Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

A hot water pipe burst and flooded my the hallway on my floor. Soooo a new exciting way to have things going wrong. Hmmm.

Head for the hills! 😁

wim

On 20/03/2021 at 05:44, Allan Bell said:

If lockdown continues much longer I will take my razor to my hair and do myself a Bruce Willis.🤪

Allan

did it years ago, it's actually lots of work to maintain, so now down to short sheer every 2 weeks

note for anyone going this route for first time, remember your scalp may not be used to that much sun.... Also realise the hair was providing a bit of padding, even if you didn't have much, you will notice on you first hail storm....  

6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

and we are likely heading back into mock-down....  so tired of the half measures...

There was a piece on tv this evening about Canadian citizens returning from elsewhere, even with a negative test, being forced into lockdown at hotels for 3 days (and not allowed to leave) at their great expense. Is that true? I never know what is true and what’s not, anymore.

On 20/03/2021 at 01:20, Bryan said:

My missus cut both my hair and that of the kids while she also made most of their clothes when they were young. Our mothers were both seamstresses so making clothes was what you did. I still hear the sowing machine in action occasionally, and have had to fix it a few times. I guess that these activities are dying, to the best of my knowledge our daughters in law don't possess a sowing machine. 

My mother was a great seamstress. When we three girls were small, she used to make patterns from newspaper, then sew our dresses. There was a lot of “come here” then slapping newspaper to our bodies while scissors were working.  All of the dressmaking was done on an old Singer sewing machine that had the foot rocker pedal. She still occasionally sewed for us when we were adults, and made most of her own fashionable clothes. She started the hair-cutting movement with her own and ours. I just carried it on.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

There was a piece on tv this evening about Canadian citizens returning from elsewhere, even with a negative test, being forced into lockdown at hotels for 3 days (and not allowed to leave) at their great expense. Is that true? I never know what is true and what’s not, anymore.

In Australia, it's 14 days in hotel quarantine to the returning traveller's expense. There has been protests when meals served in those hotels were a disgrace. I've seen pictures, yuk!!!! 

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, gvallee said:

In Australia, it's 14 days in hotel quarantine to the returning traveller's expense. There has been protests when meals served in those hotels were a disgrace. I've seen pictures, yuk!!!! 

My brother-in-law will have to be quarantined again when he returns to Australia after another work trip to Amsterdam. In normal times we would have met up with him on some of  his trips to Europe, now it's just via FaceTime.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes Canada has a weak quarantine (3 days, proper countries have 14) program in place for people returning.  Negative test is meaningless, cases will take up to two weeks to develop, and you can still get infected after.

except for the Atlantic Provinces and the Northern Territories our responses trying to please everyone and not follow science has been dismal.

Edited by meanderingemu

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

and Australia has one of the lowest death rate in the world.

• Love 2

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My mother was a great seamstress. When we three girls were small, she used to make patterns from newspaper, then sew our dresses. There was a lot of “come here” then slapping newspaper to our bodies while scissors were working.  All of the dressmaking was done on an old Singer sewing machine that had the foot rocker pedal. She still occasionally sewed for us when we were adults, and made most of her own fashionable clothes. She started the hair-cutting movement with her own and ours. I just carried it on.

We had one of those old machines and when I started using the electric ones it was harder to control what I was doing.

Paulette

• Love 1

On 01/04/2021 at 06:40, NYCat said:

We had one of those old machines and when I started using the electric ones it was harder to control what I was doing.

Paulette

It was the jackrabbit start of the electric ones! B)

The coldest days of April are here and my gas boiler for central heating has packed up (broken down), and the gas engineer will not be here till Tuesday to fix it.

BRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!

Allan

39 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

The coldest days of April are here and my gas boiler for central heating has packed up (broken down), and the gas engineer will not be here till Tuesday to fix it.

BRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!

Allan

First the washing machine, then the boiler.........your new house seems to be broken, can't you send it back?😀

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

First the washing machine, then the boiler.........your new house seems to be broken, can't you send it back?😀

The washing machine was the fault of the manufacturer and it did go back and a different makers machine was supplied by the retailer.😃

The house is not new but the boiler has been in situ since it was built and this is the first time in 17 years (from past records) that it has gone wrong. After this repair the Ideal Classic will be good for another 17 years.😇

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

The washing machine was the fault of the manufacturer and it did go back and a different makers machine was supplied by the retailer.😃

The house is not new but the boiler has been in situ since it was built and this is the first time in 17 years (from past records) that it has gone wrong. After this repair the Ideal Classic will be good for another 17 years.😇

Allan

Don’t feel alone. After buying this house 3 years ago, I’ve had to fix the heater twice, replace the A/C, fix the garage door opener and repair a leak in the refrigerator.
Let’s not discuss the hail storm that trashed the roof and siding.

That's the way it goes with home ownership.

That said, there is a shortage of homes for sale in the U.S.  In 3 years time, the worth of my house has increased $45,000. Part of that increase was from renovations, but mostly not.
I have people contacting me by mail a lot inquiring if I would sell my house. They send “love letters” with pictures of them, their kids, and their pet along with what they do for a living and the dreams my house would fulfill. What I had done to the exterior and yard greatly improved the curb appeal and the neighborhood is nice. I suspect I’ll downsize at some point since it is just me and Echo here. Just not yet.

I have to ask...what is a boiler? Does the gas flame in your heater boil water, sending steam to units heating the house?

My heater is gas flame heating the air, then sending warm air through centralized vents in each room.  It’s simply called central heat and air.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have to ask...what is a boiler? Does the gas flame in your heater boil water, sending steam to units heating the house?

My heater is gas flame heating the air, then sending warm air through centralized vents in each room.  It’s simply called central heat and air.

I could be wrong but I thought it was the hot water heater...for hot water in the house, not to heat the house

Well I would'nt want you chaps to worry, but whilst we call it a boiler it doesn't actually boil the water.

The water temp is around 60 to 75C and is pumped around the radiators to heat the house and through an insulated tank to heat the hot water.

Stay safe. 😉

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic