Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've lived through and embraced the many dramatic hairstyle changes of past decades—neatly cut every two weeks, allowed to grow down to my shoulder blades, and now taken  it down the roots with my Braun beard trimmer. I've decided not to dye my hair green or orange. That seems too political.

 

In New York, when barbers started charging $50 a head, I became my own trimmer. My last steady barber was Sal, who spoke to me non-stop in a mix of English, Italian, and Sicilian, to which I would utter an occasional approving grunt of agreement to whatever it was he was saying. 

 

Here in Merseyside, the Turkish and Kurdish barbers are very good and charge me only £7. They have all been closed these past months, of course. 

That’s why I cut my own hair and my kids. There were many other uses for the money, like food, shoes and clothes for three kids. Bob cut his own hair. I cut it for him the last year.
For myself, having naturally curly hair covers a multitude of sins should I make a slip-up of the scissors. Plus you learn...speaking of the hole I made when trying to cut a short area in the back. Considering I was cutting blind back there...I never made that mistake again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A hot water pipe burst and flooded my the hallway on my floor. Soooo a new exciting way to have things going wrong. Hmmm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

A hot water pipe burst and flooded my the hallway on my floor. Soooo a new exciting way to have things going wrong. Hmmm.


First fire then “rain” 😯

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

A hot water pipe burst and flooded my the hallway on my floor. Soooo a new exciting way to have things going wrong. Hmmm.

 

Head for the hills! 😁

 

wim

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:


First fire then “rain” 😯

 

HOT rain to boot.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The building management sorted things out. I thought this would go on for days. Someone named Will something once said, "All's well that ends well."

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2021 at 05:44, Allan Bell said:

 

If lockdown continues much longer I will take my razor to my hair and do myself a Bruce Willis.🤪

 

Allan

 

 

did it years ago, it's actually lots of work to maintain, so now down to short sheer every 2 weeks

 

note for anyone going this route for first time, remember your scalp may not be used to that much sun.... Also realise the hair was providing a bit of padding, even if you didn't have much, you will notice on you first hail storm....  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

and we are likely heading back into mock-down....  so tired of the half measures...

There was a piece on tv this evening about Canadian citizens returning from elsewhere, even with a negative test, being forced into lockdown at hotels for 3 days (and not allowed to leave) at their great expense. Is that true? I never know what is true and what’s not, anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2021 at 01:20, Bryan said:

My missus cut both my hair and that of the kids while she also made most of their clothes when they were young. Our mothers were both seamstresses so making clothes was what you did. I still hear the sowing machine in action occasionally, and have had to fix it a few times. I guess that these activities are dying, to the best of my knowledge our daughters in law don't possess a sowing machine. 

My mother was a great seamstress. When we three girls were small, she used to make patterns from newspaper, then sew our dresses. There was a lot of “come here” then slapping newspaper to our bodies while scissors were working.  All of the dressmaking was done on an old Singer sewing machine that had the foot rocker pedal. She still occasionally sewed for us when we were adults, and made most of her own fashionable clothes. She started the hair-cutting movement with her own and ours. I just carried it on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

There was a piece on tv this evening about Canadian citizens returning from elsewhere, even with a negative test, being forced into lockdown at hotels for 3 days (and not allowed to leave) at their great expense. Is that true? I never know what is true and what’s not, anymore.

 

In Australia, it's 14 days in hotel quarantine to the returning traveller's expense. There has been protests when meals served in those hotels were a disgrace. I've seen pictures, yuk!!!! 

 

Edited by gvallee
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, gvallee said:

 

In Australia, it's 14 days in hotel quarantine to the returning traveller's expense. There has been protests when meals served in those hotels were a disgrace. I've seen pictures, yuk!!!! 

 

 

My brother-in-law will have to be quarantined again when he returns to Australia after another work trip to Amsterdam. In normal times we would have met up with him on some of  his trips to Europe, now it's just via FaceTime.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

There was a piece on tv this evening about Canadian citizens returning from elsewhere, even with a negative test, being forced into lockdown at hotels for 3 days (and not allowed to leave) at their great expense. Is that true? I never know what is true and what’s not, anymore.

Yes Canada has a weak quarantine (3 days, proper countries have 14) program in place for people returning.  Negative test is meaningless, cases will take up to two weeks to develop, and you can still get infected after.

 

except for the Atlantic Provinces and the Northern Territories our responses trying to please everyone and not follow science has been dismal.

Edited by meanderingemu
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

In Australia, it's 14 days in hotel quarantine to the returning traveller's expense. There has been protests when meals served in those hotels were a disgrace. I've seen pictures, yuk!!!! 

 

 

and Australia has one of the lowest death rate in the world.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My mother was a great seamstress. When we three girls were small, she used to make patterns from newspaper, then sew our dresses. There was a lot of “come here” then slapping newspaper to our bodies while scissors were working.  All of the dressmaking was done on an old Singer sewing machine that had the foot rocker pedal. She still occasionally sewed for us when we were adults, and made most of her own fashionable clothes. She started the hair-cutting movement with her own and ours. I just carried it on.

 

We had one of those old machines and when I started using the electric ones it was harder to control what I was doing.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2021 at 06:40, NYCat said:

 

We had one of those old machines and when I started using the electric ones it was harder to control what I was doing.

 

Paulette

It was the jackrabbit start of the electric ones! B)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It was the jackrabbit start of the electric ones!

Who said that Brits and Americans are "divided by a common language"?  😎

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The coldest days of April are here and my gas boiler for central heating has packed up (broken down), and the gas engineer will not be here till Tuesday to fix it.

 

BRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!

 

Allan

 

 

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

The coldest days of April are here and my gas boiler for central heating has packed up (broken down), and the gas engineer will not be here till Tuesday to fix it.

 

BRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr!

 

Allan

 

 

First the washing machine, then the boiler.........your new house seems to be broken, can't you send it back?😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

First the washing machine, then the boiler.........your new house seems to be broken, can't you send it back?😀

 

The washing machine was the fault of the manufacturer and it did go back and a different makers machine was supplied by the retailer.😃

 

The house is not new but the boiler has been in situ since it was built and this is the first time in 17 years (from past records) that it has gone wrong. After this repair the Ideal Classic will be good for another 17 years.😇

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

The washing machine was the fault of the manufacturer and it did go back and a different makers machine was supplied by the retailer.😃

 

The house is not new but the boiler has been in situ since it was built and this is the first time in 17 years (from past records) that it has gone wrong. After this repair the Ideal Classic will be good for another 17 years.😇

 

Allan

 

Don’t feel alone. After buying this house 3 years ago, I’ve had to fix the heater twice, replace the A/C, fix the garage door opener and repair a leak in the refrigerator.
Let’s not discuss the hail storm that trashed the roof and siding.

That's the way it goes with home ownership.

That said, there is a shortage of homes for sale in the U.S.  In 3 years time, the worth of my house has increased $45,000. Part of that increase was from renovations, but mostly not.
I have people contacting me by mail a lot inquiring if I would sell my house. They send “love letters” with pictures of them, their kids, and their pet along with what they do for a living and the dreams my house would fulfill. What I had done to the exterior and yard greatly improved the curb appeal and the neighborhood is nice. I suspect I’ll downsize at some point since it is just me and Echo here. Just not yet.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to ask...what is a boiler? Does the gas flame in your heater boil water, sending steam to units heating the house?

My heater is gas flame heating the air, then sending warm air through centralized vents in each room.  It’s simply called central heat and air.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.