Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes, I love Russian Blues. These two were sweet too. Until they weren't. I think I needed to find a different way to get the scarf but the whole thing was so unexpected. He had become much too excited about the scarf. Of course, I always smell of many cats. Dogs in elevators with me are always curious about all my smells.

Paulette

Of course you know, Paulette, that any animal, wild or domestic, can be dangerous depending on the circumstances. A deer can gut you; cows can trample you. I knew a guy in NYC who was killed by a mute swan protecting a nest full of of new signets. He was hit in the temple by the large birds wing. 

Me? Here in Liverpool city centre, I just have to put up with crazed young drunks, false alarms, and endless inconveniences. There was another alarm 15 mins ago . . . but the hot water is back. Am I in a combat zone?

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes, I love Russian Blues. These two were sweet too. Until they weren't. I think I needed to find a different way to get the scarf but the whole thing was so unexpected. He had become much too excited about the scarf. Of course, I always smell of many cats. Dogs in elevators with me are always curious about all my smells.

Paulette

Maybe he was neutered after he reached sexual maturity.  My family had a cat, Winkie, in a period where vets wanted to wait until the male cats were around a year old before neutering them.  Winkie had girl cats coming to visit before we had him altered.  For the rest of his life, occasionally, we'd hear my baby sister said, "Winkie is flirting with me," and have to peel him carefully off her leg.

The Chamorros, a local feudal family,  have convinced the US and its allies that the current Chamorro pick for President is democratic, honest, and doesn't have a husband who stole so much during his mother-in-law's time as President that the US suspended aid to Nicaragua for six months.   A friend pointed out that Violetta Chamorro, the mother of the would-be candidate, passed the law against taking money from foreign sources (then aimed at the Russians and the FSLN) to influence Nicaraguan politics. 

The demonstrations in 2018 were about as peaceful and non-violent as January 6 was at the US Capitol.  We had one day in Jinotega where both sides did the right thing, did demonstrate peacefully while the police kept them apart, then the opposition decided to tear up the streets and build barricades, and defended some of them with motaros (hand cannons that used gunpowder to lob rocks) and some small arms.  The police had better weapons, but the local "peaceful, non-violent" demonstrators managed to burn a health department truck and the Agricorp facility.

Muy feo. 

This happened yesterday but only got back now to post.

Decided to go into Lincoln for a walk maybe take photos and purchase one or two items. caught the early afternoon bus. (free ride) Traffic seemed a lot heavier than usual and the bus was kept waiting in queues for quite a lot longer than usual. As we approached the bus station I saw the reason why, "PELHAM BRIDGE" was "CLOSED". The bus was late arriving at the bus station.

Just for those who do not know Pelham Bridge is on the main dual carriageway route through Lincoln city on the north/south route taking traffic over the railway line that runs east/west through lower Lincoln, and yes it is closed in BOTH directions to vehicles, cycles and pedestrians for major remedial work. This bridge was opened in June 1958 and carries a heavy load of traffic every day so it is obviously showing it's age and in need of some serious work so it may continue. Apparently it will be closed for 6 weeks.

While walking around the city I noted that the traffic was piling up on other minor roads trying to get around the closed bridge but did not think much about it and carried on with what I was doing.  I wanted to catch the 4.10 pm bus back home and got to the station about 10 minutes early. After a couple of minutes waiting I realised that the bridge closure was having a big effect on the bus timetables as other routes were coming in late. Needless to say the 4.10 pm bus never arrived at the station while I was there and the queue of passengers for this bus increased and increased and -----. In the end the dispatcher brought in another bus and we all managed to squeeze on having to ignore social distancing and then wait till 4.40 pm before we could leave to allow other passenger on who would normally travel on that bus too. On the trip back home I noted that the NEW EASTERN BYPASS was full of traffic. Much more than normal. So much so that the bus was held up for some time waiting to negotiate the roundabout that we have to use to cross the new bypass.

I am NOT going back into the City until Pelham bridge is open again.

Allan

• Love 1

Power outage for five or six hours today.   Seems to have been from the Mexico/Guatemala border down to Panama, with restoration in stages, some sooner than here.  Something got fried on major lines between Mexico and Guatemala. 

22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Decided to go into Lincoln for a walk maybe take photos and purchase one or two items. caught the early afternoon bus. (free ride) Traffic seemed a lot heavier than usual and the bus was kept waiting in queues for quite a lot longer than usual. As we approached the bus station I saw the reason why, "PELHAM BRIDGE" was "CLOSED". The bus was late arriving at the bus station.

Just for those who do not know Pelham Bridge is on the main dual carriageway route through Lincoln city on the north/south route taking traffic over the railway line that runs east/west through lower Lincoln, and yes it is closed in BOTH directions to vehicles, cycles and pedestrians for major remedial work. This bridge was opened in June 1958 and carries a heavy load of traffic every day so it is obviously showing it's age and in need of some serious work so it may continue. Apparently it will be closed for 6 weeks.

While walking around the city I noted that the traffic was piling up on other minor roads trying to get around the closed bridge but did not think much about it and carried on with what I was doing.  I wanted to catch the 4.10 pm bus back home and got to the station about 10 minutes early. After a couple of minutes waiting I realised that the bridge closure was having a big effect on the bus timetables as other routes were coming in late. Needless to say the 4.10 pm bus never arrived at the station while I was there and the queue of passengers for this bus increased and increased and -----. In the end the dispatcher brought in another bus and we all managed to squeeze on having to ignore social distancing and then wait till 4.40 pm before we could leave to allow other passenger on who would normally travel on that bus too. On the trip back home I noted that the NEW EASTERN BYPASS was full of traffic. Much more than normal. So much so that the bus was held up for some time waiting to negotiate the roundabout that we have to use to cross the new bypass.

Allan

Aaand you did take pictures of all of that? 😁

wim

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Trendsetter!

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/lincoln-pelham-bridge-closed-live-5503962

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Aaand you did take pictures of all of that? 😁

wim

In the light of things I just could not be bothered.

Allan

One of the anti-Ortega/anti-FSLN people used one of my photos from 2018, complete with Alamy watermarks, in a Twitter or FB post to "prove that the FSLN were terrorists."   Both sides had mortaros (hand held cannons with power charged about the size of a juice can dropped in with the fuse exposed, rocks or metal bits put on top of the charge, and the fuse lit, which almost no outside news sources seem to get right, but I've watched people prep mortaros for firing).   Guy was using a bit of Trump's face as his banner.

I understand that Alamy won't go after these social media thefts. 

Update, the guy seems to have taken down my photo with Alamy watermarks all over it, so just calling someone a thief can make a difference.

Edited by MizBrown

Jeff (my son) came yesterday and began putting my inversion table together. He reached a certain place, then got stuck. He handed me the instructions and asked if I saw something he didn’t. We tried several things, then Jeff looked at the parts section again.  We were missing the two parts (one for each side) that attach the table to the frame.

While this was ordered through Amazon, a seller took the order. When I notified her of the missing part, she sent an auto-reply she would be away until June 22, then she would address my email. Then no telling how long before the missing parts are sent, or if she even has them.

I sent a reply, she probably won’t read it, that her answer was unacceptable. She has close to $500 of my son’s money, and we have nothing usable.

Next step is to go through Amazon.

Continuing on from my post in the good thing thread:

I need three pairs of spectacles. One for driving. (Bifocals for distance/seeing the dashboard with grey transitions for bright sun). Two for reading. And three for computer work.(mid distance).

Cost to me just shy of £400 ($560 approx). BAD Thing. The receipt did say I had saved £227.50. Hah!

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Continuing on from my post in the good thing thread:

I need three pairs of spectacles. One for driving. (Bifocals for distance/seeing the dashboard with grey transitions for bright sun). Two for reading. And three for computer work.(mid distance).

Cost to me just shy of £400 ($560 approx). BAD Thing. The receipt did say I had saved £227.50. Hah!

Allan

Good choices, Allan. The blended trifocals have too small of areas for mid and near, especially the mid-range. I tried them once when I could get them at cost when I worked for the ophthalmologist, and wore my neck and eyes out trying to find the thin line that worked. I didn’t keep them. My reading glasses, though, work for reading and the computer. I don’t need correction for distance. So it’s one pair for me. Cataract/implant surgery corrected my astigmatism, so I can get well-made readers at rhe pharmacy for about $30.

If you don’t have astigmatism, you could have gone that way.

I saw my optometrist today and my eyes are still almost the same as they were 18 months ago. So I have drugstore readers and slightly less strong ones for the computer. My cataracts are still very mild and don't interfere with me vision at this point. Happy day.

Paulette

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I saw my optometrist today and my eyes are still almost the same as they were 18 months ago. So I have drugstore readers and slightly less strong ones for the computer. My cataracts are still very mild and don't interfere with me vision at this point. Happy day.

Paulette

It’s great buying those rather than spending the big bucks, isn’t it? You have slow growing cataracts. Mine were, too, until suddenly they took a leap. You’ll know when they do. I started to say, when you can’t read the street signs until you are on top of them driving…😁 but that works for walking, too.

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

My optometrist said exactly the same thing. But you worked for one!

Paulette

Yes I did, an ophthalmologist. I watched him do cataract surgery and I assisted in office surgery which usually was opening up chalazions.  Infected oil glands in the eyelid. First time…patient lying on back. I hand sterile instruments to doc. He slices open the lump. Patient feels faint, doctor tells me to break an ammonia capsule and wave it under her nose.

I do that, getting a good look at the blood and pus around her eyeball. I feel faint. Sit on a stool and wave the capsule under my nose and the doctor catches me at it and grins.

I was better the next time.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good choices, Allan. The blended trifocals have too small of areas for mid and near, especially the mid-range. I tried them once when I could get them at cost when I worked for the ophthalmologist, and wore my neck and eyes out trying to find the thin line that worked. I didn’t keep them. My reading glasses, though, work for reading and the computer. I don’t need correction for distance. So it’s one pair for me. Cataract/implant surgery corrected my astigmatism, so I can get well-made readers at rhe pharmacy for about $30.

If you don’t have astigmatism, you could have gone that way.

I tried varifocals once for driving. Absolutely useless for me I had to move my head so often to see clearly my neck joint came loose and my head flopped to one side.

My reading specs are not suitable for working on my 27" iMac. I have to sit about 28" away from the screen. Reading is usually about 14".

Another bad thing - The opthawhatsit said He could see the start of cataracts in both eyes but fortunately only very slight now.😎

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I tried varifocals once for driving. Absolutely useless for me I had to move my head so often to see clearly my neck joint came loose and my head flopped to one side.

My reading specs are not suitable for working on my 27" iMac. I have to sit about 28" away from the screen. Reading is usually about 14".

Another bad thing - The opthawhatsit said He could see the start of cataracts in both eyes but fortunately only very slight now.😎

Allan

I've had varificals for a number of years.

I think the opticians try and push you down that route so they can charge more (?) than having just one or the other lenses.

I know what you mean about moving your head often. 

At times I thought I was moving my head like a hen !

I don't want varifocals again.

🤓

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was about to come in here and bitch about an app scene I had in a restaurant yesterday, but after reading about all these eyesight problems, I'll just shut up. 🤭

Aww, c’mon Edo, I want to hear it!

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmmm, okay, I'll be back and bitching in a bit. 🤨

Need some light relief after 100+ pages on the contract. 🤦‍♂️ Moan away Ed

• Love 1