Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

My shower saga continues. Did I ever talk about it here? Probably. So they put in a new tile floor and now they have taken it up again. It seems there is a hole in the lead pan so I need a new one. I tell you, I'm not even sure that will be the end of it. They also had to replace a cracked pipe coming from my kitchen sink. That seems to have worked. The glass doors from my shower are sitting in my living room for a while. The GOOD thing is that my nice neighbor across the hall is away and has given me her keys so I have her bathroom to use. What a blessing.

Paulette

This has been the summer of my discontent, so many things going wrong, sorry it spread to NYC.  You need to buy something that will give you a lift.  With me, it is my new guitar.

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This has been the summer of my discontent, so many things going wrong, sorry it spread to NYC.  You need to buy something that will give you a lift.  With me, it is my new guitar.

What good advice. I have been admiring all of your activities.... painting, gardening, and now playing the guitar. I've been feeling kind of stuck for a long time. I have a lovely life but still somehow discontent. I'll figure it out.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

What good advice. I have been admiring all of your activities.... painting, gardening, and now playing the guitar. I've been feeling kind of stuck for a long time. I have a lovely life but still somehow discontent. I'll figure it out.

Paulette

Good for you!

BTW, I’m raising 4 Monarch caterpillars, also. At least 3 times a day, I sit in front of the butterfly cage and watch them. They are little eating machines. I just pick a fresh milkweed sprig off my plants every few days to feed them.

From last year

2D9D3AN.jpg
This one had just shed its skin. They do that multiple times as they grow.

2D9P5HW.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you!

BTW, I’m raising 4 Monarch caterpillars, also. At least 3 times a day, I sit in front of the butterfly cage and watch them. They are little eating machines. I just pick a fresh milkweed sprig off my plants every few days to feed them.

From last year

2D9D3AN.jpg

2D9P5HW.jpg

How wonderful!

Paulette

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you!

From last year

2D9D3AN.jpg

2D9P5HW.jpg

Hope everything is OK with your Monarchs this time round and you can watch them fly away from home.

A bit like children.

Allan

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I waited in all day for my new lens and it didn't arrive.  To say I'm angry is an understatement.  DO NOT USE DHL - worst company ever!

At least they did not arrive.   Not like Parcel Force, they knock on your door and by the time you reach it and open it they are driving off in the distance.

Allan

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

At least they did not arrive.   Not like Parcel Force, they knock on your door and by the time you reach it and open it they are driving off in the distance.

Allan

Drives me mad.  In Ireland, the driver knocks on the door, dumps the parcel and just drives away, whether you're in or not!  OK if it's only €50 worth of coffee, but not great if it's a €4,000 camera!

49 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I always call Parcel Force Parcel Farce.

50 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Drives me mad.  In Ireland, the driver knocks on the door, dumps the parcel and just drives away, whether you're in or not!  OK if it's only €50 worth of coffee, but not great if it's a €4,000 camera!

Not my experience. Perhaps you are over-generalising.  I have posted many registered parcels to Ireland over the years and never had one left outside anyone's door. If the person is not in they leave a card to arrange redelivery or collection - An Post, DPD, UPS, Fedex. 

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hope everything is OK with your Monarchs this time round and you can watch them fly away from home.

A bit like children.

Allan

I think I harvested the eggs right after they were laid, so I’m hoping no predictor got to them first. Surely out of four, I should be successful with one or two. I’ll know in about 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Not my experience. Perhaps you are over-generalising.  I have posted many registered parcels to Ireland over the years and never had one left outside anyone's door. If the person is not in they leave a card to arrange redelivery or collection - An Post, DPD, UPS, Fedex. 

Perhaps they have seen your avatar and don't want to cross you.

Paulette

7 hours ago, MDM said:

Nope - every single parcel I’ve had delivered since Feb last year has been dumped at the door, whether I’m in or not.  An Post, DPD, DHL, Nightline etc. 

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Nope - every single parcel I’ve had delivered since Feb last year has been dumped at the door, whether I’m in or not.  An Post, DPD, DHL, Nightline etc. 

I am guessing you live in a  quiet rural area. Imagine the chaos if that was happening in Dublin. Time to drop this at the door in any case. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I am guessing you live in a  quiet rural area. Imagine the chaos if that was happening in Dublin. Time to drop this at the door in any case. 

Yep, West Cork, near Clonakilty.

Took my nice 14 year old limo in to the body shop this morning to have some dings and scratches repaired, kindly donated by people in car parks while it was parked, and one or two done by oneself.  Also the alloy wheels are beginning to corrode where the lacquer has worn away so they are going for acid dip and repaint too.

The first bad thing is the cost. Arrrrgh!  But I have decided to keep the limo and it will last me another 10 years yet so worth doing.

Second bad thing is they say it will be about two weeks.

The third bad thing is they gave me a courtesy car which is a midget and terrible to drive. Fortunately the courtesy car is FREE for the two weeks and just return it with the same amount of fuel in the tank as when I collected it. No milage payment either. But if I am involved in an accident then Oh Ohh!

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Today there turned out to be another leak that necessitated taking my cabinet above the bathroom sink off and cutting a hole in the wall. Fortunately, they were able to ascertain that the leak comes from above me. Whew! My old cat Possum’s litter is in the bedroom now but he tends to forget that. One night I just managed to save him from peeing on the paper that was covering the shower floor. Last night I kept the door to the bathroom closed because there was wet cement. He tried to go in and then came to me for help. I took him to the bedroom. Poor guy. Poor me.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Today there turned out to be another leak that necessitated taking my cabinet above the bathroom sink off and cutting a hole in the wall. Fortunately, they were able to ascertain that the leak comes from above me. Whew! My old cat Possum’s litter is in the bedroom now but he tends to forget that. One night I just managed to save him from peeing on the paper that was covering the shower floor. Last night I kept the door to the bathroom closed because there was wet cement. He tried to go in and then came to me for help. I took him to the bedroom. Poor guy. Poor me.

Paulette

Creatures of habit.  Both of you?

Allan

• Like 1

More bad news. Now they are making a hole in the wall under my bathroom sink. Lots of consultations in Serbo-Croatian ( I think). Our super and most of the workmen are from the former Yugoslavia. They do really good work and leave everything as clean as possible. Having a good super is very important in NYC.

Paulette

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sally R said:

My previous car also had multiple dings donated by others. I could point to them and say, that's the IKEA carpark ding, that's the one from South Beach carpark etc.

Reminds me of a neighbours daughter's first car. It accumulated various dents and scrapes, she stuck large 'ouch' stickers alongside them. Was always meaning to photograph them but she moved away from home before I got around to it.

On 14/07/2021 at 21:48, Colblimp said:

Maybe a one off. I've never had a parcel dumped on the doorstep. Normally left with a neighbour or instructions left to pick it up from some inconvenient location. If possible I ask them to leave the item in the greenhouse, but I guess that's not what you would want with a high value product.  Maybe a rogue driver, or do you live in an isolated spot where leaving a parcel would be low risk?

We recently had to replace the heavy caravan battery and I had one delivered the next day (NOT Amaz**) and costing quite a bit less than any local retail outlets - don't know how they do it. 

22 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Yep, West Cork, near Clonakilty.

Yeah I know you live in West Cork. The point I was making is that this would only happen in really rural areas outside of towns. There is no way delivery people would just drop registered parcels that require a signature at doorways in a town or city in Ireland. 

On 15/07/2021 at 00:17, NYCat said:

Perhaps they have seen your avatar and don't want to cross you.

Paulette

I am probably more scary with the mask off 💀. Anyway I was talking about me being the sender of the parcels not the receiver.

• Alamy locked this topic