Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Sorry to hear that Helen, hope the repair isn't too expensive. And yes, lucky it wasn't thrown on the ground I guess and that he didn't hit you. Hope your camera's not out of action too long. Just take it as 'scouting' when you go outside and see things you want to shoot...

Thank you Stephen.

I have done just that what you have suggested.  Earlier this morning I took it out again with the LCD scotch taped, only I was able to use it.  I was determined to get some shots of a Goldfinch I saw yesterday but the images I got yesterday had some distractions in the background so went out again today and got lucky.  I'll be parting with the camera for about 3-4 months I have been told by the camera store.  Been given a number of another place to try that might be able to get it done sooner before I bring it in to them.

Worse things have happened to most photographers I am sure compared to this.  But still in fifteen years this is a first for me.

Helen

Edited by hsessions

Went shopping today for my usual two weekly grocery shop. When I got back home I realised I had forgotten to buy three of the items on my list.

Now I will have to go back later just for those.😠😠😠

Allan

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Went shopping today for my usual two weekly grocery shop. When I got back home I realised I had forgotten to buy three of the items on my list.

Allan

I'll put a spin on that. Consider yourself lucky that the nearest shop is not 200km away or more as is often the case in Oz away from the coasts....

42 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Exercise?

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

My God, that sounds like one of the most famous pages from Irish history — 1845 to 1852.

Unlike the Irish population back then, I'll just eat another foodstuff.  You will pay the price if you're a fussy eater...

15 hours ago, Colblimp said:

The whole of the potato crop at our allotment has been decimated by blight.  😢

You sure it's blight Andy, early season blight does happen, but unusual ?

55 minutes ago, Bryan said:

You sure it's blight Andy, early season blight does happen, but unusual ?

Yeah, leaves are yellow and plants are dying.  Potatoes are very small but oh so tasty!  I'll just try again next year with a different variety.  The thing is, all my allotment neighbours are blight free and they didn't spray copper mix...  It's all a learning curve.

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

Yeah, leaves are yellow and plants are dying.  Potatoes are very small but oh so tasty!  I'll just try again next year with a different variety.  The thing is, all my allotment neighbours are blight free and they didn't spray copper mix...  It's all a learning curve.

A couple of mine have gone down with black leg, I removed and destroyed the tops but we got a boiling of small spuds. This causes a similar look to the leaves, i.e. yellow, but blight is normally brown with a grey ring on he underside. Different climate over here though, a good deal dryer - although it rained heavily yesterday and all last night.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

A couple of mine have gone down with black leg, I removed and destroyed the tops but we got a boiling of small spuds. This causes a similar look to the leaves, i.e. yellow, but blight is normally brown with a grey ring on he underside. Different climate over here though, a good deal dryer - although it rained heavily yesterday and all last night.

Hmmm, interesting.  The whole crop has gone now, anyway so I'll keep them in the ground and just dig a few every couple of days.  Next year...

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Hmmm, interesting.  The whole crop has gone now, anyway so I'll keep them in the ground and just dig a few every couple of days.  Next year...

Sorry to be depressing, but if it were me I'd lift and wash the lot.  If it is blight the spores may have fallen onto the soil, and there is a risk that the tubers might become  infected,

I've had an entire crop damaged by rats in the past, they like to nibble each and every spud, while slugs are also partial to a tasty potato, so I plant early, risk the frosts, and lift ASAP.  Having said that, I hope my current lot of Charlotte and Red Rooster will stand for a few weeks yet. 

We have International Kidney, Charlotte and Winston all cropping well…….but the blackfly have descended on the broad beans! Luckily as we over wintered them we have picked a lot already. 

18 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sorry to be depressing, but if it were me I'd lift and wash the lot.  If it is blight the spores may have fallen onto the soil, and there is a risk that the tubers might become  infected,

I've had an entire crop damaged by rats in the past, they like to nibble each and every spud, while slugs are also partial to a tasty potato, so I plant early, risk the frosts, and lift ASAP.  Having said that, I hope my current lot of Charlotte and Red Rooster will stand for a few weeks yet. 

Oh dear.  How do I store all those spuds once they’re dug?

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

In a brown paper sack (top closed) in a cool dry place where the sunlight cannot get to it.

Allan

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Ta muchly.  👍

I'm not a gardener, either veg, fruit nor flowers. but living in a farming community some years ago I did learn a bit.

Allan

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm not a gardener, either veg, fruit nor flowers. but living in a farming community some years ago I did learn a bit.

Allan

I bow to your greater knowledge, Master. 👍

9 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Be careful to ensure that none of the tubers are affected by the blight or whatever it is the tops suffered from, discarding any that are dubious, as the rot will spread throughout the batch otherwise.  A sack in a dark place is a good solution for healthy spuds, but, personally, I store mine in ventilated trays within the garage. That way, if one turns bad, its effect on the others will be limited. I also check them periodically and discard any that might have turned bad.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bryan said:

Be careful to ensure that none of the tubers are affected by the blight or whatever it is the tops suffered from, discarding any that are dubious, as the rot will spread throughout the batch otherwise.  A sack in a dark place is a good solution for healthy spuds, but, personally, I store mine in ventilated trays within the garage. That way, if one turns bad, its effect on the others will be limited. I also check them periodically and discard any that might have turned bad.

Good call, I'll check them as I dig.  We don't have a garage, but my girlfriend has a dark back passage which we could fit a sack of spuds in quite easily... 😳

We've just returned from a trip to Scotland, visiting Dunbar and Edinburgh - which, overall, was a very good thing.

However we took a walk along the coast just south of Dunbar where a large golf course extends to the beach. There is a public right of way along this stretch, it's called the John Muir Way, after the famous Scottish-American environmentalist.

Tilted Devonian red sandstone outcrops along the coast south east of Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland, UK Stock Photo

The greens extend right up to the path and squeeze it against the coastline, while every 80 yards or so there are large signs warning that walkers must give way to golfers and that that  is enshrined in Scottish law.  I've no wish to disrupt people playing golf, and you certainly won't catch me running across their greens, but this felt very unwelcoming and unfriendly.   A change in the wording would make all the difference, e.g. We welcome walkers, but would you please etc etc, while the path could be wider and the greens less intrusive upon it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Good call, I'll check them as I dig.  We don't have a garage, but my girlfriend has a dark back passage which we could fit a sack of spuds in quite easily... 😳

😂

We dig our spuds, allow them to dry out for a day then store in hessian sacks in the garage. Usually have enough to last until about next March….

• Alamy locked this topic