Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nine great granddaughters — wow, Betty, that's fabulous!

Yes! Beautiful, well-behaved sweet girls who love their Mimi! Here are two of them, sisters. Alice & Lucy. (My middle name is Alice)

W3TP1D.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3

Went up to my local CO-OP for some items of food this afternoon as it is only a 10 minute walk each way and got soaked going and coming back.

Allan

58 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Went up to my local CO-OP for some items of food this afternoon as it is only a 10 minute walk each way and got soaked going and coming back.

Allan

Better than getting snockered going and coming. You might have fallen into the puddles.

My government seems to be beating the drums for actions, either financial or more, against my country of residence.  Three parties including one definitely opposition party have been certified for the upcoming election in the fall, but the people who the US was paying to agitate against the current government have been detained (house arrest) or arrested (jail, apparently).  The expat community has known that the government is checking dollar accounts for large sums of money being brought in, and NGOs have had to show the government their books to get recertified -- where is money coming from and how has it been spent in Nicaragua.   We're also getting in people who want to feed Nicaraguan school children milk and a treat to help with nutrition.  Many people here are lactose-intolerant, so uncultivated milk is not a good idea, especially not for kids with significant indigenous genes, which is often lots of the country people.  Meanwhile, El Salvador is going to try some scheme to take dollar remittances and turn them into fractional Bitcoin. 

I have a nice life here, and I don't look forward to the US making a mess of things here.  In these countries, governments need to be economically mixed and there has to be a safety net for the poor.  Ortega's government is building new hospitals and roads.  The opposition historically closes the free clinics and hospitals and takes the money for themselves. 

Edited by MizBrown
typo
  • Dislike 1

I was checking this months zooms for usage, and I found what appears to be an unreported use in the Bucks Free Press, from January this year. Not credited. Article written by an 'apprentice news reporter', I wonder where he obtained it from. Will now go back through all my zooms and topical subjects checking to see if I find any more. Two so far and I've hardly started. Not good. My port is almost all exclusive, but only until the new contract comes in. Will I be better off now making these non exclusive and chasing payment myself, or should they still be reported to Alamy first? 

Edited by sb photos

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Better than getting snockered going and coming. You might have fallen into the puddles.

?????????????????😖

Allan

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

I was checking this months zooms for usage, and I found what appears to be an unreported use in the Bucks Free Press, from January this year. Not credited. Article written by an 'apprentice news reporter', I wonder where he obtained it from. Will now go back through all my zooms and topical subjects checking to see if I find any more. Two so far and I've hardly started. Not good. My port is almost all exclusive, but only until the new contract comes in. Will I be better off now making these non exclusive and chasing payment myself, or should they still be reported to Alamy first? 

I don't think it would hurt to report to Alamy, although when I reported my unreported sale in May I just received an automated response though I believe that newspaper sales may take up to three months.  However as yours is January I think it's worth reporting.  My port is also mainly exclusive though I will change this when the new contract comes into effect.  If you know how much payment you should receive I think it's also probably worth chasing payment to the newspaper concerned, in my case I have no idea what my payment will be.

Carol

On 17/06/2021 at 02:38, Ed Rooney said:

Nine great granddaughters — wow, Betty, that's fabulous!

Ed, there is another in the oven. Early tests, not very reliable, indicate a boy. They’ll know more later, when far enough along that an ultrasound is feasible.

Can you imagine 9 girls 8 an under (by then) doting on a boy? Poor kid…

A bloke entered mine and my girlfriend's flat while we were out, digging through drawers, cupboards and the wardrobe looking for valuables to take and sell. Luckily a flatmate was also woken up by him entering her room, after which he went back to ours and put things back, shortly after which we returned to see the damage...

Turns out the property manager just handed a master key off to this guy and let him go free roam through our rooms to offer a "clearance quote", requested by a flatmate who's abroad at the moment.

Thankfully we have a recording of him speaking on the phone from the moment he entered the room until he left, and it was clear that even though he had no express permission to take or be in that room, he intended to take items to be checked for prices and then come back for the rest later.

He had a keen eye on my camera which was sitting out...

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

One of our local community centres is advertising a pop up cafe on Facebook….complete with Alamy watermarked image lifted straight from the website! 

The only time I found Alamy watermarked images being used was on Iranian Twitter accounts, lots of them, and they were my images.  Nothing could be done.

Edited by sb photos

On 19/06/2021 at 04:50, sb photos said:

i would hurry if you want to chase yourself, after 24 of July this technically is a breach of contract (section 4.6 is not exclusively on exclusive denoted images).  Under the current contract it likely isn't since Alamy would have to argue that someone who stole from them is a "customer" to prevent from contacting

Edited by meanderingemu

• 2 weeks later...

Out with the A6600 today, 'birding' and a bit of other stuff at our local public park.  Kid on a bike rode past at top speed and smashed his handlebar into the LCD .  Camera on Peak Design Slide strap attached to lens foot; lens horizontal held close to body and he had to fly by that close to accomplish that.  So now instead of post processing images, reviewing captions and keywords which I always manage to misspell I will be looking for replacement parts and reading about whether I can replace the LCD myself or not. 

And the good thing that happened today, which would belong in the other thread I suppose, is that the lens is intact, and the camera body internally still working, is undamaged, and he did not smash his bike into me.  Once initial shock and panic were over, I realised that it could have been a really bad day but it isn't.

Still upset though.

DSC_0067.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Helen

Edited by hsessions

13 hours ago, hsessions said:

Out with the A6600 today, 'birding' and a bit of other stuff at our local public park.  Kid on a bike rode past at top speed and smashed his handlebar into the LCD .  Camera on Peak Design Slide strap attached to lens foot; lens horizontal held close to body and he had to fly by that close to accomplish that.  So now instead of post processing images, reviewing captions and keywords which I always manage to misspell I will be looking for replacement parts and reading about whether I can replace the LCD myself or not. 

And the good thing that happened today, which would belong in the other thread I suppose, is that the lens is intact, and the camera body internally still working, is undamaged, and he did not smash his bike into me.  Once initial shock and panic were over, I realised that it could have been a really bad day but it isn't.

Still upset though.

Helen

Pleased that you are OK.

Allan

• Thanks 1

No, Edo, the bike riders here are a danger and the electric bikes are terrifying. One hit Lisa Banes when she was crossing Amsterdam in the crosswalk and with the light. She had a head injury and has died. Yes, some bike riders are responsible, but not all and now CitiBikes has plans to offer the electric bikes. I'm hoping the outcry for licensing for those bikes will put a stop to that. They scare me.

Paulette

• Like 1

This morning I am anxiously waiting for the camera store to open so I can get a quote and find out how long I will be without my now favourite camera.  At the park I avoid as much as I can the paths, walk through weeds, or on grass to avoid people.  But when forced to walk along them I am constantly turning my head to look what or who is behind me it is a sort of habit now.  Lots of bikers ride past too close and some don't give any warning signals.  Monopod purchase on hold because I know this is going to cost.

Helen

That's bad news, Paulette. I grew up in the city, in Brooklyn, and walking in traffic was an early skill. We used to play stickball in the traffic. 

As Wim will tell you, even in Amsterdam, where bike lanes are a religion, accidents happen. I saw two people get hit in the city's park in 15 minutes of the other. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

On 21/06/2021 at 18:08, RyanU said:

A bloke entered mine and my girlfriend's flat while we were out, digging through drawers, cupboards and the wardrobe looking for valuables to take and sell. Luckily a flatmate was also woken up by him entering her room, after which he went back to ours and put things back, shortly after which we returned to see the damage...

Turns out the property manager just handed a master key off to this guy and let him go free roam through our rooms to offer a "clearance quote", requested by a flatmate who's abroad at the moment.

Thankfully we have a recording of him speaking on the phone from the moment he entered the room until he left, and it was clear that even though he had no express permission to take or be in that room, he intended to take items to be checked for prices and then come back for the rest later.

I sincerely hope you have involved the police at the bare minimum.

I don't know whether you rent or own, but a lot of people I've talked to who rent (it sounds like you do here) don't know their rights. A useful tidbit of info should you need it: when you rent under a tenancy agreement you gain the same Exclusive Possession rights that you would if you owned the home. This means that you can bar anyone you like from entering without your express permission (even the LL themselves) unless they have a court order. It also means that your LL or their agent cannot simply give keys to someone acting on their behalf and allow them to enter your property without prior arrangement. This is true for properties in England, I believe it also applies in Scotland as well although the law there is slightly different in parts. I don't fully understand what's happened here but even if you expressly invited that person in it sounds like they've way overstepped the mark. If you didn't invite them expressly then your property manager is in a lot of trouble as well.

On 21/06/2021 at 18:08, RyanU said:

Wow, unbelievable. Your property manager is in big trouble! Good luck sorting this out.

21 hours ago, hsessions said:

Still upset though.

Helen

Sorry to hear that Helen, hope the repair isn't too expensive. And yes, lucky it wasn't thrown on the ground I guess and that he didn't hit you. Hope your camera's not out of action too long. Just take it as 'scouting' when you go outside and see things you want to shoot...

• Thanks 1

• Alamy locked this topic