Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Do you have an opt out for age? We do in the US. I availed myself of it.

Not from what I've read up on so far. I'll look through the information pack when it arrives in the post. Perhaps I could obviously nod off and snore and see what reaction I get.

4 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Not from what I've read up on so far. I'll look through the information pack when it arrives in the post. Perhaps I could obviously nod off and snore and see what reaction I get.

Show up and after they check you off, ask if this is where the free beans and cheese blocks are handed out? Wet your shirt under your chin to portray drool.

I was once caught for a coroners court jury duty when I lived in Hull. As the officer handed me the letter he apologised and said, "We don't have many people of your age to call on who do not have a serious conviction against them."

Not been caught since and as I am 75 not likely to be caught again - unless they raise the bar again.

Allan

On 31/07/2021 at 03:54, Allan Bell said:

I was once caught for a coroners court jury duty when I lived in Hull. As the officer handed me the letter he apologised and said, "We don't have many people of your age to call on who do not have a serious conviction against them."

Not been caught since and as I am 75 not likely to be caught again - unless they raise the bar again.

Allan

If it’s like here, you’ll still get a summons, but a phone call gets you off when you play the age card.

On 30/07/2021 at 21:03, sb photos said:

You can ask to be excused at 75, but why would you? It's a civic duty. You'd want to face a jury of your peers yourself, surely?

I was summoned two weeks after I stopped working at that particular court as a tape logger. The first time I was called I had to stand up and tell the judge that I knew Crown counsel by name. The next case was before the judge I'd sat with for 5 years. You couldn't make it up.

• Like 1

I went into Boots this morning and asked for an antibiotic ointment, something I have been able to buy anywhere else in the world that I've been. I believe that's 67 countries.  I was told I would have to get it from (the perception) a doctor. What? This is a common home remedy for cuts! A perfect reason NOT to bother anyone at the NHS. I can't give myself basic first aid? This is nuts! 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I went into Boots this morning and asked for an antibiotic ointment, something I have been able to buy anywhere else in the world that I've been. I believe that's 67 countries.  I was told I would have to get it from (the perception) a doctor. What? This is a common home remedy for cuts! A perfect reason NOT to bother anyone at the NHS. I can't give myself basic first aid? This is nuts! 

Hi Ed, try Savlon Antiseptic Cream which you can get from any chemists.

Nigel

• Love 1

Unless a cut has gone septic (become infected) you would not normally use an antibiotic cream. Aa Nigel says, what you need for first aid is an antiseptic to prevent it becoming infected. if it was a very deep cut where you need stitches (sutures), then maybe you would use an antibiotic as a precaution but that would be administered by a medical professional. 

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, MDM said:

Unless a cut has gone septic (become infected) you would not normally use an antibiotic cream. Aa Nigel says, what you need for first aid is an antiseptic to prevent it becoming infected. if it was a very deep cut where you need stitches (sutures), then maybe you would use an antibiotic as a precaution but that would be administered by a medical professional. 

Stitches? Hah use a (former) Kodak product in stead: Super Glue!

(Just cut my finger, but by far not bad enough for glue or stitches 😂)

wim

I specifically asked for Neosporin, Cecile. And then I asked for whatever they had. I got no suggestions and no one mentioned Savlon Antiseptic Cream. Instead, in the middle of a pandemic, I'm supposed to go to my NHS clinic. What total nonsense! Like going to a triage centre with a razor grass cut in the Vietnam War.

And when I looked on the NHS app, I found that they have me down for just one covid jab when in fact I've had two.  

49 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I specifically asked for Neosporin, Cecile. And then I asked for whatever they had. I got no suggestions and no one mentioned Savlon Antiseptic Cream. Instead, in the middle of a pandemic, I'm supposed to go to my NHS clinic. What total nonsense! Like going to a triage centre with a razor grass cut in the Vietnam War.

And when I looked on the NHS app, I found that they have me down for just one covid jab when in fact I've had two.  

One option would be to go for a third jab and then app would be happy.  

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

Something like Neosporin isn’t available in the UK without a prescription?

We don't dish out antibiotics like sweets! That's how you get antibiotic resistance.

It's quite a specific request so a pharmacist probably wouldn't suggest just an antiseptic such as germolene or Savlon, which is probably what Ed needs for first aid..

Of course if he does get a prescription he won't have to pay.

Edited by spacecadet

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

There are dangers from taking or applying antibiotics when there is no infection. If there is an infection it would be normal to make an appointment with your doctor. As far as I understand in the UK antibiotics require a prescription. We always keep a tube of Savlon, that does not contain antibiotics, in the house that is suitable for minor cuts or abrasions and should be available from from most chemists and pharmacies.

From the web based American Family Physician - The use of topical antibiotics on clean surgical wounds has not been shown to reduce the rate of infection compared to the use of non-antibiotic ointment or no ointment. Topical antibiotics can aggravate open wounds, hindering the normal wound-healing process. When topical antibiotics are used in this setting, there is a significant risk of developing contact dermatitis, a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore, or inflamed after direct contact with a substance, along with the potential for developing antibiotic resistance. Only wounds that show symptoms of infection should receive appropriate antibiotic treatment.

I got the Savlon yesterday. Pills or shots of antibiotics do of course need a perception in The States and in all EU countries as they do in the UK. Mine is not a sucking chest wound so I decided to use first aid. "Only wounds that show symptoms of infection should receive appropriate antibiotic treatment," is the suggestion I was following. 

Something else: I checked the NHS app this morning and they have updated my med records to show that I've had both covid jabs. I downloaded the travel pass successfully. I have no trips on the horizon right now but I can go Blue if I want to. 

It's grey and overcast and spitting rain — is there anything the NHS can do about that? 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I got the Savlon yesterday. Pills or shots of antibiotics do of course need a perception in The States and in all EU countries as they do in the UK. Mine is not a sucking chest wound so I decided to use first aid. "Only wounds that show symptoms of infection should receive appropriate antibiotic treatment," is the suggestion I was following. 

Something else: I checked the NHS app this morning and they have updated my med records to show that I've had both covid jabs. I downloaded the travel pass successfully. I have no trips on the horizon right now but I can go Blue if I want to. 

It's grey and overcast and spitting rain — is there anything the NHS can do about that? 

"Only wounds that show symptoms of infection should receive appropriate antibiotic treatment," is the suggestion I was following.”-Edo

So happy to have my neosporin tube tucked into a drawer. I doubt very much I’ll get resistance from using it once every few years when something looks infected. It works. Causes no adverse skin reaction. Yippee. If it were bad, I doubt the FDA would have approved it for general use. 
One thing I’ve learned in this life is that if Joe says it’s wrong, that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. It’s just his belief it’s wrong, when Jack may believe it’s right and that doesn’t mean it’s right. Joe & Jack can usually come up with some cases that prove his point.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2021 at 17:32, spacecadet said:

We don't dish out antibiotics like sweets! That's how you get antibiotic resistance.

It's quite a specific request so a pharmacist probably wouldn't suggest just an antiseptic such as germolene or Savlon, which is probably what Ed needs for first aid..

Of course if he does get a prescription he won't have to pay.

Indeed.  If the bugs evolve to evade our antibiotics we will be in deep trouble.

A few winters ago, pre covid,  I had a cold that just wouldn't go away. The message was, as I understood it,  don't trouble the doctor with colds etc.  Eventually I went to see a doctor and was criticised for not coming earlier - you can't win !   He prescribed antibiotics which did the trick, better within a week. 

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed.  If the bugs evolve to evade our antibiotics we will be in deep trouble.

A few winters ago, pre covid,  I had a cold that just wouldn't go away. The message was, as I understood it,  don't trouble the doctor with colds etc.  Eventually I went to see a doctor and was criticised for not coming earlier - you can't win !   He prescribed antibiotics which did the trick, better within a week. 

Possibly your cold turned into a sinus infection. (Or chest) They can get nasty. My colds go to my chest, then an infection sets in. I seldom get a free standing cold that simply runs its course and goes away without causing trouble. 

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

Possibly your cold turned into a sinus infection. (Or chest) They can get nasty. My colds go to my chest, then an infection sets in. I seldom get a free standing cold that simply runs its course and goes away without causing trouble. 

Weirdly, as I signed in to the forum, your post just appeared Betty. I'm not superstitious nor religious, but I do get a buzz when coincidences occur. Last week I was working on a crossword while listening to a concert on the radio. I had just solved an anagram for the word contralto and was typing in the solution, when the announcer on the radio said that very word. Strange, or what?

Getting back to the cold thing, a friend had a lasting cold which had developed into pneumonia, again saved by the antibiotics. 

This brings me to recall a recent series of programmes on the BBC which explored developments that had increased the lifespan of humans. One of them focused on penicillin. Discovered by Fleming, who gets all of the credit, but  his contribution was only  to write a paper on his findings, he never developed the drug. Apparently that task was undertaken by a group of Oxford university scientists some 10 years later, during WW2. Strapped for cash, they were only able to manufacture tiny quantities of the antibiotic. The decision was taken to give their findings to the USA government, when a factory was set up in Brooklyn to manufacture it in quantity. Thus allied troops had access to penicillin in the latter stages of the war.

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic