Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

"Oxford university scientists . . . Strapped for cash, they were only able to manufacture tiny quantities of the antibiotic. The decision was taken to give their findings to the USA government, when a factory was set up in Brooklyn to manufacture it in quantity. Thus allied troops had access to penicillin in the latter stages of the war."

Yes, in my old hood we were also the early developers of American pizza, Woody Allan, Jackie Robinson, and PM Churchill's mama.

PS: I forgot Murder Incorporated.

Edited by Ed Rooney

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Weirdly, as I signed in to the forum, your post just appeared Betty. I'm not superstitious nor religious, but I do get a buzz when coincidences occur. Last week I was working on a crossword while listening to a concert on the radio. I had just solved an anagram for the word contralto and was typing in the solution, when the announcer on the radio said that very word. Strange, or what?

Getting back to the cold thing, a friend had a lasting cold which had developed into pneumonia, again saved by the antibiotics. 

This brings me to recall a recent series of programmes on the BBC which explored developments that had increased the lifespan of humans. One of them focused on penicillin. Discovered by Fleming, who gets all of the credit, but  his contribution was only  to write a paper on his findings, he never developed the drug. Apparently that task was undertaken by a group of Oxford university scientists some 10 years later, during WW2. Strapped for cash, they were only able to manufacture tiny quantities of the antibiotic. The decision was taken to give their findings to the USA government, when a factory was set up in Brooklyn to manufacture it in quantity. Thus allied troops had access to penicillin in the latter stages of the war.

I would have died without it. My first pneumonia was at 18 months. 3 more since. I know what you mean about the coincidences. Like when I look at my phone thinking to call someone, or even have the phone in my hand, and that person calls me. I’m familiar with that buzz, lol.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I would have died without it. My first pneumonia was at 18 months. 3 more since. I know what you mean about the coincidences. Like when I look at my phone thinking to call someone, or even have the phone in my hand, and that person calls me. I’m familiar with that buzz, lol.

Happens to me too. I often have my phone in my hand thinking I am going to call someone and that someone has their phone in their hand thinking they are going to call me.

That is all we do, think we are going to call each other, no connection made.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

8 hours ago, Colblimp said:

An Irish national paper commissioned me to photograph a funeral of a bus crash victim, which is happening today.  Ugggggh

It's a living, but an actual commission from a proper newspaper with folding money.........more power to you..........I'll have what you're having!;)

• Like 1

I was just using the Google image search to see if a recently zoomed image came up. It did, along with another 6 of mine, complete with Alamy Stock Image, image reference and Alamy watermarking. There were also images from other agencies. This was at https://westminsterdogcity.blogspot.com/1983/02/westminster-bridge-road-closure.html.

Copywrite abuse was so rampant I suspect its not viable to take it any further. The site's copywrite statement sounds like weasel words considering the level of abuse.

Hey ho, I never found a legitimate use of my zoomed image.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's a living, but an actual commission from a proper newspaper with folding money.........more power to you..........I'll have what you're having!;)

I get commissions regularly from numerous Irish papers.  Here's the result of today's efforts: Funeral  more funeral

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sb photos said:

https://westminsterdogcity.blogspot.com/1983/02/westminster-bridge-road-closure.html.

Copywrite abuse was so rampant I suspect its not viable to take it any further. The site's copywrite statement sounds like weasel words considering the level of abuse.

It's gone now.

BTW there is scamware on that site so don't click the cookie consent.

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's gone now.

BTW there is scamware on that site so don't click the cookie consent.

You were right, nothing there now. I'm normally suspicious of websites that find exactly what you are searching for, more so when they are for something really obscure. I had my VPN on at the time and just now. I turned it off and got a few dodgy popups. Back on again and they didn't show. Ran Malwarebytes just to be sure, nothing found.

Just saw a horrible thing happen in the airport. I’d just landed, collected my bag, and was waiting not far from the bottom of a very long escalator. A poor young fellow was nearing the bottom, when a man at the top let loose of his rolling bag. The bag careened down the stairs and caught the first young fellow in the back of his calf. It hit him hard enough to knock him to his knees at the bottom of the escalator. He was in a lot of pain, and was certainly shocked. Hopefully he’ll be ok, but it took him awhile to realize what had happened. Fortunately, the person who let go of the suitcase stopped and was very apologetic and solicitous. 

This falls squarely in the Bad Things thread.  Last evening we have a narrow but long "train" of thunderstorms that just kept dumping a torrential amount of rain over my town.  My son, who is with me for a few weeks, said, "Dad, I think we better go check the basement".  I honestly didn't think it was going to be an issue but so wrong I was.  Water was coming through the basement door at an alarming rate.  We did as much as we could to but water has a will much stronger than ours.  I have my work cut out for me today...my son is 23 and has been very helpful.  Of course this is the week that my doctor said to take it easy....I'm trying.

18 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

This falls squarely in the Bad Things thread.  Last evening we have a narrow but long "train" of thunderstorms that just kept dumping a torrential amount of rain over my town.  My son, who is with me for a few weeks, said, "Dad, I think we better go check the basement".  I honestly didn't think it was going to be an issue but so wrong I was.  Water was coming through the basement door at an alarming rate.  We did as much as we could to but water has a will much stronger than ours.  I have my work cut out for me today...my son is 23 and has been very helpful.  Of course this is the week that my doctor said to take it easy....I'm trying.

Like he said...take it easy! 

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Trying to beat back water is a hopeless feeling! Do you have a walkout basement? Or one of the basements with an access door on the outside?  My basement has no doors, but there are two window wells with access to outside. With 24-30 inch brick walls on the exterior, the water would have to get deep all around the house to get in.

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Trying to beat back water is a hopeless feeling! Do you have a walkout basement? Or one of the basements with an access door on the outside?  My basement has no doors, but there are two window wells with access to outside. With 24-30 inch brick walls on the exterior, the water would have to get deep all around the house to get in.

There is an exterior stairway to the basement door to the outside.  It is a known problem that I inherited when I bought the house earlier this year.  May cost me a few thousand dollars to mitigate the problem so it can't happen again.  My backyard slopes up and the concrete walkway near the stairs almost funnels water to the staircase in heavy rain.  I need to get some consulting to see what can be done.  A contractor friend has laid out a number of options, including a sump pump, redoing the concrete walkway with a drain down the middle of it, as well as other ideas.  Just need to get it done now.

11 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

There is an exterior stairway to the basement door to the outside.  It is a known problem that I inherited when I bought the house earlier this year.  May cost me a few thousand dollars to mitigate the problem so it can't happen again.  My backyard slopes up and the concrete walkway near the stairs almost funnels water to the staircase in heavy rain.  I need to get some consulting to see what can be done.  A contractor friend has laid out a number of options, including a sump pump, redoing the concrete walkway with a drain down the middle of it, as well as other ideas.  Just need to get it done now.

Good luck, and so sorry. Of course this had to rear its ugly head when you became the owner. That @$%# Murphy does get around, doesn’t he?

• Love 1

I just got $1 nett for a sale

photo from a very unusual shot all the way from the Azores islands.....

$1 should pay for ice cream i had there 😞 

edited to say it was even zoomed twice to help build my excitement of the possible sale 🙂 

Edited by Ace

On 09/08/2021 at 16:09, wiskerke said:

The Olympics are over. So it's time for a new record.

22 cents. Gross.

worldwide in perpetuity

😡

wim

Ha!  I wouldn't mind a 22 cent sale just now, my current gross total is $69,999.78.....😎

Called my hairdresser today who has been cutting my hair for over 30 years (since back when I actually had hair). I mentioned that I have had both my COVID-19 vaccinations and inquired about her status. Talk about awkward. Turns out she's an adamant anti-vaxxer and won't even discuss the subject. Rational arguments and scientific facts just bounce off her like balls tossed against a brick wall. Very depressing, not to mention scary. Now I have to go out and look for a new barber. 👴

Edited by John Mitchell

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Called my hairdresser today who has been cutting my hair for over 30 years (since back when I actually had hair). I mentioned that I have had both my COVID-19 vaccinations and inquired about her status. Talk about awkward. Turns out she's an adamant anti-vaxxer and won't even discuss the subject. Rational arguments and scientific facts just bounce off her like balls tossed against a brick wall. Very depressing, not to mention scary. Now I have to go out and look for a new barber. 👴

Yes I was surprised to encounter an acquaintance, intelligent and normally rational, who wouldn't even discuss the subject of vaccination. I assume that she had decided against. This despite regular tragic stories of relatively young people being cut down by the virus.

Re hair, or lack of it, my Mrs enjoys cutting hair. I haven't visited a barber since meeting her more than 50 years ago. I was entrusted to trim her hair during lockdown, a nerve wracking procedure. Fortunately the hair dressers are now back in business, which is more than can be said for our dentist.

• Alamy locked this topic