Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

More garden woes :-

1) Two kale plants felled by what I presume to be cutworm, I  scratched around but couldn't find the blighters.  I've tried using collars in the past, but they didn't work.  I did read that a series of cocktail sticks around the stems prevent the worms curling themselves about the stem, but that sounds like a lot of trouble. Once upon a time you could buy evil chemicals to control cutworm, but, fortunately I guess, they are no longer available.

2) All of our allotment tomato plants have fallen victim to blight, even those in the greenhouse.  Binned the lot.  Not alone in this it appears to be across the site, with several gardens suffering.  Those in the greenhouse at home are currently OK, but the outdoor tumblers in hanging baskets starting to look sickly.

All is not lost however most other crops doing fine,  for the moment....

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

1) Two kale plants felled by what I presume to be cutworm, I  scratched around but couldn't find the blighters.  I've tried using collars in the past, but they didn't work.  I did read that a series of cocktail sticks around the stems prevent the worms curling themselves about the stem, but that sounds like a lot of trouble. Once upon a time you could buy evil chemicals to control cutworm, but, fortunately I guess, they are no longer available.

2) All of our allotment tomato plants have fallen victim to blight, even those in the greenhouse.  Binned the lot.  Not alone in this it appears to be across the site, with several gardens suffering.  Those in the greenhouse at home are currently OK, but the outdoor tumblers in hanging baskets starting to look sickly.

I remember my stepfather saying to put a large nail next to stems/stalks to prevent cutworms damage. I think that was when I planted corn in my small garden. I remember doing it. It would be fair to say that other sticks would be less expensive. He said nails, I used nails, lol. These were monster nails.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I remember my stepfather saying to put a large nail next to stems/stalks to prevent cutworms damage. I think that was when I planted corn in my small garden. I remember doing it. It would be fair to say that other sticks would be less expensive. He said nails, I used nails, lol. These were monster nails.

Good to know that this is a tried and trusted method thanks Betty. We're away for a few days, but I'll see what I can do when we get back. Not sure that I've ever bought a cocktail stick, but probably cheaper than nails !

Edit, just checked ASDA sell 300 cocktail sticks for 60 pence, not going to break the bank !

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Could this all be a variation of the covid bug?🙂

Allan

39 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Could this all be a variation of the covid bug?🙂

Allan

I think you are a little confused Allan. Covid (coronavirus) is that hilarious virus that is still causing many thousands of deaths a day worldwide and untold misery for millions of people directly and indirectly. It's the one that can have terrible long term effects (an illness that is now called Long Covid) resulting in extreme debilitating exhaustion, permanent lung problems, cognitive issues and a range of other severe symptoms which are preventing a return to normal pre-pandemic life for millions of people worldwide. A real laughing matter for sure.

Blight (Phytophthora infestans) is that hilarious fungus that kills plants of the potato family (so tomatoes as well). It has been known to indirectly kill a million or so people and cause incredible suffering due to preventable starvation of millions more in a well-known famine in the 1840s.

I am not sure which is the funniest myself. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MDM said:

I don't find Covid in the least bit funny for deeply personal reasons. 

Appologies if I have upset you Mick it was not what I intended. I do not make light of the covid bug and its affects on humans.

Mark hit the nail on the head and I think Bryan may have realised that.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

Appologies if I have upset you Mick it was not what I intended. I do not make light of the covid bug and its affects on humans.

Mark hit the nail on the head and I think Bryan may have realised that.

Allan

I didn't think it was intentional Allan and I know you were just joking although I fail to find it funny. I have absolutely debilitating long Covid as I have told you in person and it is anything but funny having to lie down for hours every day and that is only part of it. I won't begin to describe the rest. And then there are the 178 people who died from Covid in the last day in the UK. These were real people with real lives and real families. Covid is not f***ng funny in any form. This is not the first time you have made jokes that I have found totally lacking in taste (the UK border in Ireland, stupid Irish jokes). I know you don't mean to be offensive but perhaps you should consider what you are saying in the knowledge that I am going to read it here and I will react.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MDM said:

I don't find Covid in the least bit funny for deeply personal reasons. 

Maybe not, and we've been reminded of those reasons a few times, but I'm not sure you're entitled to expect no-one else to joke about it. You can always block Allan's posts and avoid the offence, or forgive the offence, which isn't intended- as they say, it's taken, not given.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Maybe not, and we've been reminded of those reasons a few times, but I'm not sure you're entitled to forbid anyone else from doing so. You can always block Allan's posts and avoid the offence, or forgive the offence, which isn't intended- as they say, it's taken, not given.

I’m not forbidding him or anyone else from posting what they want. I’m all for freedom of speech and it is fascinating to see the range of thought on here. It is a microcosm of the world we live in. However, I will express my opinion and feelings as well. I am not seeking sympathy from anyone in relation to long Covid. It has messed up my life - it is what it is but for me it is anything but funny. 

Edited by MDM

Mick, but do you have to react to people every time you feel a slight? Especially as you know your correspondent would never in a million years mean an intentional offence?

Mick please apply a filter and challenge when justified.

James

• Like 3

Results of my MRI bear out what I already knew. When one’s leg has numbness and cramps, it’s pretty obvious. My back pain is caused from pressure on a nerve root.
Next will be getting an appointment with my neurologist, who is booked up far ahead because of getting behind during the last Covid flare. That appt. could be several months from now.

13 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Mick, but do you have to react to people every time you feel a slight? Especially as you know your correspondent would never in a million years mean an intentional offence?

Mick please apply a filter and challenge when justified.

James

Thanks for the advice James.  The word slight is not really accurate though here in relation to Covid or generally in relation to me. Really I tend to rail against wider issues which may or may not affect me personally. Sometime my interjections are intended to be educational or enlightening, not necessarily driven by annoyance or anger. Justification is subjective as is the degree of perceived offensiveness, which is not in itself alleviated by innocence of motive, although intent should not be ignored, as here where no malice was intended. Knowledge of the full story is a prerequisite in passing accurate judgement.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MDM said:

I didn't think it was intentional Allan and I know you were just joking although I fail to find it funny. I have absolutely debilitating long Covid as I have told you in person and it is anything but funny having to lie down for hours every day and that is only part of it. I won't begin to describe the rest. And then there are the 178 people who died from Covid in the last day in the UK. These were real people with real lives and real families. Covid is not f***ng funny in any form. This is not the first time you have made jokes that I have found totally lacking in taste (the UK border in Ireland, stupid Irish jokes). I know you don't mean to be offensive but perhaps you should consider what you are saying in the knowledge that I am going to read it here and I will react.

Mick I fouled up one time mentioning the Irish border but I have NEVER made Irish jokes because I know you would read it and I know how sensitive you are. Also I would not wish to hurt the feelings of any Irish person.

Allan

Perhaps "Sensitive is the wrong word but I think you know what I mean.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Results of my MRI bear out what I already knew. When one’s leg has numbness and cramps, it’s pretty obvious. My back pain is caused from pressure on a nerve root.
Next will be getting an appointment with my neurologist, who is booked up far ahead because of getting behind during the last Covid flare. That appt. could be several months from now.

I can sympathise Betty. I too have a suspected neurological problem which affects my walking. Not a good situation given that I need to be out and about with camera in hand! Fortunately I don't have back pain but the biggest problem is that it affects my balance to some degree and walking for any length of time is very tiring. I've had six MRI scans from head to toe and all have returned normal results. The latest thinking is that there may be some nerve damage in my legs. So far, due to Covid, it has taken close to two years before finally getting a face to face consultation with a neurologist last month and I now await an appointment for nerve conductance testing. I hope it's not too long a wait, but here in the UK Covid has resulted in a massive backlog of NHS patients waiting for treatment and consultations. There are many with far more serious problems than mine who are facing lengthy waiting times.

Wishing you well and hope you get seen soon.

Edited by Dave Richards
corrected text.
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I can sympathise Betty. I too have a suspected neurological problem which affects my walking. Not a good situation given that I need to be out and about with camera in hand! Fortunately I don't have back pain but the biggest problem is that it affects my balance to some degree and walking for any length of time is very tiring. I've had six MRI scans from head to toe and all have returned normal results. The latest thinking is that there may be some nerve damage in my legs. So far, due to Covid, it has taken close to two years before finally getting a face to face consultation with a neurologist last month and I now await an appointment for nerve conductance testing. I hope it's not too long a wait, but here in the UK Covid has resulted in a massive backlog of NHS patients waiting for treatment and consultations. There are many with far more serious problems than mine who are facing lengthy waiting times.

Wishing you well and hope you get seen soon.

Thank you, Dave. My walking has been affected for quite some time also. The nerve compression most definitely affect my legs. My photography, which used to involve walking, is confined to where I can go by car with only short steps for viewpoint. I now have a handicapped placard for my car, since parking even a medium distance from a shop door is close to out of my reach. I’ll not know whether surgery will give me the result I desire, but it seems that’s my only option. I’ve been the physical therapy route with home exercise twice, the last time didn’t help but actually made it worse.

I’m sure, considering the average age here of the forum contributors, there are a lot of aches and pains, so my sympathy goes out to all.

• Love 2

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Mick I fouled up one time mentioning the Irish border but I have NEVER made Irish jokes because I know you would read it and I know how sensitive you are. Also I would not wish to hurt the feelings of any Irish person.

Allan

Perhaps "Sensitive is the wrong word but I think you know what I mean.

ITMA

Not just one time Allan. There was that Irish dry stone wall  "joke". You and others here might consider that as being over-sensitive but I consider so-called Irish jokes (i.e. jokes that depict the Irish people as stupid and ignorant) to be highly offensive, not just to myself (I have nothing to prove anyway in terms of intelligence) but to my fellow countrymen and women. That type of national stereotyping is often harmful in the same way that racial stereotypes are harmful - effectively discrimination. I know people whose lives were made very miserable by that type of stereotyping. It belongs in incinerator of time with the No Blacks, No Irish, No dogs signs of the 50s and 60s. 

As for yesterday, well I was having a very very bad day with my health due to Long Covid and I could not appreciate your sense of humour, moreover with the rapid increase in deaths due to the recent removal of pandemic restrictions. Those who were fortunate enough to avoid the disease until vaccinations arrived should count their blessings. 

Now just to be clear I know there is no malice intended in anything you say and it does not affect our friendship. But absence of malicious intent does not mean absence of perceived offence. 

Edited by MDM

5 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

R.I.P. Charlie Watts

Another one gone. I have been playing my Stones music very loudly for the past few weeks to drown out the sounds of the building work next door. What a drummer. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, MDM said:

Another one gone. I have been playing my Stones music very loudly for the past few weeks to drown out the sounds of the building work next door. What a drummer. 

Yes, it was sad news. Even rock legends are mortal (although Watts was also a jazz drummer).

18 hours ago, MDM said:

Not just one time Allan. There was that Irish dry stone wall  "joke". You and others here might consider that as being over-sensitive but I consider so-called Irish jokes (i.e. jokes that depict the Irish people as stupid and ignorant) to be highly offensive, not just to myself (I have nothing to prove anyway in terms of intelligence) but to my fellow countrymen and women. That type of national stereotyping is often harmful in the same way that racial stereotypes are harmful - effectively discrimination. I know people whose lives were made very miserable by that type of stereotyping. It belongs in incinerator of time with the No Blacks, No Irish, No dogs signs of the 50s and 60s. 

As for yesterday, well I was having a very very bad day with my health due to Long Covid and I could not appreciate your sense of humour, moreover with the rapid increase in deaths due to the recent removal of pandemic restrictions. Those who were fortunate enough to avoid the disease until vaccinations arrived should count their blessings. 

Now just to be clear I know there is no malice intended in anything you say and it does not affect our friendship. But absence of malicious intent does not mean absence of perceived offence. 

OK TWO FOULUPS.  Any more?

Allan

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic