Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

12 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Michael. I thought I had a cheat by putting the SD card in my D90 and got the images into a folder in View NX 2 but my Lightroom version 5 won't import the images.

I'll try a card reader as you suggest.

I hope you get it sorted soon Dave, I can imagine your frustration but MDM and Mark have both been fantastic in helping both Betty & myself which we have found ourselves struggling which in my case anyway has been a lot😄

Carol

2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Yes, get well soon Michael, I imagine your vaccines combined with some natural immunity from last year will stand you in good stead. I'm sure you were taking every precaution that you could at the wedding but I suspect that the double-vaccinated guests weren't quite so careful, especially after a few drinks. Hard to see how it won't spread from this, or the thousands of similar events around the country.

Thanks Harry. I think I most likely got it doing the bridal preparation pictures which is a standard part of wedding photography nowadays. I was in small, poorly-ventilated rooms with the bride and bridesmaids getting their hair and makeup done. It is actually one of the more creative and skilful parts of wedding photography as it can be dark and the lighting is usually difficult (mixed daylight, tungsten and fluorescent last week) but it can allow for artistic expression. After that I was well away from the other guests for the most part when indoors and a lot of the time was spent outdoors. 

Edited by MDM

58 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Mick I am late to this thread and see you have had such bad luck to be hit with covid again. I sincerely hope you can fight it off and continue to recover from the first dose.

Hope we can meet up again soon when you are feeling a lot better. Masks at two paces of course for both our benefits.

Allan

Thanks for the good wishes Allan. It is part bad luck but I did put myself in the situation out of necessity so can't complain. And yes a meet-up at some point would be good. Take care.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

My surgery texted me end of August telling me to book a flu jab with them through NHS ap.  I booked it for 11th September which then was the earliest date.  However, I then had a phone call telling me they were short on deliveries and so I had mine at the surgery last Saturday 18th September.  My O/H however, didn't receive a text though he received a letter a few days ago and his jab, also at the surgery is this coming Wednesday.  I thought it very strange as he is older than me and had his Covid jabs sometime before me.  I expect you have already tried Lloyds Pharmacies who I also believe are doing the flu jabs.  Hope you don't have much to wait anyway...

Carol

I will be both dropping into Sainsbury’s tonight and Lloyds tomorrow to check them out. Sainsbury’s web site had no appointment system. I’ve had a flu jab there before. Have had many flu jabs at Tesco’s as convenient but last time I checked only a few appointments 25 ml away. The limited dealing I have with my surgery usually show them up as chaotic and disorganised. They were only a little better before Covid.

Edited by sb photos

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thanks to more media scaremongering my local BP petrol station now has queues a mile long:angry:

Carol

Did you take pictures of the queue including BP signage? Wondering when there will be a run on loo rolls again. 

6 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I hope you get it sorted soon Dave, I can imagine your frustration but MDM and Mark have both been fantastic in helping both Betty & myself which we have found ourselves struggling which in my case anyway has been a lot😄

Carol

I agree and am indebted to Michael and the others who take the trouble to help out.

Edited by Dave Richards

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

Bryan, my surgery texted me 2 weeks back advising to book a flu jab through a pharmacy. I believe most surgeries are committed to the Covid booster program. In my area attempting to book a flu jab via the recommended NHS site is almost impossible. When I last checked there were only 2 free times 25 miles away. Also the NHS site for Flu jabs showed multiple pharmacies that didn’t even offer them. Not good.

Cheers Steve. I had to visit the surgery today for another purpose and was able to book flu jabs for my wife and myself. They aren't being done at the surgery, but at a public hall in a nearby town, so not as bad a problem as I had envisaged.

Edited by Bryan

7 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Carol

I am the Queen of struggles, Carol. I think you are smarter than I. But maybe….it’s because you pay such close attention to Michael’s & Mark’s solutions for me, then you use that knowledge. Smart is smart no matter the path. 😉

22 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Currently running OS X Version 10.9.5 (Mavericks I believe) so I guess that isn't the OS necessary to get the Nikon download

I fear that you're going to find that the latest Adobe DNG converter won't run on 10.9.5, needs 10.15 I think. You need the latest version for Z7II files. If so then look at Iridient nTransformer (n for Nikon), which I think won't have a problem with 10.9.5 and certainly works with Z7II files because I've tried it with the demo version.

https://www.iridientdigital.com/products/ntransformer.html

Think of it as an advanced customisable DNG converter, but not free, $39.99.

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I fear that you're going to find that the latest Adobe DNG converter won't run on 10.9.5, needs 10.15 I think. You need the latest version for Z7II files. If so then look at Iridient nTransformer (n for Nikon), which I think won't have a problem with 10.9.5 and certainly works with Z7II files because I've tried it with the demo version.

You are correct Harry. The latest version needs Mojave or later. My brain is not fully engaged at the moment. It might be worth Dave checking if he can install Mojave on his machine first though. He doesn't need to go to the Apple Store to do that. He can check the minimum specs for Mojave online

Here is a list of Macs that are compatible with Mojave

• MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013; Mid 2010 and Mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards)

Edited by MDM

Dave

You can always try the free darktable.

I don't use Nikon. Canon only, but being an avid user of darktable since giving up on Adobe totally, I seem to remember support being added for processing Z6II raw files. (At least a bug was raised and implemented and am pretty sure if it has reached the latest version 3.6)

I might be wrong but its worth a try as it is open source and free so costs nothing

Martin

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

1 hour ago, MDM said:

You are correct Harry. The latest version needs Mojave or later. My brain is not fully engaged at the moment. It might be worth Dave checking if he can install Mojave on his machine first though. He doesn't need to go to the Apple Store to do that. He can check the minimum specs for Mojave online

Here is a list of Macs that are compatible with Mojave

• MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013; Mid 2010 and Mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards)

Just found that the DNG won’t open so you guys are right on that.

I think my Mac may be OK to run Mojave so I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Maybe if that is successful and I can get the DNG converter I might also be able to get View NX-i and download images from the camera in the way I am used to doing it. Live in hope and if that doesn’t work I’ll tip the bloody Mac into the Thames and buy a new one with all the whistles and bells. Would then just need to persuade “she who must be obeyed” that it is the necessary course of action. Thanks to everyone, your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dave Richards

50 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Dave

You can always try the free darktable.

I don't use Nikon. Canon only, but being an avid user of darktable since giving up on Adobe totally, I seem to remember support being added for processing Z6II raw files. (At least a bug was raised and implemented and am pretty sure if it has reached the latest version 3.6)

I might be wrong but its worth a try as it is open source and free so costs nothing

Martin

Thanks Martin, that’s something I knew nothing about so I will take a look.

39 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Just found that the DNG won’t open so you guys are right on that.

I think my Mac may be OK to run Mojave so I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Maybe if that is successful and I can get the DNG converter I might also be able to get View NX-i and download images from the camera in the way I am used to doing it. Live in hope and if that doesn’t work I’ll tip the bloody Mac into the Thames and buy a new one with all the whistles and bells. Would then just need to persuade “she who must be obeyed” that it is the necessary course of action. Thanks to everyone, your help is greatly appreciated.

You might get something on a trade-in with Apple if you go the new route so don't throw it in the Thames. I got a decent trade-in on my last machine. However, you would  be making more trouble for yourself buying a new Mac as LR 5 will not install on the latest MacOSs (anything after Mojave) - same with Photoshop 6. The Adobe installers are 32-bit although the apps are 64-bit (required on post-Mojave systems). This means the subscription if you stick with Adobe - personally I think it is well worth the £10 a month or going a different direction. As I said above, the DxO software is excellent and is not on subscription. 

9 hours ago, MDM said:

You might get something on a trade-in with Apple if you go the new route so don't throw it in the Thames. I got a decent trade-in on my last machine. However, you would  be making more trouble for yourself buying a new Mac as LR 5 will not install on the latest MacOSs (anything after Mojave) - same with Photoshop 6. The Adobe installers are 32-bit although the apps are 64-bit (required on post-Mojave systems). This means the subscription if you stick with Adobe - personally I think it is well worth the £10 a month or going a different direction. As I said above, the DxO software is excellent and is not on subscription. 

Thanks Michael, food for thought. I guess at some stage I will have to consider a trade in to get a new machine, but maybe not just yet (I really wouldn’t throw the old one in a river!). Will check out Mohave today.

5 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Michael, food for thought. I guess at some stage I will have to consider a trade in to get a new machine, but maybe not just yet (I really wouldn’t throw the old one in a river!). Will check out Mohave today.

No I didn’t think you were serious but you could always use it as a ploy to demonstrate to the one who must be obeyed how frustrated you are. 😀

Yesterday I used the M25 and M1, on the sections I drove around 6pm traffic appeared lighter than usual for a Friday, then later on I found out why, cars were in huge queues at filling stations everywhere I passed. There were still big queues at filling stations that were 7p a litre more than the cheaper ones. The road into my home town was barely crawling due to roads clogged by queues to filling stations. I was short of fuel, so headed to a nearby village with a normally quiet filling station. It was manic, 2 very large queues and a clogged up roundabout, horns honking, drivers shouting. I was lucky to have filled up after queuing for a little over an hour. 2 pumps were out of fuel and coned off. When I drove away the queues were bigger still. Only took a few photos with the RX100 under the lit canopy, not an ideal camera for those conditions. This morning took a D750 and 24-70 with me shopping at Tesco's. No empty shelves as they had just been restocked. Shot the queue and people filling up. No pumps had all fuel options out, though many with just one. The queue went to the back of the car park and looped around. It also hindered shoppers leaving as they were caught up in the queue. That was at 7.30 this morning. Had breakfast, now out for another look, but on foot. Once panic buying starts it's near impossible to stop until the product runs out.

Edited by sb photos

44 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Yesterday I used the M25 and M1, on the sections I drove around 6pm traffic appeared lighter than usual for a Friday, then later on I found out why, cars were in huge queues at filling stations everywhere I passed. There were still big queues at filling stations that were 7p a litre more than the cheaper ones. The road into my home town was barely crawling due to roads clogged by queues to filling stations. I was short of fuel, so headed to a nearby village with a normally quiet filling station. It was manic, 2 very large queues and a clogged up roundabout, horns honking, drivers shouting. I was lucky to have filled up after queuing for a little over an hour. 2 pumps were out of fuel and coned off. When I drove away the queues were bigger still. Only took a few photos with the RX100 under the lit canopy, not an ideal camera for those conditions. This morning took a D750 and 24-70 with me shopping at Tesco's. No empty shelves as they had just been restocked. Shot the queue and people filling up. No pumps had all fuel options out, though many with just one. The queue went to the back of the car park and looped around. It also hindered shoppers leaving as they were caught up in the queue. That was at 7.30 this morning. Had breakfast, now out for another look, but on foot. Once panic buying starts it's near impossible to stop until the product runs out.

My local BP garage is now closed for fuel unsurprisingly but the M & S franchise within is open - grateful for small mercies😁 Apparently another fuel delivery is expected tomorrow.  My car was filled up at the beginning of the week before all this happened thankfully...

Carol

I bought the new iPad mini 6 today. It is up and running on most apps. (If they ask me for another password, I’ll burst into tears.)

I would like to know if any of you have had this experience with an Apple store.  On Friday I went into the Apple store in Liverpool One and tried to buy the iPhone 12 mimi. My iPhone 7 was misbehaving. They told me the only ones they had in stock was the most expensive 256 MB. I said no thanks and walked the few steps to John Lewis. They had the phone I wanted.

Today I went back to the Apple store and tried to buy the very new iPad mini 6. Again they told me they only had the high end high cost 256 MB version. Again I went to John Lewis and got what I wanted. 

I see only two possibilities here: 1. Apple is pulling a con job on customers or 2. They are inefficient in managing their ordering. Next door at John Lewis they are on the ball. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I bought the new iPad mini 6 today. It is up and running on most apps. (If they ask me for another password, I’ll burst into tears.)

I would like to know if any of you have had this experience with an Apple store.  On Friday I went into the Apple store in Liverpool One and tried to buy the iPhone 12 mimi. My iPhone 7 was misbehaving. They told me the only ones they had in stock was the most expensive 256 MB. I said no thanks and walked the few steps to John Lewis. They had the phone I wanted.

Today I went back to the Apple store and tried to buy the very new iPad mini 6. Again they told me they only had the high end high cost 256 MB version. Again I went to John Lewis and got what I wanted. 

I see only two possibilities here: 1. Apple is pulling a con job on customers or 2. They are inefficient in managing their ordering. Next door at John Lewis they are on the ball. 

What do you think?

You lucky devil having a John Lewis store close by. I used to get quite a bit of my stuff from JL in Cambridge when I lived there. Here in Lincoln I would have to travel to Nottingham to shop at one.😡

Regarding your question I think you are correct. Either could be right.

Allan

15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

What do you think?

Strange as they seem to have stock of the other ones if you go online at Apple, but no I don't think I've ever bought an Apple anything from an Apple store except maybe a case.  My iMac was John Lewis also, my phones previously Carphone Warehouse and my latest 12 from 02.  I got a much better deal on the 02 Chat than anything online or in their actual store.  In the 02 store, the reverse happened they only had the 64gb 12 and I wanted the 128gb.

Enjoy your new iPad.......

Carol

• Alamy locked this topic