Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I heard on the news on TV that the covid infection rate is slowing down and even topping in some places. Can only be GOOD news.

Allan

Careful how you go Allan. There is no good news at the moment in relation to Covid in the UK. Read the actual numbers from authoritative sources. There were over 40,000 new cases reported today In the UK and 263 deaths from Covid. The case rates in north Lincolnshire are generally over 400 per 100,000. These are not trivial numbers. In fact the national  case rates remain as some of the highest in the world. And the NHS hospital system is on the verge of being overwhelmed between Covid and everything else. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MDM said:

Careful how you go Allan. There is no good news at the moment in relation to Covid in the UK. ......... There were over 40,000 new cases reported today In the UK and 263 deaths from Covid. The case rates in north Lincolnshire are generally over 400 per 100,000. These are not trivial numbers. In fact the national  case rates remain as some of the highest in the world. And the NHS hospital system is on the verge of being overwhelmed between Covid and everything else. 

The case rates, yes, but have you looked at the test positivity rates lately? Ours is in the middle of the range for Western Europe, Germany has the highest, and the range is much smaller than that of the case rates. We are doing ten times as much testing as some of the countries with which comparisons are being made

This side of the equation hasn't had a lot of attention.

Read the actual numbers from authoritative sources. 

Director of the Oxford Vaccines group

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/oct/26/coronavirus-news-live-african-union-to-buy-110m-moderna-vaccines-nz-to-set-vaccine-mandates-for-40-of-workforce?page=with:block-6177ea5f8f0825ebbe9dd895#block-6177ea5f8f0825ebbe9dd895

Edited by spacecadet

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The case rates, yes, but have you looked at the test positivity rates lately? Ours is in the middle of the range for Western Europe, Germany has the highest, and the range is much smaller than that of the case rates. We are doing ten times as much testing as some of the countries with which comparisons are being made

This side of the equation hasn't had a lot of attention.

Read the actual numbers from authoritative sources. 

Director of the Oxford Vaccines group, perhaps?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/oct/26/coronavirus-news-live-african-union-to-buy-110m-moderna-vaccines-nz-to-set-vaccine-mandates-for-40-of-workforce?page=with:block-6177ea5f8f0825ebbe9dd895#block-6177ea5f8f0825ebbe9dd895

True no doubt but it does not take anything away from the fact that there are sky high case rates in many parts of the UK. I was simply advocating continued caution.  I am hoping to not have to worry too much about Covid for another while myself. It is flu and other respiratory diseases that concern me more right now. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

There is still a mystery around Covid where oxygen levels can drop very significantly without the sufferer realising what is happening.  This is called silent hypoxia and can result in death or very severe problems  - here is a link to a BBC article on it.

I just thought I would post this as a lot of people are probably not aware of how easy it is to measure oxygen saturations levels in the blood using a pulse oximeter. This particular little device from a medical supplies company called MediSupplies possibly saved my life, as the consistently low readings I was getting resulted in me calling 999. This one cost £26 but there are cheaper ones on Amazon. I had a different one before getting this one but it was giving inconsistent readings so I got this one a couple of days before I was admitted to hospital. I had it with me in hospital and calibrated against the devices they were using there so I can say it is both very accurate and very precise. Anyone with pre-existing lung problems would be wise in my opinion to have one of these around in the event of developing Covid. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

The positivity rate is around the 5% mark in my town, now. It has gone down from a high of 13% over a few weeks. People were very good about wearing masks for the most part, including myself, and I still am. Although I’m not getting out much anyway.

12 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I heard on the news on TV that the covid infection rate is slowing down and even topping in some places. Can only be GOOD news.

Allan

Hopefully news reports will be correct, but remember winter is only just beginning, ups and downs can happen and schools are currently off on half term and we haven't yet experienced the 100,000 a day infections the government said was possible. We need to be vigilant, only time will tell.

8 hours ago, MDM said:

There is still a mystery around Covid where oxygen levels can drop very significantly without the sufferer realising what is happening.  This is called silent hypoxia and can result in death or very severe problems  - here is a link to a BBC article on it.

I just thought I would post this as a lot of people are probably not aware of how easy it is to measure oxygen saturations levels in the blood using a pulse oximeter. This particular little device from a medical supplies company called MediSupplies possibly saved my life, as the consistently low readings I was getting resulted in me calling 999. This one cost £26 but there are cheaper ones on Amazon. I had a different one before getting this one but it was giving inconsistent readings so I got this one a couple of days before I was admitted to hospital. I had it with me in hospital and calibrated against the devices they were using there so I can say it is both very accurate and very precise. Anyone with pre-existing lung problems would be wise in my opinion to have one of these around in the event of developing Covid. 

I've used your pulse oximeter supplier before for boxes of 50 masks, although my oximeter came from a chemist chain some time back, bought 'just in case'. Although Covid clear, after purchase I checked mine daily for a week for consistency of readings.

Edited by sb photos

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Hopefully news reports will be correct, but remember winter is only just beginning, ups and downs can happen and schools are currently off on half term and we haven't yet experienced the 100,000 a day infections the government said was possible. We need to be vigilant, only time will tell.

Yes... hoping for the best... while preparing for the worst...

• Like 1

Thank you, Michael, for that important information.

I have a flu and Covid jab scheduled for this coming Saturday. In the BBC article it says the NHS give these gizmos to seniors. I will ask about that. I certainly don't mind paying for one. I'll ask at Boots. I've had cough-variant asthma and hay fever for about 40 years. I can't order things to be delivered at my building. 

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thank you, Michael, for that important information.

I have a flu and Covid jab scheduled for this coming Saturday. In the BBC article it says the NHS give these gizmos to seniors. I will ask about that. I certainly don't mind paying for one. I'll ask at Boots. I've had cough-variant asthma and hay fever for about 40 years. I can't order things to be delivered at my building. 

No problem Edo. There is something about the NHS giving them away in that article as well but they are not expensive. Boots have them for £20 - I just checked. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I can't order things to be delivered at my building. 

Edo Amazon have them at £5.99 and you can now get things delivered to a locker. There seem to be a fair few in Liverpool. It worked for me- only at the end of the road but I got free postage.

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

There's an Amazon locker next door to me in the train station. I've tried that one and two others. Amazon has not delivered to any. Getting into my lobby is very iffy.

Lots of shops have an arrangement with Amazon, re collecting packages. Check here to find a shop near you...

Hello everyone and many thanks for all the replies.  I was just pointing to a national news item I heard on TV.

I was not advocating that we relax out own precautions and I still use a mask when necessary (in shops, on public transport, even outside when it becomes crowded, etc), sanitise when ever entering and leaving shops etc and trying to keep my distance. Even though I have had my two jabs plus booster at my age I cannot be too careful and hope others including everyone on the forums are doing the same.

Yes I have seen more and more people about without masks when it is advisable to wear them and fail to understand what they are thinking.

There is a case on TV locally of a care worker who is objecting to having the covid vaccine even though it is now mandatory for care workers and she is to lose her job which she loves doing. She seems to think that the covid vaccine is still in it's trial stages. The presenter asked the public to write in with their thoughts and all the replies were virtually saying that she should accept the vaccine and get on with her job (which she loves doing) and her life.

Allan

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

I've used your pulse oximeter supplier before for boxes of 50 masks, although my oximeter came from a chemist chain some time back, bought 'just in case'. Although Covid clear, after purchase I checked mine daily for a week for consistency of readings.

I also have the oxi/heartratemeter along with a body temperature gauge and, because I have an elevated blood pressure, an upper arm blood pressure meter.

As an aside I have been taking a low dose of BP treatment for a number of years now since it was advised by doctors at Cambridge University Hospital after taking part in a national BP trial. Before I left the trial I was informed that the medication I was advised to take would also help to prevent Dementia in my later years.

Allan

Sorry another aside. I have just signed up to another CUH for a screening trial for Atrial Fibrillation with ECG to reduce stroke. I am happy to help others even if it does not help me.

ITMA

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

There's an Amazon locker next door to me in the train station. I've tried that one and two others. Amazon has not delivered to any. Getting into my lobby is very iffy.

For what it's worth, my advice would be get one in Boots and not worry about the price compared to Amazon or elsewhere. Is your life worth a tenner or whatever the difference is? If you were to test positive you cannot go out so you would be really stuck. For people who have never had Covid it may seem somewhat remote but it happens and when it happens you get no warning - it is real and would be very daunting, especially on your own. Having a reliable pulse oximeter that is both accurate and precise could be the difference between life and death - that is not an exaggeration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

She seems to think that the covid vaccine is still in it's trial stages. 

I’ve seen the same ‘trial stages’ and ‘trial vaccine’ term widely used on anti vax stickers applied to vaccination centre and keep social distances signs with the intent to put people off vaccination.

56 minutes ago, MDM said:

For what it's worth, my advice would be get one in Boots and not worry about the price compared to Amazon or elsewhere. Is your life worth a tenner or whatever the difference is? If you were to test positive you cannot go out so you would be really stuck. For people who have never had Covid it may seem somewhat remote but it happens and when it happens you get no warning - it is real and would be very daunting, especially on your own. Having a reliable pulse oximeter that is both accurate and precise could be the difference between life and death - that is not an exaggeration.

I totally agree, Michael. Anyway, I'm not by nature a bargain hunter. Unfortuatley, I checked all three Boots in City Centre this morning and none had oximeters in stock. And no, I couldn't order one. I'll check at the 2 Superdrugs later.

And folks, I know how to surf the Net. What is found online is theory. The facts are too often different. I have Amazon Prime in the UK. It's not been helpful. 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I totally agree, Michael. Anyway, I'm not by nature a bargain hunter. Unfortuatley, I checked all three Boots in City Centre this morning and none had oximeters in stock. And no, I couldn't order one. I'll check at the 2 Superdrugs later.

And folks, I know how to surf the Net. What is found online is theory. The facts are too often different. I have Amazon Prime in the UK. It's not been helpful. 

I've just checked on Boots online and they say they are in stock in central Liverpool at Boots, Liverpool London Road, 68-70 London Rd, Liverpool, L3 5NF, Store contact number: 01517095271. 

You can buy this online and arrange to collect it in store,

This is the one I am talking about and is £20.

3 hours ago, MDM said:

I know you're keen on Rolls-Royces but some of us can only afford 20-year-old Renaults and they get you there. There is one on Amazon identical to the one on the NHS handout. All of those tested by "Which" at prices varying by a factor of 4  meet the accuracy standards.

I also note that the MHRA doesn't recommend home use of oximeters unless you've been advised to use one and been trained in their use. You didn't say that you had been.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

I’ve seen the same ‘trial stages’ and ‘trial vaccine’ term widely used on anti vax stickers applied to vaccination centre and keep social distances signs with the intent to put people off vaccination.

The interviewee also said that she had heard so many problems others had had with the vaccine and did not want to risk it yet.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic