Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

55 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I know you're keen on Rolls-Royces but some of us can only afford 20-year-old Renaults and they get you there. There is one on Amazon identical to the one on the NHS handout. All of those tested by "Which" at prices varying by a factor of 4  meet the accuracy standards.

I also note that the MHRA doesn't recommend home use of oximeters unless you've been advised to use one and been trained in their use. You didn't say that you had been.

That is ridiculous. You know me not at all. The closest I have ever come to a Rolls Royce is photographing one or two at weddings. If I had the money to buy a Rolls Royce it would be close to the last thing I would buy in any case. I have a Ford Focus which meets my very humble motoring needs. I live in a very humble house. I buy professional quality camera and computer equipment  that is fit for the purpose of what I do, similar to what a lot of others here use. I believe it is vital to have highly reliable, quality equipment if taking paid work, especially weddings where there is no second chance if something goes wrong. I paid privately for lens replacement (cataract) surgery because it was either that or wait until I was almost blind on the NHS. I was at a point where I could not see my monitor properly. Anything else I need to justify? 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

Our Cat Bran, likely similar to other cats, sometimes goes off his regular food and only wants unobtanium. Additionally he has now taken to licking off the jelly and refusing what's left. If only you could buy tins of the jelly to mix in with his dinner remains in the hope he will eat it.

35 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It's RAINING!

Allan

And the wind is getting up too!

ITMA

Alan, same here in Buckinghamshire. To tell how hard it is raining I look at the garden birdbath. A few drops is no problem, but just now the water surface showed it was hammering down, and the wind was pretty wild. I put off one early morning trip out, hopefully it will clear up near the day end.

18 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

It's RAINING!

Allan

And the wind is getting up too!

ITMA

Couple of days ago, we had 2 1/2 inches of rain, followed by two days of wind which got up to 60mph. There were power outages and some trees fell. That’s life in the plains.

In the relatively dry east we've had no major flooding, but my allotment path is now under water - a tad inconvenient.  I've decided to lift one of the flags and dig a soak away. It's a cure that has worked elsewhere on the plot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Couple of days ago, we had 2 1/2 inches of rain, followed by two days of wind which got up to 60mph. There were power outages and some trees fell. That’s life in the plains   on the south coast of England

5 hours ago, Martin L said:

Couple of days ago, we had 2 1/2 inches of rain, followed by two days of wind which got up to 60mph. There were power outages and some trees fell. That’s life in the plains   on the south coast of England

😂

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

😂

Hey America you can keep your weather we don't want it in Blighty thank you.😃

Allan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

It never fails to amaze me how fast we can go from summer temps to winter. It’s like someone flips a switch. It’s cold this week. Might even get a few snow flurries. I don’t mind chilly weather, but I resent the shortened daylight.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It never fails to amaze me how fast we can go from summer temps to winter. It’s like someone flips a switch. It’s cold this week. Might even get a few snow flurries. I don’t mind chilly weather, but I resent the shortened daylight.

Yes, and we are getting closer to the shortest day, December 21st. This morning we had our first frost, but by the time I went out the rising  sun had melted it. Time to add more screen wash to the washer tank too. 

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Gee, I'm sorry I'm late in hearing that, Allan. I was able to buy a mixed-weather package — a Fresno, CA heat spell, a Boston snow storm, and a Florida hurricane. The price was too attractive to resist. I sent it to you at the Lincoln City post office. Tornadoes were extra.

Edited by Ed Rooney

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Consider yourself lucky. About the only time Canada gets mentioned on US newscasts is when we send down "cold Canadian air." In fact, on most American TV weather maps, the 49th parallel marks the edge of the known universe -- i.e. the "Great White North" isn't even visible. 🌎

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gee, I'm sorry I'm late in hearing that, Allan. I was able to buy a mixed-weather package — a Fresno, CA heat spell, a Boston snow storm, and a Florida hurricane. The price was to attractive to resist. I sent it to you at the Lincoln City post office. Tornadoes were extra.

Many thanks Edo. Will collect package tomorrow and open it VERY CAREFULLY.

Allan

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Consider yourself lucky. About the only time Canada gets mentioned on US newscasts is when we send down "cold Canadian air." In fact, on most American TV weather maps, the 49th parallel marks the edge of the known universe -- i.e. the "Great White North" isn't even visible. 🌎

Sadly, this is a pretty accurate statement.  Someone on Prince Edward Island once told me that Americans often come there, in the summer, with their winter parkas in hand, thinking that it’s going to be snowing or something.

28 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sadly, this is a pretty accurate statement.  Someone on Prince Edward Island once told me that Americans often come there, in the summer, with their winter parkas in hand, thinking that it’s going to be snowing or something.

During the summer, it often rains potatoes in PEI. 🥔🥔🥔

• Love 1

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to disabuse you, John. You are probably getting Washington state or California stations, and the best weather forecasts come from Oklahoma, with Norman, Oklahoma being one of the centers (if not the only one) of the National Weather Bureau.The weather people sometimes mention the dreaded polar air oozing down like molasses. Those are the ones that give us the most bitter temperatures.

Here in Wichita, the weather forecasts leave something to be desired, probably like what you see. I can get the Oklahoma television station I always watched on my iPad, and I watch it when things start popping.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sorry to disabuse you, John. You are probably getting Washington state or California stations, and the best weather forecasts come from Oklahoma, with Norman, Oklahoma being one of the centers (if not the only one) of the National Weather Bureau.The weather people sometimes mention the dreaded polar air oozing down like molasses. Those are the ones that give us the most bitter temperatures.

Here in Wichita, the weather forecasts leave something to be desired, probably like what you see. I can get the Oklahoma television station I always watched on my iPad, and I watch it when things start popping.

I am sure your local and national weather reports are great as they are here in DC, the stations are very competitive and pour tons of money into fancy technology, but when it comes to Canada it is only mentioned if super cold weather is coming from there or if they have an extreme "newsworthy" event.  Just watching the news now, the weather map just has the north borderlines drawn and noting else descriptive above that, other than an outline of the country itself.  I have traveled pretty extensively in Canada and I have had kids come up to me and test my knowledge of Canada (fortunately I did okay, thanks to my curiosity and love of geography), they wanted to know why they need to learn so much about the U.S. but yet Americans seem to know so little about Canada.  I didn't have a good answer for them.  At least we have pro sports teams in the same league (ice hockey, soccer, basketball and baseball) so that helps some with knowing Canadian cities.

48 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I am sure your local and national weather reports are great as they are here in DC, the stations are very competitive and pour tons of money into fancy technology, but when it comes to Canada it is only mentioned if super cold weather is coming from there or if they have an extreme "newsworthy" event.  Just watching the news now, the weather map just has the north borderlines drawn and noting else descriptive above that, other than an outline of the country itself.  I have traveled pretty extensively in Canada and I have had kids come up to me and test my knowledge of Canada (fortunately I did okay, thanks to my curiosity and love of geography), they wanted to know why they need to learn so much about the U.S. but yet Americans seem to know so little about Canada.  I didn't have a good answer for them.  At least we have pro sports teams in the same league (ice hockey, soccer, basketball and baseball) so that helps some with knowing Canadian cities.

No, I said they aren’t great in Wichita. I was shocked when I learned Wichita radar took 8 minutes to make a sweep. In Oklahoma, like DC, the stations are extremely competitive. Some stations own two radars so one is sweeping where the other isn’t at the moment. Of course, living in tornado alley and going through the F5 Moore tornado only made them double down harder.

Our home was only a couple of miles from the path of that deadly tornado. I had our parrots in their travel cages and stacked in a closet with many blankets covering them. Bob was at work. Then I sat watching TV as they told us “the tornado just crossed “this” intersection or “that”road.  Probably a dozen spotters were following it, plus a helicopter.  It was on a path to our house, then swerved and went south of us. I never had to take shelter because I knew where the funnel was in real time, always.

As Bob and I traveled around the U.S. on vacations lasting 2-3 weeks at a time, we saw many local weather programs. None measured up to what we were used to. I’m sure some are out there, though. We never were in the NYC or DC area, or the Deep South. The former two because of the traffic we wanted to avoid, and the south because it’s too hot for me at the times we preferred to travel. I did want to go there, but it would’ve need to be In the dead of winter! 
I have an idea the states that tend to get the most severe weather events are better equipped than some with weather coverage.

When we were in some of the northern states, like Wyoming and Montana, we did see some Canada weather covered in relation to how it was going to affect those northern states. But that’s been a decade or two ago.

In reality, why would the US cover Canada? Most local weather reports cover the state we live in, and maybe the abutting states in how it relates to our state. One has to go to the weather channel to see more National coverage, or get 10 seconds mentioned on National tv shows only if there’s a weather event.
They only allow a sliver of time for weather programs during the news slot, so they usually concentrate on their own viewing area, which causes one to have to dig deeper if one is heading out on a cross country trip.

John, does Canada cover US weather? I’m not talking floods, hurricanes and tornadoes, (that’s news) but ordinary weather?

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hopefully, the NWB is more trustworthy than Environment Canada. 😁

• Alamy locked this topic