Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Indeed. One of those strict British nannies we have only read about here in the US. I do admit that Mary Poppins was my very favorite when I was a child. I still think those books were beautifully written. I would not have cast Julie Andrews in the movie. Margaret Hamilton would have been my choice.. the hard exterior with a magical sweet center.

Paulette

• Like 1

I developed a bad cough last night so, in accordance with government guidance, booked us both for a Covid PCR test this morning.  We do have some lateral flow test kits in the house and that came out as clear, so, hopefully, I don't have the lurgy. Prove of the pudding will be the outcome of the PCR test. I suspect that I just have a bad cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I developed a bad cough last night so, in accordance with government guidance, booked us both for a Covid PCR test this morning.  We do have some lateral flow test kits in the house and that came out as clear, so, hopefully, I don't have the lurgy. Prove of the pudding will be the outcome of the PCR test. I suspect that I just have a bad cold.

There are some very bad colds around that, according to one health website, can be confused with the dominant covid strain when  double vaccinated. Mine started with a sore throat, an awful runny nose, then a cough. The cough wasn't continuous. My wife and myself are both just getting over it. 3 lateral flow tests were negative, then we both had PCR tests that were negative. Taste and smell weren't affected. The worst cold I've had for a long time.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sb photos said:

There are some very bad colds around that, according to one health website, can be confused with the dominant covid strain when  double vaccinated. Mine started with a sore throat, an awful runny nose, then a cough. The cough wasn't continuous. My wife and myself are both just getting over it. 3 lateral flow tests were negative, then we both had PCR tests that were negative. Taste and smell weren't affected. The worst cold I've had for a long time.

Thanks.  I'm not feeling great but not as bad as you describe. Sore throat, slight headache, cough etc. We visited our youngest grandchild at the weekend and he was under the weather, with sniffles and a rash, so possibly picked it up from him.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks.  I'm not feeling great but not as bad as you describe. Sore throat, slight headache, cough etc. We visited our youngest grandchild at the weekend and he was under the weather, with sniffles and a rash, so possibly picked it up from him.

I often call children “lovable little germ bags”.  My daughter just caught an intestinal bug from her 2 yr. old granddaughter.

22 hours ago, Bryan said:

Got the PCR result back in less than 24 hours, we're both in the clear, although suffering with colds.  Impressive performance by the NHS.

• Like 2

I had to use a tool to remove my hoses from the spigots just now. We’re expecting our first hard freeze tonight. Last year, we had it at the end of October.

I pulled up my 3 tomato plants yesterday, still loaded with green tomatoes. No, I don’t want to make fried green tomatoes. Although I’m tempted.

48 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had to use a tool to remove my hoses from the spigots just now. We’re expecting our first hard freeze tonight. Last year, we had it at the end of October.

I pulled up my 3 tomato plants yesterday, still loaded with green tomatoes. No, I don’t want to make fried green tomatoes. Although I’m tempted.

Chutney.  Not sure if you can access the BBC recipes? but there must be others.  

Our tomatoes came out a while ago but no frosts as yet.  I persuaded my wife to make tomato chutney, excellent with curries or cheese etc

On 10/11/2021 at 10:47, NYCat said:

I had a notification this morning about someone replying to a thread I started. This was the message...  Ouch... Hmmm...Thread is GONE. Seems to indicate that Alamy had something to do with the disappearance of a certain person. I guess this will be deleted too. Sigh.

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.

i actually find that recently they have been more active in deleting thread, not because of subject but because of some of the comments, and direction of the thread.  This is a wrong direction in my view as it leaves it up to speculation as to why it was removed, and not just the perceived violating guideline posts. but it is their forum, so. 

• Like 1

We'll I may not have Covid, but I've an unpleasant cold and can't get to sleep. There can be no better time to have a whinge about the lot of the part time amateur woodwind player. My dad played the clarinet, so I followed suit, and also had to learn to play the recorder at school. These instruments are foible ridden, designed to drive you mad.

First the recorder, I play 4 different instruments, the sopranino, the soprano (descant) the alto (treble) and the tenor. Looking at them they appear to have an identical layout of holes, so logically, you might expect that you would use the same pattern of finger positions to get the same notes, albeit at a different octave. No chance, covering all of the holes on a soprano or tenor, you play a C, while the same fingering on the sopranino or alto you hear an F. This means that you need to learn two sets of fingerings in order to play harmoniously with others. It strikes me that the human brain is is a miraculous organ, in that most, but not all of the time, you get it right without consciously thinking about it.

Moving on to the clarinet, once (and this is easier said than done) you learn to create the correct notes with the reed, it's a relatively easy instrument to play, as it's festooned with numerous keys that ease the playing of runs and tricky bits. The recorder relies on finger twisting complexity to achieve the same end. However there is a dark secret, when you play a C on that most popular of the instruments, the B flat clarinet, you are actually playing a B flat. This isn't a problem if you play in an orchestra as the person who arranged the music will have transposed the written notes for you. However if you want to accompany your wife who is playing a Xmas carol or folk/pop melody on the piano, you have to transpose the music as you are reading it. So tunes in F have to be played one note higher and in the key of G. Struggling to see the score looking over her shoulder this is no easy matter, or rather it is no easy matter for me.

Now you can buy a clarinet pitched in C, but they are in the category of hens' teeth. No doubt somebody who knows what they are talking about will be able to explain why this is ?

Edited by Bryan

And another thread which may have been a bit critical of alamy has disappeared....

Why can't they allow discussion that is critical...What are they afraid of?

Surely it should be possible to discuss what we find good and/or bad about the site, and maybe they could see it as an opportunity to actually engage with us

and explain their side? But then I'm probably still asleep in a dreamworld!

Phil

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

And another thread which may have been a bit critical of alamy has disappeared....

Surely it should be possible to discuss what we find good and/or bad about the site, and maybe they could see it as an opportunity to actually engage with us

Phil

and  locked further discussion on one where information seems to have negatively materially changed

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Phil

Indeed. I have a very clear memory that Alamy just recently posted that there was no problem being evaluative/critical/discussing positives and negatives as long as it was done politely. I suppose that I should not be surprised at the current level of censorship but it does smack of insecurity. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Indeed. I have a very clear memory that Alamy just recently posted that there was no problem being evaluative/critical/discussing positives and negatives as long as it was done politely. I suppose that I should not be surprised at the current level of censorship but it does smack of insecurity. 

I also remember that post by alamy... 

Phil

They probably meant the optimistic criticism. Apparently they want more excitement that everything is going well. We should use more words like "it's great" and less depressing words like "declining profits" and "loss of confidence". Too bad they didn't tell us right away. I would ask those who have not yet understood to follow this. Now we all know that, so please follow it.
It's great to put it bluntly.

Hi all,

The thread in question has now been reinstated but it needs to remain balanced and fact based. Unlike other stock sites, we choose to keep the forum open as we see it as a valuble resource for our contributors. We remove a tiny percentage of posts on the forum and in this case, can admit we were a bit trigger happy. 

Thanks

Alamy 

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alamy said:

Hi all,

The thread in question has now been reinstated but it needs to remain balanced and fact based. Unlike other stock sites, we choose to keep the forum open as we see it as a valuble resource for our contributors. We remove a tiny percentage of posts on the forum and in this case, can admit we were a bit trigger happy. 

Thanks

Alamy 

So what you allow depends on how trigger-happy you are feeling - not exactly a great basis for a forum if you don't mind me saying. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, geogphotos said:

So what you allow depends on how trigger-happy you are feeling - not exactly a great basis for a forum if you don't mind me saying. 

Hi Ian - not really the case and not really the spirit of our post, I think you know that. We've held our hands up on this one and re-reviewed your deleted thread and decided to re-instate it - in my view I saw this as a good outcome - we admitted fault and corrected it - lets move on now shall we? 

We will continue to let as much free posting happen as possible but there will be times when comments or threads need to be removed for breaches of the rules. Any other business would be no different and as mentioned before, we choose to keep our forum open when our competitors don't so again, this is a positive. 

James A

Head of Content

• Like 2

Hi James,

All I would ask for is consistency in the interpretation of forum rules. It may sound paranoid but I feel that the Mods sometimes play the man and not the ball. Several of the warnings and brief bans that I have recived have seemed contrived and more about closing down debate. Just my opinion.

For example, you can mention competitors I cant even refer to their existence. ( The thread where I asked if since the commission change more forum members had looked at non-exclusivity)

Thanks for reinstating the thread. The thread is about opinions and perceptions so please be lenient over your requirement that it stays 'fact based'.  Thanks

Regards

Ian

Edited by geogphotos

• Alamy locked this topic