Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sorry to hear about your daughter's accident Betty, let's hope for a speedy recovery. 

 

Thinking positively, it could have been worse.  I worry whenever my wife takes a long drive, although she has never been involved in a serious accident.  She was once shunted by an uninsured drug addict who subsequently wound his car around a lamppost, but only minor, if expensive, damage to our car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Oh Betty, what next? Her pain must be terrible, poor girl. The issue of overcrowded, overworked hospitals is really bad news; even if we don't get the virus, we suffer from it. We have the same thing here with the NHS. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh my goodness, Betty, I am so sorry. This is may be off the point but pain medications cause constipation and it can be important to get ahead of it with fiber supplements and don't be afraid to take Senocot to help things along after a couple of days. I hope there are meds that are effective for her pain. I'm sure it helps to have you with her.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh my goodness, Betty, I am so sorry. This is may be off the point but pain medications cause constipation and it can be important to get ahead of it with fiber supplements and don't be afraid to take Senocot to help things along after a couple of days. I hope there are meds that are effective for her pain. I'm sure it helps to have you with her.

 

Paulette


As far as I am aware it’s only opiates that cause constipation. They also slow respiration. For the latter when I once had collapsed lungs I was given pethidine. I had no trouble with it. It used to be, and maybe still is, prescribed for pain relief in child birth. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I’ve spent most of the day with my daughter. She saw her family doctor this afternoon and he confirmed she has torn muscles around her left rib cage, besides a very sore neck. She cannot get up or down by herself…her husband has to lift her or ease her down and even that causes great pain.  He’s so good to her, he’s like a son to me. Every minor change of position makes her gasp and do puff breathing.

She is aware of constipation and has fiber pills and other things to take or do, and yes, it is a consideration because inactivity in and of itself can cause it.

The family friend who had the same surgery in Tennessee I’m getting told me the hospital/doctor allowed her to get in that condition, and said it caused her more pain when she came home than the surgery did. So it is not something to trifle with. In case anyone doesn’t know this…Magnesium supplements work well to right things. Depending, one can take 1 to 3 at a time. I take (3) 1200mg capsules at bedtime to ward off leg cramps and found the second benefit.

Our side of the family was supposed to have Christmas at Kim’s house this year. I told her today let’s not…she needs to heal without that hanging over her head. As it is, her missionary son and family are coming from Mexico to stay with her and Ray.  I can’t host it because of my own issues and no longer can do that tremendous amount of work it takes. I did it for many years but just can’t anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

My pre-Christmas troubles do not compare with what's going on with Betty and Kim and some others, but my stock efforts for December are now dead in the water.

 

I just got my second QC fail this week. This one I do not agree with at all. I've been going out at night to get some of the brightly-lite holiday activities. To try now to make things right will be meaningless as we move closer to 25 December. 

 

I'm reminded of this day in 1941, when Roosevelt, our then President, referred to "a date which will live in infamy" -- (FDR should have said 'that' not 'which' because the phrase was restrictive.) But I digress. I was not invited to Bojo's Christmas party this year (or last) so sticking a pin in my holiday photo balloon is not something I'm thankful for. 

 

I had hoped to expand my port to above 10K this year and then wind down. Now I don't know. 

 

Bah humbug!!!

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I’ve spent most of the day with my daughter. She saw her family doctor this afternoon and he confirmed she has torn muscles around her left rib cage, besides a very sore neck. She cannot get up or down by herself…her husband has to lift her or ease her down and even that causes great pain.  He’s so good to her, he’s like a son to me. Every minor change of position makes her gasp and do puff breathing.

She is aware of constipation and has fiber pills and other things to take or do, and yes, it is a consideration because inactivity in and of itself can cause it.

The family friend who had the same surgery in Tennessee I’m getting told me the hospital/doctor allowed her to get in that condition, and said it caused her more pain when she came home than the surgery did. So it is not something to trifle with. In case anyone doesn’t know this…Magnesium supplements work well to right things. Depending, one can take 1 to 3 at a time. I take (3) 1200mg capsules at bedtime to ward off leg cramps and found the second benefit.

Our side of the family was supposed to have Christmas at Kim’s house this year. I told her today let’s not…she needs to heal without that hanging over her head. As it is, her missionary son and family are coming from Mexico to stay with her and Ray.  I can’t host it because of my own issues and no longer can do that tremendous amount of work it takes. I did it for many years but just can’t anymore.

 

I wanted to be sure you were aware of the constipation issue because it can be very serious and people don't always realize that. I took a friend for her wrist surgery and as we waited she turned to me and said "I haven't pooped in three days". My heart sank but I kept my mouth shut until after the surgery because I didn't want to increase her anxiety. She had quite a hard time resolving the problem. My father used to say "Young people talk about sex, middle aged people talk about money, and old people talk about bowel movements". I guess I am officially old.

 

Paulette

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I’ve spent most of the day with my daughter. She saw her family doctor this afternoon and he confirmed she has torn muscles around her left rib cage, besides a very sore neck. She cannot get up or down by herself…her husband has to lift her or ease her down and even that causes great pain.  He’s so good to her, he’s like a son to me. Every minor change of position makes her gasp and do puff breathing.

She is aware of constipation and has fiber pills and other things to take or do, and yes, it is a consideration because inactivity in and of itself can cause it.

The family friend who had the same surgery in Tennessee I’m getting told me the hospital/doctor allowed her to get in that condition, and said it caused her more pain when she came home than the surgery did. So it is not something to trifle with. In case anyone doesn’t know this…Magnesium supplements work well to right things. Depending, one can take 1 to 3 at a time. I take (3) 1200mg capsules at bedtime to ward off leg cramps and found the second benefit.

Our side of the family was supposed to have Christmas at Kim’s house this year. I told her today let’s not…she needs to heal without that hanging over her head. As it is, her missionary son and family are coming from Mexico to stay with her and Ray.  I can’t host it because of my own issues and no longer can do that tremendous amount of work it takes. I did it for many years but just can’t anymore.

Betty, just an idea: when my mother was very ill and my family of six was visiting for Thanksgiving, we placed an order for food at the local grocery deli. The food wasn’t as fabulous as home cooked, but we had plenty to eat. Being together was the most important thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

I wanted to be sure you were aware of the constipation issue because it can be very serious and people don't always realize that. I took a friend for her wrist surgery and as we waited she turned to me and said "I haven't pooped in three days". My heart sank but I kept my mouth shut until after the surgery because I didn't want to increase her anxiety. She had quite a hard time resolving the problem. My father used to say "Young people talk about sex, middle aged people talk about money, and old people talk about bowel movements". I guess I am officially old.

 

Paulette

 

Paulette

You are so right, Paulette.  (Quote) Straining to have a bowel movement can result in a vasovagal attack from stimulation of the vagus nerve, which lowers the heart rate in some people.

 

It also can lead to an irregular heartbeat. I had a neighbor lady with COPD. She was hospitalized, and after a week or so while still in the hospital, she died because of constipation. Her body was already in a bad way while she struggled to breathe, and while straining at stool, the vasovagal attack pushed her heart over the edge and she died.

Her ultimate outcome wasn’t good because of the COPD, but she may have had some life left without being allowed to become so constipated.

This can be serious stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Heard the one about the constipated mathematician?

 

He worked it out with a pencil.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
In my bad mood today, instead of cooking a healthy lunch, I went out in the rain to 5 Guys and got a cheeseburger and salty fries. This large bistro was totally empty -- just me and one young Scouser girl who was cooking and doing everything else. Wow! Nobody wants to go out in this weather. (I have a burger about twice a month.) 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:
 
In my bad mood today, instead of cooking a healthy lunch, I went out in the rain to 5 Guys and got a cheeseburger and salty fries. This large bistro was totally empty -- just me and one young Scouser girl who was cooking and doing everything else. Wow! Nobody wants to go out in this weather. (I have a burger about twice a month.) 

 

 

 

They are good! I have a Five Guys just down the road from me and I get a burger once in a while from them.  Very filling, and it fills me with guilt! Love their fries too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we go again. The bushcamp we had booked for next week has been evacuated because of a raging out of control bushfire... The place has underground caves so heavy trucks cannot be brought in. The fire can only be fought from the air.

 

Meanwhile, 41C here in Perth yesterday. It's a little cooler today but only a little.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/12/2021 at 06:10, Ed Rooney said:

 

 

 

I just got my second QC fail this week. This one I do not agree with at all. I've been going out at night to get some of the brightly-lite holiday activities. To try now to make things right will be meaningless as we move closer to 25 December. 

 

 

Bah humbug!!!

 

 

this is worrisome, you would think the system would be able to adapt to these type of images. if only Alamy had an easy recognition way to allow tougher condition images....sigh! yes i am still mad at the whole Reportage application fiasco, but hey Now you could maybe apply, since i was literally told Failing QC a few times was a condition of acceptance.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to use this as a learning event,  jean-françois.

 

Allan suggested that I use the dehaze tool on those bright Christmas lights. Good advise, I think. 

 

We've been having a lot of rain here but nothing like your recent snow storm. Oh my.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Be glad you're not in Hawaii in December, where you would be trapped many times into hearing The 12 Days of Christmas with special Hawaiian lyrics.

 

my Tutu gave to me
1 Minah Bird in 1 Papaya Tree
Numba 2 day of Christmas
my Tutu gave to me
2 Coconuts
and 1 Minah Bird in 1 Papaya Tree

 

and on and on

 

The weather is nice though.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

 

We've been having a lot of rain here but nothing like your recent snow storm. Oh my.

 

 

This week has been an interesting introduction to the Halifax NS climate

 

 

Monday: Heavy Rain, with 50-60mm rain and howling wind overnight 

Thrursday: 25cm snow storm, 

Friday: -12C windchill

Tomorrow: up to 12, with 25mm of rain.....  it will be messy,

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm going to use this as a learning event,  jean-françois.

 

Allan suggested that I use the dehaze tool on those bright Christmas lights. Good advise, I think. 

 

We've been having a lot of rain here but nothing like your recent snow storm. Oh my.

 

Not sure if this is appropriate in your case but maybe use the reportage route for Xmas or foul weather reporting ? Images come with a health warning for prospective buyers so QC requirement not so stringent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bryan, I have often considered asking Alamy to let me submit Live News. They informed me that I was not eligible right before the pandemic hit. Imperfect timing. Without a car and a lot more effect, I don't think I shall. Poco a poco.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.