Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

On 11/12/2021 at 13:41, Bryan said:

Just been reading and watching video of the storm damage that has occurred in parts of  the USA.  We had record near 100 mph winds last week, but nothing to compare with what I've just seen., e.g. Amazon warehouse completely flattened etc.

I hope our USA dwelling folks here are all OK !

Yes, that damage was from tornados. Then we had the 100mph wind event Wednesday that flipped semis, (lorries), sparking power lines set off grass fires still being fought, downed trees and power poles. Numerous other damage. Television showed large trampolines being tossed over fences. I’m sure the neighbors loved that damage to their property.

I paid to have a snowball bush removed against my back cedar fence. Before I moved here, the previous owner had allowed some ugly fast-growing-like-a-weed volunteer tree grow up in the middle of it. I struggled to cut out out, then paint on stump killer, but it kept growing back.

Once I had it removed, I had a large bare spot. This past spring, I bought topsoil to fill in the depression, seeded and reseeded the area 3 times (fighting hungry birds) with fescue grass seed until I finally got a stand. I sprinkled straw on it, but that kept blowing away. The grass seed cost me triple this year to what I paid in the past. You’d think I was spreading gold dust.

Now that the spot is filled in and lovely, I saw two young men, subcontractors, marking off places with red spray paint and flags in front of my back fence today. I went out and asked what they were doing. Apparently, Evergy, our electric company, will be installing a fiber optic line in their right of way.
Oh, Joy. I’ve seen posts on the Nextdoor app about the mess they leave…also leaving gates open letting dogs escape. At least I don’t have dogs. Goodbye, grass. Hello mud and ruts. Just when I’ll be recovering in the spring and unable to do yard work. 😡

18 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I paid to have a snowball bush removed against my back cedar fence. Before I moved here, the previous owner had allowed some ugly fast-growing-like-a-weed volunteer tree grow up in the middle of it. I struggled to cut out out, then paint on stump killer, but it kept growing back.

Once I had it removed, I had a large bare spot. This past spring, I bought topsoil to fill in the depression, seeded and reseeded the area 3 times (fighting hungry birds) with fescue grass seed until I finally got a stand. I sprinkled straw on it, but that kept blowing away. The grass seed cost me triple this year to what I paid in the past. You’d think I was spreading gold dust.

Now that the spot is filled in and lovely, I saw two young men, subcontractors, marking off places with red spray paint and flags in front of my back fence today. I went out and asked what they were doing. Apparently, Evergy, our electric company, will be installing a fiber optic line in their right of way.
Oh, Joy. I’ve seen posts on the Nextdoor app about the mess they leave…also leaving gates open letting dogs escape. At least I don’t have dogs. Goodbye, grass. Hello mud and ruts. Just when I’ll be recovering in the spring and unable to do yard work. 😡

Surely they must have an obligation to make good after completing the work ?

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

Surely they must have an obligation to make good after completing the work ?

From what I’ve heard, they do a sloppy job repairing, and people have to complain to get it fixed. Even then, it’s hit or miss and takes forever to get anything done.

The gas company dug a deep hole in our yard in Oklahoma City, and did a great job filling and raking. They even set aside the grass clumps to put back.

I might be getting ahead of myself expecting the worst, but according to what others are saying, it has legs.

I visited my new local Sainsbury's supermarket earlier this evening for the second time. I'm now convinced other Sainsbury's stores around 20 miles from home are much  better. The Apsley store is better, and the bigger store on the Oxford ring road is better still, for the huge range it holds. Tonight at my local store  I unloaded my basket at the checkout, only to note the till operator had a mask on, but around his chin, and he was consistently coughing every 30 seconds. I was well back from him, so I grabbed my basket from the pile and packed my shopping into it and headed to the furthest checkout from him. If I was any closer I would have abandoned my shopping on the conveyor and left the store. I complained to a nearby supervisor, she couldn't care less. That store will never get my trade again.

Edited by sb photos

35 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I visited my new local Sainsbury's supermarket earlier this evening for the second time. I'm now convinced other Sainsbury's stores around 20 miles from home are much  better. The Apsley store is better, and the bigger store on the Oxford ring road is better still, for the huge range it holds. Tonight at my local store  I unloaded my basket at the checkout, only to note the till operator had a mask on, but around his chin, and he was consistently coughing every 30 seconds. I was well back from him, so I grabbed my basket from the pile and packed my shopping into it and headed to the furthest checkout from him. If I was any closer I would have abandoned my shopping on the conveyor and left the store. I complained to a nearby supervisor, she couldn't care less. That store will never get my trade again.

I've not noticed Sainsbury's staff without masks recently, but that's another good reason to use the hand held scanner and avoid the queues at the checkouts. I think that in some of their stores you have to use an app on your phone, I've not tried that.

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've not noticed Sainsbury's staff without masks recently, but that's another good reason to use the hand held scanner and avoid the queues at the checkouts. I think that in some of their stores you have to use an app on your phone, I've not tried that.

I shall look into using the hand scanner. I only use Sainsbury's for certain items I can't buy elsewhere, and while I'm there I'll buy other basics. Yesterday's trip was to restock with PG Tips Strong Tea. Aldi are very very weak with known brands, and Tesco here very rarely sell the PG Tips Strong Tea. I did try their own brand of strong tea, but it was a second best option. Distribution issues still causes major product range shortages at supermarkets as I suspect more Christmas related products are carried and less of other.

Edited by sb photos

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

PG Tips Strong Tea.

I assume you've tried Sainsbury's own Assam, in the red box. But we do drink our tea comparatively weak (2 cups to the bag) and often, so it may not meet your needs. Away from home we get tea you could stand a spoon up in.

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I assume you've tried Sainsbury's own Assam, in the red box. But we do drink our tea comparatively weak (2 cups to the bag) and often, so it may not meet your needs. Away from home we get tea you could stand a spoon up in.

I'm no connoisseur where it comes to tea, hot and wet will do, but we gave up on tea bags a few years ago and now only use leaf tea.   IKEA used to sell a stainless steel infuser for £1.  A teaspoon full of leaves will make two strong mugs of tea, indeed if you leave it too long in the brewing it becomes, in the words of herself, "builders tea".

We were drinking Yorkshire tea, but Sainsbury's own brand is OK by me.

Cups, what are they ?

Edited by Bryan

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The British have misunderstood Bing. He was dreaming of a White Christmas, not a wet Christmas. 🤨

Give it a few more years Edo. When the North Atlantic Circulation stops then we are very likely in for a mini Ice Age in western Europe with countries bordering on the ocean getting the biggest freeze. When that ends it's full stream ahead to sub-tropical Liverpool-Under-Sea. 

Edited by MDM

Just learned that our younger son and his partner have tested positive for Covid, so they won't be coming for Xmas. They're both fully vaccinated, so hopefully they will be OK. 

So we'll be home alone again this year, and a lot of turkey to shift. I don't particularly like turkey, probably better curried. I envisage a long walk on Xmas day, the current forecast looks Ok. 

So far our older son and our other grandchildren will still be coming on Boxing Day, but he's in London at present where the virus is rampant, so it's in the lap of the gods.

There are two of us, we'll be fine,  I feel sorry for folk living alone at this time of year.

After 2 years of a Covid free life, a French backpacker has finally brought Covid to Western Australia. Not that he did anything wrong, he didn't know he was positive. All the media emphasize he was French. And unvaccinated. I'd better keep my mouth shut with my French accent at the moment....

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

After 2 years of a Covid free life, a French backpacker has finally brought Covid to Western Australia. Not that he did anything wrong, he didn't know he was positive. All the media emphasize he was French. And unvaccinated. I'd better keep my mouth shut with my French accent at the moment....

Why do people love to dump on the French. They do it here too. Must be envy... all that fabulous food (the bread even) and beautiful language (and sexy accents).

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Why do people love to dump on the French. They do it here too. Must be envy... all that fabulous food (the bread even) and beautiful language (and sexy accents).

Paulette

I've tried for so many years to get rid of my accent, impossible... 

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just learned that our younger son and his partner have tested positive for Covid, so they won't be coming for Xmas. They're both fully vaccinated, so hopefully they will be OK. 

So we'll be home alone again this year, and a lot of turkey to shift. I don't particularly like turkey, probably better curried. I envisage a long walk on Xmas day, the current forecast looks Ok. 

So far our older son and our other grandchildren will still be coming on Boxing Day, but he's in London at present where the virus is rampant, so it's in the lap of the gods.

There are two of us, we'll be fine,  I feel sorry for folk living alone at this time of year.

Could be very dangerous Bryan having close contact with anyone who is not very likely to be Covid-free right now. You really don't want to get Covid. It is totally unpredictable and much more likely to be serious in older people.

I have insisted that my son (who is at uni in your part of the world) self-isolate for 7 days and does daily lateral flow tests before coming home. Even then there is a risk but that should be relatively minimal by now. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic