Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

Nice head shot. Caiman jacare. 

 

59 minutes ago, NYCat said:

 

Yep. The Pantanal.

 

Paulette

 

Are you two speaking in a foreign language?🤨

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

 

Are you two speaking in a foreign language?🤨

 

Allan

 

 

Yes. It is only spoken by those who have travelled the Transpantaneira.   

 

Paulette

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just driven back from spending a glorious week in a rural area along the Florida gulf coast, (but a description of the trip would go in the "good" thread). Unfortunately, the drive back from the islands, with over an hour through dense pine forest on a two lane road, was a bit harrowing with dense fog the whole way. If I’d realized the fog was so bad, I would have delayed my drive an hour or two. It was daylight and traffic wasn’t bad, but many of the cars I saw did not have their lights turned on, which boggled my mind. It certainly made it more difficult to see traffic coming my way. The speed limit is 60 MPH and we often see dead animals along the way. I avoid driving it in the dark because many deer come to feed along the right of way and I certainly don’t want to hit one. I did pass a dead deer on this morning’s drive, but also saw something I’d never seen before, a very large, very dead black bear. Quite sad. 

Edited by Cecile Marion
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’ve just driven back from spending a glorious week in a rural area along the Florida gulf coast, (but a description of the trip would go i the "good" thread). Unfortunately, the drive back from the islands, with over an hour through dense pine forest on a two lane road, was a bit harrowing with dense fog the whole way. If I’d realized the fog was so bad, I would have delayed my drive an hour or two. It was daylight and traffic wasn’t bad, but many of the cars I saw did not have their lights turned on, which boggled my mind. It certainly made it more difficult to see traffic coming my way. The speed limit is 60 MPH and we often see dead animals along the way. I avoid driving it in the dark because many deer come to feed along the right of way and I certainly don’t want to hit one. I did pass a dead deer on this morning’s drive, but also saw something I’d never seen before, a very large, very dead black bear. Quite sad. 

 

I know this may sound crazy but driving in fog or a snowstorm can be safer with headlights off.  Reason being that the light reflects off the snow or fog water droplets and it can be even more difficult to see (for the driver).  Of course it is easier to see the other car if their lights are on...so your are damned if you do and damned if you don't use regular headlights.   That is why cars with "fog lights", the lights are usually low to the ground so you don't have the light reflecting right back in your eyes.   I had them on my old Subaru and they worked great instead of headlights, on snowy or foggy days.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I understand, I used to have a car with fog lights, too, but it was daylight, so their lights wouldn’t make any difference as to what the drivers could see because their lights didn’t illuminate the road in front of their cars. It did, however, make a difference as to who could see them coming. It was almost like they were driving in the rain with no lights (using lights in the rain is a law here in Florida). I’m not referring to high beams, what we call "brights" here in the US. I mean that many of the drivers I passed this morning had on no lights at all. 

Edited by Cecile Marion
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Yes, I understand, I used to have a car with fog lights, too, but it was daylight, so their lights wouldn’t make any difference as to what the drivers could see because their lights didn’t illuminate the road in front of their cars. It did, however, make a difference as to who could see them coming. It was almost like they were driving in the rain with no lights (using lights in the rain is a law here in Florida).


Here in the UK you must have headlights on in the rain, snow, fog or whenever you can’t see more than 100M / 328 feet. Most drivers have their headlamps on dipped before it gets that bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too many eejits drive without lights when conditions demand it, our car switches them on whether you like it or not when the light is dim, but don't get me started on the driving habits of the British public. Suffice to say that I prefer to travel by train.

 

A bad thing that happened a few days ago can now be illustrated in full colour, a large section of the perimeter fence around our allotment site blew down during storm Arwen. While fences within the site are the responsibility of tenants, the perimeter is maintained by the council to whom we pay rent and they have been informed. I await developments with interest.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Too many eejits drive without lights when conditions demand it, our car switches them on whether you like it or not when the light is dim, but don't get me started on the driving habits of the British public. Suffice to say that I prefer to travel by train.

 

A bad thing that happened a few days ago can now be illustrated in full colour, a large section of the perimeter fence around our allotment site blew down during storm Arwen. While fences within the site are the responsibility of tenants, the perimeter is maintained by the council to whom we pay rent and they have been informed. I await developments with interest.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If the council are involved that will take at least 3 committee meetings, 3 site meetings, 2 Health and safety meetings and 1 annual budget meeting to establish the baseline for a report to be put before the next annual full council meeting. Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Too many eejits drive without lights when conditions demand it, our car switches them on whether you like it or not when the light is dim, but don't get me started on the driving habits of the British public. Suffice to say that I prefer to travel by train.

 

A bad thing that happened a few days ago can now be illustrated in full colour, a large section of the perimeter fence around our allotment site blew down during storm Arwen. While fences within the site are the responsibility of tenants, the perimeter is maintained by the council to whom we pay rent and they have been informed. I await developments with interest.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event  🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Too many eejits drive without lights when conditions demand it, our car switches them on whether you like it or not when the light is dim, but don't get me started on the driving habits of the British public. Suffice to say that I prefer to travel by train.

 

Earlier in the week while dark I followed a black car with no lights on between 2 junctions on the M25. I flashed the car and so did other drivers. The car in front of the idiot car put his emergency flashers on a few times. The lightless car driver was oblivious to all this, and additionally would change lanes at speed to unsuccessfully get ahead faster. And don't get me talking about car drivers that ignore emergency ambulances behind them with blue lights flashing and sirens screaming.

 

I prefer when viable to travel by car, keeping away from the covidiots on trains and buses. When recently on an Oxford park and ride bus I reopened a window someone had just shut, firmly pointing out the bus should be ventilated. He then left it alone. The idiot was wearing a FFP2 mask without shaping the metal nose clip, so it was perched half way down his nose with huge air gaps doing very little.

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure most people are doing their best and if that's not good enough for some then they can put up with it or make other arrangements. Ventilation on public transport is not mandatory, and last time I looked the law didn't require a face covering to be worn in a particular way.

I would not have put up with someone dictating my conduct in a public space. I do not believe that I know better.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aphperspective said:

If the council are involved that will take at least 3 committee meetings, 3 site meetings, 2 Health and safety meetings and 1 annual budget meeting to establish the baseline for a report to be put before the next annual full council meeting. Good luck.

 

Not holding my breath. 🙃

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have received news from the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage that "my" sweet elephant has died... https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgzGllMGjXBmxcqrdbjbrmkfXwZDv

I saw her there on my first trip to Africa when she was very, very young and I have been fostering her.  I have this image of her on Alamy.

 

D8B3G1.jpg

 

I will look for others and perhaps upload some. She was practically a newborn when she was rescued and has had trouble with her health all along. Everyone always called her "sweet Shukuru" and when National Geographic did an article she was featured. Michael "Nick"  Nichols had obviously fallen in love with her. https://michaelnicknichols.com/orphans-no-more/ That is Shukuru in the orange raincoat. His favorite image from the shoot was also of Shukuru.

 

Very sad news.

 

Paulette

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2021 at 14:01, NYCat said:

I have received news from the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage that "my" sweet elephant has died... https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgzGllMGjXBmxcqrdbjbrmkfXwZDv

I saw her there on my first trip to Africa when she was very, very young and I have been fostering her.  I have this image of her on Alamy.

 

D8B3G1.jpg

 

I will look for others and perhaps upload some. She was practically a newborn when she was rescued and has had trouble with her health all along. Everyone always called her "sweet Shukuru" and when National Geographic did an article she was featured. Michael "Nick"  Nichols had obviously fallen in love with her. https://michaelnicknichols.com/orphans-no-more/ That is Shukuru in the orange raincoat. His favorite image from the shoot was also of Shukuru.

 

Very sad news.

 

Paulette

Awww, sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure wether this should be in "good thing" or "bad thing" but just had an email from EDF to say that they have been appointed by OFGEM to take over my gas supply account as my original supplier has ceased trading. 😭

 

They say the switch will take a few weeks so more hassle I could do without. Then when the switch is complete I will be able (free) to look around for the cheapest supplier of gas.😩

 

Allan

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Not really sure wether this should be in "good thing" or "bad thing" but just had an email from EDF to say that they have been appointed by OFGEM to take over my gas supply account as my original supplier has ceased trading. 😭

 

They say the switch will take a few weeks so more hassle I could do without. Then when the switch is complete I will be able (free) to look around for the cheapest supplier of gas.😩

 

Allan

 

 

Clearly, Allan, owning a home has negative issues. I'm renting and that's not a walk in the park either. 

 

It is sad about your elephant's demise, Paulette. But no life is forever.

 

My own minor crisis today is I've had a QC fail. What really bothers me about these fails is . . . QC is always right. I just hope. I don't lose my 5 star rating.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Clearly, Allan, owning a home has negative issues. I'm renting and that's not a walk in the park either. 

 

It is sad about your elephant's demise, Paulette. But no life is forever.

 

My own minor crisis today is I've had a QC fail. What really bothers me about these fails is . . . QC is always right. I just hope. I don't lose my 5 star rating.  

You won’t. I had a fail a few months back and didn’t lose it. But it is a shock when one goes a long time without one. I agree, one slipped by me, QC was right. It was borderline, but I shouldn’t have uploaded it. There was some sharp areas, but not the area where it should have been.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You won’t. I had a fail a few months back and didn’t lose it. But it is a shock when one goes a long time without one. I agree, one slipped by me, QC was right. It was borderline, but I shouldn’t have uploaded it. There was some sharp areas, but not the area where it should have been.


Yep, same here.  Had a fail a few months ago and QC was right.  I still have my  ️ rating and I am more careful now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

Clearly, Allan, owning a home has negative issues. I'm renting and that's not a walk in the park either. 

 

It is sad about your elephant's demise, Paulette. But no life is forever.

 

My own minor crisis today is I've had a QC fail. What really bothers me about these fails is . . . QC is always right. I just hope. I don't lose my 5 star rating.  

 

You are right Edo owning your own home has negative issues but the positives far outweigh the negs.

 

Sorry to hear about your QC fail. Not what I would have expected of you Edo. Now if it was me that failed QC I could understand it.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2021 at 20:01, NYCat said:

I have received news from the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage that "my" sweet elephant has died... https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgzGllMGjXBmxcqrdbjbrmkfXwZDv

I saw her there on my first trip to Africa when she was very, very young and I have been fostering her.  I have this image of her on Alamy.

 

D8B3G1.jpg

 

I will look for others and perhaps upload some. She was practically a newborn when she was rescued and has had trouble with her health all along. Everyone always called her "sweet Shukuru" and when National Geographic did an article she was featured. Michael "Nick"  Nichols had obviously fallen in love with her. https://michaelnicknichols.com/orphans-no-more/ That is Shukuru in the orange raincoat. His favorite image from the shoot was also of Shukuru.

 

Very sad news.

 

Paulette

 

Sorry for your loss Paulette.😭

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter, the one who lives in Wichita, had an auto accident this afternoon. No broken bones, but she has a very bad back and neck, (runs in the family) and that’s where she’s hurting plus a bad headache. She was taken to the emergency room by ambulance and is still there. I had a hard time reaching her husband at work (he does government hush hush work and has to lock away his phone) but he finally got the message and is with her. 6 hours later, she’s still waiting to be seen by a doctor, but she has been triaged. She has had a CT of the head & neck and X-rays of her chest & ribs.

She asked me not to come because the ER is packed and spilled over into the halls. Too many sick people. I’m still waiting for word.

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter, the one who lives in Wichita, had an auto accident this afternoon. No broken bones, but she has a very bad back and neck, (runs in the family) and that’s where she’s hurting plus a bad headache. She was taken to the emergency room by ambulance and is still there. I had a hard time reaching her husband at work (he does government hush hush work and has to lock away his phone) but he finally got the message and is with her. 6 hours later, she’s still waiting to be seen by a doctor, but she has been triaged. She has had a CT of the head & neck and X-rays of her chest & ribs.

She asked me not to come because the ER is packed and spilled over into the halls. Too many sick people. I’m still waiting for word.


I hope all goes well for her and that she nothing more then just shaken up.  I know it must be hard for you not to be able to be right there for her.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

She’s home and in incredible pain. I spent several hours with her.  
I watched her deliver her two sons without a whimper. She’s very stoic. But this is more of a pain reaction than I’ve ever seen from her.
She’s whiplashed severely, so her neck is bad. And it feels to her like she has broken ribs, though they aren’t. They’re very bruised. I think she’s torn cartilage loose from her ribs, and I’ve heard over the years that’s more painful than broken ones. It was all my son-in-law could do to get her out of the car, up the steps into their house and into a recliner while she sobbed. This is the same person when as a 10 year old, someone slammed the car door completely on her thumb and all I noticed was shiny eyes and a red face because it happened in front of a man she didn’t know who also was the one who slammed the door on her. She showed me her mangled thumb when we left the house of the people she refused to cry in front of.

My husband had a rib injury like that from doing cartwheels across the top of the water from a waterskiing fall. It took him a long time to recover, longer than my grown nephew’s 3 broken ribs from a four-wheeler rollover.

She has rheumatoid arthritis on top of it, so she’s in for a long recovery at the worst time of the year to be down and out. I’ll go stay with her tomorrow while my son-in-law cleans out their totaled van and any other time she needs me.

  • Sad 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.