Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

I'm in no hurry to embrace my older Pro's battery problem; it's still working and I prefer to use the newer Air anyway. But I was not happy talking to Apple today.  

Yes, Dave, getting parts is a problem. The elevators in my building have been out of order for weeks. Winter has arrive on this island. Not a Canadian winter, but wet and chilly. 

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Central heating boiler conked out. Part required not readily available and has to be ordered, so repair can't be done 'till Monday.

Fortunately I have got standby electric heaters and an immersion heater for hot water, so not a total disaster.

Our boiler is becoming a tad long in the tooth, and occasionally makes unpleasant noises, I'm trying to get a heating engineer to take a look. We have an old fashioned indirect system with a separate hot water tank, while most tradesmen appear to only fully understand the more frequently encountered combi boiler systems.

It will be a dilemma if it needs to be replaced as the jury appears to be taking a long while over the hydrogen question. Rumour has it that you can buy a hydrogen ready boiler, but will there ever be hydrogen in the pipes to supply it?  They have built a hydrogen heated show house nearby, so there is some evidence of progress. The expensive alternative of a heat pump doesn't appeal, too much complexity and cost, with no guarantee that it will produce a comfortable temperature in the depths of winter.

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Our boiler is becoming a tad long in the tooth, and occasionally makes unpleasant noises, I'm trying to get a heating engineer to take a look. We have an old fashioned indirect system with a separate hot water tank, while most tradesmen appear to only fully understand the more frequently encountered combi boiler systems.

It will be a dilemma if it needs to be replaced as the jury appears to be taking a long while over the hydrogen question. Rumour has it that you can buy a hydrogen ready boiler, but will there ever be hydrogen in the pipes to supply it?  They have built a hydrogen heated show house nearby, so there is some evidence of progress. The expensive alternative of a heat pump doesn't appeal, too much complexity and cost, with no guarantee that it will produce a comfortable temperature in the depths of winter.

We will replace the boiler in the spring but I'm a dinosaur as regards the system and will be sticking with my indirect hot water cylinder. We are comfortable at the moment with electric heaters in those rooms we use and the immersion providing hot water. Wouldn't touch a combi with the proverbial barge pole!!

According to the engineer who came to repair our old Potterton, there are new boilers on the market that can be fairly simply converted to use hydrogen.

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm in no hurry to embrace my older Pro's battery problem; it's still working and I prefer to use the newer Air anyway. But I was not happy talking to Apple today.  

Yes, Dave, getting parts is a problem. The elevators in my building have been out of order for weeks. Winter has arrive on this island. Not a Canadian winter, but wet and chilly. 

Hope you don't have too many stairs to climb Edo. Nothing worse with heavy shopping to lug up.

Fingers crossed the elevators are fixed soonest.

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Plus kith and kin: the wonderful McGarrigle sisters...

Think it was around 1976 I saw the McGarrigle Sisters locally at Friars, photographed on stage and later backstage while Kate and Anna in were being interviewed. Seems almost like yesterday.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

On 04/11/2021 at 08:04, Dave Richards said:

Hope you don't have too many stairs to climb Edo. Nothing worse with heavy shopping to lug up.

Fingers crossed the elevators are fixed soonest.

I'm on the first floor. The first floor in European terms. In the States, the ground floor is called the first floor. But there are 4 short flights of stairs to climb to reach my floor. Moving in or out will be a nightmare if the lifts don't get fixed. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm on the first floor. The first floor in European terms. In the States, the ground floor is called the first floor. But there are 4 short flights of stairs to climb to reach my floor. Moving in or out will be a nightmare if the lifts don't get get fixed. 

When you move let me know and I will come over to give a hand.

Allan (From one golden oldie to another)

9 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Good shout!

.....not forgetting Rufus Wainwright (even though he's listed as American/Canadian).

A lot of Canadian artists, etc. end up being dual citizens. Canada is a small pond. Rufus went to McGill University (so did I), and he used to perform at small venues around Montreal before he hit the big time.

13 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

We will replace the boiler in the spring but I'm a dinosaur as regards the system and will be sticking with my indirect hot water cylinder. We are comfortable at the moment with electric heaters in those rooms we use and the immersion providing hot water. Wouldn't touch a combi with the proverbial barge pole!!

According to the engineer who came to repair our old Potterton, there are new boilers on the market that can be fairly simply converted to use hydrogen.

I've nothing against combi boilers, but installing one in our house would mean major pipework alterations, and probably moving the boiler. One plumber suggested siting it in a bedroom - which isn't going to happen.  The trick is to pick one that has enough umph to heat the hot water on demand.  We'll also be retaining our indirect system if a new boiler is needed.

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've nothing against combi boilers, but installing one in our house would mean major pipework alterations, and probably moving the boiler. One plumber suggested siting it in a bedroom - which isn't going to happen.  The trick is to pick one that has enough umph to heat the hot water on demand.  We'll also be retaining our indirect system if a new boiler is needed.

Bryan, your comment reminded me of an elderly couple's old boiler. Their boiler had been, to a certain extent, so I was told, bricked in during house alterations. I never got to see what that involved. The elderly house owner was worried that when he passed away his wife would have problems either getting it repaired or replaced. He had a spare controller PCB that was utilised in a recent repair. I got involved in repairing the PCB, it was manufactured by a division of Farnell. They were and are still a large concern, but the divisions involved in industrial electronics and test equipment no longer existed (I still have a few pieces of Farnell Electronics test equipment). This was some time ago. When completed I fitted the repaired PCB into it's enclosure and all was well. I often remember the nice couple every time I pass what was their house, as it's in a very prominent location. For some time their house appears to be occupied by new owners. I often wondered if the boiler lasted the elderly couple out. Our Valliant boiler replaced the original some years back and is still going well.

• Love 1

I can't fault Ideal Classic boilers. They just seem to go on & on & on & on & on.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

And to think, all I've ever done for you was provide you with an inedible lunch — which you paid for. 🙃

We had two false alarms so far today. It's madness. Ma piano piano, as Italians say — step by step. 

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I can't fault Ideal Classic boilers. They just seem to go on & on & on & on & on.

Allan

That's good to know as ours is an Ideal Classic !  However it is 13 years old and in need of a bit of TLC.  Actually the earlier, less efficient, non condensing model was more reliable as it didn't have a fan or a complex control system. 

Ours developed a fault which only one out of 4 heating engineers diagnosed correctly. There is a sensor, or pressure switch, that detects the pressure generated by the fan and it won't allow gas to be admitted if the exhaust pressure is too low.  We were told that we needed a new control board £300, and even a new boiler, while a replacement sensor cost £25. I asked the bloke who diagnosed this to source and fit a replacement, but he was headed off on holiday, so acting on his advice, I bought and fitted it myself. I have since had this man back to fit a new pump and three way valve.

Edited by Bryan

On 05/11/2021 at 16:30, Ed Rooney said:

And to think, all I've ever done for you was provide you with an inedible lunch — which you paid for. 🙃

We had two false alarms so far today. It's madness. Ma piano piano, as Italians say — step by step. 

I chose it so it is my fault not yours.

Sorry to hear about your falsies.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I had a notification this morning about someone replying to a thread I started. This was the message...  Ouch... Hmmm...Thread is GONE. Seems to indicate that Alamy had something to do with the disappearance of a certain person. I guess this will be deleted too. Sigh.

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.

Due to work on my local 3 network I was not able to make phone calls or receive emails or even get on line this morning.

Seems to be back to normal now but as work is ongoing for another 7 days don't worry if I disappear for a while.

I'll be back sometime.

Allan

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I had a notification this morning about someone replying to a thread I started. This was the message...  Ouch... Hmmm...Thread is GONE. Seems to indicate that Alamy had something to do with the disappearance of a certain person. I guess this will be deleted too. Sigh.

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.

Nanny attack! 🤣

Phil

• Alamy locked this topic