Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Just heard from my daughter that she failed a PCR test. The whole family had been coughing, lots of it around. She had done daily LFT’s, all negative, and as others working in education all had coughing colds she thought nothing of it. She then took a PCR test that was positive so is isolating. The crazy thing is she should continue to send her son to school, but is keeping him off until he and her husband have PCR tests tonight and get their results. Schools are a mass breeding ground for Covid, but currently not as bad as July was, really bad. Luckily for her so far she hasn’t had it bad, just the cough. My wife was going to stay with my daughters family for a week from this coming Sunday, all called off now.

16 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Just heard from my daughter that she failed a PCR test. The whole family had been coughing, lots of it around. She had done daily LFT’s, all negative, and as others working in education all had coughing colds she thought nothing of it. She then took a PCR test that was positive so is isolating. The crazy thing is she should continue to send her son to school, but is keeping him off until he and her husband have PCR tests tonight and get their results. Schools are a mass breeding ground for Covid, but currently not as bad as July was, really bad. Luckily for her so far she hasn’t had it bad, just the cough. My wife was going to stay with my daughters family for a week from this coming Sunday, all called off now.

Not far off late July rates now and likely to surpass soon as I predicted some weeks back, accompanied by some dummy icons. UK seems to have the highest case rates on the planet now. So is this what Bojo meant when he said world-beating? I guess nobody could have foreseen it spreading though school kids. The vaccination programme for schools is utterly chaotic I believe. 

On 19/10/2021 at 08:45, MDM said:

Not far off late July rates now and likely to surpass soon as I predicted some weeks back, accompanied by some dummy icons. UK seems to have the highest case rates on the planet now. So is this what Bojo meant when he said world-beating? I guess nobody could have foreseen it spreading though school kids. The vaccination programme for schools is utterly chaotic I believe. 

I hope you are continuing to gain back your health, Michael. Good thoughts coming your way. Here, there are more and more fully vaxed people dying. I believe one report said around 40% of deaths recently were fully vaxed. That’s alarming, if true.

I don’t need to tell you to take extra-special care, but then I think I’ll say it anyway. Please take extra-special care! 😂

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I believe one report said around 40% of deaths recently were fully vaxed. That’s alarming, if true.

While no vaccine gives a person 100% protection, the death rate you are quoting seems awfully high and counter to all the sites I just checked, including the CDC. But still if one is over 65 and have comorbidities, even being fully vaxed with a booster, you still need to be careful for sure!

The latest data from August 29-September 4 show that less than one vaccinated person per 100,000 had died the previous week compared with more than nine unvaccinated people per 100,000. Overall, in August, according to the tool, unvaccinated people were 6.1 times more likely than fully vaccinated people to test positive for COVID-19 and 11.3 times more likely to die from it.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

While no vaccine gives a person 100% protection, the death rate you are quoting seems awfully high and counter to all the sites I just checked, including the CDC. But still if one is over 65 and have comorbidities, even being fully vaxed with a booster, you still need to be careful for sure!

The latest data from August 29-September 4 show that less than one vaccinated person per 100,000 had died the previous week compared with more than nine unvaccinated people per 100,000. Overall, in August, according to the tool, unvaccinated people were 6.1 times more likely than fully vaccinated people to test positive for COVID-19 and 11.3 times more likely to die from it.

This CBC article seems to back that up.

However, with immunity starting to wear off, the situation could be changing.

Get that booster!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I hope you are continuing to gain back your health, Michael. Good thoughts coming your way. Here, there are more and more fully vaxed people dying. I believe one report said around 40% of deaths recently were fully vaxed. That’s alarming, if true.

I don’t need to tell you to take extra-special care, but then I think I’ll say it anyway. Please take extra-special care! 😂

Thanks Betty, the good wishes are really appreciated. I have improved a lot since getting out of hospital although I am still resting most of the time. However, I had a wedding booked for 2 days ago with a photographer friend lined up to replace me - he shoots and gives me the files to edit. As the day got closer, I was feeling much better so I went along with him and actually managed to last the entire day. I would not have been able to do it alone though. Knowing I could stop any time and he could take over completely was a great safety net. There were times I was thinking of leaving but I stuck it out and it has had a very positive effect on my general outlook even though I am now paying for it in terms of tiredness. But I am recovering quickly from exhaustion as well as long as I rest a lot.

So life feels very good right now. Three weeks ago I had no idea if I would get through and live a normal life again but now I think there is a good chance of that.  I should be ok with Covid at the moment - it's flu or other chest infections I need to watch out for. Take care yourself. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I take everything with a grain of salt, Michael. That’s why I said “if it’s true”.

And considering this:This from an article in STAT news, a Boston Media company.  You know he’s not the only politician with huge stakes in the companies making the vax.

The Foxes are in the henhouse. These people have an invested interest in skewing the reported results, not just the lawmakers.

I plan on continuing to use my critical thinking and discernment.

Rep. Joe Kennedy III

Rep. Joe Kennedy (D-Mass.) owns as much as $1.7 million of stock in three of the vaccine makers testifying before his panel.GREG NASH/POOL VIA AP

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 2

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I take everything with a grain of salt, Michael. That’s why I said “if it’s true”.

And considering this:This from an article in STAT news, a Boston Media company.  You know he’s not the only politician with huge stakes in the companies making the vax.

The Foxes are in the henhouse. These people have an invested interest in skewing the reported results, not just the lawmakers.

I plan on continuing to use my critical thinking and discernment.

Rep. Joe Kennedy (D-Mass.) owns as much as $1.7 million of stock in three of the vaccine makers testifying before his panel.GREG NASH/POOL VIA AP

Just when we were all getting along so nicely you come out with what is nothing but an ill-disguised conspiracy theory Betty. The implication of your post is that politicians are making money from vaccinations by skewing results - that is nonsense and if you believe that you would believe anything. It would be irresponsible of me to allow this to just pass.

The fact is that the vaccines are highly effective against very serious disease which is why the death rates here in the UK are much lower than they were earlier in the pandemic despite similarly high case rates. One of the main reasons vaccinated people are dying is simply because most elderly people (>80) are now vaccinated and many have serious underlying conditions on top of simple being old. Similarly vaccinations reduce the seriousness of the symptoms in many or most people. The fact that I got seriously ill after being doubly vaccinated is neither here nor there - my immune system has been battered by the first bout of Covid - and I have to wonder what would have happened if I had not been vaccinated at all. 

So I have to say I am very disappointed that you would promote this nonsense that you read somewhere on the internet with an obvious underlying political agenda and totally ignore the science. There is far too much of that about and it is so base as to not even be worth arguing with for the most part.

It's nice to see family snapshots but the context is a bit off - my mother used to tell me that my ginger hair came from the Kennedy side of the family 😎.

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

In Irish, Rooney means red haired. But no one in my group of Sligo Rooneys had red hair. My stepson did though. 

There are several ginger genes apparently and the intermingling with all the other genes gives quite a lot of variation in colour. I was the only one in the Murphy family of 24 cousins or so with ginger hair and I hated it as a teenager. But it darkened as I got into my twenties and it was a fine head of hair in its day. These days it’s dark brown and  a lot more sparse. I have not been able to get it cut for about 6 months so it is kinda crazy but who cares. 

The word rua is an old Irish name for red. Fox in Irish is madra rua which means red dog. Ruairí (Rory in English) and  other similar spellings means red (haired) king - rí is the Irish for king. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MDM said:

Thanks Betty, the good wishes are really appreciated. I have improved a lot since getting out of hospital although I am still resting most of the time. However, I had a wedding booked for 2 days ago with a photographer friend lined up to replace me - he shoots and gives me the files to edit. As the day got closer, I was feeling much better so I went along with him and actually managed to last the entire day. I would not have been able to do it alone though. Knowing I could stop any time and he could take over completely was a great safety net. There were times I was thinking of leaving but I stuck it out and it has had a very positive effect on my general outlook even though I am now paying for it in terms of tiredness. But I am recovering quickly from exhaustion as well as long as I rest a lot.

So life feels very good right now. Three weeks ago I had no idea if I would get through and live a normal life again but now I think there is a good chance of that.  I should be ok with Covid at the moment - it's flu or other chest infections I need to watch out for. Take care yourself. 

Hey that's great news Mick and bodes well for the future but don't go and overdo it too early will you?  We don't want you knocking yourself back.

Allan

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hey that's great news Mick and bodes well for the future but don't go and overdo it too early will you?  We don't want you knocking yourself back.

Allan

Trying to balance things Allan. Originally I had no intention of going to that wedding early last week but then I started to feel better and thought why not just go along with no pressure, as my photographer friend would be responsible for the work anyway. I did take it easy to some extent, booked a nearby Travelodge for the night before and after. As  the day wore on I found myself doing a lot of the photography and I think the client will be getting a really good set of images. 

I was exhausted for the first two days after it but am feeling a lot better today and enjoying the editing as well. Yes definitely overall it was a  really positive experience. I need to build up some physical fitness as well so will start on that soon. 

Edited by MDM

On 21/10/2021 at 08:46, MDM said:

Just when we were all getting along so nicely you come out with what is nothing but an ill-disguised conspiracy theory Betty. The implication of your post is that politicians are making money from vaccinations by skewing results - that is nonsense and if you believe that you would believe anything. It would be irresponsible of me to allow this to just pass.

I used get it in the neck when challenging this and other sorts of stuff, which is what the blocked list is for, so I was going to suggest you watch out, but you've had coronavirus twice, so you'll probably be able to put up with that sort of noise.;)

On 21/10/2021 at 08:46, MDM said:

So I have to say I am very disappointed that you would promote this nonsense that you read somewhere on the internet with an obvious underlying political agenda and totally ignore the science. There is far too much of that about and it is so base as to not even be worth arguing with for the most part.

Disappointed but no longer surprised here. I'm trying to avoid it, but of course if it's challenged I can't avoid the quotes! Not that it shouldn't be to save anyone's feelings.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/24/fact-check-medicare-hospitals-paid-more-covid-19-patients-coronavirus/3000638001/

Somebody I know was shocked when they got the death certificate of a family member who died of long-term heart failure, and Covid was listed on the death certificate. This person did not have Covid.

But hey, y’all, I’m sure you can deny this.

There are some hospitals that are struggling to keep their doors open. I know of one personally. They need help. This hospital is the only one to serve an area. The temptation is there, and this is the same hospital that listed Covid as the cause of death falsely. Do you believe this is a one off?

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

In Irish, Rooney means red haired. But no one in my group of Sligo Rooneys had red hair. My stepson did though. 

There is a streak of more auburn-haired, rather than flaming red, people in my family. Aunt, sister, daughter. All with freckles. We have Scot heritage, I don’t know if that’s where it comes from. Further ancestors pictures are in B&W, so I can’t tell about them.

• Love 1

Anyone in the UK with cats or dogs with their annual vaccination due may be in for a surprise. Our cat Bran is due his next month, but his Vet has said they can't obtain any vaccine. We were advised going over a short time of up to 3 months won't cause any issues. A friend has 2 dogs, is registered at a different vets to our cat, and has already been waiting more than 3 months. As well as the possibility of affecting the health of our pets, others complications can arise if outdated vaccination documentation isn't accepted re boarding kennels, catteries or travel out of the UK. See https://www.bva.co.uk/news-and-blog/news-article/vets-allay-pet-owner-concerns-over-short-term-vaccine-shortages/

I wonder if this is just a UK issue or is international.

Slowly but surely more and more items are becoming in short supply.

Edited by sb photos

4 hours ago, sb photos said:

Anyone in the UK with cats or dogs with their annual vaccination due may be in for a surprise. Our cat Bran is due his next month, but his Vet has said they can't obtain any vaccine. We were advised going over a short time of up to 3 months won't cause any issues. A friend has 2 dogs, is registered at a different vets to our cat, and has already been waiting more than 3 months. As well as the possibility of affecting the health of our pets, others complications can arise if outdated vaccination documentation isn't accepted re boarding kennels, catteries or travel out of the UK. See https://www.bva.co.uk/news-and-blog/news-article/vets-allay-pet-owner-concerns-over-short-term-vaccine-shortages/

I wonder if this is just a UK issue or is international.

Slowly but surely more and more items are becoming in short supply.

Makes one wonder if our human meds will eventually be affected, doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Makes one wonder if our human meds will eventually be affected, doesn’t it?

The potential is there for sure. I just ordered refills on my meds that were available for refill. So I should be covered for 3 1/2 to 4 months

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

The potential is there for sure. I just ordered refills on my meds that were available for refill. So I should be covered for 3 1/2 to 4 months

I can only order on a monthly basis.

18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I can only order on a monthly basis.

Same here, every 28 days. I remember long ago when I could order for 3 months.

Getting back to Betty’s comment, during last year the Tesco pharmacy couldn’t get one of my meds, eventually it took 6 weeks. Their distributor could obtain any. Luckily I had accumulated extra in case Brexit caused delays importing. I never did find out what caused the out of stock. Only that one issue, so far everything is running smoothly.

Edited by sb photos

There are grocery items that have skyrocketed in price. I tried to order a small bottled sauce and it was $13 plus. I tried at another market and got it for $3 something. Please compare, y’all, if you place online orders. I picked up orders from two different markets yesterday and even shopping carefully, I probably paid 40% more than I did a year ago.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Same here, every 28 days. I remember long ago when I could order for 3 months.

Getting back to Betty’s comment, during last year the Tesco pharmacy couldn’t get one of my meds, eventually it took 6 weeks. Their distributor could obtain any. Luckily I had accumulated extra in case Brexit caused delays importing. I never did find out what caused the out of stock. Only that one issue, so far everything is running smoothly.

I am gradually building a stock too. When I order this time I will have Three and a half weeks still in hand.

My surgery were good when I told them I was going away and would not be around to either order or collect so They gave me two months supply.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic