Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

I'm listening to the downpour outside (with another rainfall warning) and reading about weather forecasts, ha.  I find in Vancouver the tv weather reports will mainly focus on the weather in our province, but sometimes talk about storm systems heading our way that affect the American West coast as well.  But I mainly use my phone app for weather anyways, with cities listed for friends and family across Canada and the U.S.

Fan of k.d. lang and Jane Siberry as well, saw k.d. in a summertime outdoor concert a few years back and she was wonderful.

Sorry, I just realized this is supposed to be a bad news thread.      It's raining again, boo!

9 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I am sure your local and national weather reports are great as they are here in DC, the stations are very competitive and pour tons of money into fancy technology, but when it comes to Canada it is only mentioned if super cold weather is coming from there or if they have an extreme "newsworthy" event.  Just watching the news now, the weather map just has the north borderlines drawn and noting else descriptive above that, other than an outline of the country itself.  I have traveled pretty extensively in Canada and I have had kids come up to me and test my knowledge of Canada (fortunately I did okay, thanks to my curiosity and love of geography), they wanted to know why they need to learn so much about the U.S. but yet Americans seem to know so little about Canada.  I didn't have a good answer for them.  At least we have pro sports teams in the same league (ice hockey, soccer, basketball and baseball) so that helps some with knowing Canadian cities.

Ice hockey?

As for other sport , one basketball i guess,  soccer no idea, and baseball i think we are down to 2: Jays and Canadians, sad that all the Canadian teams were moved away. 

Edited by meanderingemu

KD Lang? She's got the pipes, and she's got the talent. Let's not forget Leonard Cohen and Oscar Peterson when talking about Canadian music masters. 

MariaJ, don't worry about the good news-bad news titles. Some of these posts are more chatroom than photo forum. I set this one up, and that's funny — because I don't like to complain. Basically, we are all dealt hands of cards in life, some good and some bad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

KD Lang? She's got the pipes, and she's got the talent. Let's not forget Leonard Cohen and Oscar Peterson when talking about Canadian music masters. 

MariaJ, don't worry about the good news-bad news titles. Some of these posts are more chatroom than photo forum. I set this one up, and that's funny — because I don't like to complain. Basically, we are all dealt hands of cards in life, some good and some bad. 

And don't forget Joni Mitchell (tho we can all forget Justin Bieber)!  So many great musicians are from Canada

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

My point being that, if not for some pro sports, Americans would know even less about Canada.

and my point is that it's called hockey in North America (you did use soccer for football). 

now i'm curious about the USA's knowledge of Canada, does that mean they don't know about the existence of Atlantic Canada which has no pro sport teams in one of the aforementioned sports? Halifax does have a Lacrosse team in the NLL

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

and my point is that it's called hockey in North America (you did use soccer for football). 

now i'm curious about the USA's knowledge of Canada, does that mean they don't know about the existence of Atlantic Canada which has no pro sport teams in one of the aforementioned sports? Halifax does have a Lacrosse team in the NLL

Yes, used soccer for football or futball and I know we are just about the only place in the world that uses the term soccer.  As for ice hockey as opposed to just hockey, you'll have to forgive me, my father played on the Egyptian Olympic field hockey team back in the 1940's so it is more of a personal descriptive, I think the Olympics did away with field hockey.  My brother played hockey (ice) for most of his life until he gave up his skates for cycling.  He just played on regional league teams.  I have been all over Atlantic Canada and loved every inch I have seen!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, used soccer for football or futball and I know we are just about the only place in the world that uses the term soccer.  As for ice hockey as opposed to just hockey, you'll have to forgive me, my father played on the Egyptian Olympic field hockey team back in the 1940's so it is more of a personal descriptive, I think the Olympics did away with field hockey.  My brother played hockey (ice) for most of his life until he gave up his skates for cycling.  He just played on regional league teams.  I have been all over Atlantic Canada and loved every inch I have seen!

Ireland is another exception where soccer is often used to distinguish from Gaelic football which along with hurling is one of the national games and hugely popular right across the island.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Your brother must’ve decided he wanted to keep the rest of his teeth. 😉

Many of you who have followed the Edo, Nomad on the Eearth's Surface story may know that I have two MacBooks, a newish M1 MacBook Air and a 2017 MacBook Pro. The Pro has been showing me a "Service Recommended" message on the battery. ??? 

I stopped by the Apple store today and asked what a new battery would cost me if I needed one. A simple question. They had no answer but they gave me the service number to call. So . . . not a simple answer. 

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Many of you who have followed the Edo, Nomad on the Eearth's Surface story may know that I have two MacBooks, a newish M1 MacBook Air and a 2017 MacBook Pro. The Pro has been showing me a "Service Recommended" message on the battery. ??? 

I stopped by the Apple store today and asked what a new battery would cost me if I needed one. A simple question. They had no answer but they gave me the service number to call. So . . . not a simple answer. 

Ed, a service recommended error indicates the battery condition is not as expected. This can typically mean a shortened runtime or when the charge shown is lower than indicated when using on battery could suffer from an unexpected shut down. When using with mains power there would be no issues.

The battery is part of the top case with battery assembly, this also includes the keyboard, trackpad and speakers. From my experience, with a service recommended error your MBP should fail Apples battery test thus qualifying for a lower cost than if you had another issue. To replace it’s a complete strip down and rebuild. Apple have a fixed price for this job. I suspect Apple may be cheaper than an AASP as Apple have a tier charge for jobs, others may charge for time taken. Perhaps a phone call to Apple is called for. The only battery issue I know of that may entitle you to a free repair under a quality program is if your battery doesn’t charge over 1%.

Is yours a 13” or 15”? I have the touch bar 13” 2016, and it’s still going strong.

Edited by sb photos
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Apple Stores don't do repairs or services so the answer was probably pretty simple if they actually gave you a number to call. I just did a search and, while there is no Apple Authorised Service provider in Liverpool, this place looks good to me. At least I would give them a call if it was me looking for a replacement battery for a MacBook Pro in Liverpool. Expect to pay £199 which is the official Apple price.

The big question is whether or not you need a new battery at all. If you are not using it much away from mains power, then why bother?

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Your brother must’ve decided he wanted to keep the rest of his teeth. 😉

Ha! Yes, he did get into a bad fight once that sent him to the hospital with an serious eye injury...the good news is that he recovered fully and the other good news was that from the money he got when he won a lawsuit against the player who punched him in the eye, he was able to buy his first house!!  The league he was playing in had rules against any kind of fighting (unlike the pros that almost encourage it).  Funny enough, the guy who punched him was a Baltimore city policeman, my brother was a DC firefighter then.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, MDM said:

Apple Stores don't do repairs or services so the answer was probably pretty simple if they actually gave you a number to call. I just did a search and, while there is no Apple Authorised Service provider in Liverpool, this place looks good to me. At least I would give them a call if it was me looking for a replacement battery for a MacBook Pro in Liverpool. Expect to pay £199 which is the official Apple price.

The big question is whether or not you need a new battery at all. If you are not using it much away from mains power, then why bother?

The only way for an ACMT to obtain Apple specific spares is if they are on the books with a AASP. An ACMT in their own business takes all Apple exams, but their premises are not authorised, and their accounts haven’t been audited to prove they have financial stability. Knowing the cost to service providers and Apples repair charge, I can’t see how an independent can compete price wise on this specific repair. All Apple Stores have Genius Bar’s who undertake repairs. Due to pressure of work, they ship more repairs away now hence longer repair TAT. Now even AASP’s have to ship certain repairs away to repair centre’s in Europe.

Edited by sb photos

Ha! Yes, he did get into a bad fight once that sent him to the hospital with an serious eye injury...the good news is that he recovered fully and the other good news was that from the money he got when he won a lawsuit against the player who punched him in the eye, he was able to buy his first house!!  The league he was playing in had rules against any kind of fighting (unlike the pros that almost encourage it).  Funny enough, the guy who punched him was a Baltimore city policeman, my brother was a DC firefighter then.

Good for your brother. An injury to the eye is serious stuff. I saw a lot of injuries working for an ophthalmologist, the worst being a boy, around 13 yrs old, hit in the eye with a thrown rock. The result was his eye collapsing from loss of vitreous fluid. The eye had to be removed.

53 minutes ago, sb photos said:

The only way for an ACMT to obtain Apple specific spares is if they are on the books with a AASP. An ACMT in their own business takes all Apple exams, but their premises are not authorised, and their accounts haven’t been audited to prove they have financial stability. Knowing the cost to service providers and Apples repair charge, I can’t see how an independent can compete price wise on this specific repair. All Apple Stores have Genius Bar’s who undertake repairs. Due to pressure of work, they ship more repairs away now hence longer repair TAT. Now even AASP’s have to ship certain repairs away to repair centre’s in Europe.

Thanks for the enlightenment Steve and apologies for what I got wrong to Edo and anyone else reading this. I was under the impression that Apple Stores would only take in devices that were still under warranty for repair and leave other repairs to authorised service centres. I have tended to use MacUpgrades near Cambridge for repairs and they are not authorised repairers but anything they have done has been fine. I needed a replacement retina screen for a 2014 13" MacBook Pro a few years ago and they did it for £300 (probably a secondhand screen from another machine). The official Apple price was around £700 if I recall correctly. The point is that I think there is still a place for trustworthy independent repairers.

Edited by MDM

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for your brother. An injury to the eye is serious stuff. I saw a lot of injuries working for an ophthalmologist, the worst being a boy, around 13 yrs old, hit in the eye with a thrown rock. The result was his eye collapsing from loss of vitreous fluid. The eye had to be removed.

Yes, he was lucky, he required surgery to fix his eye, he had terrible double vision for a while, if that is what it is called.  I am sure he said some things to the other player before being punched (he has a mouth on him)....bad words are okay but not hitting another player.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, he was lucky, he required surgery to fix his eye, he had terrible double vision for a while, if that is what it is called.  I am sure he said some things to the other player before being punched (he has a mouth on him)....bad words are okay but not hitting another player.

Sounds like his retina could have been detaching, but there are other injuries. Glad his outcome was good. And yes, double vision is the right term, and can drive one nuts.

Ice hockey is an exciting game, perhaps too exciting and fast-paced, which I think is one of the reasons there is so much fighting. Slower-paced field hockey seems a much more civilized sport. Fortunately, I couldn't skate well enough to play ice hockey. Also, I was a wimp when it came to contact sports -- let someone else get crushed and punched in the face was my motto. Life's too short. Tennis anyone? 🎾

• Love 2

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Ice hockey is an exciting game, perhaps too exciting and fast-paced, which I think is one of the reasons there is so much fighting. Slower-paced field hockey seems a much more civilized sport. Fortunately, I couldn't skate well enough to play ice hockey. Also, I was a wimp when it came to contact sports -- let someone else get crushed and punched in the face was my motto. Life's too short. Tennis anyone? 🎾

Hang on a minute while I leap over the net you, you!🤨

Allan

Central heating boiler conked out. Part required not readily available and has to be ordered, so repair can't be done 'till Monday.

Fortunately I have got standby electric heaters and an immersion heater for hot water, so not a total disaster.

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

......................and Joni Mitchell, Michael Buble, Diana Krall.

• Alamy locked this topic