Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Given that the original thread has been reinstated, would that not be a better place to continue what seems to me a rather pointless argument that is going nowwhere. As James as said, the continued boring moaning is not in the spirit of the apology and - just let it go or take it back to where it came from if you must. 

This is a long-running thread with loads of interesting stuff as well as lots of less interesting stuff and it would be a shame if it went the way of being locked or removed. I just want to read about the real bad things that happened to people today. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 3

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

Given that the original thread has been reinstated, would that not be a better place to continue what seems to me a rather pointless argument that is going nowwhere. As James as said, the continued boring moaning is not in the spirit of the apology and - just let it go or take it back to where it came from if you must. 

This is a long-running thread with loads of interesting stuff as well as lots of less interesting stuff and it would be a shame if it went the way of being locked or removed. I just want to read about the real bad things that happened to people today. 

James did not say that. 

There is not the slightest hint that this thread is going to be blocked though it is interesting to compare it to many, many others which have been scrapped for being 'off-topic'. 

If you want this 'pointless argument' to stop then why continue it?

Edited by geogphotos

I don't know why the thread in which I inquired if we had lost Ian was removed. He had responded but I didn't see that because there was no more thread. I assume it had taken some wrong direction but I was left with the impression that we couldn't express concern about his absence.. an odd thing to remove. I had reached him through his website and found out he was OK but didn't even know if I was "allowed" to tell the rest of the Forum.

Paulette

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I don't know why the thread in which I inquired if we had lost Ian was removed. He had responded but I didn't see that because there was no more thread. I assume it had taken some wrong direction but I was left with the impression that we couldn't express concern about his absence.. an odd thing to remove. I had reached him through his website and found out he was OK but didn't even know if I was "allowed" to tell the rest of the Forum.

Paulette

Sorry, that was probably my fault. Alamy nuked two threads I posted in instead of just deleting my posts, so I'm reluctant to contribute now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Which is one of my issue with the nuking and locking thread.   Still not sure what was wrong about me asking how Alamy recommends we indicate diversity in images and contributors,  since they indicated that is what clients are looking for.  

1 hour ago, DJ Myford said:

Sorry, that was probably my fault. Alamy nuked two threads I posted in instead of just deleting my posts, so I'm reluctant to contribute now.

Based on comments it seems Alamy is active in warning those that go beyond what they deem acceptable,  so if you didn't get one  i wouldn't stop from posting. 

The missus helped me carry our wooden garden bench into the garage for surgery. It was quite expensive (by my standards) not so very long ago, so disappointing that it now needs attention. We've a 30 year old cast iron/wooden bench that has stood the test  of time far better. 

On inspection I discovered that the tenon that connects one of the legs to the rail supporting the seat had rotted, along with some the rail. A bigger job than I had anticipated. 

Now I'm a big fan of the repair shop programme, and would love to do some of the things they do, but I've neither the expertise nor the tools. However I made a start by cutting out the rotten wood and fashioned a new piece to replace some of it. I can't replace the tenon as I can't completely dismantle the bench, so my compromise will be to fit wooden dowels. I left the job with the new section glued in place and held secure with a couple of clamps. The job will move onto phase two tomorrow.

Edited by Bryan
  • Thanks 2

Today followed a small blue courier van with prominent Electric Vehicle signage. Was waiting for it to stop to photograph it. Deviated a little off my route, only to see it drive through a company security gate. Annoying, as I’m processing other EV pics and variety would have been useful. There will be other days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Started to fill in our tax returns......... 😒

Completed my 2020 - 21 return back in the summer. Will pay in December rather than at the last moment in January. Panicked last January when attempting to pay HMRC at the last moment via my debit card, each time there were issues. Raised a help request with HMRC, they came back with that they had a bug involving cards with certain number sequences. I had already paid by bank transfer.

10 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Completed my 2020 - 21 return back in the summer. Will pay in December rather than at the last moment in January. Panicked last January when attempting to pay HMRC at the last moment via my debit card, each time there were issues. Raised a help request with HMRC, they came back with that they had a bug involving cards with certain number sequences. I had already paid by bank transfer.

With SEISS, the money's been travelling the other way these past 18 months...........🍸

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Started to fill in our tax returns......... 😒

It is a bit early for tax returns.......OH! You mean for 20 - 21 I think. Silly me.  I completed mine in April this year for 20 - 21.

Allan

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

It is a bit early for tax returns.......OH! You mean for 20 - 21 I think. Silly me.  I completed mine in April this year for 20 - 21.

Allan

It’s never to early to keep your accounts spreadsheet up to date re 2021 - 22 though. I remember a chaotic friend who used to shove all his business paperwork into a box and give to his accountant to process, and often at the last moment. No way to keep your sanity.

15 minutes ago, sb photos said:

It’s never to early to keep your accounts spreadsheet up to date re 2021 - 22 though. I remember a chaotic friend who used to shove all his business paperwork into a box and give to his accountant to process, and often at the last moment. No way to keep your sanity.

My accounts spreadsheet is an ongoing task which is added too every time there is income and each time there are outgoings continually throughout the year.

I usually manage to get a refund from the HMRC.

Allan

31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

My accounts spreadsheet is an ongoing task which is added too every time there is income and each time there are outgoings continually throughout the year.

Allan

Only once had a refund.  On one occasion they asked for a payment that I had already made months previously, fortunately I had kept the records and the problem was sorted. 

A friend of mine worked as a small business adviser, and this involved a lot of travelling. He was once asked to justify all of his car mileage throughout the year. It took him ages to go back through all of his meetings to work out the detail. 

We always sort our tax returns in November, normally waiting for a rainy day to increase the sense of gloom ......

But yes, I keep a record of all comings and goings throughout the year, it's just the assembling of this information and the translation of HMRCs  arcane language that gets me. I confess there are some alternatives that I find beyond comprehension, but, for the sums involved, it's not worth getting too stressed. Most of our income comes as pensions, and they are taxed at source. If I had significant other earnings I would employ an accountant.

Edited by Bryan

33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I do the same. Keep a spreadsheet and update at the end of each month. I make sure to save a Duplicate copy each and every time.

It is useful to keep an eye on the gap between Revenue and Expenses to weigh up the tax situation versus possibly increased business investment ( ie.buy something!)

I keep a notebook in the car for all business mileage @45p a mile.

Edited by geogphotos

I seem to have hurt my hip from diy and paint renovations at mums. All the leaping about on and off chair-to-paint ceiling and coving and now I’m limping like a poor sidekick outlaw from a western movie. 

Such a glutton I shall be at it again come the morrow as there are more walls awaiting to complete. 

Im glad I have humour. It might come in handy.

🧐

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, R De Marigny said:

I seem to have hurt my hip from diy and paint renovations at mums. All the leaping about on and off chair-to-paint ceiling and coving and now I’m limping like a poor sidekick outlaw from a western movie. 

Such a glutton I shall be at it again come the morrow as there are more walls awaiting to complete. 

Im glad I have humour. It might come in handy.

🧐

I do those things to myself, also. Just now healing a nasty blister from hand trimming a huge bush. But somehow climbing on and off ladders seem to do a number on bodies. It’s usually my “sitting” muscles that pay the price, like using a stair machine when I’m not conditioned for it.

I like painting, just not the prep or cleanup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Last month had a filling in a tooth cavity which made the problem worse, finally gave in today went back to the dentist and had the thing pulled, never trust an ivory poacher. 😒 I recon he just wanted the metal back.    

You probably could have saved it with a root canal, but you’d need to sell a kidney to finance it. Oh, maybe not your country, just mine if I had no insurance. I have had it done and the copay is still high. I sold a toe.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You probably could have saved it with a root canal, but you’d need to sell a kidney to finance it. Oh, maybe not your country, just mine if I had no insurance. I have had it done and the copay is still high. I sold a toe.

Toe right.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic