Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

On 24/09/2021 at 14:42, John Morrison said:

All that's required is to announce that "There's no need to panic"!  🙁

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! Don't panic.

Allan

On 24/09/2021 at 21:15, Dave Richards said:

Just found that the DNG won’t open so you guys are right on that.

I think my Mac may be OK to run Mojave so I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Maybe if that is successful and I can get the DNG converter I might also be able to get View NX-i and download images from the camera in the way I am used to doing it. Live in hope and if that doesn’t work I’ll tip the bloody Mac into the Thames and buy a new one with all the whistles and bells. Would then just need to persuade “she who must be obeyed” that it is the necessary course of action. Thanks to everyone, your help is greatly appreciated.

Yipee! See Post a Good Thing thread.

Roads are still gridlocked around here which is very frustrating.  I do have fuel but am put off driving anywhere as the routes I take are just choc a block with cars queuing for fuel. Apparently there were queues from 4.30 am this morning at my local BP, quite possibly even before that.  I did walk down there yesterday as it's literally a 2 minute walk and took a few pictures which are now in QC.  Also very handy if we run out of anything we can get in the M & S there. 

Carol

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Roads are still gridlocked around here which is very frustrating.  I do have fuel but am put off driving anywhere as the routes I take are just choc a block with cars queuing for fuel. Apparently there were queues from 4.30 am this morning at my local BP, quite possibly even before that.  I did walk down there yesterday as it's literally a 2 minute walk and took a few pictures which are now in QC.  Also very handy if we run out of anything we can get in the M & S there. 

Carol

It’s early morning here, and I just watched a piece on television saying it was the shortage of truck drivers causing your (UK) shortages at the pump.  We have some of that. I don’t see it at the gasoline pumps, but sometimes at the grocery store. It’s a strange world out there, and most likely will get stranger.

Covid, climate change, lines at the pumps, and Brexit -- strange? Ouch!  🤪

Allan is right. John Lewis is a great store. I bought my Sony RX100-7 there as well as most of my household items. I love shopping in M&S Foodhall too. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s early morning here, and I just watched a piece on television saying it was the shortage of truck drivers causing your (UK) shortages at the pump.  We have some of that. I don’t see it at the gasoline pumps, but sometimes at the grocery store. It’s a strange world out there, and most likely will get stranger.

While I was away on hols I got to talking with a truck driver who was having a holiday at the same place. I suggested that it had been a mistake to reduce the rail network back in the day of the Beecham cuts. Instead they should have built on what they had and modernised the network so that most of the goods which are now carried by lorries on the roads could have been taken to various centers around the country from which smaller trucks/vans would have delivered to local depots. All they seem to think about these days is build more roads and have more long distance lorry drivers in juggernauts.

He agreed with me.

Allan

On 28/09/2021 at 17:59, Allan Bell said:

While I was away on hols I got to talking with a truck driver who was having a holiday at the same place. I suggested that it had been a mistake to reduce the rail network back in the day of the Beecham cuts. Instead they should have built on what they had and modernised the network so that most of the goods which are now carried by lorries on the roads could have been taken to various centers around the country from which smaller trucks/vans would have delivered to local depots. All they seem to think about these days is build more roads and have more long distance lorry drivers in juggernauts.

He agreed with me.

Allan

I get the impression that, after years of decline, internationally railfreight is seeing something of a resurgence. The Chinese are building new lines and are looking to move stuff across the globe by rail rather than by ship or plane. The channel tunnel rail route provides the opportunity to import perishable goods without resorting to flying etc. I guess that, in the UK, railfreight has taken a hit due to the move away from coal, but I've seen trains branded Eddy Stobbart (the truck operator) and more recently Tesco the supermarket. Unfortunately many of the local rail distribution centres have gone, but maybe it's time to reinvent this mode of transportation. 

I had a similar conversation to yours with the owner of a small car workshop. Without prompting, he told me that he had built up his business over 25 years but that he didn't see a future in it. He had persuaded his sons to look elsewhere for work and one was about to start training as a wind turbine maintenance technician. He felt that, in future, fewer people would be able to afford (electric) cars and that more use would be made of public transport, walking and cycling. It was quite a revelation !

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I get the impression that, after years of decline, internationally railfreight is seeing something of a resurgence. The Chinese are building new lines and are looking to move stuff across the globe by rail rather than by ship or plane. The channel tunnel rail route provides the opportunity to import perishable goods without resorting to flying etc. I guess that, in the UK, railfreight has taken a hit due to the move away from coal, but I've seen trains branded Eddy Stobbart (the truck operator) and more recently Tesco the supermarket. Unfortunately many of the local rail distribution centres have gone, but maybe it's time to reinvent this mode of transportation. 

I had a similar conversation to yours with the owner of a small car workshop. Without prompting, he told me that he had built up his business over 25 years but that he didn't see a future in it. He had persuaded his sons to look elsewhere for work and one was about to start training as a wind turbine maintenance technician. He felt that, in future, fewer people would be able to afford (electric) cars and that more use would be made of public transport, walking and cycling. It was quite a revelation !

I can’t imagine where I’d be without my car. I can’t cycle, or walk any distance, and there are no bus stops near. I would have to Uber, and finances would restrict that a lot. Of course, I do have a daughter living near and she would do what she could. The problem I’d have to overcome is that I’m so very independent-minded and have always hated to ask anyone for help.

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I can’t imagine where I’d be without my car. I can’t cycle, or walk any distance, and there are no bus stops near. I would have to Uber, and finances would restrict that a lot. Of course, I do have a daughter living near and she would do what she could. The problem I’d have to overcome is that I’m so very independent-minded and have always hated to ask anyone for help.

Likewise.

Allan

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My wife and I have discussed this and we concluded that we could  manage without a car. We have a regular bus service within easy walking distance, and access to the rail network via the buses. We use the car for heavy shopping, but we could get the stuff delivered for a fraction of the cost of car ownership or shop more regularly and take the bus. The car is useful to take heavy or awkward  stuff to and from the allotment, but other gardeners manage without, and I could knock together a trailor for the bike. Finally we still have our small caravan, and that does require some horsepower to shift it, but should we wave goodbye to the van, the car might go too. Neither of our sets of parents had a car while we were growing up and life went on, in many ways it was a more pleasant existence, with very little traffic and freedom to roam. I appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different and that people have adapted their lifestyles around car ownership.

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Having a car in NYC is a nightmare. They are only nice for taking a trip to the country. 

Paulette

I can imagine. In Oklahoma City, traffic could get hairy at go to work/coming home times, but seldom was it stop and go like we saw around Los Angles. I just waited to go anywhere until people were at their jobs and it was easy and fast to get around. Same for going town to town.

Apparently, in the UK the traffic is pretty bad on the major roads most times, or am I getting the wrong impression? I would think it might be because of heavier population per square mile, right?

Bryan, once upon a time we had Main Streets in towns much like your High Streets. Same thing. Then the malls came, the big box stores and Walmarts and stores like them that killed Main streets. The. bigger stores moved to anchor the malls, the mom and pop stores lost business, and no longer could we find what we needed within a few blocks of each other on Main Street.

The bad thing is we need a car to get from one big store to another, since they are scattered. And the malls, the same. Miles to get to one.

I don’t know if there is a bus service where I live now. If there is, in 3 1/2 years, I’ve never seen a bus on the streets while I’m driving. I saw them every time I drove in Oklahoma City, and a bus stop was about a block and a half from my house.

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Having a car in NYC is a nightmare. They are only nice for taking a trip to the country. 

Paulette

When our sons lived in  Brooklyn and London respectively neither owned a car, but would rent one if needed. Cars made no sense, with excellent public transport and nowhere to park.   Now that they have moved to the suburbs of smaller UK cities they both own a car, the younger one somewhat reluctantly.

Am currently attempting to purchase fuel from my local Tesco filling station. The nearby roads and A41 roundabout are seized up. Cars queueing are utilising all of the Tesco car park roads, zigzagging backwards and forwards. Motorists patience here in these difficult times is fairly good, only the occasional honking of horns. I suspect many motorists are dreading the fuel running out before they reach the pumps. After fuelling up I’ll park locally, walk back and take a few more photos. Queuing started at 5am and the filling station opened at 6am. Driving around Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire my impression is the fuel chaos is getting worse daily, not better.

Edit: Queuing took almost 1.5 hrs to the minute. At that time none of the pumps had run dry. I gather they usually run out around 2pm. Queues had built up more when I left.

Edited by sb photos

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

Am currently attempting to purchase fuel from my local Tesco filling station. The nearby roads and A41 roundabout are seized up. Cars queueing are utilising all of the Tesco car park roads, zigzagging backwards and forwards. Motorists patience here in these difficult times is fairly good, only the occasional honking of horns. I suspect many motorists are dreading the fuel running out before they reach the pumps. After fuelling up I’ll park locally, walk back and take a few more photos. Queuing started at 5am and the filling station opened at 6am. Driving around Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire my impression is the fuel chaos is getting worse daily, not better.

Edit: Queuing took almost 1.5 hrs to the minute. At that time none of the pumps had run dry. I gather they usually run out around 2pm. Queues had built up more when I left.

Glad you managed to get some at least.  Yesterday we managed to fill up second car at our local BP just got lucky I think.  Today there were the usual queues.  I filled up mine the other week before the madness and it still has 3/4 of a tank in it so not panicking about that one yet😉

Carol

8 hours ago, sb photos said:

My wife filled the car this morning at Sainsbury's, no queuing involved, seems like there is a north south divide here.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

My wife filled the car this morning at Sainsbury's, no queuing involved, seems like there is a north south divide here.

Groceries?

Allan

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

After talking on the phone to my sister who lives near Skipton, it appeared obvious that there certainly is a north south divide relating to the fuel crisis. There will always be patches where there will be exceptions, but it's a fact. My sister was thinking of visiting her children and grandchildren near us in 2 weeks time, but is reconsidering due to potential issues fueling up for the return journey. I can see why there was a recently reported 6% fall in car travel.

On 24/09/2021 at 18:46, MDM said:

Thanks for the good wishes Allan. It is part bad luck but I did put myself in the situation out of necessity so can't complain. And yes a meet-up at some point would be good. Take care.

We haven't heard from you for a while Mick. I hope you're alright and not suffering too much with your second round of Covid ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

We haven't heard from you for a while Mick. I hope you're alright and not suffering too much with your second round of Covid ??

Hadn't realised Mick was not posting so much. Hope he is feeling better and nothing untoward is going on.

Allan

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hadn't realised Mick was not posting so much. Hope he is feeling better and nothing untoward is going on.

Allan

It's been a week or so. There has been queries about Lightroom. He would normally be here in a flash. I always worry about people, even those I don't know.

• Alamy locked this topic