Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Well considering he trawled back three years to find that one, you may not be off the hook yet!


I didn’t trawl. I remembered it very clearly and only gave the link to negate with evidence of  Allan’s assertion that he never told Irish jokes. 

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Possibly but time to finish this I think Allan. . 

 

There is no possibility about it. Yes lets end it now.

 

Allan

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/08/2021 at 02:10, Betty LaRue said:

Results of my MRI bear out what I already knew. When one’s leg has numbness and cramps, it’s pretty obvious. My back pain is caused from pressure on a nerve root.
Next will be getting an appointment with my neurologist, who is booked up far ahead because of getting behind during the last Covid flare. That appt. could be several months from now.

 

 

 

Betty,

Some of my trapped nerve pains were "fixed" with prescribed stretches. I'm sure your Dr's have mentioned it but don't give up on the the simple remedies.

James

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

Betty,

Some of my trapped nerve pains were "fixed" with prescribed stretches. I'm sure your Dr's have mentioned it but don't give up on the the simple remedies.

James

I’ve been doing those things for two years. They worked fair…as in I was able to stand long enough to cook something, and have short trips shopping. But when that short time was used up, and it happened suddenly, I could barely make it to the car. Not only the pain, but my legs didn’t work well. I once looked around to see if I could ask a stranger in the parking lot to help me to my car. Nobody was around. I thought I’d have to sit on the hot blacktop, but knew if I did I’d not be able to get back up. I shuffled like a snail and made it. After that is when I got my handicapped placard.
I had two rounds of physical therapy with assigned exercises at home which I did diligently. All of that was basically putting a band-aid on an infected wound. Made it feel better for a short time, then came crashing back.

I have an inversion table that helps better than all that other stuff, but I still have developed leg cramps and some numbness.

Thank you for your concern and advice, though.

I think all of this was caused by abusing my body. Most of my married life I did very hard man’s work with a woman’s more delicate body, because my husband was too lazy to do it, and I am now paying the price. Also, my own fault, I waterskied, (falling) rode horses, (pounding) played golf (twisting) and snow skied (big-time falls head over heels) None of those pursuits are easy on the body, especially a few spectacular falls I had! 😁 But I lived my life and had fun doing it. I’ve had shoulder surgery, knee surgery and it looks like back surgery is in my future. Drats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During my time in Lincoln today as mentioned in the "good thing" thread I noticed there were some residents in strange dress. When I asked they said it was the time that they usually held the "Steam Punk" rally but it had been called of so they were just putting on a small show for the visitors.

 

Oh! The bad thing? Yes! I did not have a camera with me. First time I have not had a camera with me for years.

 

May try again tomorrow afternoon or on Monday.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

During my time in Lincoln today as mentioned in the "good thing" thread I noticed there were some residents in strange dress. When I asked they said it was the time that they usually held the "Steam Punk" rally but it had been called of so they were just putting on a small show for the visitors.

 

Oh! The bad thing? Yes! I did not have a camera with me. First time I have not had a camera with me for years.

 

May try again tomorrow afternoon or on Monday.

 

Allan

 

Jay Maisel has said "Always carry a camera with you! Without a camera, when you see something interesting, later you have only the option to talk about it and to try to explain how great it was". Tomorrow is tomorrow! 😉

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

During my time in Lincoln today as mentioned in the "good thing" thread I noticed there were some residents in strange dress. When I asked they said it was the time that they usually held the "Steam Punk" rally but it had been called of so they were just putting on a small show for the visitors.

 

Oh! The bad thing? Yes! I did not have a camera with me. First time I have not had a camera with me for years.

 

May try again tomorrow afternoon or on Monday.

 

Allan

 

 

Similar or worse, I was leaving my home town earlier this year, and came across an interesting TU protest by lorry drivers by a junction with busy traffic lights. I managed to park relatively close by, grabbed my RX100 and started shooting. I then noted there was no SD card in the camera, something that had never happened to me before. I have a glut of batteries, so keep a spare Nikon and Sony battery in the car, but no SD cards. I keep a spare 32GB card now. So I didn't look an idiot I 'took' a few more, gave them a thumbs up and left, feeling pi**ed off. Never again. Before I take out my Nikons, I check batteries, SD Card, menu settings I might have changed, auto focus selected, continuous shooting set, VR on lens etc. I wasn't so fussy with the RX100.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, sb photos said:

 

Similar or worse, I was leaving my home town earlier this year, and came across an interesting TU protest by lorry drivers by a junction with busy traffic lights. I managed to park relatively close by, grabbed my RX100 and started shooting. I then noted there was no SD card in the camera, something that had never happened to me before. I have a glut of batteries, so keep a spare Nikon and Sony battery in the car, but no SD cards. I keep a spare 32GB card now. So I didn't look an idiot I 'took' a few more, gave them a thumbs up and left, feeling pi**ed off. Never again. Before I take out my Nikons, I check batteries, SD Card, menu settings I might have changed, auto focus selected, continuous shooting set, VR on lens etc. I wasn't so fussy with the RX100.

Been there, done that, beat myself up. A horrible feeling, especially when I thought I’d shot that rare butterfly. I have never seen another, and it’s been years. Some of the Nikons held a bit of memory. I retrieved a few images for my husband from the internal memory once. I can’t remember the process, but it was tricky. The next time, I’d forgotten how I did it and just shrugged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

Similar or worse, I was leaving my home town earlier this year, and came across an interesting TU protest by lorry drivers by a junction with busy traffic lights. I managed to park relatively close by, grabbed my RX100 and started shooting. I then noted there was no SD card in the camera, something that had never happened to me before. I have a glut of batteries, so keep a spare Nikon and Sony battery in the car, but no SD cards. I keep a spare 32GB card now. So I didn't look an idiot I 'took' a few more, gave them a thumbs up and left, feeling pi**ed off. Never again. Before I take out my Nikons, I check batteries, SD Card, menu settings I might have changed, auto focus selected, continuous shooting set, VR on lens etc. I wasn't so fussy with the RX100.

 

Perhaps I do not shoot enough images but the cards have remained in the cameras since they were put in when I got the them. Still take spares with me though. Batteries in camera are always topped up and carry a couple of spares too. It was deciding NOT to take the camera because of shopping for certain goods that narked me.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Perhaps I do not shoot enough images but the cards have remained in the cameras since they were put in when I got the them. Still take spares with me though. Batteries in camera are always topped up and carry a couple of spares too. It was deciding NOT to take the camera because of shopping for certain goods that narked me.

 

Allan

 

 

Allan, you must use a USB cable to download images. I remove the SD cards and either use the Mac's SD card slot or a USB-C SD card adapter, depending upon what Mac I'm using. I never have problems with the Nikon's, but have been laissez-faire with the RX100 as I don't use it regularly. Usually I will carry the RX100 in a small shoulder 'man bag' with spare card, batteries, masks, sanitiser, glove for use at filling stations and a brolly the collapses really small. On the day in question I just took it in a small ziplock bag, so no backup. We live and learn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

Allan, you must use a USB cable to download images. I remove the SD cards and either use the Mac's SD card slot or a USB-C SD card adapter, depending upon what Mac I'm using. I never have problems with the Nikon's, but have been laissez-faire with the RX100 as I don't use it regularly. Usually I will carry the RX100 in a small shoulder 'man bag' with spare card, batteries, masks, sanitiser, glove for use at filling stations and a brolly the collapses really small. On the day in question I just took it in a small ziplock bag, so no backup. We live and learn.

 

Yes you are correct. I have always, as long as I can remember. used a USB cable. I find that it downloads quickly and never had a problem in downloading that way. Anyone can do it with USB cable so long as Sony cameras are set in MASS STORAGE mode. Probably similar in other makes. I use mac's "Image Capture".

 

Agree we all live and learn.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/08/2021 at 17:22, MDM said:

Not just one time Allan. There was that Irish dry stone wall  "joke". You and others here might consider that as being over-sensitive but I consider so-called Irish jokes (i.e. jokes that depict the Irish people as stupid and ignorant) to be highly offensive, not just to myself (I have nothing to prove anyway in terms of intelligence) but to my fellow countrymen and women. That type of national stereotyping is often harmful in the same way that racial stereotypes are harmful - effectively discrimination. I know people whose lives were made very miserable by that type of stereotyping. It belongs in incinerator of time with the No Blacks, No Irish, No dogs signs of the 50s and 60s.

 

 

Except in that very thread you posted this:

 

Hilarious Allan. Nothing like a bit of harmless national sterotyping for a good laugh B).

 

Just sayin'...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Except in that very thread you posted this:

 

Hilarious Allan. Nothing like a bit of harmless national sterotyping for a good laugh B).

 

Just sayin'...


That is called irony (attempted). Your quote needs the full context. In other words, I don’t think that national stereotyping is harmless, certainly not in the context I was referring to. 

Edited by MDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I went to make a cup of coffee with my V60 this morning only to find the rubber grip handle thing has disappeared. My GF pleads not guilty to moving/hiding/throwing it but I'm not so sure...

 

Is there a ransom note?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2021 at 15:32, Allan Bell said:

 

Yes you are correct. I have always, as long as I can remember. used a USB cable. I find that it downloads quickly and never had a problem in downloading that way. Anyone can do it with USB cable so long as Sony cameras are set in MASS STORAGE mode. Probably similar in other makes. I use mac's "Image Capture".

 

Agree we all live and learn.

 

Allan

 

 

I think that you need to use the very USB cable that Sony supplied, or an exact copy, as generic USB cables don't appear to work. Agree though that this is the most trouble free method for downloading from a card. It has the bonus that, after the download, if you switch off the software connection, the camera's battery will charge through the USB port.

 

The only problem is that my failing eyesight makes inserting the cable into the camera the right way around a bit of a chore.  We've just bought a new smartphone and that uses a USB connection that can be inserted either way up, a big improvement.

 

And, while on the subject of USB connectors and charging, we recently stayed at a B&B where the switched socket incorporated two USB ports. Great idea I thought so I bought such a double socket which claimed to fit into a standard 25 mm deep wall box. No chance, not unless the box is set deep into the wall to give extra clearance for the cables. 

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Bryan said:

inserting the cable into the camera the right way

I put a bit of chinagraph pencil (for black) or magic marker (white) on the top of the plug (where the little spider logo is). Helps a lot. Or a label on a bit of tape with F for front on it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

Is there a ransom note?

Not yet, but there's still time.  She denies moving it, but she has form for 'tidying', after which I never see my 'whatever it is' again.  Not happy today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a conversation with a fellow allotment gardener this evening. Despite having had two jabs, his 76 year old brother had come down with Covid and was seriously ill. It looks like he will survive, but he has required emergency hospital treatment, including being placed in an induced coma. There is a possibility that he may have suffered brain damage due to oxygen starvation. I guess that the positive to take out of this is that he would probably  not have recovered had he not had the vaccine, but it's a wake up call for those of us that thought we were out of trouble. I'll be continuing to wear a mask in enclosed public spaces, and will try to avoid crowds. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I had a conversation with a fellow allotment gardener this evening. Despite having had two jabs, his 76 year old brother had come down with Covid and was seriously ill. It looks like he will survive, but he has required emergency hospital treatment, including being placed in an induced coma. There is a possibility that he may have suffered brain damage due to oxygen starvation. I guess that the positive to take out of this is that he would probably  not have recovered had he not had the vaccine, but it's a wake up call for those of us that thought we were out of trouble. I'll be continuing to wear a mask in enclosed public spaces, and will try to avoid crowds. 

Bryan, I just read a report in our newspaper today that in those people up in years, the antibodies from the vaccine fall sharply in a matter of a couple of months. It seems the older one is, the fewer antibodies that stick around. They were testing people in nursing homes with the average age of 76. That means some younger, some older. It was suggested protection sharply falls off for those over 50 yrs.

It’s like the flu shots over here. The elderly get a “senior” megadose because they don’t make antibodies as well as the younger do. Not sure if there is a similar answer for the Covid vaccine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

I'll be continuing to wear a mask in enclosed public spaces, and will try to avoid crowds. 

So will I, but I do have to keep reminding myself that the mask is unlikely to help me, it's there to protect others. Went in a charity shop yesterday, pretty small though the door was open. surprised that the volunteer at the till wasn't bothering to wear a mask, possibly putting too much faith in the vaccine. On the other hand I can see that wearing a mask all day long in a shop is a different thing to just popping one on every now and again. But then I'm contradicting myself here already, the mask wasn't going to help him I suppose. False sense of security on my part.

 

Any tennis fans out there? Djokovic felt drawn towards his fans as he left the court after his victory over Berretini at the US Open, though initially he indicated that he couldn't get close. They were hysterically screaming in his face at close quarters, no masks, Djokovic famously unvaccinated as far as I know. How does that work?

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.