Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Well I have just tested positive for Covid despite being doubly vaccinated and having had Covid before. I have a fever (which I didn't have the first time), pains In every part of my body and have near zero energy. So far my lungs are ok unlike round 1 when I had serious breathing problems although that could come on I guess as I am only a couple of days into this. I almost certainly got infected while photographing a wedding last Saturday - I had no choice but to fulfil my commitments to my clients even though I was well aware of the danger. 

So why post this on here? Well I am certainly not looking for sympathy.

No this is a direct warning from direct experience to those who are living under the illusion that the pandemic is over, as the great unmasked would have us believe. Yes it is definitely possible to get Covid if doubly vaccinated and it can be bad, very bad. There are those who argue that we have to get back to normal asap and pretend that the case rates are not going through the roof since restrictions in England were lifted (more so with the schools back) and that the UK had an average of 182 daily deaths from Covid over the last week. That is all very well for the 80% who will only experience relatively mild symptoms if anything. However, for the elderly, for those have weakened immune systems or other conditions that make them susceptible to developing serious or severe Covid (including long Covid) getting back to normal life is fraught with danger. 

I am not suggesting we live in permanent lockdown but there has to be a better middle road between that and removing all restrictions which propagates the illusion that all is normal. 

That is devastating news, Michael. I wish you a speedy recovery with no more complications that you were already dealing with. And I hope those dissipate.

You’ve pointed out what we’ve been seeing over here. Not only are fully vaccinated getting Covid, but they are capable of shedding the virus and infecting others. Others being vaccinated and unvaccinated.

Please take care of yourself.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Well I have just tested positive for Covid despite being doubly vaccinated and having had Covid before. I have a fever (which I didn't have the first time), pains In every part of my body and have near zero energy. So far my lungs are ok unlike round 1 when I had serious breathing problems although that could come on I guess as I am only a couple of days into this. I almost certainly got infected while photographing a wedding last Saturday - I had no choice but to fulfil my commitments to my clients even though I was well aware of the danger. 

No this is a direct warning from direct experience to those who are living under the illusion that the pandemic is over, as the great unmasked would have us believe. Yes it is definitely possible to get Covid if doubly vaccinated and it can be bad, very bad. There are those who argue that we have to get back to normal asap and pretend that the case rates are not going through the roof since restrictions in England were lifted (more so with the schools back) and that the UK had an average of 182 daily deaths from Covid over the last week. That is all very well for the 80% who will only experience relatively mild symptoms if anything. However, for the elderly, for those have weakened immune systems or other conditions that make them susceptible to developing serious or severe Covid (including long Covid) getting back to normal life is fraught with danger. 

I am not suggesting we live in permanent lockdown but there has to be a better middle road between that and removing all restrictions which propagates the illusion that all is normal. 

Michael, I am very sorry to read this.  I hope this this time it is not nearly as bad and you recover very quickly!!  So not fair that you got hit up twice.

Michael V

• Love 2

30 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’m very sorry you’re ill. It must be particularly frustrating in light of your first covid illness. Wishing you a rapid recovery. Hopefully your symptoms are now at their worst point and you will soon begin to improve. 

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That is devastating news, Michael. I wish you a speedy recovery with no more complications that you were already dealing with. And I hope those dissipate.

You’ve pointed out what we’ve been seeing over here. Not only are fully vaccinated getting Covid, but they are capable of shedding the virus and infecting others. Others being vaccinated and unvaccinated.

Please take care of yourself.

13 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Michael, I am very sorry to read this.  I hope this this time it is not nearly as bad and you recover very quickly!!  So not fair that you got hit up twice.

Michael V

Thanks for the good wishes Cecile, Betty and Michael. Much appreciated. I am hoping for the best and that the fact I am double-vaccinated will mean it doesn't get too bad. As I said, I was posting my personal experience as an example of the need to stay cautious for all but the good wishes are really uplifting. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Thank you for posting this. I know I am sometimes careless these days and I needed a reality check. I hope you recover quickly and completely.

Paulette

Thanks for the good wishes Paulette. It is difficult to stay safety conscious when others are not. I guess the way to go is to not take unnecessary risks. In my case it was a necessary risk that I was aware of and it didn't pay off. I am even more aware of it now. 

Things going from bad to catastrophic at the moment.

Have a new Nikon Z6 ll. Want to upload images from the camera but I currently have View NX 2 and it seems I have to install View NX-i and the Mac isn't having any of it. Currently running OS X Version 10.9.5 (Mavericks I believe) so I guess that isn't the OS necessary to get the Nikon download. Have tried to upgrade to the latest OS following online instructions but Mac doesn't want to know about that either. All down to my lack of computer savvy, so I guess I'm off to the Apple store to beg for assistance.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

36 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Things going from bad to catastrophic at the moment.

Have a new Nikon Z6 ll. Want to upload images from the camera but I currently have View NX 2 and it seems I have to install View NX-i and the Mac isn't having any of it. Currently running OS X Version 10.9.5 (Mavericks I believe) so I guess that isn't the OS necessary to get the Nikon download. Have tried to upgrade to the latest OS following online instructions but Mac doesn't want to know about that either. All down to my lack of computer savvy, so I guess I'm off to the Apple store to beg for assistance.

Your computer may be too old to upgrade to Big Sur. Just download the DNG converter from Adobe and you should be able to use your existing version of Lightroom. Have you got a card reader (one on your Mac or a separate one) so you can just copy the files to the hard drive?

EDIT -just to add this is not a difficult problem at all and nothing to stress about. Just use a card reader. If you are only using XQD cards then the card readers tend to be more expensive than SD readers but very fast. Use an SD card in backup mode for downloading anyway if you only have an SD reader (a lot of Macs have these) and then use DNG converter.

Edited by MDM

7 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Mdm, well I've given you advice before, so I'll do it again. Get well soon! No really!

Cheers Mr Standfast. Much appreciated. Now let's see if I can get this tired body to take you up on that.🤣🤣

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MDM said:

Your computer may be too old to upgrade to Big Sur. Just download the DNG converter from Adobe and you should be able to use your existing version of Lightroom. Have you got a card reader (one on your Mac or a separate one) so you can just copy the files to the hard drive?

EDIT -just to add this is not a difficult problem at all and nothing to stress about. Just use a card reader. If you are only using XQD cards then the card readers tend to be more expensive than SD readers but very fast. Use an SD card in backup mode for downloading anyway if you only have an SD reader (a lot of Macs have these) and then use DNG converter.

Thanks Michael. I thought I had a cheat by putting the SD card in my D90 and got the images into a folder in View NX 2 but my Lightroom version 5 won't import the images.

I'll try a card reader as you suggest.

23 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Michael. I thought I had a cheat by putting the SD card in my D90 and got the images into a folder in View NX 2 but my Lightroom version 5 won't import the images.

I'll try a card reader as you suggest.

The issue really once you have the images on the computer is that Lightroom 5 is older than the camera, so can't read the Z6II files, but Adobe do provide a solution which is the DNG converter. It will convert the raw images into a format that is readable by LR 5. However, a card reader is a good idea anyway rather than fudging it with the D90. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MDM said:

So very sorry to hear this Michael.  I'm sending you lots of good vibes and pray your symptoms don't get any worse and that you make a very speedy recovery🙏

Carol

• Love 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

MDM, so sorry to hear you've got Covid again. It is so frustrating. Get well soon and keep us posted. All the best.

45 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

So very sorry to hear this Michael.  I'm sending you lots of good vibes and pray your symptoms don't get any worse and that you make a very speedy recovery🙏

Carol

30 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Hope you will be feeling better Michael.  Tough having a double hit. Keep safe.

Jill

Thanks so much for the good wishes Gen, Carol and Jill. Really appreciated. 

Edited by MDM

12 hours ago, MDM said:

Michael, so sorry to have just read you have Covid again. Hoping you pull through OK.

• Love 1

A wake up call Michael, sorry to hear that you are unwell again.  I suspect a difficult winter ahead.  We've been trying to book our flu jabs, but can't get through to the surgery, then there is the Covid booster jab at some point. Unfortunately this might deter me from using public transport when the weather cools and all of the windows are shut.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Bryan said:

A wake up call Michael, sorry to hear that you are unwell again.  I suspect a difficult winter ahead.  We've been trying to book our flu jabs, but can't get through to the surgery, then there is the Covid booster jab at some point. Unfortunately this might deter me from using public transport when the weather cools and all of the windows are shut.

Bryan, my surgery texted me 2 weeks back advising to book a flu jab through a pharmacy. I believe most surgeries are committed to the Covid booster program. In my area attempting to book a flu jab via the recommended NHS site is almost impossible. When I last checked there were only 2 free times 25 miles away. Also the NHS site for Flu jabs showed multiple pharmacies that didn’t even offer them. Not good.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Michael, so sorry to have just read you have Covid again. Hoping you pull through OK.

58 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Steve and Bryan. The good wishes are much appreciated. I am feeling a bit better this morning as the fever seems to have dissipated for now so hoping for the best and that my breathing won't go like the last time with a little help from the vaccines.

I would not travel on public transport unless I had absolutely no choice as I didn't when photographing the wedding. The fact that people are not wearing masks to protect others means that the risk of potentially infectious contact with an infected person is very high unless you travel at times when there are very few others travelling. It really isn't worth the risk particularly for anyone in an at risk category. Aside from the wedding I have been exceptionally careful. 

10 hours ago, MDM said:

The issue really once you have the images on the computer is that Lightroom 5 is older than the camera, so can't read the Z6II files, but Adobe do provide a solution which is the DNG converter. It will convert the raw images into a format that is readable by LR 5. However, a card reader is a good idea anyway rather than fudging it with the D90. 

I'll get stuckinto doing that today. Thanks again Michael and my best wishes to you for an early and full recovery from your illness.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, MDM said:

I am feeling a bit better this morning as the fever seems to have dissipated

Yes, get well soon Michael, I imagine your vaccines combined with some natural immunity from last year will stand you in good stead. I'm sure you were taking every precaution that you could at the wedding but I suspect that the double-vaccinated guests weren't quite so careful, especially after a few drinks. Hard to see how it won't spread from this, or the thousands of similar events around the country.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Thanks Steve and Bryan. The good wishes are much appreciated. I am feeling a bit better this morning as the fever seems to have dissipated for now so hoping for the best and that my breathing won't go like the last time with a little help from the vaccines.

Mick I am late to this thread and see you have had such bad luck to be hit with covid again. I sincerely hope you can fight it off and continue to recover from the first dose.

Hope we can meet up again soon when you are feeling a lot better. Masks at two paces of course for both our benefits.

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Bryan, my surgery texted me 2 weeks back advising to book a flu jab through a pharmacy. I believe most surgeries are committed to the Covid booster program. In my area attempting to book a flu jab via the recommended NHS site is almost impossible. When I last checked there were only 2 free times 25 miles away. Also the NHS site for Flu jabs showed multiple pharmacies that didn’t even offer them. Not good.

My surgery texted me end of August telling me to book a flu jab with them through NHS ap.  I booked it for 11th September which then was the earliest date.  However, I then had a phone call telling me they were short on deliveries and so I had mine at the surgery last Saturday 18th September.  My O/H however, didn't receive a text though he received a letter a few days ago and his jab, also at the surgery is this coming Wednesday.  I thought it very strange as he is older than me and had his Covid jabs sometime before me.  I expect you have already tried Lloyds Pharmacies who I also believe are doing the flu jabs.  Hope you don't have much to wait anyway...

Carol

• Alamy locked this topic