Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

So third time around:

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Foggy brain this morning. The October Challenge appeared near the top of the listing and I was reading and going back a bit I saw that it was the last day of the challenge. I kept looking up at Nov 17 at the top of the page and wondering how it could be the last day on the 17th. Very disorienting. So this is November Ha.!

Paulette

Haha!

Yes that's my fault.

Sorry for the confusion!

I wanted to get the same message in both the October and November challenges.

But after posting the first message in the October Challenge and Allan's reply, I decided to have lunch first.

All has been corrected now.

Albeit after a couple of mishaps here, when I deleted the message by mistake first and then couldn't get the quote back. Still not sure why that was. Another 20 minutes lost to the machines. (some music to go with that - from the Valentyne Suite, which is much better)

wim

Iota's rain has arrived.  Still not over the threshold in the kitchen off  the courtyard.   The weird thing about here is that hurricanes can throw down less water in a short time than some of the flash tropical storms which dump all they have in fifteen minutes to an hour. 

I got my Christmas tree up and decorated a couple of days ago. Nobody much will see it, but looking at the lights is cheerful to me. I store it put together minus decor, and covered.

The bad part was I carried it up from basement storage by myself. It caused me to be breathless, mainly because my heart pounded and skipped beats. That doesn’t bode well for my stress test in the morning when I have to walk an ever-increasing slant on a treadmill, as they periodically increase the speed. I wore a holster monitor for a week a month ago, which showed irregularities. But that’s nothing new, I had a cardiac ablation 19 years ago for the same reason, only much more severe.

It’s been nice knowing y’all. Covering my bases, here. :D

Betty

Yes fingers crossed Betty, get the test out of the way and return to your Xmas tree.

My wife is slightly neurotic about Xmas decorations. I suspect that if we don't get a visit from the grandchildren over Xmas, we won't be putting any up, which is a bit sad.

One advantage of the lockdown is that we are not visiting food stores, either having stuff delivered or doing pick online and collect, so we are spared that evil pre Xmas muzak. Much nearer the time we'll warp out the music for Xmas carols and play the tunes, with a strict cutoff on the 25th. Last year we played carols at our local National Trust property, Washington Old Hall, (ancestral home of George) but that's not going to happen this time around.  I recall an ex work colleague turned up with his family and joined in the singing. Neither of us are remotely religious, but we do enjoy a brief burst of traditional Xmas song.

Whilst on the subject, my favourite carol is "In the Bleak Mid Winter", a very appropriate choice for this year...

Edited by Bryan
can'r spel

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I got my Christmas tree up and decorated a couple of days ago. Nobody much will see it, but looking at the lights is cheerful to me. I store it put together minus decor, and covered.

The bad part was I carried it up from basement storage by myself. It caused me to be breathless, mainly because my heart pounded and skipped beats. That doesn’t bode well for my stress test in the morning when I have to walk an ever-increasing slant on a treadmill, as they periodically increase the speed. I wore a holster monitor for a week a month ago, which showed irregularities. But that’s nothing new, I had a cardiac ablation 19 years ago for the same reason, only much more severe.

It’s been nice knowing y’all. Covering my bases, here. :D

Betty

You no doubt know this already, but those treadmill tests give a lot of false positives. My doctor recommended that I have one a number of years ago. I was overweight at the time, and I set off all the bells and whistles. Consequently, they made me radioactive and did a scan. Turned out everything was 100% OK after all. Best of luck.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

One advantage of the lockdown is that we are not visiting food stores, either having stuff delivered or doing pick online and collect, so we are spared that evil pre Xmas musak.

It’s not xmas until they play ‘Fairytale of New York’ on the radio...

3 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I've never heard "Fairytale of New York" ... and I've lived in NY my entire life. I'll have to find it on Spotify. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

It’s not xmas until they complain about the lyrics to ‘Fairytale of New York’ on the radio...

Sigh...🤐

BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl this Christmas, because its audience may be offended by some of the lyrics.

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality.

It will instead play an edited version with different lyrics sung by MacColl.

But the 1987 original will still be played on Radio 2, while 6 Music DJs can choose between the two versions.”

Give me the original version every time!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

BBC Radio 1 will not play the original version of Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl this Christmas, because its audience may be offended by some of the lyrics.

The station said young listeners were particularly sensitive to derogatory terms for gender and sexuality.

It will instead play an edited version with different lyrics sung by MacColl.

But the 1987 original will still be played on Radio 2, while 6 Music DJs can choose between the two versions.”

Give me the original version every time!! 

I found the original lyrics online and listened to about a quarter of it ...but did not opt for a 30-day free trial of apple music to hear the rest. I definitely have never heard it before. They may be in NY but it's clearly not a NY song. They talk like Brits (and I don't mean the non-PC stuff) just the entire cadence, not to mention "Happy Christmas your arse." Two expressions no American would ever use in just that sentence. 

14 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I found the original lyrics online and listened to about a quarter of it ...but did not opt for a 30-day free trial of apple music to hear the rest. I definitely have never heard it before. They may be in NY but it's clearly not a NY song. They talk like Brits (and I don't mean the non-PC stuff) just the entire cadence, not to mention "Happy Christmas your arse." Two expressions no American would ever use in just that sentence. 

Kirsty MacColl was British, she was the daughter of singer Ewan MacColl. Shane MacGowan is English Irish and is known as the singer in The Pogues. He co wrote the song.

The wikipedia page about the song is interesting reading.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairytale_of_New_York

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:
1 hour ago, Marianne said:

I've never heard "Fairytale of New York" ... and I've lived in NY my entire life. I'll have to find it on Spotify. 

I've lived on earth my entire life and I've never heard it either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

A bit more background. I was never a fan of the Pogues I should say nor anything punk-related. 

The word Pogue is an anglicisation of the Irish word “póg” which means kiss. However, that is only half the story. They were originally called Póg mo Thón (Pogue Mahone) which is a well known and well used Irish expression meaning  “kiss my arse”. 

The Wikipedia link above explains the context and meaning. It is very real life stuff, very powerful, not at all your typical Christmas mush. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Fairytale of New York is the only Christmas song I can listen to... and can listen to it any time. And it always brings a tear to the eye. A whole story in a three-minute song.

Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan are 'in character' - and drunk! - which accounts for the feisty exchanges.

Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God
It's our last...

Well, that sums up my feelings about Christmas! Ho ho ho...

• Love 3

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

You learn something new every day! I’d never heard the song before either. Now I’ll have it as an “ear worm” for the next several hours! 😀

It’s definitely an ear worm. Usually affects people from mid November through to the new year!! 

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Fairytale of New York is the only Christmas song I can listen to... and can listen to it any time. And it always brings a tear to the eye. A whole story in a three-minute song.

Interesting facts:

The chorus of the song includes the line "The boys of the NYPD choir still singing 'Galway Bay'". In reality, the NYPD does not have a choir. So the Pipes and Drums of the NYPD's Emerald Society  are featured in the video for the song. They did not know "Galway Bay" and so sang a song that all of them knew the words to – the "Mickey Mouse March", the theme tune for The Mickey Mouse Club television series.The footage was then slowed down and shown in brief sections to disguise the fact the Pipes and Drums were singing a different song. 

• Alamy locked this topic