Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

That's what happened on Mulberry Street—fumes and then a spark. Boom. 😲

Everyday in my Liverpool building something new goes wrong. That's everyday. Today there's was no hot water, the elevators are out of order, and they have added a second entrance. The hot water is back. I've stopped trying to call and inquire or complain. I just roll with things and hope not to pick up the virus. Meanwhile, back in America. . . . 🥵

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

There really shouldn't be one- are you going to pass your next MoT?

The manufacturers manual states that every so many miles the driver should rev the engine hard or run it at same road speed in a lower gear than usual to clear the catalytic converter out.

That is what I was actually doing and it does create a blue haze. Quite off-putting for those following me so I usually do it when no one is behind me.

To answer your question, yes, it will pass the next MOT and quite a few more in the future too.😀

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's what happened on Mulberry Street—fumes and then a spark. Boom. 😲

Everyday in my Liverpool building something new goes wrong. That's everyday. Today there's was no hot water, the elevators are out of order, and they have added a second entrance. The hot water is back. I've stopped trying to call and inquire or complain. I just roll with things and hope not to pick up the virus. Meanwhile, back in America. . . . 🥵

Are you thinking that you should not have left the states now Edo?

I could quite understand it because you seem to be having a lot more difficulties since leaving than you ever mentioned when you were there.

Allan

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

With petrol at £1.20/litre, definitely!

I love that road! We both come down the dips saying "Wheeeee!" like two-year-olds.

Pays to gan canny Mark 

"Two North East roads have been ranked among the most dangerous in Britain, a new interactive map reveals.

Research conducted by Regtransfers.co.uk shows the routes across the country where you are most likely to be involved in an accident.

It found the A193, which runs between Newcastle and Bedlington, had an accident rate of 2.53 per 1 million vehicle-miles driven.

And the A68, which links Northumberland and Edinburgh, made the country’s top 50 accident blackspots with a rate of 2.7."

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Are you thinking that you should not have left the states now Edo?

I could quite understand it because you seem to be having a lot more difficulties since leaving than you ever mentioned when you were there.

Allan

Nope. Just bitching like everyone else. It's the new normal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm sure you miss NYC, but you're on the right side of the Atlantic.😧

Give it a few weeks and then a few months. The times they are a-changin'.

Edited by MDM

9 hours ago, MDM said:

Give it a few weeks and then a few months. The times they are a-changin'.

Hey! Bandit, how's it going with you?

Allan (ITMA)

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Pays to gan canny Mark 

Do folks 'gan canny' when they 'gan on the hoy?' Me oh my. I was hoping not to have to learn another language. I can say hello and thank you in 47 tongues but little else in most of them. 

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Do folks 'gan canny' when they 'gan on the hoy?' Me oh my. I was hoping not to have to learn another language. I can say hello and thank you in 47 tongues but little else in most of them. 

Thank you is the most important phrase in any language.

Allan

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

In my view it's a shame that these regional dialects are fading away Edo. 

It's a matter of personal taste, but two of my favourites are Lancastrian and Northumbrian. They are both soft and friendly, easy on the ear, if occasionally hard on the brain. We lived for a while in Wigan and grew to appreciate the local patois. Happily our younger son's partner is from that part of the world and speaks a diluted form of the lingo. I guess that our grandson will pick up some of it. 

My wife's uncle came from deepest Northumberland and I recall he had two ways of saying water, dependent upon temperature. It would be het wettor or cauld wattor!

I hear you, Bryan. 

Back in the '80s my mate was from Northumbria. She normally spoke with a soft Oxbridge accent, but I heard the local dialect when she talked to her uncle just north of Newcastle. She was awarded the Queen's highest sword tap for work she did. She was a great person.  

I remember in Sunderland I would say "Pass the bu'a please."  Dad would say "It is butter."  I repeated "Butter."  Dad said "That's Be'a."

Allan

• Love 1

I think I may have to avoid Washington Square Park altogether these days... not to mention many streets on the way from the Village to Soho. Really bad day today. I went down there 10:30 am and came back 2:30 pm. Sightings included... one guy barely on his feet high on something. At least his eyes were closed and he wasn't on the move. Then a beggar came into a deli while I was buying a banana. I saw two more beggars and two definitely crazy guys.. one was shadowboxing with a lamppost. The east side of the park is pretty OK but now the west side --- even along the edge and the corner with the chessboard tables is full of sketchy characters. Sad. I know I am not "politically correct" calling these guys beggars but I'm feeling out of sorts about what is happening to my city.

Paulette

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Back in the '80s my mate was from Northumbria. She normally spoke with a soft Oxbridge accent, but I heard the local dialect when she talked to her uncle just north of Newcastle. She was awarded the Queen's highest sword tap for work she did. She was a great person.  

Are you not going to reveal who this mysterious person is Edo ?

13 hours ago, geogphotos said:

May I introduce you all to the local Suffolk accent near to me as shown by Brian from Melton.

https://nicholaspandolfi.co.uk/radio-brian-from-melton/

🙂 Dialect but easily understood.

I have encountered people in the UK who are completely incomprehensible to my ears.  I was once cycling in Scotland and asked directions of a man. He helpfully obliged.  Fortunately he also pointed the way to go, as I had no idea at all what he had said. 

Allan - Re Sunderland - I was cycling home from work one day when I came across a man holding a large bird - as you do. I asked him what type of bird it was and he said Arisarc  I nodded politely and cycled on, only later realising that he was saying Harris Hawk A bit like the French,  some folk around here don't sound  the H.

Edited by Bryan

UK clocks have gone back an hour as summertime ended. The only problem being that cats do not realise. After a busy day then a late night yesterday our cat Brán woke me up just after 5am. Sometimes I would welcome it, but not today.

4 minutes ago, Sally R said:

A number of years ago I was housesitting for a woman with a very elderly cat. From memory he was an amazing age, something like 29 years I think. He also woke me at 5am with the loudest, most torturous sounding meow as he was deaf and had no idea how loud he was. He was loveable though and I remember it was a cold winter and we would both lounge in front of the heater to keep warm. If I did some yoga stretches he would too. He was a great character.

My mother-in-law once house sat (?) for a lady with a cat. As bad luck would have it, one day she heard a very loud Meow and the cat dropped dead.

2 minutes ago, Sally R said:

That sounds like a black comedy! My biggest fear was that the elderly cat I was looking after might die under my watch before his owner returned. On the second day he went off his food and I got quite worried. I told the owner over the phone about it and she said she had forgotten to tell me that that is normal for him and that he loses interest in food about every second day. Phew!

Ah that reminds me of another story. I was cat sitting for a friend. The cat used to be a stray cat that ventured into my friend's house and he adopted it. The cat became completely obsessed with him. Anyway, he left me with a provision of salmon cat food tins. On the first day, I opened one. The cat looked at it in disgust and walked away. On the third day, he still hadn't eaten. Upon his return, my friend told me 'I forgot to tell you, he's not fussy or anything [obviously not!! Come on, salmon!!] but he doesn't like one brand I bought for him.

• Alamy locked this topic