Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I managed to cut a finger last night while cooking (need to review my knife skills).  I thought I had it wrapped well but woke up in the night with a hand and sheets wet with blood, not a good scene.  So first thing this morning, I headed off to my medical provider and they fixed me up.  My daughter came over after her night shift at the hospital and has spent the day with me.  Perhaps feeling sorry for myself, I decided to take the day “off” and just take it easy and enjoy my time with her.

I’ve only cut myself badly once, while slicing a ham. That was because my knife was dull and I had to press too hard...didn’t have a finger out of the way. I could see bone shining. I did fine, but hubby turned white and had to lie down in a cold sweat before he passed out.

A few nicks here and there. Being left handed, I seem to appear awkward with a knife to my righty family. They shudder every time I pick up one. They’ll never forget that darned ham.

I hope you heal well, Michael. We all fail some time or another in getting out of the way of ourselves.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bella said:

😆 Don’t get too carried away Ed, I’m thinking I might need to add some new bits and parts 😉

I shall not ask what those might be. But remember that Bella means beautiful in Italian, so stay with the theme. 🙂

Yes, Michael—stay well and be more careful. I worry about having to seek medical help for something other than the virus.

In NYC I had a great set of knives that I kept sharpened. Since I have essential tremor, I'm extra careful cutting. I have no place to cut or do any dry preps in this flat. Here's my 4th knife after the smaller paring, the 10" chef's, and the bread knife.

.J4YYDK.jpg

• Like 1

Went to the servo yesterday. Aussie term for petrol station. Headed for the truck diesel bowser in full sun. Picked up the handle Ouch!! Burning hot. Grit my teeth and start pouring. Smoke is coming out of the pump. What?? The more I pour, the more smoke comes out. I'm now in a cloud.  Mind gets into overdrive. Searing hot handle, smoke, is this thing about to blow us up to the moon? Quickly put it back, close the cap, ready to drive the hell out of there. OH rushes to servo to tell staff. 'Oh yeah, we're low on fuel, that's why'. Never heard of it. 

• Like 1
On 18/10/2020 at 06:31, gvallee said:

Went to the servo yesterday. Aussie term for petrol station. Headed for the truck diesel bowser in full sun. Picked up the handle Ouch!! Burning hot. Grit my teeth and start pouring. Smoke is coming out of the pump. What?? The more I pour, the more smoke comes out. I'm now in a cloud.  Mind gets into overdrive. Searing hot handle, smoke, is this thing about to blow us up to the moon? Quickly put it back, close the cap, ready to drive the hell out of there. OH rushes to servo to tell staff. 'Oh yeah, we're low on fuel, that's why'. Never heard of it. 

Never heard of it either but I reckon I’ve nearly had third degree burns from my steering wheel some days 😉

• Haha 1
On 17/10/2020 at 18:27, Ed Rooney said:

I shall not ask what those might be. But remember that Bella means beautiful in Italian, so stay with the theme. 🙂

Nothing too exciting Ed, just thought I’m getting close to the age where we start replacing hips, knees, etc. 😬

• Upvote 1
On 17/10/2020 at 21:31, gvallee said:

Scary !  Nice to see a bit of sunshine though, it's raining here - again.

I drove into a service station yesterday to find that they had removed the pumps from the lane I'd chosen. Had to reverse out against the traffic. Bollards would have been good.

It transpires that they are installing new pumps that will deliver a precise amount of fuel that you specify, e.g. £20 worth. Given that I generally just fill the tank, this seems to me to be a solution looking for a problem. The new pumps allow you to pay at the pump which is good with virus about, but I had a voucher giving me bonus points on the purchase and I couldn't see any means of using it, so I paid at the desk. Such is progress.

Edited by Bryan

Not really bad but... OH and I are sitting outside our mobile home having dinner. Let's the camera move back and show you the scene. We are in Birdsville, population 115, right in the middle of the Red Centre, i.e. the desert. The place is as flat as a pancake and we are the only ones there. A police car pulls over and the young officer asks us 'are you Rob and Gen ???? Now this is weird. They were just checking on Covid as Birdsville is near a State border but in  no official document am I called Gen. I wonder what their source was. Lovely chap by the way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
14 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Not really bad but... OH and I are sitting outside our mobile home having dinner. Let's the camera move back and show you the scene. We are in Birdsville, population 115, right in the middle of the Red Centre, i.e. the desert. The place is as flat as a pancake and we are the only ones there. A police car pulls over and the young officer asks us 'are you Rob and Gen ???? Now this is weird. They were just checking on Covid as Birdsville is near a State border but in  no official document am I called Gen. I wonder what their source was. Lovely chap by the way.

Is probably an Alamy contributor or more likely seen you on facebook. May even be a follower.

Allan

13 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Is probably an Alamy contributor or more likely seen you on facebook. May even be a follower.

Allan

The tow truck?

wim

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Bryan said:

pumps that will deliver a precise amount of fuel that you specify, e.g. £20 worth

That is the standard here in QC - when you go to fill up you are presented with an array of choices $20, $50, $75, $100. Its probably a hang over from when people paid in cash, but now almost everyone pays with plastic so its pretty redundant technology. If you are paying with a card do you really care if you put in $49.96 instead of $50. Its a Quebec mystery, not quite as profound as Moving Day but still a mystery.

Not today, but about a week ago I had cause to drive along the A68 road in the direction of Scotland.

Becoming long in the tooth I am tending to lose a bit of confidence when driving.  I've seen so many near misses over the years and recently had a car crash into me for no apparent reason, so I am now even more cautious.  Whatever, this road contains a series of blind summits that must have claimed the life of many a motorist or more particularly motorcyclist, to the extent that, at the brow of every hill, there are bold horizontal lines across the carriageway and large signs saying Slow Down.  Now, driving a hire car in which I appear to be just a few millimetres off the ground - our normal transport is a durable Yeti - I found these summits to be scary.  One moment you are staring into space without any idea where the road is heading, and the next you are plunging down.

Then along comes some eejit white van man child who sits on my boot.  I was very glad to turn off onto a quiet lane.

35 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Then along comes some eejit white van man child who sits on my boot.

I had one of them yesterday on my way back from hospital. Wasn't just on my boot but was in it, or so it seemed. In my youth when I was driving with my uncle as passenger on time another idiot came on to my boot. Unc said he is trying to push you along but if you gradually go slower and slower he might get the message. I have practiced that the rest of my driving career. It works quite often but yesterday he would not back off so after slowing for a sharp bend, and checking the road was clear in front, I put my foot down and left him way behind in a haze of blue smoke. Diesels are good at putting out a smoke screen when it is needed.

Allan

9 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

That is the standard here in QC - when you go to fill up you are presented with an array of choices $20, $50, $75, $100. Its probably a hang over from when people paid in cash, but now almost everyone pays with plastic so its pretty redundant technology. If you are paying with a card do you really care if you put in $49.96 instead of $50. Its a Quebec mystery, not quite as profound as Moving Day but still a mystery.

With petrol at £1.20/litre, definitely!

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not today, but about a week ago I had cause to drive along the A68 road in the direction of Scotland.

Becoming long in the tooth I am tending to lose a bit of confidence when driving.  I've seen so many near misses over the years and recently had a car crash into me for no apparent reason, so I am now even more cautious.  Whatever, this road contains a series of blind summits that must have claimed the life of many a motorist or more particularly motorcyclist, to the extent that, at the brow of every hill, there are bold horizontal lines across the carriageway and large signs saying Slow Down.  Now, driving a hire car in which I appear to be just a few millimetres off the ground - our normal transport is a durable Yeti - I found these summits to be scary.  One moment you are staring into space without any idea where the road is heading, and the next you are plunging down.

Then along comes some eejit white van man child who sits on my boot.  I was very glad to turn off onto a quiet lane.

I love that road! We both come down the dips saying "Wheeeee!" like two-year-olds.

That's what happened on Mulberry Street—fumes and then a spark. Boom. 😲

Everyday in my Liverpool building something new goes wrong. That's everyday. Today there's was no hot water, the elevators are out of order, and they have added a second entrance. The hot water is back. I've stopped trying to call and inquire or complain. I just roll with things and hope not to pick up the virus. Meanwhile, back in America. . . . 🥵

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

There really shouldn't be one- are you going to pass your next MoT?

The manufacturers manual states that every so many miles the driver should rev the engine hard or run it at same road speed in a lower gear than usual to clear the catalytic converter out.

That is what I was actually doing and it does create a blue haze. Quite off-putting for those following me so I usually do it when no one is behind me.

To answer your question, yes, it will pass the next MOT and quite a few more in the future too.😀

Allan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's what happened on Mulberry Street—fumes and then a spark. Boom. 😲

Everyday in my Liverpool building something new goes wrong. That's everyday. Today there's was no hot water, the elevators are out of order, and they have added a second entrance. The hot water is back. I've stopped trying to call and inquire or complain. I just roll with things and hope not to pick up the virus. Meanwhile, back in America. . . . 🥵

Are you thinking that you should not have left the states now Edo?

I could quite understand it because you seem to be having a lot more difficulties since leaving than you ever mentioned when you were there.

Allan

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

With petrol at £1.20/litre, definitely!

I love that road! We both come down the dips saying "Wheeeee!" like two-year-olds.

Pays to gan canny Mark 

"Two North East roads have been ranked among the most dangerous in Britain, a new interactive map reveals.

Research conducted by Regtransfers.co.uk shows the routes across the country where you are most likely to be involved in an accident.

It found the A193, which runs between Newcastle and Bedlington, had an accident rate of 2.53 per 1 million vehicle-miles driven.

And the A68, which links Northumberland and Edinburgh, made the country’s top 50 accident blackspots with a rate of 2.7."

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Are you thinking that you should not have left the states now Edo?

I could quite understand it because you seem to be having a lot more difficulties since leaving than you ever mentioned when you were there.

Allan

Nope. Just bitching like everyone else. It's the new normal. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm sure you miss NYC, but you're on the right side of the Atlantic.😧

Give it a few weeks and then a few months. The times they are a-changin'.

Edited by MDM
9 hours ago, MDM said:

Give it a few weeks and then a few months. The times they are a-changin'.

Hey! Bandit, how's it going with you?

Allan (ITMA)

33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hey! Bandit, how's it going with you?

Allan (ITMA)

More bandage than bandit I'm afraid Allan. 😀

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1