Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

6 minutes ago, gvallee said:

We've actually taken off a few times on those roads, but that's because of potholes and bulldust holes.

Potholes! Ah, yes. You mean upside down bumps.🤨

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Looking into these myself, I've got hold of a s/h 6 speed Maillard Compact in good condition which is the same width as a 5-speed. Would this Sunrace 14-28 not work for you, it's certainly cheap enough? There are quite a few new Shimano 6-speeds on ebay. Maybe you're looking for a wider range though.

Thanks Harry, you are correct there are some freewheels available - indeed I have a new one fitted, but the range is limited.  The original was a 6 speed 13-32.

Edited by Bryan

We've had some serious rain here for several days.   My central courtyard overflowed into the kitchen and study yesterday.  Darkish, so nothing for Alamy, though if it happens again, I will pull out the lights.   Posted some photos to FaceBook.  Streets were running like creeks and cars going through were making things messier.   South of my house, a house lost a wall, but I didn't go there to photograph.   Some parts of town were flooded over the night between day before yesterday and yesterday, so I had two people post to see if I had been affected.

Last night was the first time in a while that I had water coming into the house, but with cement tiles, a wet/dry vacuum does a reasonable job, and the tiles are not slippery even with standing water.  Haven't checked some gear that is in the kitchen (stands and modifiers), but most of the gear is in the upstairs room over the kitchen or in cabinets off the floor.  Gear  stored in the kitchen appears to be okay (big modifier in a bag, tripod in a bag, umbrella wrapped in a yoga mat, monopod).

This morning, I drilled holes in a terracotta pot that wasn't draining.   I lost an early rosemary to root rot in a plastic pot that caught roof run off, so may repot this one to a looser mix in a pot with more drainage holes. 

Other had worse problems.   I've had this happen once before in this house several years ago.   Generally, the solution is use the wet/dry function on the floor machine to get as much water up as possible and just let things dry.   If we get downpours again with the ground this saturated, I may get a better chance to take photos with less movement blur and noise. 

My cat that likes to be entertained at night was in and out of my bedroom.  The other cat stayed in the front part of the house on the other side of the courtyard and knocked things on the floor, then joined us in the back when I let the dog out in around 4 a.m. or something.

It could have been worse. 

• Sad 1

Looks like I'l have to say toodaloo to my trip to Chester Zoo. The weather looks uninviting, and the new restrictions that will be announced Monday, Oct 12, might not make the train ride possible. 

• Sad 2
On 09/10/2020 at 08:47, Bryan said:

Getting parts is becoming difficult though. I can't get a decent quality wide range freewheel to fit to the mavic hub on my aged Nigel Dean tourer. I tried a couple of pricy freewheels imported from the States, but the ratchets in both of them failed after hardly any use. This persuaded me to buy a new tourer for my 65th birthday, not the most reliable of machines......

Even 7 speed cassettes are an endangered species. I managed to buy one from Spa cycles for my wife's 20 year old Orbit tourer, but, ominously, they were offered at a bargain price, so probably end of line. Should perhaps have bought two 🙃

That is a worry. But the bike isn't going to get the use it used to years ago - I regularly did the annual London to Brighton ride, then cycled back to Aylesbury the next day. Also cycled 11 miles into work, then back for some years in all weather. Weekends a group of us would go on a 50 - 60 mile ride to a pub in the countryside regularly. I'm not up to that now.

Edited by sb photos
9 hours ago, sb photos said:

That is a worry. But the bike isn't going to get the use it used to years ago - I regularly did the annual London to Brighton ride, then cycled back to Aylesbury the next day. Also cycled 11 miles into work, then back for some years in all weather. Weekends a group of us would go on a 50 - 60 mile ride to a pub in the countryside regularly. I'm not up to that now.

Yes Steve I recall riding with our local  CTC group on weekend trips, but 30 years ago the roads were a good deal quieter and less dangerous than now. They also arranged cycling holidays and we enjoyed a couple of trips to France and another to Poland, but all good things come to an end. However those trips gave my wife and I confidence to make our annual holidays bike tours in Europe, where the standard of dedicated cycling infrastructure is so much better than in the UK, and the motorists generally more understanding. 

Thanks to the activities of Sustrans and some enlightened councils, things are slowly improving here, but there is a long way to go.

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Looks like I'l have to say toodaloo to my trip to Chester Zoo. The weather looks uninviting, and the new restrictions that will be announced Monday, Oct 12, might not make the train ride possible. 

Did you ever take the ferry over to Birkenhead Edo? There is a fine public  park and, at this time of year, you should capture some autumn colour. It claims to be the world’s first publicly funded park. I can't remember the distance from the ferry landing to the park, but it's not a very large town. 

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes Steve I recall riding with our local  CTC group on weekend trips, but 30 years ago the roads were a good deal quieter and less dangerous than now.

Yes, I too went on a few CTC rides. For day rides we used to meet early on a Sunday morning under the town hall arches. They would stop for lunch, sometimes at a cafe. We named our non CTC rides the pint and pedal club runs, often picking a real ale pub by a river. We never drank too much. 

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Did you ever take the ferry over to Birkenhead Edo? There is a fine public  park and, at this time of year, you should capture some autumn colour. It claims to be the world’s first publicly funded park. I can't remember the distance from the ferry landing to the park, but it's not a very large town. 

Oddly, I've not yet made the ferry ride across the Mersey. I am planning to do that and venture into some of the outer areas of Liverpool. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

The wine has turned disturbingly brownish overnight after I racked it. Hope a Campden tablet followed by premature bottling saves it, otherwise we will have the wine vinegar we couldn't get from France this year. The beer is doing better.

We ran out of bread with a delivery due the following day.

I was instructed to make some.

Armed with some out of date yeast and old packets of flour, a mix of good for you nutty grainy stuff and plain white  (not to mention a recipe for a Greggs stotty) I set to work.

The yeast was past it and the bread didn't rise.

Nevertheless it went into the oven for the regulation time and temp (15 minutes at gas mark 7). It came our looking brownish on the outside but it was pretty dense and uncooked in the centre. Cut it into quarters and back into the oven for another 10 minutes at gas mark 5. Came out very, nay extremely, dense - but edible. 

I've actually developed a bit of a taste for the stuff but the boss wasn't impressed. Never fear we are expecting a delivery later this afternoon  - including some fresh yeast.

21 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We ran out of bread with a delivery due the following day.

I was instructed to make some.

Armed with some out of date yeast and old packets of flour, a mix of good for you nutty grainy stuff and plain white  (not to mention a recipe for a Greggs stotty) I set to work.

The yeast was past it and the bread didn't rise.

Nevertheless it went into the oven for the regulation time and temp (15 minutes at gas mark 7). It came our looking brownish on the outside but it was pretty dense and uncooked in the centre. Cut it into quarters and back into the oven for another 10 minutes at gas mark 5. Came out very, nay extremely, dense - but edible. 

I've actually developed a bit of a taste for the stuff but the boss wasn't impressed. Never fear we are expecting a delivery later this afternoon  - including some fresh yeast.

If you're sticking with the bread-making may I recommend a sourdough starter. We've had one on the go since you-know-when and it does very well for the weekly pizza as well. Though I have mostly given up on the wholemeal flour as it doesn't rise well even with good yeast.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If you're sticking with the bread-making may I recommend a sourdough starter. We've had one on the go since you-know-when and it does very well for the weekly pizza as well. Though I have mostly given up on the wholemeal flour as it doesn't rise well even with good yeast.

Not sure that we will be persisting with home made bread - I used to make a lot of pizza when the kids were at home, but these days we idly buy the occasional pizza. 

However the sour dough starter idea is interesting thanks, and not something that I had previously encountered. My wife is slightly addicted to stotty cakes and I do have the genuine Greggs recipe - it's published in his book - so there may be further developments.

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

However the sour dough starter idea is interesting thanks, and not something that I had previously encountered. My wife is slightly addicted to stotty cakes and I do have the genuine Greggs recipe - it's published in his book - so there may be further developments.

Had to look up stotty cake but I will definitely be giving that a go! Now that we’re into home made veggie soups season they would go well together.

Edited by Thyrsis
12 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Had to look up stotty cake but I will definitely be giving that a go! Now that we’re into home made veggie soups season they would go well together.

Confess that it's not my favourite, but Ok for a change from multigrain bread. 

Our younger son worked for a while in a London office with people from around the world. They had the pleasant custom of bringing samples of their indigenous foodstuffs for all to try on a Friday afternoon. When his turn came our lad took stotty, pease pudding and ham, which, apparently, went down well with most of his colleagues.

A stottie, or stotty, cake (or oven bottom cake) isolated on a white background, north east England, UK Stock Photo

If you want to maintain the flat top you need to make a hole in the centre.

Edited by Bryan

Bad thing - had a tonsil removed a week ago and the pain is still pretty bad before meds kick in each morning.

Good thing - because of the risk of bleeding I get to take it easy in the city for two weeks! Doctor’s orders!

Another bad thing - can’t get motivated to process and upload... hopefully will find some motivation soon.

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not sure that we will be persisting with home made bread - I used to make a lot of pizza when the kids were at home, but these days we idly buy the occasional pizza. 

We started out of necessity and I still bake a loaf every couple of weeks. The trick is not to knead too much. A few minutes is fine and just a couple of folds after the first rise. Then I just plonk it on a tray and take a chance with the shape. Or a Creuset pot if you prefer more of a bloomer shape. Delicious. It disappears much quicker than a commercial loaf.

Edited by spacecadet
10 hours ago, Bella said:

Bad thing - had a tonsil removed a week ago and the pain is still pretty bad before meds kick in each morning.

Good thing - because of the risk of bleeding I get to take it easy in the city for two weeks! Doctor’s orders!

Another bad thing - can’t get motivated to process and upload... hopefully will find some motivation soon.

On ice-cream diet?

Allan

12 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

On ice-cream diet?

Allan

Pretty much Allan, that, yoghurt and soup ;)

A good thing is there is plenty of time for photography.

• Upvote 1

I had my tonsils out so long ago, in the early part of the last century. My gallbladder is gone too. I'm looking to rid myself of some other troublesome bits and parts. 

The building where I rent my studio flat continues to give me trouble daily. Today the elevator is out of order again and they were making changes in the lobby so we had to use the inconvenient back door. Last night the fire alarm went off again; the 22nd false alarm in the past year. And last night there was no WiFi. Grrrrrr

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

I managed to cut a finger last night while cooking (need to review my knife skills).  I thought I had it wrapped well but woke up in the night with a hand and sheets wet with blood, not a good scene.  So first thing this morning, I headed off to my medical provider and they fixed me up.  My daughter came over after her night shift at the hospital and has spent the day with me.  Perhaps feeling sorry for myself, I decided to take the day “off” and just take it easy and enjoy my time with her.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I had my tonsils out so long ago, in the early part of the last century. My gallbladder is gone too. I'm looking to rid myself of some other troublesome bits and parts. 

😆 Don’t get too carried away Ed, I’m thinking I might need to add some new bits and parts 😉

On 18/07/2020 at 06:36, John Morrison said:

Boris suggests we'll be back to normal by Christmas; I think we'll be back to somehwhere near normality when we have developed a vaccine that's both effective and safe. Than may be a year, or two, or five... or more...

Russians now have two candidate vaccines out, and the Chinese have two or three.   The Russians apparently shared information with Lancelet and the Sputnik vaccine appears to be safe, but efficacy isn't known.  Not much of this makes it into US media (I asked US friends who do follow media intently and they reported that they hadn't seen anything) but the BBC World TV channel covered some of this recently.

One of the problems is fatigue -- and people stop wearing masks unless someone close to them dies or is seriously ill.  The other thing is not everyone has the same experience with the disease and the survivors are noisier than those who don't survive or who have Long Covid symptoms.