Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

17 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

You can get a new battery fitted at reasonable cost via most independent phone stores selling SH phones. The good ones will ask if you want an original or generic battery.

Allan

Thanks Alan.

My phone contract provider claimed it wasn't possible to get batteries replaced. Just a scam I guess to get me to upgrade and renew my contract. Think I'll be dumping them any time soon.

Have enquired and found that Apple shops can fit a replacement too. A bit pricy though at £50 each so I'll shop around the independents.

4 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Eddie Van Halen died! That's crap.

A bit soon to go at 65 years only.

Allan

1 minute ago, David McGill said:

I'm afraid so!

Bummer.

Allan

2 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Oh bad luck. All over the ROW as well. Rain presumably?

Yes, probably after all the rain we had at the weekend after the dry summer. A disadvantage to living in an old house with a dry stone wall!

Just now, David McGill said:

Yes, probably after all the rain we had at the weekend after the dry summer. A disadvantage to living in an old house with a dry stone wall!

You'll be needing your DACS cheque then. With knobs on.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

A bit soon to go at 65 years only.

The lifestyle of a globally successful touring musician is not always linked to a long life. A fun one, but not always long. In the words of the much-missed Christopher Hitchens - if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken more care of myself.

Edited by Colin Woods
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken more care of myself.

I can relate to that. 🤣

MOT and service today after taking over my wife's previously trouble free car. Got hit for a larger bill than expected, additionally 2 front tyres and replacement of a leaking water pump. My daughter in Bristol also had a service and MOT today. She knew the car had issues, but was surprised with a potential £800 bill. To add to this, parts required will take a week to arrive and fit. My car was dropped off at 8:00 this morning and was picked up around 1:30 this afternoon. My old Holdsworthy touring bike is far more economical for me to maintain.

4 hours ago, David McGill said:

I'm afraid so!

Will your house insurance cover it? 

PS. If so make sure there is no mention of subsidence as the cause.

Edited by Thyrsis

Took a short trip into the Forest of Dean to see if the Autumn colours had arrived, not quite there yet, but close. Caught a stone chip on the windscreen on the way back, quite distracting watching the crack get bigger and bigger! 

Paperwork from the insurance company has arrived.

Job Billing Corporate Name Corporate Type Net Amount VAT Amount Total Amount GENERIC MOTORIST GENERIC MOTORIST £75.0 £0.0 £75.0

Formating did not survice cut and paste, but apparently I am a GENERIC MOTORIST.

Sigh...

Edited by Mr Standfast
events...
12 hours ago, sb photos said:

MOT and service today after taking over my wife's previously trouble free car. Got hit for a larger bill than expected, additionally 2 front tyres and replacement of a leaking water pump. My daughter in Bristol also had a service and MOT today. She knew the car had issues, but was surprised with a potential £800 bill. To add to this, parts required will take a week to arrive and fit. My car was dropped off at 8:00 this morning and was picked up around 1:30 this afternoon. My old Holdsworthy touring bike is far more economical for me to maintain.

I was supposed to have a service and MOT today but the doctor has postponed it.🤨

Allan

No worries Edo, as I always say, there is always a silver lining to everything.

My situation, which, depending on how I look at it, I could have posted in either thread, good or bad thing that happened to me:

Vehicle still  broken down - bad (or is it?)

Had the diagnostic today, faulty injector - good re. having a diagnostic, bad re. the fault

Injector will have to be flown from somewhere and will take 4 days - good I needed plenty of time to catch up on my editing for Alamy

Cost - very bad (in addition to towing costs) Will have to make looootttss of Alamy sales to pay for it. Won't happen in my lifetime.

So it all depends how you look at things. It could be much much worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
On 07/10/2020 at 20:46, sb photos said:

My old Holdsworthy touring bike is far more economical for me to maintain.

Getting parts is becoming difficult though. I can't get a decent quality wide range freewheel to fit to the mavic hub on my aged Nigel Dean tourer. I tried a couple of pricy freewheels imported from the States, but the ratchets in both of them failed after hardly any use. This persuaded me to buy a new tourer for my 65th birthday, not the most reliable of machines......

Even 7 speed cassettes are an endangered species. I managed to buy one from Spa cycles for my wife's 20 year old Orbit tourer, but, ominously, they were offered at a bargain price, so probably end of line. Should perhaps have bought two 🙃

22 hours ago, gvallee said:

No worries Edo, as I always say, there is always a silver lining to everything.

My situation, which, depending on how I look at it, I could have posted in either thread, good or bad thing that happened to me:

Vehicle still  broken down - bad (or is it?)

Had the diagnostic today, faulty injector - good re. having a diagnostic, bad re. the fault

Injector will have to be flown from somewhere and will take 4 days - good I needed plenty of time to catch up on my editing for Alamy

Cost - very bad (in addition to towing costs) Will have to make looootttss of Alamy sales to pay for it. Won't happen in my lifetime.

So it all depends how you look at things. It could be much much worse.

Easy to be wise after the event, but do you not have breakdown insurance?  Maybe it's too expensive for your style of rugged touring in remote locations?

On the positive side, a failed injector - could have been a lot more expensive, while you are safe and well.

Our car developed a fault while towing the caravan in the south of France and our insurers were prepared to get the car and van home. As it transpired that wasn't necessary as we had the car fixed locally and could continue our holiday. I was particularly impressed in that the insurance company rang us up later to ask if we were still Ok.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Easy to be wise after the event, but do you not have breakdown insurance?  Maybe it's too expensive for your style of rugged touring in remote locations?

We do. They paid $3,000 out of the $4,400 tow price. Bear in mind that the nearest town was 800km away and part of the way was on gravel road. There are maybe only a couple of insurance companies who would insure us for off-road. We are a 5.7 ton vehicle which does not help. If we break down on a gravel road and the tow truck is not 4x4, we are on our own. And the breakdown has to happen on a gazetted road.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

On the positive side, a failed injector - could have been a lot more expensive, while you are safe and well.

Absolutely, agree with you entirely. We are very well prepared for those remote trips. We have a satellite phone (charged), an EPIRB, CB, lots of water and food on board. We also have an expensive off-road GPS, downloaded on a Samsung Galaxy tablet with a special mount on the windscreen. (will try to find the picture for you).

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Our car developed a fault while towing the caravan in the south of France and our insurers were prepared to get the car and van home. As it transpired that wasn't necessary as we had the car fixed locally and could continue our holiday. 

Our breakdown insurance would pay for accommodation and car rental while repairs are being carried out but in this instance, we blew the maximum budget with the tow bill. 

Edited by gvallee
41 minutes ago, gvallee said:

We are very well prepared for those remote trips. We have a satellite phone (charged), an EPIRB, lots of water and food on board. We also have an expensive off-road GPS, downloaded on a Samsung Galaxy tablet with a special mount on the windscreen. (will try to find the picture for you).

Here you are.

http://GPS-2.jpg

It's actually funny. Our right hand side GPS is a townie. See what it knows of the Outback?? Ha ha.

Edited by gvallee
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I can't get a decent quality wide range freewheel to fit to the mavic hub on my aged Nigel Dean tourer

Looking into these myself, I've got hold of a s/h 6 speed Maillard Compact in good condition which is the same width as a 5-speed. Would this Sunrace 14-28 not work for you, it's certainly cheap enough? There are quite a few new Shimano 6-speeds on ebay. Maybe you're looking for a wider range though.

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Here you are.

http://GPS-2.jpg

It's actually funny. Our right hand side GPS is a townie. See what it knows of the Outback?? Ha ha.

Looks like that big open flat landscape could make a great airfield.😵

Allan

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Looks like that big open flat landscape could make a great airfield.😵

Allan

We've actually taken off a few times on those roads, but that's because of potholes and bulldust holes.

• Haha 1