Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

R14591.jpg

Water butt saga. That on the right sprung a leak a couple of years ago, a crack appeared in the base., and the problem has spread. I've tried a range of solutions.

Plan A drill out the ends of the crack and use plastic padding to seal, it worked for a while.

Plan B I tried welding over the cracks using a heat gun and material from milk containers, they are made of the same stuff, it worked for a while

Plan C more of plan B, but added Gorilla tape inside and outside, it worked for a while

Plan D lined the butt with plastic sheeting, after covering the base with a layer of sifted sand, currently holding water but it can't last

Plan E To be attempted when plan D fails. Cast a layer of concrete across the base, paint and seal edges with mastic

Plan F Buy a new butt, support base on plywood disc to lower stress on plastic.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

R14591.jpg

Water butt saga. That on the right sprung a leak a couple of years ago, a crack appeared in the base., and the problem has spread. I've tried a range of solutions.

Plan A drill out the ends of the crack and use plastic padding to seal, it worked for a while.

Plan B I tried welding over the cracks using a heat gun and material from milk containers, they are made of the same stuff, it worked for a while

Plan C more of plan B, but added Gorilla tape inside and outside, it worked for a while

Plan D lined the butt with plastic sheeting, after covering the base with a layer of sifted sand, currently holding water but it can't last

Plan E To be attempted when plan D fails. Cast a layer of concrete across the base, paint and seal edges with mastic

I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic around the crack and weld it together, inside and out.

The same trick I used as a kid on the normal rose bush/football incident

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Martin L said:

I used a soldering iron to melt the plastic around the crack and weld it together, inside and out.

The same trick I used as a kid on the normal rose bush/football incident

Think I tried that as well Martin. It's now so cracked and broken across the base that only major surgery, or a new butt will do.

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Think I tried that as well Martin. It's now so cracked and broken across the base that only major surgery, or a new butt will do.

🖕.    

Edit:  sorry Brian that was meant to be a 'thumbs up'!!!!!! Must remember to use my glasses next time......did make me laugh though 🤣 🤣 🤣

Edited by Martin L
Cock up
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

R14591.jpg

Thinking through a problem, priceless!!

Reminded me of this.

Iron Acton south gloucestershire england UK Stock Photo

Cheers  👍🙂

Edited by Mr Standfast
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Back in December I had a card posted through the letter box from Thames Water stating we may have a leaking pipe in the rear garden, along with a phone number to book a callout. I booked a callout, was to be between 12 noon and 4pm. Waited in all day, was a no show. They made no attempt to contact me. Attempted to phone them after 4pm, found they only answer calls up to 4pm. Most of a day wasted. Phoned and booked another call the following day, was offered a  8am to 12 noon slot. This time I recorded the conversation, asked for the operators name, and that they confirm the appointment by email. I had the operator spell out my email address so there could be no mistakes. To this day I never received the email. Then phoned Thames Water customer services and complained re the no show and promised email not sent. Was assured they would attend. Thames Water's contractor did arrive on time. The only hiccup was they assumed the direction of the water feed from an adjacent alley that contained the stop cock and water meter and used a water cooled very noisy rotary saw to cut away a large section of a concrete path and after digging down over a metre there was no pipe where they expected. They then cut away more concrete on each side of the garden fence and close to the end of the day found the leak and fixed it. The garden gate was left open for them to fill in the holes the following day, which they did. I had photographed some of their work, the RAW files have joined my backlog in the WIP folder. Today we have been cleaning up, and noticed what are likely our cats paw prints in the concrete. A long drawn out fiasco.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

Here I am old and odd and living in a foreign land. Icy winds blow in from across the Irish Sea, angry Moslems might attack from the south, Russians and Chinese from the east. The Vikings could try once more to take over this island. The Romans have left us their walls and forts and only come around now to deliver pizza, pasta, and Valpolicella. Hmm.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 03:21, Bryan said:

Bryan, you crack me up! My butt is sagging a bit, too. 😂😆🤣 ‘nuf said.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Jump on Plan F, Bryan!

Good advice Ed

Plan D has failed 🥲

Intending to try plan E today 🙂

Will probably move onto plan F shortly after 🙃

It gives a person something to do.

Currently reading the latest Richard Osman book, may or may not get to the end.

F would be the only plan option for me . . . if I had a garden area and needed a butt. My brother was the handy guy in our family. I'm the poet. 

Was Saturday night when I first passed here

Was on my way to somewhere near

To have a pint of beer

Is that better? No? Worse eh? 😧

Hmm. Maybe I should get a garden.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

On 02/02/2024 at 06:46, Bryan said:

R14591.jpg

Have you tried Milliput? It has prolonged the life of many leaky things.

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

F would be the only plan option for me . . . if I had a garden area and needed a butt. My brother was the handy guy in our family. I'm the poet. 

Was Saturday night when I first passed here

Was on my way to somewhere else

To have a pint of beer

Hmm. Maybe I should get a garden.

I was on my way to where?

Turn back and start again

Oh! I remember

If I had not turned back

I would be there.

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Keith Burdett said:

Have you tried Milliput? It has prolonged the life of many leaky things.

Not heard of that thanks Keith, but have now poured concrete. Need to let it dry and then waterproof. 

I can honestly say I just spent the scarriest night of my whole life. We've been caught in the desert in cyclonic winds and downpours from ex-tropical cyclone Kirrili, still lingering overland.

We knew about the coming rain but nobody mentioned the winds! We left at 5am and drove in the dark, something we never do because of wildlife and cattle on the road, to reach a tiny community before the rain. The desert tracks are impassable when wet and we could be stranded for a month like people further north at the moment.

We chose an elevated spot to avoid being flooded. Ha ha said the ex-cyclone, I will blow you off instead then. A sheer night of hell ensued. Defeaning thunder, lightning over the whole sky, and skies are big in the desert, torrential rain coming through a jammed window soaking my bed and curtains, wind howling through the opening. But most of all, oh the shaking. Any minute I thought our bus would be toppled. Nothing could be done, we might get toppled if we tried to move it. Plus we're parked in a sea of mud.

I will swap for the wet UK weather or the US freeze. Just for one day OK? Any takers?

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 3

19 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I can honestly say I just spent the scarriest night of my whole life. We've been caught in the desert in cyclonic winds and downpours from ex-tropical cyclone Kirrili, still lingering overland.

We knew about the coming rain but nobody mentioned the winds! We left at 5am and drove in the dark, something we never do because of wildlife and cattle on the road, to reach a tiny community before the rain. The desert tracks are impassable when wet and we could be stranded for a month like people further north at the moment.

We chose an elevated spot to avoid being flooded. Ha ha said the ex-cyclone, I will blow you off instead then. A sheer night of hell ensued. Defeaning thunder, lightning over the whole sky, and skies are big in the desert, torrential rain coming through a blocked window soaking my bed and curtains, wind howling through the opening. But most of all, oh the shaking. Any minute I thought our bus would be toppled. Nothing could be done, we might get toppled if we tried to move it. Plus we're parked in a sea of mud.

I will swap for the wet UK weather or the US freeze. Just for one day OK? Any takers?

Not a chance I would swap. That sounds absolutely awful.  About ten years ago, my son and I huddled together, in my basement, in the worst storm I have ever experienced and even being in a brick house, it is something I never want to go through again.  Wicked storms are super scary.   My home survived but was without electricity for a week and trees were down all over the place.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not a chance I would swap. That sounds absolutely awful.  About ten years ago, my son and I huddled together, in my basement, in the worst storm I have ever experienced and even being in a brick house, it is something I never want to go through again.  Wicked storms are super scary.   My home survived but was without electricity for a week and trees were down all over the place.

My worst fear was the bus being toppled over, the rocking was awful. No one could have helped, no one could have stood up in those winds. The amazing thing is that I am still able to use the Internet. 

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, gvallee said:

My worst fear was the bus being toppled over, the rocking was awful. No one could have helped, no one could have stood up in those winds. The amazing thing is that I am still able to use the Internet. 

Yes, absolutely! So glad you, hubby and the bus stayed upright!  That Starlink is amazing!!

Oh my, Gen. I find strong winds really scary. Of course here in NYC I only encounter it when out walking and a couple of times when it has moved me along I have grabbed a parked car in fear of being drawn out into traffic. I'm so glad you have survived and hope you can reach a quiet spot for a while.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Wow, that sounds terrifying, Gen. I'm glad you and the bus are OK. Hope you can get out of the mud soon!

I got out of the bus to take weather pictures this morning and promptly sank to my ankles. 

A helicopter has just been flying over low to do a reccie. Never saw one flying the way he did, must have been the wind. All roads around us are now closed. Waiting for the pub to open 😄

6 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, absolutely! So glad you, hubby and the bus stayed upright!  That Starlink is amazing!!

Actually, we're using the Telstra signal from the community. It was impossible to set up our Starlink dish in the mud and wind.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oh my, Gen. I find strong winds really scary. Of course here in NYC I only encounter it when out walking and a couple of times when it has moved me along I have grabbed a parked car in fear of being drawn out into traffic. I'm so glad you have survived and hope you can reach a quiet spot for a while.

Paulette

Yes it is scary when you lose control. I've seen reporters on TV reporting live, taking stupid risks. When it's gale force winds, we get it, no need to stand drenched in the street to show us.

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

We chose an elevated spot to avoid being flooded. Ha ha said the ex-cyclone, I will blow you off instead then. A sheer night of hell ensued. Defeaning thunder, lightning over the whole sky, and skies are big in the desert, torrential rain coming through a jammed window soaking my bed and curtains, wind howling through the opening. But most of all, oh the shaking. Any minute I thought our bus would be toppled. Nothing could be done, we might get toppled if we tried to move it. Plus we're parked in a sea of mud.

We'll send Bryan over to put some concrete ballast in the Van.   Take care!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Standfast said:

We'll send Bryan over to put some concrete ballast in the Van.   Take care!

LOL!! I was actually thinking about offering Bryan to come and fix his butt. 😀

• Alamy locked this topic