Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Ate a lovely crunchy peanut butter sandwich earlier, from an Einkorn loaf baked last night. Can't understand why we hadn't baked this before, delicious with a crisp outer. Was also nice for breakfast toasted with a light spread of no added sugar marmalade too. It needed more time in the toaster than our usual bread. I didn't photograph it as no doubt it would have been well covered by Alamy contributors. Managed to shoot something else in Hertfordshire I'd been thinking about for some time. Likely one useable shot, will redo during the summer when there will be sun and in the right direction. Was a nice walk down narrow lanes.

Edited by sb photos

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hi, Mark!

By next month, do you mean Feb or March? 

Normally, it would be great to have lunch or dinner, or at least hit a pub. What passes for a get-together in a lockdown? 

Anyway, here's my email . . . so maybe we can figure something out? 

edoruan@gmail.com

I would like to have been able to come to join in the discussions and for a day out. But even in March we would be still in semi lockdown and I think a car journey just for the sake of meeting some friends and a bit of exercise with photo opportunities thrown in would be frowned upon by the authorities.

Allan

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Cleethorpes born, Grimsby schooled until I moved down to Plymouth in 1974 (one of the first things said to me when I arrived was "oh, you've come down to retire, have you?  I was 24).  Lincoln was a regular day trip in my youth. My three sisters and their families are still in the area and I visit whenever I can.

Interesting and thanks for that.  My mother was an Area Officer Commanding in the fire service in Grimsby during WWII. A bit before your time.

Great! When things are more relaxed re covid maybe we could meet up when you  are up this way.

Allan

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

That would be so great, Betty. I remember you went to be with him when his wife died. I can't believe it was that long ago.

Paulette

I know, Paulette. Time really does fly, even when some days seem to drag! 😊 Optimist that I am, I believe these days we are suffering through will soon be a blip in our rear-view mirrors. <SOON...definition.. a long stretch of time that flies by>

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Interesting and thanks for that.  My mother was an Area Officer Commanding in the fire service in Grimsby during WWII. A bit before your time.

Great! When things are more relaxed re covid maybe we could meet up when you  are up this way.

Allan

Cheers Allan.  I'll certainly set a reminder to myself for my next visit back up that way.  Even if, the way things are going, that could be well into the future.

On 30/01/2021 at 04:14, Sultanpepa said:

It's my birthday. 

Happy birthday. Mine is tomorrow, so I guess we're both Aquarians. I'll be LXXII (looks better in Roman numerals), so you're still young.

P.S. I feel more hail and hearty now than I did at 60 if that's any consolation -- lost 30 pounds since then, also new hip, new eyes, in better shape, among other things.

• Love 3

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Happy birthday. Mine is tomorrow, so I guess we're both Aquarians. I'll be LXXII (looks better in Roman numerals), so you're still young.

P.S. I feel more hail and hearty now than I did at 60 if that's any consolation -- lost 30 pounds since then, also new hip, new eyes, in better shape, among other things.

Well done and happy birthday.🙂

• Love 1

Happy Birthday, John!

I’m 8 years as a professional photographer today.  Can’t believe I’m still living the dream, must be doing something right! 

Edited by Colblimp
  • Love 2
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Now today. Many happy returns John.🎂

Allan

• Love 1

On 27/01/2021 at 13:03, Ed Rooney said:

I got my first jab/shot/vaccination this morning.

It was AstraZeneca, the Oxford vaccine. Two 25 minute taxi rides were inconvenient and costly, but the NHS temporary operation set up in this Village Hotel Pharmacy was very impressive. Very.

I'm lucky to be here in the UK with the NHS on my side. 

Edo

The UK have now vaccinated over 10 million people as of today. Had my first jab yesterday and, contrary to what the anti-vax brigade would have you believe, I haven't died, turned green or grown two heads.

A small step forward and I'm looking forward to the day when I once again have the confidence and freedom to travel into London again which is my favourite photographic stomping ground.

• Like 4

When I was planning my move to the Lincoln area back in 2019 I was looking forward to getting out a lot more and taking thousands of photos to upload to Alamy, well hundreds anyway. That was the good thing. Then covid arrived and even though I had my first dose of vaccine a week ago I am now stuck with few outside photos available and not really much indoors either.

I know we are all in the same boat but it is annoying and has put plans back for some time to come.

Sorry for the outburst but I feel a bit better now.

Allan

• Like 1

On 02/02/2021 at 10:01, Allan Bell said:

When I was planning my move to the Lincoln area back in 2019 I was looking forward to getting out a lot more and taking thousands of photos to upload to Alamy, well hundreds anyway. That was the good thing. Then covid arrived and even though I had my first dose of vaccine a week ago I am now stuck with few outside photos available and not really much indoors either.

I know we are all in the same boat but it is annoying and has put plans back for some time to come.

Sorry for the outburst but I feel a bit better now.

Allan

Good to let off a bit of steam, I share your frustration. At the beginning of 2019 I made the decision that I would retire at the Easter with pretty much the same plan as you; to devote more time to my photography and boost my Alamy collection. I do take the camera out when I go for my daily walk but I too am finding picture options dwindling.

Hopefully better times are on the way.

Anyway, this topic is about good things so I guess I may have gone a little off-beam in that regard, apologies to all. Good thing is that having retired I no longer have to get up at 4:30 a.m. on cold winter days and travel into town to lock horns with daft architects, consultants, suppliers and sub-contractors.

Edited by Dave Richards
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Wet cleaned the sensors in both my Nikon bodies. All spotless now so hopefully no more cloning out dust spots for a while.

While you are in the cleaning mode you could do some housework now.😇

Plenty here if yours is all done.

Allan

February 3rd, 2020 I hobbled on a train and to the Cologne Cathedral. I have been waiting forever to see it and since I was within 2 hours, of course I went. The next day, I checked into a hospital for my spine surgery. It's been a year now, and for the firs time in 13 years I have a shot at a relatively pain free future. 😊

45 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Wet cleaned the sensors in both my Nikon bodies. All spotless now so hopefully no more cloning out dust spots for a while.

Wow that's very brave.  I had a bad experience cleaning sensors many years ago when I had the D200 - I managed to almost wreck it by introducing a score line right across it which showed up on every single image I shot over F4.  I told myself then I would never attempt a sensor clean again😁  It's Fixation for me😁

Well done 😁

Carol

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that's very brave.  I had a bad experience cleaning sensors many years ago when I had the D200 - I managed to almost wreck it by introducing a score line right across it which showed up on every single image I shot over F4.  I told myself then I would never attempt a sensor clean again😁  It's Fixation for me😁

Well done 😁

Carol

Me too Carol, I tried cleaning my first DSLR and nearly ruined it....I have PTSD from that experience and only have pros clean my cameras now.

• Alamy locked this topic