Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

6 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Me too Carol, I tried cleaning my first DSLR and nearly ruined it....I have PTSD from that experience and only have pros clean my cameras now.

The pellicle on the A58 means it's almost a thing of the past, but the first time I ever had sensor dust, I tried a bicycle pump first...........Rocket blowers work better, believe me😉

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Me too Carol, I tried cleaning my first DSLR and nearly ruined it....I have PTSD from that experience and only have pros clean my cameras now.

And another here... I can't bear to poke anything inside my camera. I wouldn't even know what grade of Brillo pad to use...

On 02/02/2021 at 04:01, Allan Bell said:

When I was planning my move to the Lincoln area back in 2019 I was looking forward to getting out a lot more and taking thousands of photos to upload to Alamy, well hundreds anyway. That was the good thing. Then covid arrived and even though I had my first dose of vaccine a week ago I am now stuck with few outside photos available and not really much indoors either.

I know we are all in the same boat but it is annoying and has put plans back for some time to come.

Sorry for the outburst but I feel a bit better now.

Allan

Allan, check your caption for LDDT1J2. One letter left out of “flower”.

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

Something wrong with that Betty. Too many letters?

Paulette

Messed up, but it’s still 2DDT1J2. That’s the image number that shows on his teasel. It must be one of the new images numbers where there are extra letters or numbers.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Booked vaccinations for us both on Monday. Hoping to be able to visit shops again, once the magic brew has done its work. Mrs dreaming of seeing grandbairns in the foreseeable future. And, first Feb sale arrived yesterday.

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Messed up, but it’s still 2DDT1J2. That’s the image number that shows on his teasel. It must be one of the new images numbers where there are extra letters or numbers.

Thank you Betty and Paulette I have amended caption and tags.

How did you spot that one Betty?

Allan

18 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Tooth brush with a bit of Vim on seems to move the stubborn spots.🙂

I once had a Nikon D750 which I was asked to return to them for replacement of shutter. When I got it back the sensor was full of crap so I complained then cleaned it myself. They later asked me to return it for a sensor clean. Told them I had done it myself.  This was on a camera which I bought new and was only a few months old.

Later changed to Sony.

Allan

• Love 1

20 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The pellicle on the A58 means it's almost a thing of the past, but the first time I ever had sensor dust, I tried a bicycle pump first...........Rocket blowers work better, believe me😉

I have a rocket blower, sensor loupe and arctic butterfly - think they are still in the boxes😄

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

PTSD - totally understand 🙃

Fixation in London have always been brilliant when I've been there.  Pre Covid I used to get the train to Vauxhall and just walk up the road.  Leave it with them for 20/30 minutes, walk back down the road to a very nice greasy spoon cafe and have a coffee and/or breakfast - hope it's still there !  The only problem I find when going to Fixation I am sometimes tempted to buy other things😄

Carol

On 04/02/2021 at 11:11, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that's very brave.  I had a bad experience cleaning sensors many years ago when I had the D200 - I managed to almost wreck it by introducing a score line right across it which showed up on every single image I shot over F4.  I told myself then I would never attempt a sensor clean again😁  It's Fixation for me😁

Well done 😁

Carol

Weirdly enough I have found that the exposed sensor in my mirrorless camera is much less prone to muck than that in my DSLRs - and I change lenses very frequently as I use mainly fixed focal length glass. There is a theory that the action of the mirror sucks the stuff in, or maybe Sony has developed coatings that repel the crud, or the shaking sensor might be the answer ? I've only ever had to use a rocket blower with the Sony a6500 and there is rarely any need for spotting.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Betty and Paulette I have amended caption and tags.

How did you spot that one Betty?

Allan

Because I took a picture of one of those in 2009 and never figured out what it was. I clicked on your blue numbers to see what you were shooting these days. I must say, Allan, your photography just keeps on getting better and better. I never uploaded my image of my teasel because I couldn’t ID it.

So when I spotted yours, I had to know what it was, and spotted the error in the caption. More often than I’d like, I have missing letters. It’s like maybe I don’t tap firmly enough on a given key. I hope I don’t have any of those mistakes remaining but I’m sure I do. Actually, I find more where an extra letter has been added by mistake, rather than a left out one.

39 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Because I took a picture of one of those in 2009 and never figured out what it was. I clicked on your blue numbers to see what you were shooting these days. I must say, Allan, your photography just keeps on getting better and better. I never uploaded my image of my teasel because I couldn’t ID it.

So when I spotted yours, I had to know what it was, and spotted the error in the caption. More often than I’d like, I have missing letters. It’s like maybe I don’t tap firmly enough on a given key. I hope I don’t have any of those mistakes remaining but I’m sure I do. Actually, I find more where an extra letter has been added by mistake, rather than a left out one.

Actually it took a licence of an image for me to see a glaring error in the caption.🤢

Allan

On 05/02/2021 at 17:00, Betty LaRue said:

No worries, just bring a mcguigan. As they say.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

43 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

OH! and THANK YOU for the compliment.😘

Allan

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Weirdly enough I have found that the exposed sensor in my mirrorless camera is much less prone to muck than that in my DSLRs - and I change lenses very frequently as I use mainly fixed focal length glass. There is a theory that the action of the mirror sucks the stuff in, or maybe Sony has developed coatings that repel the crud, or the shaking sensor might be the answer ? I've only ever had to use a rocket blower with the Sony a6500 and there is rarely any need for spotting.

I've found with my cameras both mirrorless and DSLRs that sensor crud shows up most on newer cameras, and once what I assume to be machining and over oiling crud is gone, the cameras rarely get dust spots. 

14 hours ago, Bionic said:

@Allan Bell Just had a quick flick through your port and noticed 2CTCJMC is barley not wheat :)

Thank you for that. I have corrected where necessary.

Allan

20 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Just got the letter inviting me to book both first and second vaccines. So my first jab is on Monday, with the second one in April.

Finally I have something to put on my 2021 year planner... 😀

John, you were lucky getting your first appointment so soon. My letter arrived yesterday while I was out, and was busy in the evening. I booked my two vaccinations this morning. Had the choice of two sites, no difference in appointment dates offered. My first is next Saturday, and my second at the beginning of May. Will take a single camera and lens to see what opportunities there are, although I've already shot through the window and uploaded.

Edited by sb photos

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

John, you were lucky getting your first appointment so soon.

Yes, I was expecting my 'turn' would come later, maybe next month. And it was a surprise to be able to book both first and second jabs, so I can put both dates in my diary...

On 04/02/2021 at 11:11, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that's very brave.  I had a bad experience cleaning sensors many years ago when I had the D200 - I managed to almost wreck it by introducing a score line right across it which showed up on every single image I shot over F4.  I told myself then I would never attempt a sensor clean again😁  It's Fixation for me😁

Well done 😁

Carol

That must have been a pain. Do you know what went wrong and was it very expensive to get the sensor replaced?

We've finally edged into the 21st century at the allotments, as I am now in possession of the email addresses of all of the committee members (extracting teeth would have been easier) and we have agreed to hold a Zoom meeting at the end of the month. Hopefully it will go rather better than the chaotic parish council meeting which made the UK headlines this week ! The future is, I trust, paperless.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but we've just used the last of our main crop potatoes and home grown apples from last year, and secured a supply of new seed potatoes for 2021. 

Edited by Bryan

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hopefully it will go rather better than the chaotic parish council meeting which made the UK headlines this week !

I used to be a Parish Councillor so I found  that video very amusing. I served my 4 years and resigned as some of the other councillor’s views and attitudes really didn’t sit well with me. 

......still waiting for our seed potatoes to arrive.

• Alamy locked this topic