Post a good thing that happened in your life today

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Happy Birthday, Doug!

In Scotland, is 60 younger than in England? I was still a lad at 60. At 85 I still was feeling okay. At 86? I'm feeling new aches and pains in my old chronic aches and pains. 

Living on the damp (soaking wet) west coast is not good for you.

Allan

37 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As a doctor once told me. "Getting old is not good for you."

Allan

Was that an NHS doctor?

Damp in Merseyside? Oh yes. I tried living in Spain but the Spanish bureaucracy was not good for me. This month will be the third anniversary of my Mulberry Street fire, I did okay for my first two nomad years. This last one has aged me. But I guess it has aged us all. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

I think it is hard to realize how the stress of the virus situation has affected us. I was feeling a lot better today. Happier and more relaxed. I think it is because I have now had one dose of the vaccine and have found a new primary care doctor I really like. I think I had a lot of worry that I didn't even recognize.

Paulette

17 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I think it is hard to realize how the stress of the virus situation has affected us. I was feeling a lot better today. Happier and more relaxed. I think it is because I have now had one dose of the vaccine and have found a new primary care doctor I really like. I think I had a lot of worry that I didn't even recognize.

Paulette

It will take years, I reckon - and maybe more years than are left to me - to understand fully what's happening right now...

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Living on the damp (soaking wet) west coast is not good for you.

But at least our west coast rain is warmer than my native Lincolnshire precipitation.

Went with Luis, my dog walker and helper, to La Colonia grocery store the second time.  It had a small octopus and a brioche that both came home with me.  I couldn't find sage, but the store did have packaged fresh herbs and I picked up some cilantro which will go into whatever I make with the chicken thighs tomorrow.  The store also has some single malt Scotches and some 12 and 16 year old rums.  The 7 year old rums are the best value for the money, but I just looked today.   Also got Parmesan cheese (not from Italy, though), and noticed that between the octopus and what was on offer, I could do sushi, but didn't go that way this time.  The store also has tahani.  They have in-store bread baking and one of the women was pulling French baguettes out of the oven.  And La Colonia has one of the things that disappeared in Jinotega after 2018 -- brown rice.   They also have split yellow and green peas, red and green lentils.  Got some of the red lentils, which are also available at a weird food and auto parts store called PioPio.  Would have gotten frozen peas, but they were all frozen together in a lump and on special, so they'd been thawed at one point.  

I like seeing what they have, which is more variety than we used to have, but which is also a bit pricier than the WalMart franchise, Maxi Pali.   La Colonia also had some kitchenware that I'd only found earlier at a department store.  Maxi Pali has thinner no stick pans.  I'm good with the one I bought at the department store, but these looked like the same model, only granite coating.   Did buy three all cotton dish towels from Guatemala, not as cheap as when I bought others years ago for ten cordobas each, now about three times the price. 

Googled how to cook the octopus and simmered it for an hour until reasonably tender, cut it up, and boiled spaghetti in the cooking water, drained it when nearly done and added canned tomato sauce, dried basil, and the cut up octopus, and finished off with grated Parmesan cheese, olive oil, and black pepper.   I'm  sure that was not classic Italian or Spanish, but it was tasty. 

So a day of small pleasures, but no photographs.

Edited by MizBrown
  • Like 1

My son, who works in Alabama, will interview for a job in Kansas, 100 miles away from where I live. He’s been through about 5 layers of telephone interviews up to now, so he’ll get a face-to-face with the president of the company this coming Friday, and a tour of the plant. It’s a high-paying managerial position where they manufacture high-end boats. It would be his job to increase production. He’s an engineer with a MBA.

There is still a chance it won’t work, either if they think it’s not a fit or if my son decides it’s not a fit for him. Whatever, when it’s done, he’ll drive to Wichita and my daughter, her hubs and I will feed him a great dinner on Saturday, before he drives back. We’re hoping my other daughter in Oklahoma can get away and come.
He has a good job in Alabama, but he’d like to be close to family. It’s coming on 2 years in April since he lost his wife to breast cancer. If this works out, he possibly could start in March, hopefully earlier than later in the month.

I’m excited. I have one daughter in town, and the other two children would be 1 hr 45 minutes away in different directions.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Was that an NHS doctor?

YUP!

Allan

11 hours ago, John Richmond said:

But at least our west coast rain is warmer than my native Lincolnshire precipitation.

Agree the rain is cold here at this time of year but warmer in the summer.

Where away?     Lincolnshire I mean. I am a 15 minute bus ride from the centre of Lincoln.

Allan

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son, who works in Alabama, will interview for a job in Kansas, 100 miles away from where I live. He’s been through about 5 layers of telephone interviews up to now, so he’ll get a face-to-face with the president of the company this coming Friday, and a tour of the plant. It’s a high-paying managerial position where they manufacture high-end boats. It would be his job to increase production. He’s an engineer with a MBA.

There is still a chance it won’t work, either if they think it’s not a fit or if my son decides it’s not a fit for him. Whatever, when it’s done, he’ll drive to Wichita and my daughter, her hubs and I will feed him a great dinner on Saturday, before he drives back. We’re hoping my other daughter in Oklahoma can get away and come.
He has a good job in Alabama, but he’d like to be close to family. It’s coming on 2 years in April since he lost his wife to breast cancer. If this works out, he possibly could start in March, hopefully earlier than later in the month.

I’m excited. I have one daughter in town, and the other two children would be 1 hr 45 minutes away in different directions.

That would be so great, Betty. I remember you went to be with him when his wife died. I can't believe it was that long ago.

Paulette

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Lincolnshire I mean. I am a 15 minute bus ride from the centre of Lincoln.

Cleethorpes born, Grimsby schooled until I moved down to Plymouth in 1974 (one of the first things said to me when I arrived was "oh, you've come down to retire, have you?  I was 24).  Lincoln was a regular day trip in my youth. My three sisters and their families are still in the area and I visit whenever I can.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Was that an NHS doctor?

Damp in Merseyside? Oh yes. I tried living in Spain but the Spanish bureaucracy was not good for me. This month will be the third anniversary of my Mulberry Street fire, I did okay for my first two nomad years. This last one has aged me. But I guess it has aged us all. 

I think this counts as a Good Thing.

I'm on the brink of some film work in Liverpool with the Steenbeck next month, Ed, and if there were a way we could take some lawful exercise if I had a spare hour that would be great.

You're vaccinated and I will have had a Covid test for the work so we won't kill each other. If you're interested, can you suggest a way to make contact? Maybe through the blog? Which one- edoruan or edoruan2? Or I'll post an email address here.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I think this counts as a Good Thing.

I'm on the brink of some film work in Liverpool with the Steenbeck next month, Ed, and if there were a way we could take some lawful exercise if I had a spare hour that would be great.

You're vaccinated and I will have had a Covid test for the work so we won't kill each other. If you're interested, can you suggest a way to make contact? Maybe through the blog? Which one- edoruan or edoruan2? Or I'll post an email address here.

Hi, Mark!

By next month, do you mean Feb or March? 

Normally, it would be great to have lunch or dinner, or at least hit a pub. What passes for a get-together in a lockdown? 

Edited by Ed Rooney

Ate a lovely crunchy peanut butter sandwich earlier, from an Einkorn loaf baked last night. Can't understand why we hadn't baked this before, delicious with a crisp outer. Was also nice for breakfast toasted with a light spread of no added sugar marmalade too. It needed more time in the toaster than our usual bread. I didn't photograph it as no doubt it would have been well covered by Alamy contributors. Managed to shoot something else in Hertfordshire I'd been thinking about for some time. Likely one useable shot, will redo during the summer when there will be sun and in the right direction. Was a nice walk down narrow lanes.

Edited by sb photos
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hi, Mark!

By next month, do you mean Feb or March? 

Normally, it would be great to have lunch or dinner, or at least hit a pub. What passes for a get-together in a lockdown? 

Anyway, here's my email . . . so maybe we can figure something out? 

edoruan@gmail.com

I would like to have been able to come to join in the discussions and for a day out. But even in March we would be still in semi lockdown and I think a car journey just for the sake of meeting some friends and a bit of exercise with photo opportunities thrown in would be frowned upon by the authorities.

Allan

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Cleethorpes born, Grimsby schooled until I moved down to Plymouth in 1974 (one of the first things said to me when I arrived was "oh, you've come down to retire, have you?  I was 24).  Lincoln was a regular day trip in my youth. My three sisters and their families are still in the area and I visit whenever I can.

Interesting and thanks for that.  My mother was an Area Officer Commanding in the fire service in Grimsby during WWII. A bit before your time.

Great! When things are more relaxed re covid maybe we could meet up when you  are up this way.

Allan

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

That would be so great, Betty. I remember you went to be with him when his wife died. I can't believe it was that long ago.

Paulette

I know, Paulette. Time really does fly, even when some days seem to drag! 😊 Optimist that I am, I believe these days we are suffering through will soon be a blip in our rear-view mirrors. <SOON...definition.. a long stretch of time that flies by>

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Interesting and thanks for that.  My mother was an Area Officer Commanding in the fire service in Grimsby during WWII. A bit before your time.

Great! When things are more relaxed re covid maybe we could meet up when you  are up this way.

Allan

Cheers Allan.  I'll certainly set a reminder to myself for my next visit back up that way.  Even if, the way things are going, that could be well into the future.

On 30/01/2021 at 04:14, Sultanpepa said:

It's my birthday. 

Happy birthday. Mine is tomorrow, so I guess we're both Aquarians. I'll be LXXII (looks better in Roman numerals), so you're still young.

P.S. I feel more hail and hearty now than I did at 60 if that's any consolation -- lost 30 pounds since then, also new hip, new eyes, in better shape, among other things.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Happy birthday. Mine is tomorrow, so I guess we're both Aquarians. I'll be LXXII (looks better in Roman numerals), so you're still young.

P.S. I feel more hail and hearty now than I did at 60 if that's any consolation -- lost 30 pounds since then, also new hip, new eyes, in better shape, among other things.

Well done and happy birthday.🙂

• Like 1