Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Rather than talking about doom and gloom, post something good that happened in your day and days to come. Let’s spread joy.

Me? I was able to put in a pickup-grocery-order today. A couple of days ago there was no room at the inn. I can pick them up Monday. 🤗

And my Rose of Sharon bush has leaf buds. Spring is showing new life.

Betty

• Love 8

Today is my other half's birthday. We're camping, so I served his breakfast outdoor with two blueberry muffins and a lit candle in each. It was nice.

• Love 4

1 hour ago, Bob J said:

Ok. I might win this one. I had an eye exam about a year ago and an optician (with a rather poor bedside manner) told me that it looked like I had early-onset macular degeneration. So I was preparing for early age-related blindness. That was tough. Today I had a very thorough eye exam at the hospital and was told .... You have an extremely mild eye defect that has been there since birth. Your eyes are fine - go home and stop worrying.

So, that was nice!

My Gosh! Wonderful news worth celebrating. I used to work for an ophthalmologist, and know the condition. Happy for you!

38 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I found a butternut squash! 😂

How are you going to cook it? Recipe?

As I said, it's my other half's birthday today and he's a foodie. I've cooked his favourite meal for lunch, pancakes with salmon, cream and fresh dill, desert was pancake with blueberries in cream. So yes, I'm in foodie mood too.

Currently wild camping in Oman. Hiking and swimming up gorges, watching giant turtles laying eggs on a beach before returning to the ocean; desert skies; silence. Making my battered 5D Mk 3 even more battered. Nature rocks. Get some nature. Who knows if my return flight will leave. There are worse places to get stranded.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I found a butternut squash! 😂

We were overseas for nearly 4 weeks (last last year, returning very early January this year I might add :) ) and just before we left I scattered and lightly dug in a cubic yard or two of fresh vermicompost around the garden . . . when we returned, I might have stumbled on John Wyndham's inspiration for Day of The Triffids--our garden overgrown with enormous pumpkin vines, including up trees and trellises and fences. So we now have a couple of dozen nearly-ripe butternut pumpkins (several hanging from a lemon tree), Japanese pumpkins (my favourite) and a variety I'm not yet sure of.

A decent dose of Serendipity in light of the disappearing food on local supermarket shelves.

DD

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I have done multiple different jobs over the past few years to support my photography ;) I've also been through a shed-load of difficult situations in recent times and have been down on my *** knees. I thought that that tally was about to be added to.

Yesterday morning I discovered that I would very likely be losing my job at the end of the day (and my employer would be losing her business). TBH, at my age, with my poor health and with the current situation, I was scared shirtless. I didn't know how I would pay the bills or rent or support my daughter.

It came as the most welcome of shocks therefore, to discover that a Conservative (right-wing) govt has saved my bacon. For those outside the UK, the chancellor (man with the money) here announced at the end of the working day that - for the next three months at least - businesses would be supported by paying 80% of workers' salaries who would otherwise be laid off owing to the current crisis.

It now looks highly likely that my employer will be able to carry on and I will be kept on (on furlough) at 80% of my wage for the next three months at least and hopefully it'll be all uphill from there.

All in all a good day. Bought a bottle of wine. Fell asleep with the glass in my hand. And now been awake for a while in the early hours with a happy hangover! ☺️

• Love 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

How are you going to cook it? Recipe?

As I said, it's my other half's birthday today and he's a foodie. I've cooked his favourite meal for lunch, pancakes with salmon, cream and fresh dill, desert was pancake with blueberries in cream. So yes, I'm in foodie mood too.

Chop, steam, mash with butter or margarine, add salt/pepper then nutmeg at last minute. Simple, very good alongside lentils I find, but then I'm an odd mostly vegetarian person. I actually had trouble finding lentils today, which is something I can't ever remember seeing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Chop, steam, mash with butter or margarine, add salt/pepper then nutmeg at last minute. Simple, very good alongside lentils I find, but then I'm an odd mostly vegetarian person. I actually had trouble finding lentils today, which is something I can't ever remember seeing.

I'm anything but a vegetarian but it does sounds tasty. Good recipe. Pasta and tinned tomatoes were gone last time I went to the supermarket but couscous was still available. Don't know about lentils, I reckon they were still some left. This is a happy thread so all the yummies I usually buy were no problems.

There are positive things every day. Yesterday I cooked the most delicious curry I've had in some while. The day before it was a beautiful afternoon and I had a lovely 5-mile walk in the countryside. It should have been 7 miles but my hip seized up and I had to limp the last 2 miles home in pain. But hey, I don't dwell on the bad bits. 

Alan

21 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Having made almost 50 bottles of elderberry wine I am pleasantly surprised by how it is already very drinkable. 

It will improve with age - that is the hard part!

There are talks about restrictions on booze here ... Oh no, it's a happy thread. OK so it's evening here and I had a lovely (or two) glass of chilled white wine with warm mini-quiches for nibbles in balmy temperature (32C right now). Bliss.

5 minutes ago, gvallee said:

There are talks about restrictions on booze here ... Oh no, it's a happy thread. OK so it's evening here and I had a lovely (or two) glass of chilled white wine with warm mini-quiches for nibbles in balmy temperature (32C right now). Bliss.

The booze is flying off the shelves here in the UK, as Brits decide to 'self-medicate' as they self-isolate. Oh... good news? Well, I wasn't run over by a bus yesterday. Happy days...

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, gvallee said:

There are talks about restrictions on booze here ...

As someone said earlier in another thread, there's always a silver lining.

DD

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

I'm anything but a vegetarian but it does sounds tasty. Good recipe. Pasta and tinned tomatoes were gone last time I went to the supermarket but couscous was still available. Don't know about lentils, I reckon they were still some left. This is a happy thread so all the yummies I usually buy were no problems.

I couldn't find any tofu either, which I guess some people would consider positive. I'm going to miss my tofu Stroganoff, a favourite of mine.

Whether this is a good thing or not. Ordering online has its perils. Mainly the size of what I order. I thought I was ordering a small tube...maybe 3 pounds, of hamburger.

Just picked up my order, and I have a 10 pound tube. (Over 4.5kg) Emergency call message to my daughter to see if she needs any hamburger. I may be doling it out to my neighbors. 😲

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1