Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

With time on my hands I decided to purge some of the items in the attic. For some misguided reason I had kept the boxes from our electrical/electronic goods purchases over the years and had amassed a large quantity of them. They will all go to the local tip today, thus enabling me to further insulate the roof space. Should have done it years ago. I looked up the price of loft insulation and was surprised to find that the local builder's merchants were a good deal more expensive than a couple of DIY stores.

I'm still hoarding my photo enlarger and associated kit, along with the remnants of the large model railway that used to go around the walls of our sons' bedroom. I might give that stuff to a local model railway society when things get back to normal. Some useful finds included a set of boules and various beach bat and ball stuff, along with forgotten toys that will be useful when the grandbairns are able to visit. Once upon a time we were into home brewing of beer and wine, so several demijohns etc to be disposed of when lockdown ends.

Sadly no boxes of valuable Chinese pottery, old masters, or exotic jewellery to be found !

Sounds like our loft, there are boxes for several defunct computers up there. And also from memory, there is a sledge, a whole silk parachute, old children’s books and toys, old chimney sweep rods, pots Ian made at college 50 odd years ago, the last 7 year’s accounts, a bag with 6 straw boater hats, boxes of xmas decorations (most of which we don’t use), etc.

Might have to get up there now and declutter!!

Found it!! We're booked for a day trip tomorrow to an inland on the Outer reef of the Great Barrier Reef. Great I thought, I'll use my new toy, a half-in half-out dome for my GoPro while snorkelling. Now where is it?? There are only a few cupboards (and 3 photo bags) in my motorhome. I go through everything twice. Nothing. I dismantle my bed for the third time, it can only be there, I go through all the fishing gear [why doesn't he sell this stuff, he never even caught a sardine...] and at last, tucked in a corner right at the back near the tools, here it is! Shots won't be for Alamy of course but it should be a lot of fun.

Let's just hope that the sea won't be too rough, it's 2h sailing each way. 

Made the trip to the dump, but had to queue for ages to get in. Several people gave up and did an about turn, but eventually the deed was done.  Should have taken a photo of the queue. - but didn't.   Proceeded to the DIY shop to buy insulation, and, as if by magic, the single roll purchased fitted exactly into the required area.  Sometimes you get lucky.

Seeing Mr Standfast's comment above, I should really revisit the loft and take some photos!  Keywords, slightly untidy loft. 

Edited by Bryan

Painted half the rear wall of my garage with 2 coats of white waterproof paint onto bare brick.

Two reasons: 1  bricks are/were damp and causing problems.  2  makes the inside of the garage brighter with the same lighting.

Allan

Booked my vaccinations today on a tip-off, for ten days' time, even though I'm only group 7 and didn't think I'd be due yet. But the website took my NHS number and DOB so who am I to complain.

I just have to remember to resist the temptation to give any credit to certain persons.........

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Made the trip to the dump, but had to queue for ages to get in. Several people gave up and did an about turn, but eventually the deed was done.  Should have taken a photo of the queue. - but didn't.   Proceeded to the DIY shop to buy insulation, and, as if by magic, the single roll purchased fitted exactly into the required area.  Sometimes you get lucky.

Seeing Mr Standfast's comment above, I should really revisit the loft and take some photos!  Keywords, slightly untidy loft. 

I have a large storage room in the basement. The rest of that floor is a living area, 3rd bathroom and a bedroom. I worked diligently and sold a lot of stored stuff in my garage sale last fall. I think I still have 20-30 boxes in there, along with a large shelving unit full.

A funny story. When we moved, we hired a moving truck. The company assured me the truck they sent would hold everything from a 4 bedroom house with two living areas. Well, it didn’t. The day we had to leave and turn the house over to the new owners, my grandson made a 4 hour round trip to borrow a large enclosed trailer.

The back story is this. I packed up my bedroom and personal things, but during that job my back pain became so overwhelming I couldn’t stand up. There was a discussion between two relatives about leaving things in the drawers, taking them out and stacking them on top of each other to load in the truck. One said yes, do it, the other said no. I was out of it by then, so I don’t remember what was done.

I and my two daughters had carefully labeled with wide black marker every single box we personally packed with the contents.

The move happened. I accessed kitchen things from the boxes labeled “kitchen”. My bedroom was labeled “master bedroom” and so on. Other unnecessary boxes were taken down to the storage room. There had to be at least 60 boxes in storage.

While unpacking my bedroom, I couldn’t find my nighties, and most of my bras. Some were brand new. I’d go down to storage, then look at all the boxes stacked upon each other with a lot of moving, unstacking, turning labels around but could find nothing labeled master bedroom or “Mom’s nighties/underwear.”

I had separately packed a small bag that had 2 nighties, and a couple of sets of underwear because we had to wait 5 days before the moving truck delivered to the new house. We stayed with my daughter.

I ended up having to shop and buy new underwear and nighties to go with what I had in my overnight bag. I periodically, over months, went to the basement and looked again. Nada.

A couple of months ago I was looking for something, and found a box labeled “mystery box” with a goofy smiley face on it. It was not my or my daughters’ handwriting, but one of the mens’. Could have been a choice of two sons-in-laws or 3 grandsons.

I looked in the mystery box and there was all of my unmentionables.

If I knew who that culprit was, I’d choke the life out of him.   But I actually don’t know what I’d done without their help. Ended up in the loony bin, probably.

I can barely close my nightie drawer and underwear drawer, now. Stuffed. 3 years later. My underwear and nighties (pajamas & sleep shirts) will outlive me.

The only thing that was lost is a zipped pouch that contained my favorite earrings, probably 6 pairs of them. All 14K gold or sterling silver.  I had and wore them at my daughter’s house but never found them again. I now have new earrings.

Did I say I hate to move?

Michael is so lucky he doesn’t have to do that.

29 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Painted half the rear wall of my garage with 2 coats of white waterproof paint onto bare brick.

Two reasons: 1  bricks are/were damp and causing problems.  2  makes the inside of the garage brighter with the same lighting.

Allan

Did you mention plans for a workshop?

29 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Did you mention plans for a workshop?

How did you guess?

Double garage so one half will be for the car and the other???

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 3

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. Trying to buy undies in a remote holiday resort proved to be challenging, it caused more than a degree of mirth amongst the friends we were travelling with. Since then we have always ensured that our clothes are distributed between the two cases, with emergency supplies in the hand luggage. Fortunately my stuff did reach our hotel after a couple of days.

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes! One of the biggest reasons I wanted to get this house I'm in , I HATE moving!  Your story is very funny and I think you mentioned your "unmentionables" a half dozen times 😅

Well....if you want to drive a point home....:D 

My 50 pairs of shoes made it, so all is good. I think I sold 25 pair in the garage sale. My problem is like before the pandemic started. There was a 1-day unadvertised sale at Penny’s for ankle boots. $60-80 boots for about $13 a pair. I just happened to go in for something else and saw the signs. I bought three pair for less than I would have paid for one pair, regular price. HOOO-HA. The next day they were back to full price.

Got one cat, Maude, and Lola the dog to the vet for vaccines and parasite control for the cat and second consultation for the dog.  Luis, my helper, treated his cat wounds with iodine when he got back.  One cat, Belle, left to go, but she doesn't jump up on shower curtain rods headed to the space between the ceiling tiles when she senses a trip to the vet is coming.   The vet asked about Maude's eye and Luis told her it's always been that way (cataract and deformed slightly).

Lola is ten years old, spayed, and incontinence is a problem for geriatric spayed female dogs, the vet said.  The vet prescribed more vitamins.  Someone sold all the vets in Jinotega a large supply of vitamins in the shape of tiny dog bones that none of my critters will eat.  C$1500 or roughly $43 US for everything for both animals.  Luis got combat pay for the vet trip, and lunch and pay for doing the cleaning and laundry. 

Tomorrow, Luis goes shopping for his old ladies.   I'll get ten cans of cat food to get the vitamins down the dog and feed the cats one special meal a day for ten days.

Glad we got two of them in to see the vet.  Next week, I'll send Belle in. 

There's been a cat virus going around, and two of the neighbor's cats caught it.  One is the cat who comes over here to eat and hang out a bit, but my girls probably were protected by an early cat vaccine.  Time for a booster, though.  The cats here all tend to be indoor outdoor cats and all interact from time to time with feral cats.

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am in the "images found" thread today... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/arctic-ice-loss-forces-polar-bears-to-use-four-times-as-much-energy-to-survive-study  and am thrilled that I appear in the same article as Paul Nicklen. He is such a wonderful wildlife photographer. I met him a few times when he had a gallery in Soho and he is just as nice as his work is beautiful.

Paulette

Wow, fantastic news Paulette...

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
wording
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. Trying to buy undies in a remote holiday resort proved to be challenging, it caused more than a degree of mirth amongst the friends we were travelling with. Since then we have always ensured that our clothes are distributed between the two cases, with emergency supplies in the hand luggage. Fortunately my stuff did reach our hotel after a couple of days.

It hasn't happened to me but it's always a worry, though I try to remember to put a few pairs of undies in with my camera gear😁  At the moment it's not a problem as my passport thinks I'm in jail - come to think of it I think I'm in jail😉

Carol

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Love Paul Nicklen’s photos, I follow his Instagram, just stunning work.  Paul is in good company with you!

29 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow, fantastic news Paulette...

Carol

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Thrilling news!

53 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Love Paul Nicklen’s photos, I follow his Instagram, just stunning work.  Paul is in good company with you!

Oh, thank you, Michael but he is in a class way beyond me. Have you seen his Ted Talk?  

Paulette

• Love 4

12 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Fabulous news Paulette! I can understand you're thrilled.

I had a beautiful little mourning dove on my windowsill this morning. I heard it calling and it sounded close but I made the mistake of thinking it was in the garden so I moved up to the window without realizing it was right in front of me on the sill. It didn't fly away right away but once it saw me it stopped calling and then decided to leave me. Such a lovely creature.

Paulette

• Love 1

Just had a note through the door, CENSUS is coming 21st March so make sure you are at home. OH! We are!

They are looking for you too Edo.

I believe that this will be the last census of its kind in the UK as they now can trawl the web to get all the information they need.

Allan

The trip to Lady Musgrave Island on the Great Barrier Reef yesterday was out of this world. I am still under the spell.

First we went snorkelling over the reef, then did a glass bottom boat ride where we saw turtles, then a walk on the island where a colony of white-capped noddies are currently nesting.

Wow! Another jewel in the crown of Australia.

Shame I can't upload my GoPro pictures to Alamy, I like them.

https://www.facebook.com/gen.froggie/posts/10222394824253077

For those into marine biology, our guide informed us of an interesting fact... The beche de mer, or sea cucumber, has a fish that lives in its bottom and darts out for prey. If no prey, the fish consoles itself by nibbling the sea slug's internal sexual organs. Charming postal address....

Edited by gvallee

On 24/02/2021 at 23:00, Bryan said:

Betty's story reminds me of the occasion when we to Spain for a holiday and my case failed to arrive. 

My story should be in the bad things thread really! We were picked up by a friend at Barcelona airport some years ago. Just as he started the car a man ran in front of us pointing under the car and saying a cat was under it. While he distracted us someone else opened the boot and took my case. So I had nothing at all for a 4 day stay until we took a trip to M&S.

The thief got some women’s clothing and two packs of hot cross buns....

• Love 1