Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

13 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Carol! Yes, here, in the U.S., once the seller accepts your proposed contract with the price and terms, it usually takes about a month to make the legal transaction.  The slowest part of the process is satisfying the bank that you are able to pay off the loan.  They do A LOT of digging into your financial past.

Got mine done in 2 weeks 3 years ago and I can thank 2 realtor ladies, one on closing the sale of the old in Oklahoma City and the other on closing on my new home in Wichita, for making it happen. Some online signing of papers involved on the sale in Oklahoma City.  Making miracles happen.

Although the hurried packing up of a 4 bedroom house nearly put me in the grave. 7 family members helped the last two days, and we got out at 9 pm with new owners taking possession the next morning. And I had to mail back a garage door opener still in my car! 😂 it was warm (shirt sleeve weather at the end of Feb) when we left, but we drove into a cold front with hail, then sleet and freezing rain. Got into Wichita at midnight on a sheet of ice.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

1st April. 36 years to the day that I left France. There will be bubbly tonight.

A cause for celebration ? I'm wondering if we will ever get back there.....

A bad thing. One arm of my reading glasses sheared off at the hinge point.  Not sure if opticians are open.

A good thing.  I managed to salvage and fit a replacement from an old pair of specs.  Useful to have a supply of tiny screwdrivers and a magnifying glass. 

An even better thing, a few of my friends have been diagnosed with prostate cancer - in each case hopefully treated in time - so I decided ask for a blood test.  It came back normal. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

A cause for celebration ? I'm wondering if we will ever get back there.....

Most definitely. My life took off when I left.

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I think that system of voting is open to all sorts of abuse.

Allan

6 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

If anybody leaves it after dark to vote, torches and a booklet with basic Morse code will also be provided.🤣🤣🤣

Would love to see this working...

Phil

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I think that system of voting is open to all sorts of abuse.

Allan

Fake news is not confined to April 1st  🤫. I can think of a few other relevant dates.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So I can call you Frenchie now? :D

Well, my Twitter account is GenFroggie... Betty, you keep saying you don't 'do' accents, well, you would not understand me. My biggest despair after 36 years...

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Well, my Twitter account is GenFroggie... Betty, you keep saying you don't 'do' accents, well, you would not understand me. My biggest despair after 36 years...

Maybe we could do sign language? I’ll go get a study book right now. 😉
I can’t imagine an accent cross between French and Aussie...

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Maybe we could do sign language? I’ll go get a study book right now. 😉
I can’t imagine an accent cross between French and Aussie...

Especially when you live in Cairns. Not only do they not pronounce the 'r' but when I pointed out that I could not pronounce it correctly, someone lifted his can of beer and said 'like a can'. He pronounced it 'cane'. I said 'but, but it's a can not a cane'... So I live in 'Canes'. Took me months.

Edited by gvallee

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

Especially when you live in Cairns. Not only do they not pronounce the 'r' but when I pointed out that I could not pronounce it correctly, someone lifted his can of beer and said 'like a can'. He pronounced it 'cane'. It said 'but, but it's a can not a cane'... So I live in 'Canes'. Took me months.

Totally hilarious! I would need an interpreter for sure, and it wouldn’t be you!

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I visited Cairns during my trip to Australia back in 1990 and I had such a tough time trying to say the name correctly.  I think I gave up and just avoided saying it at all.

I am also a 'Queenslender' in 'Queenslend'. Lots of people with 'caravanes'. Difficult to get used to it.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Yes, accents vary across Australia. The word 'school' sounds multisyllabic in the way Queenslanders pronounce it, kind of 'schoo-al', with the 'schoo' bit kind of like the Scottish 'oo' sound. It is more like just one syllable here in West Aussie land, or at least in terms of what I have heard and known.

Years ago a Canadian friend asked me, "What sound does a sheep make?" and I said "Baa". He then asked, "Where do you go to get a drink?" and I said "Baa". It was the first time I really thought about the fact that we don't pronounce the "r" on the ends of words.

As a kid I also discovered terminology varies a lot across the continent. I learned that what we call a "flannel" our South Australian relatives called a "face washer". A friend who had come from NSW called what we call "bathers" either "cossie" or "togs", terminologies I had never heard before.

And I thought it was a joke when in old Outback pubs, it's written 'baa' on the door. If you can't understand terminology Sally, what can a poor foreigner do??  😭 I love Aussie slang. I know quite a bit. I love Aussies. Full stop.

3 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Aww that's so nice Gen. It's funny trying to imagine what your own accent sounds like to others. Accents across the world are truly fascinating!

My Dad's family and generation from the Eastern Goldfields of Western Australia have terminologies I know only through them. For example, a bicycle is a "grid". I just looked this up and it turns out to be a word for bicycle across several parts of Australia https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/resources/aus/word/map/search/word/grid/The Riverina/

I imagine travelling regionally you are also hearing a lot of words that are disappearing from the cities or not even known about in the city.

Very interesting. I hope being 'off the grid' does not imply having fallen off our bike. 😂

Have a job to do today for an old client, maybe it’s a general improvement, can only hope. Arrived early so will wander around Moreton-in-Marsh for the next 15  minutes killing time. 

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic