Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

18 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Some time ago I was walking through our local park in Cambridge when I came to a narrow track with tall trees close to the path on both sides when there was a crashing noise high above me in the trees. Not sure what or where whatever was happening was going to fall so stood still. After what seemed an eternity but probably a few seconds a grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) crashed to the ground on it's side right beside me. It lay there and panted two or three times then gave a deep breath out and was still.

Not sure if it missed its footing when leaping from one tree to another or maybe had a heart attack. I felt a bit sorry for it then I thought "That's one less that is going to trouble our beautiful native red squirrels." and walked on.

Allan

r/PerfectTiming - Ninja Squirrels
Ninja squirrels are getting better every day! 
(via)

wim
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Some time ago I was walking through our local park in Cambridge when I came to a narrow track with tall trees close to the path on both sides when there was a crashing noise high above me in the trees. Not sure what or where whatever was happening was going to fall so stood still. After what seemed an eternity but probably a few seconds a grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) crashed to the ground on it's side right beside me. It lay there and panted two or three times then gave a deep breath out and was still.

Not sure if it missed its footing when leaping from one tree to another or maybe had a heart attack. I felt a bit sorry for it then I thought "That's one less that is going to trouble our beautiful native red squirrels." and walked on.

Allan

This is why I don't do my own stunts...

8 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

This is why I don't do my own stunts...

Judging by your avatar you are a ground animal anyway.😉

A bit like me. I don't like heights.

Allan

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Those little furry-tailed guys need to survive too, and they are good at it, like the Herring gulls. The common pigeon tries to survive too.

I kept missing something when I moved to Nicaragua -- no urban squirrels.  The squirrels that do live here are multicolored ones that live out in the country.   Common pigeon/rock doves are all over the place.  English sparrows are all over the place, but no starlings, possibly because Great-tailed Grackles fill that urban niche.  One of the urban parks has sloths, but I've never seen one there, did see a video of people untangling one from power lines before anything bad happened.

• Like 1

Had our 2nd jabs today, so far no adverse reaction.

We have had to travel a fair distance to get  our jabs, despite there being 3 vaccination centres in our town. The people in front of us in the queue had also come from relatively far afield, actually from the place where we had to travel to for our first jabs !  I mentioned this to the (excellent) staff and was told that one person had to travel down from Scotland by train, which cost over £100, despite the fact that she had a vaccination centre across the road from her house in Edinburgh and that travel across the border was otherwise banned.  I guess that we are lucky in having a car to get to these places, others are not so fortunate.

The world moves in mysterious ways....

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Had our 2nd jabs today, so far no adverse reaction.

I had my  second jab a couple of weeks ago at our local health centre. There and back in just over half an hour!  No-one else in there which seemed strange. 

Okay at the time but felt really tired and out of sorts a couple of days later.

• Love 1

I had the Moderna vaccine. Felt okay after the second, but starting running a low grade temperature 24 hours later. It only lasted half a day, and 48 hours after the shot I felt back to normal.

My good news today (after 8 days of waiting) was an “all clear” on a spot being checked for squamous cell carcinoma. I’m relieved!

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Second jab here due in June, Covishield from India.  I plan to take a camera for that.   Costa Rica is having nasty problems from deciding that tourism by air didn't need to be tested, and we've apparently gotten a new variant in Nicaragua that starts with respiratory symptoms.  My British friend had MINSA workers stop by to do a health screening.  I haven't seen MINSA workers on my block, but my landlord, a doctor, and his son, who is the dentist next door to my house, were both masked, and my landlord approved of me also being masked.   Nicaragua is a small gossipy country so when people hear that things are getting worse locally, they mask up.

Nicaragua is still requiring negative Covid 19 tests before crossing the land borders or landing by air in Managua.  Costa Rica decided that people rich enough to fly in don't need a test before landing even though the first case in CR was from tourists who flew in after being exposed to Covid 19.  When CR decided to open up for tourism, around 100 Nicaraguans in one night decided to come home.  They were all tested before being allowed back in or sent to quarantine.  Costa Rica has been having rising cases and had a contest for free trips to Costa Rica.   Anything having to do with tourism in Nicaragua is dead, but coffee farms are doing fine according to my ex-landlord the computer guy. 

There's no Nicaraguan government mandate to wear masks, but the major grocery chains and the banks require them before entering.  And the guys enforcing that are armed at least with batons and the bank guys have guns, so it's not left to 17 year old cashiers to tell people to wear masks.

It was a gorgeous sunny, calm day today.

I bought 5 bags of potting soil at the nursery for the pots I’ll plant my tomatoes in.  A nice customer in the checkout line put them in my basket. (Trolly) A worker at the nursery loaded them in my car for me.

My son-in-law came by on his way home from work and unloaded them from my car.

Now if I could only con someone to take the old soil out of the pots and find a place to dispose of it, I think I can sterilize the pots and refill them, then plant the tomatoes.

It takes a village.
I could buy all the tomatoes I could possibly eat for way less money than I spent today. But they would never taste like home grown, vine ripened. And I wouldn’t have the pleasure of watching them grow, counting the blossoms then the tomatoes. I think I must gaze upon them a half dozen times during any given day.

Unless my milkweed comes back on its own, I don’t think I’ll plant it again. Nurturing the monarch butterflies from tiny caterpillars  to chrysalis, only to watch them burst open and die from maggot-like things the flies injected them with was too heartbreaking for me.

If the milkweed comes back, I’ll allow the monarchs to do their thing outdoors without my bringing the caterpillars indoors to the butterfly cage I bought last year. Unless someone finds the eggs almost as soon as they are deposited and brings them indoors, the flies find them. Survival is only a few percent. I so wanted to help them make a comeback. I just don’t have the backbone, I guess.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 15:48, Cecile Marion said:

I had the Moderna vaccine. Felt okay after the second, but starting running a low grade temperature 24 hours later. It only lasted half a day, and 48 hours after the shot I felt back to normal.

My good news today (after 8 days of waiting) was an “all clear” on a spot being checked for squamous cell carcinoma. I’m relieved!

Really good news. My fair-skinned husband had one on the side of his nose. I tried to get him to go to the doctor but he wouldn’t. Finally he did. It had gone most of the way through by then. The doctor cut it out and had to take skin from the back of his ear to graft onto his nose. The doctor was so good, you’d never have known after a couple of months of healing.

Had my second Covid vaccination this morning, hardly felt the needle going in and as with the first, no side effects. Then bought a pair of really comfortable shoes and trainers (Hotter and Ecco), something I had been putting off for some time. Then met up with my daughters family for lunch in the garden at the Swan in Swinbrook. As we were running a little late my wife was horrified when I pulled off the A40 to quickly photograph an XR protest at the Eynsham traffic lights. We still arrived at the Swan with a minute to spare and beat my daughters family there by 4 minutes. We avoided a few light showers, was a great day.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Had my second Covid vaccination this morning, hardly felt the needle going in and as with the first, no side effects. Then bought a pair of really comfortable shoes and trainers (Hotter and Ecco), something I had been putting off for some time. Then met up with my daughters family for lunch in the garden at the Swan in Swinbrook. As we were running a little late my wife was horrified when I pulled off the A40 to quickly photograph an XR protest at the Eynsham traffic lights. We still arrived at the Swan with a minute to spare and beat my daughters family there by 4 minutes. We avoided a few light showers, was a great day.

😁 I’m with your wife. I abhor being late. You weren’t, but she didn’t know that when you pulled off. I was married to a man who was always late. When he needed to be in the shower, then dressing, he’d still be on the couch napping. How do these polar opposites find each other? 
Questions that need asked.

Are you an early bird or night owl?

Do you hang the clothes you take off on door knobs and bedposts?

Is it important for you to be on time?

Are you a picky eater?

Do you make crude noises that the results clear a room?

Will you, for crying out loud, stop and ask directions when you’re lost?!!

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It was a gorgeous sunny, calm day today.

I bought 5 bags of potting soil at the nursery for the pots I’ll plant my tomatoes in.  A nice customer in the checkout line put them in my basket. (Trolly) A worker at the nursery loaded them in my car for me.

My son-in-law came by on his way home from work and unloaded them from my car.

Now if I could only con someone to take the old soil out of the pots and find a place to dispose of it, I think I can sterilize the pots and refill them, then plant the tomatoes.

It takes a village.
I could buy all the tomatoes I could possibly eat for way less money than I spent today. But they would never taste like home grown, vine ripened. And I wouldn’t have the pleasure of watching them grow, counting the blossoms then the tomatoes. I think I must gaze upon them a half dozen times during any given day.

Yes, of all the crops that we grow, I find tomatoes is the one  where home grown is so much nicer than shop bought. Our grandson eats them off the plants like sweets.

Re the growing medium, I'm starting to feel bad about using peat based stuff. At home I make leaf mould and garden compost and use those to bulk out the bought material, along with a sprinkle of sharp sand and a dose of blood fish and bone. At the end of the year it all goes as a mulch on the garden. At the allotment I have access to good soil and well rotted stable manure, so not such a problem. In the past I've used a proprietary tomato feed, but I might look out for seaweed extract this year. There is a theory that the taste of the tomato is entirely dependent upon how you feed it, but I reckon that the variety is also important.

A few years ago I discovered the outdoor tomato Tumbler or Tumbling Tom which will grow in a large hanging basket, or tumble over the sides of large container. Most toms require protection from glass in our climate, but Tumbler will live outside once the frosts have passed. In the greenhouse Gardener's Delight reigns supreme.

Mustn't forget the basil as accompaniment......... 

22 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yes, of all the crops that we grow, I find tomatoes is the one  where home grown is so much nicer than shop bought. Our grandson eats them off the plants like sweets.

Re the growing medium, I'm starting to feel bad about using peat based stuff. At home I make leaf mould and garden compost and use those to bulk out the bought material, along with a sprinkle of sharp sand and a dose of blood fish and bone. At the end of the year it all goes as a mulch on the garden. At the allotment I have access to good soil and well rotted stable manure, so not such a problem. In the past I've used a proprietary tomato feed, but I might look out for seaweed extract this year. There is a theory that the taste of the tomato is entirely dependent upon how you feed it, but I reckon that the variety is also important.

A few years ago I discovered the outdoor tomato Tumbler or Tumbling Tom which will grow in a large hanging basket, or tumble over the sides of large container. Most toms require protection from glass in our climate, but Tumbler will live outside once the frosts have passed. In the greenhouse Gardener's Delight reigns supreme.

Mustn't forget the basil as accompaniment......... 

My idea of heaven is a meal of fresh corn on the cob, sliced okra fried with a cornmeal coating, garden tomatoes, and a pan of homemade cornbread with butter slathered on. Iced tea. A good southern cooking meal, no meat needed. But southern fried chicken wouldn’t be turned down. 😊

Trouble is, do do justice for the vegetables, I’d eliminate the chicken. I can’t hold as much food as I used to.

Okra ready to dredge in a combo of mostly cornmeal with a little flour.

AH374M.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

I bought a "NY Deli pastrami sandwich" yesterday at M&S. It wasn't a bad sandwich, but it had no taste of pastrami . . . and they put a slice of cheese on it.  I guess no one consults the Torah about kosher rules at M&S. I can't think of any non-Jewish deli in NYC that does pastrami. M&S is no more authentic when it comes to Italian, Indian, or Mexican. But their food is fresh and tasty. 😋

• Like 2

Sat in the office in front of the computer processing images. Only wind "BURP" sorry pardon. No rain.

Allan

• Like 1

I took my little cart to the Union Square Greenmarket today and bought impatiens for our garden. It's an overcast day with rain threatened but I got everything in before 1pm and no rain. My bad foot hurt afterwards from the unaccustomed movement but that will probably be actually good for it. I have time this afternoon to ice it and book group by Zoom before dinner. What a nice day!

Paulette

When I lived in London I was very impressed by the very polite way everyone would queue. Here in NYC you have to keep an eye out for people "jumping the line". I had to teach that to a visiting California friend after she let a whole family get ahead of her. I was shy in California but I soon learned better in NYC. Our states can be different in all sorts of ways.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

My British friend and I are still paying our helper full price for the dog walking even though he's cut back to once a day but has decided to do shopping for us for free to make up for that.   She and I sent him off to buy groceries and I asked him to check Bombazo, a largish Nicaraguan chain department store, for a whirly blade coffee and spice grinder.  He found one there, brand name Royal, made in China.

The other good news is my calico cat Belle's skin infection cleared up and Lola the dog hasn't had incontinence since getting a UTI treated.  I'm feeding the cats a mix of canned cat food and kibble -- Felix and Purina Cat Chow -- since I suspect that pure kibble may not have everything cats need. 

Edited by MizBrown

I finally got my taxes in to my CPA. I rewarded myself with a bowl of black walnut ice cream, my favorite flavor. I drenched it in chocolate syrup. I keep losing tiny bits of weight, so my fat cells thanked me.

And John Mitchell found where my Crepe Myrtle flowering shrub was published in a garden magazine. He sent me the link. That was a thrill.

• Love 1

On 03/05/2021 at 11:03, Ed Rooney said:

I bought a "NY Deli pastrami sandwich" yesterday at M&S. It wasn't a bad sandwich, but it had no taste of pastrami . . . and they put a slice of cheese on it.  I guess no one consults the Torah about kosher rules at M&S. I can't think of any non-Jewish deli in NYC that does pastrami. M&S is no more authentic when it comes to Italian, Indian, or Mexican. But their food is fresh and tasty. 😋

There was a tiny little deli in Ponca City where we raised our kids. I went in there one day and ordered a Reuben sandwich from this short, older, plump, swarthy guy who spoke so New Yorky (is that a word?) I could barely understand him. An Italian accent crossed with New York City was something else.

That was the best Reuben I ever ate. It was so thick with meat I could barely open my mouth wide enough. I’ve judged all Ruebens by his, and I’ve never found another to compare, much to my dismay.
He must’ve gotten fed up with NYC and decided to get in the slow lane. Or he was hiding from the mafia. 😉 I was thrilled to have him there. Even though we talked with sign language. He got it when I pointed at my mouth and rubbed my belly.

• Alamy locked this topic