Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

One thing that has come out of this 'New Contract' situation is that it has made me think just a bit more more about what I am doing. I have tried to not have too much of a knee-jerk reaction and look at the way forward. One thing I have decided to do is concentrate a bit more on completing my photographic distinctions while, at my age, I can still lift and handhold a camera. I'm starting to feel good about getting back to this, and regarding my 'small' business, I can simply just retire. I will let things ride for a while just to see if there are any outcomes/reactions (doubt it!) and take it from there. 😉

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

One thing that has come out of this 'New Contract' situation is that it has made me think just a bit more more about what I am doing. I have tried to not have too much of a knee-jerk reaction and look at the way forward. One thing I have decided to do is concentrate a bit more on completing my photographic distinctions while, at my age, I can still lift and handhold a camera. I'm starting to feel good about getting back to this, and regarding my 'small' business, I can simply just retire. I will let things ride for a while just to see if there are any outcomes/reactions (doubt it!) and take it from there. 😉

I expect AP/Alamy know exactly what they are doing, and the new contract is accept or go.

55 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I expect AP/Alamy know exactly what they are doing, and the new contract is accept or go.

I tend to agree with you here. The fallout will be interesting but will we ever know. Disappointing, but one thing less to worry about. Still looking forward to getting stuck into my distinctions! 

Finished with the last of my two medical tests. The first one from a couple of weeks ago was good news. The second one, this morning, shows a condition, but seemingly manageable. A biopsy was taken to be on the safe side.

Happy to have them done. I came home, brewed a pot of coffee and had the two cups I had sorely missed.

• Love 4

I live above a shop and thought that was ideal when I first moved in. No noise, I thought. Then it became fashionable for music to be everywhere! A shoe store moved in and drove me crazy with the music. I dealt with the shop owner and our landlord and refrained from reporting him to the police because there are huge fines for noise violations. It was a struggle but In the end the owner realized I really had a problem and he fixed it. So we became friends. He grew up on a kibbutz in Israel and his shoe business had three locations. He has three kids and seemed to be working 12-14 hours a day. His Bleecker Street location has survived with the others closing during  the pandemic. He was outside the store today and we chatted for the first time in over a year. He’s working with his landlord on a deal that will let him keep on. Most stores on that block have folded. He says we have known each other 20 years. How time flies! So nice to see some businesses coming through. New York has been hit hard but we are supposed to be folks who survive. I hope so.

Paulette

• Love 5

14 hours ago, PAL Media said:

Achieved 10,000+ images

I don't know why I bothered...

Well done!

How many have been licensed?

(Not your total, but how many individual images.)

wim

• Like 1

Went through everything I have up on Alamy (FB keyword) and picked what I thought were the better ones,  and ended up with around 294, which I'll hold onto until after Alamy and I part ways on June 30.   So, that's done. 

• Like 1

Getting ready for an interesting trip, a 2 hour plus drive to a coastal area of England I should enjoy. Some time will be spent photographing, the rest visiting some of my favourite area's. As I will have a bag slung over my shoulder most of the day, just minimising what I will carry. Out goes the 13" MBP, in goes the 11" MBA, it's so light. Out with many of my spare batteries and flashgun. Fuelled up last night, the C1 I drive is very economical. Although the weather doesn't look good, it should hopefully be acceptable.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 18:06, NYCat said:

I live above a shop and thought that was ideal when I first moved in. No noise, I thought. Then it became fashionable for music to be everywhere! A shoe store moved in and drove me crazy with the music. I dealt with the shop owner and our landlord and refrained from reporting him to the police because there are huge fines for noise violations. It was a struggle but In the end the owner realized I really had a problem and he fixed it. So we became friends. He grew up on a kibbutz in Israel and his shoe business had three locations. He has three kids and seemed to be working 12-14 hours a day. His Bleecker Street location has survived with the others closing during  the pandemic. He was outside the store today and we chatted for the first time in over a year. He’s working with his landlord on a deal that will let him keep on. Most stores on that block have folded. He says we have known each other 20 years. How time flies! So nice to see some businesses coming through. New York has been hit hard but we are supposed to be folks who survive. I hope so.

Paulette

Is Kesté still open, Paulette? That's Neapolitan slang meaning "this is it!" I think the guitar store has closed. 

No more Keste. I think you are right about the guitar store. New York is crippled. I'm afraid to use the subway. In order to make the homeless shelters safer they put up a lot of the homeless in hotels and most of them are in the garment or theater district. Of course they don't stay in their rooms and most are homeless for a reason. The attacks on Asian women have been largely from that population. Very grim here with the police defunded by a billion dollars and very disheartened. Retiring as fast as they can and telling their kids not to become cops. I guess this should be in the bad things thread.

Paulette

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

No more Keste. I think you are right about the guitar store. New York is crippled. I'm afraid to use the subway. In order to make the homeless shelters safer they put up a lot of the homeless in hotels and most of them are in the garment or theater district. Of course they don't stay in their rooms and most are homeless for a reason. The attacks on Asian women have been largely from that population. Very grim here with the police defunded by a billion dollars and very disheartened. Retiring as fast as they can and telling their kids not to become cops. I guess this should be in the bad things thread.

Paulette

Most disheartening, Paulette.  😒

Today was the day of the wheelbarrow.

Wheelbarrow 1

Firstly me and my mate decided that there wasn't enough metal remaining to re-attach the tray to the damaged chassis using our limited welding skills. Lateral thinking resulted in drilled holes and bolts with large washers. Worked a treat.

Wheelbarrow 2

And so the allotment where somebody had overloaded one of the barrows and badly distorted both the tray and the pressed steel supports, to the extent that the wheel would not turn. A second barrow, with a corroded tray and disintegrating chassis, was found to have supports in good condition. Voila, a bit of metal bashing and one good working barrow emerged, the remains of the other given to the scrap man. 

Two wheelbarrows live to fight another day.

More fun than messing around with Lightroom.....

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

I found good dried apples on Amazon, delivered in a day. Cooked them soft in water, later seasoned with butter, white and brown sugar, cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg.

Then I made fried apple pies yesterday while my son was here. He arrived during the process and ate the first, hot out of the skillet. He’s watching his diet to stay slim, but gobbled down three of them in short order.

I called my daughter, who really watches her diet, as in very few carbs. She came over and ate two. Ain’t sayin’ how many I ate. One traveled with my son to Oklahoma to his daughter today. These are about 6” round crusts, filled with the apple filling, folded over, sealing edges, and fried in a half inch or so of canola oil.

And, with lots of help from MDM and Mark Chapman, this evening I got the free 2012 Nik collection working on my new computer. Anyone who wants to try it, read my iMac thread. Not sure if it works the same on PCs.

Oh, and rather tired from all the cooking yesterday, and having company, I had a delicious nap this rainy afternoon. 😴

Edited by Betty LaRue

We’ve escaped to North Wales for a few days! The sun came out and we spent today at one of our favourite places, Portmeirion.

This image weirdly makes it look like a model village (which it isn’t) because the chess board is huge! 

img_8749.jpg?w=520&h=345&crop=1

• Love 4

4 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We’ve escaped to North Wales for a few days! The sun came out and we spent today at one of our favourite places, Portmeirion.

This image weirdly makes it look like a model village (which it isn’t) because the chess board is huge! 

img_8749.jpg?w=520&h=345&crop=1

But did you get out?

The Arrival

wim

• Love 1

I found out why my pharmacy never sends me the promised text letting me know when my prescription is ready for pick up. They had two phone numbers down. One was correct, the other off by one number, mistake by them. Apparently, they never chose the correct one to text. Why they had two in the first place, heaven knows.

Fixed now, and I actually received a text saying I have a medication ready. Glory be.

edited to add:

I figured out why there were two numbers. I had inquired about why I was not getting the texts in the past. I was asked what my phone number was. So they put down the correct one without telling me the first number was wrong. Then....you guessed it. They (he(she) didn’t delete the wrong one. Duh.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic