Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

I made it to Austria!! Had to pay a small fortune for a private PCR Covid test, had to sort out a bunch of paperwork and had some minor interrogation at both sides of the border, but they let me in! Now I get to quarantine here and when I get back to the UK, yay 🙃

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

My son, Jeff and I have been discussing the merits of an inversion table to help my back. He said he would buy one for me. Thing is, we didn’t know if it would help.  Yesterday, I had a dental appointment. I thought it was for a crown but it was for cleaning, the crown is at the end of the month.

I digress.

The dental assistant leaned my chair way back, with my head lower than my legs. I felt a slight painful twinge when I felt my back stretch out, then it was gone. 2 seconds. I was in this position for at least an hour, because when she finished, I had to wait for the dentist to come take a peek.

When I left the dentist’s, my back was 95% pain-free. That lasted until noon today, then what I felt gradually come back was still only 50% of my worst. That answered the question of whether it would help my pain. People with bad backs often just use these for a few minutes at a time, depending on the angle. You must start at a slight angle for a month before increasing.

I sent Jeff links to the two Teeter inversion tables I prefer, either will do. 
I have a 5 foot ladder with large strong plastic steps that when folded makes a solid front. I laid the feet on the bottom step in my garage. The angle is maybe 20-30%. I reclined on it for 10 minutes awhile ago, and again, got relief. It’s not the most comfortable way to go and I had difficulty getting up. I had to roll off! 😁 It’ll do until the real thing comes. I’ll just try not to splat my nose on the cold, concrete floor when I do my roll. 😂  I have a large finished basement, so I have room for it.

I might not have to have surgery after all. I was a hair’s width away from making an appointment with my neurosurgeon to discuss surgery. Never ending pain can wear one down and eventually make one cry Uncle.

• Like 2

Good to hear your news Betty.

My "good thing" today was a drive from Lincoln to Boston to meet up with my old compadre Mick (MDM) from the old Cambridge Alamy group. Spent an enjoyable couple of hours chatting about all things that were going on in our lives and a bit about Alamy. Coffees all round and thanks for paying Mick I will catch you next time round.

Allan

• Love 5

On 03/06/2021 at 06:39, Betty LaRue said:

My son, Jeff and I have been discussing the merits of an inversion table to help my back. He said he would buy one for me. Thing is, we didn’t know if it would help.  Yesterday, I had a dental appointment. I thought it was for a crown but it was for cleaning, the crown is at the end of the month.

I digress.

The dental assistant leaned my chair way back, with my head lower than my legs. I felt a slight painful twinge when I felt my back stretch out, then it was gone. 2 seconds. I was in this position for at least an hour, because when she finished, I had to wait for the dentist to come take a peek.

When I left the dentist’s, my back was 95% pain-free. That lasted until noon today, then what I felt gradually come back was still only 50% of my worst. That answered the question of whether it would help my pain. People with bad backs often just use these for a few minutes at a time, depending on the angle. You must start at a slight angle for a month before increasing.

I sent Jeff links to the two Teeter inversion tables I prefer, either will do. 
I have a 5 foot ladder with large strong plastic steps that when folded makes a solid front. I laid the feet on the bottom step in my garage. The angle is maybe 20-30%. I reclined on it for 10 minutes awhile ago, and again, got relief. It’s not the most comfortable way to go and I had difficulty getting up. I had to roll off! 😁 It’ll do until the real thing comes. I’ll just try not to splat my nose on the cold, concrete floor when I do my roll. 😂  I have a large finished basement, so I have room for it.

I might not have to have surgery after all. I was a hair’s width away from making an appointment with my neurosurgeon to discuss surgery. Never ending pain can wear one down and eventually make one cry Uncle.

I have an inversion table and certainly recommend giving one a try.

I bought mine second hand and it works well.

I don't have a bad back per se, but I can be a terrible sloucher and find the need to stretch every now and then.  The inversion table lets my back and neck stretch gently under my own weight. I only stay inverted for a few seconds (maybe 10 to 15), but it works well for me. I feel taller afterwards.

I recommend when you first use it to go slow and lay flat before tipping all the way over. The same when you are returning to upright. If you go too fast, it will make you feel unwell and possibly dizzy too. Best of luck with it. Hopefully you can avoid surgery.

• Love 1

This morning I spent a relaxing few hours wandering around a local village photographing the better submissions in the annual scarecrow festival. It was the festivals first day, and not all were on display. Personally, I thought this years festival, although well organised, wasn't quite as good as last years. I ended up walking 8.6 km around the village. Had some interesting chats with a few of the locals. One cottage close to where my wife's stepfathers mother used to live always had very good scarecrow displays, and this years was no exception. I was able to talk to the person who created the scarecrow display, only to find hers wasn't an official entry. Officially, politics isn't permitted in the displays, and she described herself as a radical.  It was so hot I had to down a cool pint outside the local pub before leaving. Overall, a very interesting morning.

• Love 1

Spent this afternoon playing bowls with some nice people and sitting chatting under the sun. Nice relaxing afternoon and I am getting some good practice in.

Allan

Walked my dog myself this morning and stopped by a friend's hotel to bump elbows with her.  She wondered when I was applying for citizenship.  Hadn't talked any with her since maybe Spring 2020.  She's FSLN, spent 17 years in Sweden and likes social democracy better than either of the extremes.   Have been discussing Nicaraguan politics with a German net friend in a more restricted non-public hierarchy.  Yesterday or day before that, I had some Trump supporter try to get me suspended on Twitter for suggesting that she should see how telling the cops injured in the January 6 mess just how non-violent that was would work out.  I emailed Twitter and they wrote back and apologized.  (I did drop my priors in the s.f. biz, knowing that even minor writers draw more traffic than whiny Trump supporters).  And got the domain hijacker sorted and not linked to any sites that have my bio-info available.

One thing I did recently was look at the Spanish agency's Nicaraguan photos with their search feature and then at a Mexican agency that is also an Alamy distributor.  The Spanish site mopped up all the Nicaragua as political disaster and tourist destination photos.  The Mexican agency didn't have those photos, but photos from people with Spanish surnames who saw different things and less exotically poor things in Nicaragua, which made it look like the better parts of Mexico, probably more like Spain. 

A friend wants me to start writing again.  I warned her that when I was in writing mode, I was even crankier than I was in other modes.   A novel is calling.  Don't know if I'm too old or not.  One of the things about this foray into photography was realizing how much my life would have been different if I'd done it earlier and how photography more than some other fields was more open to women and which, on the Alamy forums, had some significantly good women photographers who were generous to other women photographers. 

Being able to walk my dog myself after the knee damage, even with a cane, is huge.   I'll keep my helper until his third old lady employer comes back and then reduce time and wages.  If  I don't pay him for walking the dog, that's worth almost what I was hoping to be paid from Alamy at the low end. 

• Like 1

We cycled through to the coast and enjoyed sharing a very indulgent piece of carrot cake and a latte coffee, a 20 mile round trip.

The sun shone,  but following the new contract here, I've lost interest in carting my bag of lenses and a6500 around,  so just carried the tiny RX100 V.   

Took a lovely shot of the Mrs looking happy and gorgeous.  I tell my mates that, in our house, I am the equivalent of the Picture of Dorian Gray, getting older and more haggard, while she remains an incredibly youthful looking septuagenarian.

• Like 4

On the occasion of our ride to the coast mentioned above, I took a single stock worthy photo -  old habits die hard.

Taken on the 6th sold on the 8th, not news, and not big bucks either,  low $$.

Probably my fastest ever turnaround at Alamy, some slight encouragement which is desperately needed re the new contract and otherwise a complete dearth of sales for June to date.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Bryan said:

On the occasion of our ride to the coast mentioned above, I took a single stock worthy photo -  old habits die hard.

Taken on the 6th sold on the 8th, not news, and not big bucks either,  low $$.

Probably my fastest ever turnaround at Alamy, some slight encouragement which is desperately needed re the new contract and otherwise a complete dearth of sales for June to date.

We must be distantly related.  I loaded a picture up to a well known British wall art site yesterday and it had sold to someone in San Diego last night. Just low $$ but a boost to the ego.

Allan

ALSO had a haircut.

ITMA

• Love 1

I live a half a block from the Joffrey Ballet School and this morning, for the first time in a LONG time, I found myself following a gaggle of bunheads with their sweet duck walks on their way to class. Life resumes!

Paulette

On 05/06/2021 at 18:17, Ed Rooney said:

Allan, is bowls the same game as bocce in Italy?

Edo I am sorry for the delay in answering your question. I did write a reply but must have left the page before saving it so here goes again.

I had to look up bocce to see how they play it and the straight answer is no it is not the same. In Italy they are allowed to throw the balls, (we call them "woods"), whereas we can only actually bowl them along the ground.(Green). There are some similar rules but I do not know them fully. I have found it to be useful exercise and a good place to make new friends in this area.

Allan

• Love 2

My inversion table came yesterday, delivered to my front porch. There was no one to bring it in for me, and I feared porch pirates if I left it too long. It’s a very heavy box. I did finally manage to pull, tug, wrestle it over the door sill, so it sits on my entry tile, where it will be until someone bigger and burlier than I can take it downstairs, unbox it and put it together. 

At least I have it, and that’s good!

And yes, you’d be surprised at what people steal, size/weight seems to be no barrier. There are usually two people doing it together.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My inversion table came yesterday, delivered to my front porch. There was no one to bring it in for me, and I feared porch pirates if I left it too long. It’s a very heavy box. I did finally manage to pull, tug, wrestle it over the door sill, so it sits on my entry tile, where it will be until someone bigger and burlier than I can take it downstairs, unbox it and put it together. 

At least I have it, and that’s good!

And yes, you’d be surprised at what people steal, size/weight seems to be no barrier. There are usually two people doing it together.

Unbox it at the door and carry the smaller parts downstairs one at a time.

• Like 1

So I've had quite a few weeks off from uploading, what with broken cameras, family holidays and the like... But today I've edited and uploaded 84 pictures. What else to do during quarantine when it's sunny outside!! 🙃 Shoulders ache, neck aches, but happy. Time for a celebratory G&T 🥃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve F said:

So I've had quite a few weeks off from uploading, what with broken cameras, family holidays and the like... But today I've edited and uploaded 84 pictures. What else to do during quarantine when it's sunny outside!! 🙃 Shoulders ache, neck aches, but happy. Time for a celebratory G&T 🥃

Steve, you obviously know it's World Gin Day.

What is World Gin Day?

Simple, it’s a day for everyone and anyone (over the legal drinking age of course…!) to celebrate and enjoy gin! Whether you’re already a fan of the juniper spirit, or looking for an intro, World Gin Day is the perfect opportunity to get involved.

When?

World Gin Day is always the second Saturday in June. This means the date moves around a little year on year (see date list below), but to make the most of the day we like to give you the Sunday to recover….

• Love 1

1 minute ago, sb photos said:

Steve, you obviously know it's World Gin Day.

What is World Gin Day?

Simple, it’s a day for everyone and anyone (over the legal drinking age of course…!) to celebrate and enjoy gin! Whether you’re already a fan of the juniper spirit, or looking for an intro, World Gin Day is the perfect opportunity to get involved.

When?

World Gin Day is always the second Saturday in June. This means the date moves around a little year on year (see date list below), but to make the most of the day we like to give you the Sunday to recover….

Steve, firstly, damn, World Gin Day is actually a thing! And secondly, it is indeed today. No, I had no idea. Cool, official permission to get lightly sozzled... 😎

Sorry gents I won't be joining you. I tried gin along with a lot of the other liqueurs when I was a lot younger and could not stand the taste. Not getting at Gin specifically as I did not like some others either.

My favs at the time were a single malt whisky (no names), a rum (nn), and a brandy (nn).

Unfortunately things change with age and these days any alcohol in my system gives me migraines so they are not consumed. Just soft drinks, tea, coffee and the best water.

Allan

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Steve, firstly, damn, World Gin Day is actually a thing! And secondly, it is indeed today. No, I had no idea. Cool, official permission to get lightly sozzled... 😎

As it's World Gin Day I shall finish off a bottle of Hendricks Gin that was left over from Xmas.

• Love 1

Just checked over camera's and backpack contents before trip into London. This time I'll be driving in, hopefully I sussed a small car park or better on street parking so I won't be restricted to 6 hours at the car park. Looking forward to the day. Yesterday was a nice trip into the Cotswolds, but that was work.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic