Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

First time since god knows when finally got my hair cut, (at my age that is hair cut as in singular). No longer look like a mad scientist.

I'm photographing Tim Lombard tomorrow - you should see his hair 🤣

Went for a drive up into the Wolds this morning and took some photos. Awaiting processing as I write this but there is no rush as there are a lot of my images waiting on QC.

Allan

On 11/05/2021 at 02:41, gvallee said:

I just spent a few days 'out bush' around a pretty lagoon full of birdlife. The smell of campfires drifting at Happy Hour time was magical. So was the night sky. And no comms! The freedom of not having my nose glued to my tablet.

here, here and here

Never having enough of adventure, we signed up for a unique ride tomorrow morning: a ride in a replica of an old Cobb & Co. coach, the only galloping ride in Australia over old routes in the Outback. We can choose to travel on the roof near the driver and I hope I will be able to do. I was excited until Robert showed me an article about that very same ride a few years back.... I hope this entry can stay in the 'good thing' thread tomorrow....

Article

I would want the roof for unencumbered photo ops, also. But will you be sitting on a flat surface with nothing to hang on to? That is a bit worrying. Coaches can rock.  Maybe the ride is over now and you both are fine.

I made a great tuna fish salad sandwich and had potato chips (crisps) with it for lunch. I put diced onions, diced boiled eggs and sweet relish in it.  Mixed with a combo of Mayo and horseradish sauce.😋

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I would want the roof for unencumbered photo ops, also. But will you be sitting on a flat surface with nothing to hang on to? That is a bit worrying. Coaches can rock.  Maybe the ride is over now and you both are fine.

We're back in one piece. The ride was a little disappointing. I didn't get chosen for the front top seat, instead I was on one of the 3 seats facing backwards at the back.

We rode at a trot and gallop through the savannah on an old mail dirt route. 5 horses. From the top facing backwards, it was only flying dust. Passengers and cameras were covered. It was very bumpy and we sometimes had to hold on to the sides for dear life. With the jolts, it was very difficult to take any picture. The two passengers next to me had phones they were raising and using the selfie option to shoot facing forwards. I did not have such an option. Robert was inside and saw nothing. 

If photography was not successful, it did give me an appreciation of what long distance passengers went through in past times. Travelling for hours on end, in all weather, rain or shine, freezing or baking hot, night or day, they had to be resilient. My back was killing me after 45 minutes.

• Love 2

7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

We're back in one piece. The ride was a little disappointing. I didn't get chosen for the front top seat, instead I was on one of the 3 seats facing backwards at the back.

We rode at a trot and gallop through the savannah on an old mail dirt route. 5 horses. From the top facing backwards, it was only flying dust. Passengers and cameras were covered. It was very bumpy and we sometimes had to hold on to the sides for dear life. With the jolts, it was very difficult to take any picture. The two passengers next to me had phones they were raising and using the selfie option to shoot facing forwards. I did not have such an option. Robert was inside and saw nothing. 

If photography was not successful, it did give me an appreciation of what long distance passengers went through in past times. Travelling for hours on end, in all weather, rain or shine, freezing or baking hot, night or day, they had to be resilient. My back was killing me after 45 minutes.

Yikes. Well...we all plan something that turns out very differently from what we expect. So sorry it was a waste of time and resources. We’re you covered in dirt when it was over? Just think...if it had rained, everyone would have looked like mud wrestlers at the end and what great photo ops!

• Love 1

Just now, Betty LaRue said:

Yikes. Well...we all plan something that turns out very differently from what we expect. So sorry it was a waste of time and resources. We’re you covered in dirt when it was over? Just think...if it had rained, everyone would have looked like mud wrestlers at the end and what great photo ops!

Even though the photographic side of it was a failure, I don't consider it a waste of time. It was a unique experience I guess, a ride back in time in a Cobb & Co carriage. I am fascinated by Australiana and it was very much part of it. You're right with mud Betty!! I don't want to think about it. Yes I was completely covered in dust. During the ride, I was trying to hide my camera underneath my tshirt. Not easy while hanging on for dear life.

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

I don't consider it a waste of time. It was a unique experience

Tell that to your back! 😂 it sure had an unique experience!

I do know what you mean, though. I regret the time I wanted to go white water rafting (maybe the Rogue River) years ago. I had never done it, and we passed a sign advertising it either in Montana or Wyoming, I think. My husband said no way, he’s sit on the bank and watch me go by.
I didn’t go. It was an experience I wanted to share. I should have gone and let him stew. I was much more daring than he was. I paid to go up in a helicopter, he refused. He didn’t trust anything without wings.
Your fortunate to have a mate who’s all in. Go get ‘em. You’re living your dream.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Tell that to your back! 😂 it sure had an unique experience!

I do know what you mean, though. I regret the time I wanted to go white water rafting (maybe the Rogue River) years ago. I had never done it, and we passed a sign advertising it either in Montana or Wyoming, I think. My husband said no way, he’s sit on the bank and watch me go by.
I didn’t go. It was an experience I wanted to share. I should have gone and let him stew. I was much more daring than he was. I paid to go up in a helicopter, he refused. He didn’t trust anything without wings.
Your fortunate to have a mate who’s all in. Go get ‘em. You’re living your dream.

Yes I am very fortunate, we are well matched, enjoying the same things, sharing a spirit of adventure. We'd better, otherwise we would kill each other: we've been together 24/7 in a restricted space for 2 years now! 

He always has wonderful birthday presents for me, I never know what to expect: one was aerobatics in a biplane, another one was dragsters on a circuit. Living the dream and life to the full!

I have one regret, I never got to do skydiving. My knees would not agree to that these days.

• Love 1

I had a problem.  I had a large plastic pot I bought to plant a tomato plant in. But it had no drainage holes. I asked my son-in-law if he could drill holes in it for me, but he forgot, was busy.
I thought about it this evening, then got a large flat screwdriver. I heated it up on the stove then applied it to the bottom. It melted right through. A few twists and I had a round hole. I put quite a few in.

It’s full of soil now and a tomato plant is in it. Draining well.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I heated it up on the stove then applied it to the bottom

You can also use a cheap soldering iron -- I've used one to add side holes to pots I was using for orchids.   But what you did worked and you didn't have to buy anything.

My worst time in the air was the helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon. I hated the motion and sat facing straight forward trying not to look at anything and feeling very queasy! Very glad when it was over.

My very best time in the air was a dawn balloon ride in Cappadocia. Almost up to taking off I was sure I wouldn’t go but once we were up it was absolutely amazing. We flew high but also really low, weaving through the incredible rock formations in Love Valley. The pilot picked some walnuts from the top of a tree as we sailed past! 

hot-air-balloon-flying-low-through-a-val

• Like 3

Well today, for the first time ever, I opened the newspaper this morning and was surprised to see one of my images. I sell fairly regularly to the British daily’s but the sales are reported long after the image is used and I never see the pictures in print. it might not be a big deal to some but it gave me a bit of a buzz. 

As an added bonus, it’s a shot of an open tin of Farrow and Ball paint I’d been using. Going by normal newspaper prices I might just about recoup a third of the cost of the tin! 😃

• Love 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Well today, for the first time ever, I opened the newspaper this morning and was surprised to see one of my images. I sell fairly regularly to the British daily’s but the sales are reported long after the image is used and I never see the pictures in print. it might not be a big deal to some but it gave me a bit of a buzz. 

As an added bonus, it’s a shot of an open tin of Farrow and Ball paint I’d been using. Going by normal newspaper prices I might just about recoup a third of the cost of the tin! 😃

I know the feeling....looking at an image in the Wall Street Journal and thinking "I have one like that" and then seeing my name. Nice.

Paulette

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Just read an article in today's paper, a double page and there's a tin of F & B in top r/h corner, guessing that's yours😄 great feeling for you ....

Carol

17 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Just read an article in today's paper, a double page and there's a tin of F & B in top r/h corner, guessing that's yours😄 great feeling for you ....

Carol

Hi Carol,

mine was in the Telegraph. They cut the tin and brushes from this image

a-tin-of-farrow-and-ball-down-pipe-gray-

Edited by Steve Hyde

5 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hi Carol,

mine was in the Telegraph. They cut the tin and brushes from this image

a-tin-of-farrow-and-ball-down-pipe-gray-

Ah ok Steve, no it was a different paper and different image, your image is much clearer and better though, looks like F & B a popular subject today, great you saw it anyway 😁

Carol

On 12/05/2021 at 17:40, Ed Rooney said:

A good thing that happened today? Give me a minute -- I'm thinking. 🤔

HEY! Edo! You have had more than a minute.

Allan

Took a free bus ride into Lincoln City this afternoon and took 34 photos. May not use them all but will start processing tomorrow. Well it is supposed to be a dull cloudy day. Did I not say that today was bright and sunny? 

Allan