Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

Getting my first jab today - quite surprised as wasn't expecting to be done for quite a while as I have no underlying health conditions that I know of but it looks like they are getting around to doing us youngsters now😁  Hoping for some good light at Batchwood Hall later this afternoon, but I think I will struggle with shooting me being shot in the arm😁

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Getting my first jab today - quite surprised as wasn't expecting to be done for quite a while as I have no underlying health conditions that I know of but it looks like they are getting around to doing us youngsters now😁  Hoping for some good light at Batchwood Hall later this afternoon, but I think I will struggle with shooting me being shot in the arm😁

 

Carol

I think they are putting the invites out in group 5 now to make sure the appointments diaries stay full for that tricky expensive vaccine that rots. OH has just gone off for hers but I'm in group 7 so another 6 weeks for me, I reckon. I have some film work coming up and need a negative test so I'm pretty much staying in- not that it makes a lot of difference. I did go out to post my mum's birthday card though- she gets the vaccine as a birthday present. On the day.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I think they are putting the invites out in group 5 now to make sure the appointments diaries stay full for that tricky expensive vaccine that rots. OH has just gone off for hers but I'm in group 7 so another 6 weeks for me, I reckon. I have some film work coming up and need a negative test so I'm pretty much staying in- not that it makes a lot of difference. I did go out to post my mum's birthday card though- she gets the vaccine as a birthday present. On the day.

That's a great present for your mum and good for you to have some film work in the pipeline, not envious of course😁

 

Carol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

That's a great present for your mum and good for you to have some film work in the pipeline, not envious of course😁

 

Carol

Of course, and I'm not boasting either, about lawfully travelling halfway across the country or earning more in a day than Alamy nets me in a year, oh no, of course not;)

Better than last year, dead as a doornail except for a viewing before you-know-what and a transcription job that came in the post.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Of course, and I'm not boasting either, about lawfully travelling halfway across the country or earning more in a day than Alamy nets me in a year, oh no, of course not;)

Better than last year, dead as a doornail except for a viewing before you-know-what and a transcription job that came in the post.

Just curious, when you say fieldwork are you shooting or acting ?

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Just curious, when you say fieldwork are you shooting or acting ?

 

Carol

Have we discussed this before? I forget.

I rent out vintage film editing equipment. The Steenbeck is going out to a TV shoot in Liverpool as a practical (working) prop and I'll be on set as operator. I may even get to see Ed.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Have we discussed this before? I forget.

I rent out vintage film editing equipment. The Steenbeck is going out to a TV shoot in Liverpool as a practical (working) prop and I'll be on set as operator. I may even get to see Ed.

Ah I see, well I hope it all goes well for you and that you do get to see/meet up with Ed that would be brilliant...

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

see/meet up with Ed that would be brilliant...

Just lawful exercise of course........after my lawful travel for work.........

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Got the call today to book our vaccinations. Going to get them on Saturday, yeah!!

Had ours on Monday. Hardly felt the injection, but some very slight pain in the arm the following evening and then some stiffness around the joints felt the day after that - which might have just been age catching up with me. My wife didn't suffer from the joint thing. We were told that it would take 3 weeks for the vaccine to give a reasonable level of protection. Can't understand why some folk are refusing to have the jab. Looking forward to seeing the grandbairns when lockdown eased.

 

Another good thing, we drove the short distance to the coast and enjoyed sunshine and unexpected warmth, despite there still being some snow on the beach. Managed to take  yet more photos of folk walking along the seashore.....

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Have we discussed this before? I forget.

I rent out vintage film editing equipment. The Steenbeck is going out to a TV shoot in Liverpool as a practical (working) prop and I'll be on set as operator. I may even get to see Ed.

 

Let's hope your part is not ending on the cutting room floor.  😂

 

wim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the wooden loveseat that my furniture maker had sitting on blocks while the polyurethane dries.  Cushions are almost ready, too, so I pay the rest on the sillon (couch, what my helper was calling it) and pick it up and one slipcover for the pair of slipper chairs tomorrow, second slipcover (vestido por silla) will be ready a bit later.  Guy has been close to precisely the day he said he'd be finished (Thurday for the construction, Friday for taking the love seat home).  One of the pleasures of doing bespoke things is seeing how the customer reacts to the work.  I check prices on line for similar things and I'm basically paying a bit less than half of what a merchant would charge, which is generally twice what the furniture maker gets charged.   

 

Lola the dog got through the night without leaking, and just had a minor leak after walking, which may be from my helper not letting her completely void when they're out.  My nurse friend said Lola also may need a longer course of antibiotics.   Her male dog had the same problem but recovered with a ten day course of antibiotics. 

 

I get the impression that both cats would prefer to be fed Felix canned cat food rather than Purina Cat Chow.   Felix is the only canned cat food available in Jinotega, but both the major super markets carry it.   I feed it at night six days a week, but having to use something to get the pills down Lola meant the cats got smaller feedings of it twice a day.

 

Getting stuff made is one of the charms of living here.  The cost of furniture from a furniture maker is about what flat pack Ikea would cost, but it's put together and generally better made.   The piece looks like it has mortise and tenon joints.  Wood is figured and a bit lighter than I'd imagined, but quite handsome.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

 

Let's hope your part is not ending on the cutting room floor.  😂

 

wim

That's happened before now, but fortunately I still get my fee.;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Can't understand why some folk are refusing to have the jab.

 

Conspiracy theories is the short answer. And it is amazing that otherwise rational people will believe the nonsense that is being propagated: it alters your DNA, governments or other powers that be (unspecified) are implanting microchips in people, Covid/the pandemic is not real, it is no worse than seasonal flu, bla bla bla. The microchip thing is clearly the most stupid. Who needs microchips - you are being tracked all the time as soon as you turn on your phone, computer, TV, walk down a city street, drive your car..... 

 

 

Anyway Just had my jab. Very efficient - text, book a slot, in and out in a few minutes (me not the jab which took about a millisecond). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OH had hers yesterday- we're now on group 5, probably end of March for me, I'm two down.

You get a sheet of paper like the one you get in a packet of paracetamol that tells you what's in the vaccine- the spike protein mRNA, obvs, some preservative, and some amino acids for the mRNA to make the spike protein out of, I assume. No chips. Have to fry my own.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

OH had hers yesterday- we're now on group 5, probably end of March for me, I'm two down.

You get a sheet of paper like the one you get in a packet of paracetamol that tells you what's in the vaccine- the spike protein mRNA, obvs, some preservative, and some amino acids for the mRNA to make the spike protein out of, I assume. No chips. Have to fry my own.

 

I got the AstraZeneca variety so nothing about spike proteins mRNA etc. It seems like there are doubts about its effectiveness against some of the new variants. I will continue to be very careful in any case. I really do not want to get Covid again. 

Edited by MDM
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDM said:

 

I got the AstraZeneca variety so nothing about spike proteins etc. It seems like there are doubts about its effectiveness against some of the new variants. I will continue to be very careful in any case. I really do not want to get Covid again. 

This was for the AZ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

This was for the AZ.

 

OK. I didn't actually read the leaflet I got yet. I saw mRNA in your post and assumed it was the Pfizer one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was the Pfizer yesterday, I was given a 4 page leaflet, OH had his in January he ha Oxford = 2 page leaflet - we mix and match in this house😄 I must say all very efficient at Batchwood Hall, staff and volunteers all excellent, I arrived early and was told no problem park in the car park right opposite the Hall and go straight in.  After the jab I had a sticker put on me with a time as had to wait 15 minutes in the attached marquee  before leaving, it was pretty well freezing but no problem😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

OK. I didn't actually read the leaflet I got yet. I saw mRNA in your post and assumed it was the Pfizer one. 

My molecular biology (or just memory) has let me down again, it's something else.

Definitely got amino acids and preservatives in it, though.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2021 at 11:52, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Getting my first jab today - quite surprised as wasn't expecting to be done for quite a while as I have no underlying health conditions that I know of but it looks like they are getting around to doing us youngsters now😁  Hoping for some good light at Batchwood Hall later this afternoon, but I think I will struggle with shooting me being shot in the arm😁

 

Carol


I had booked my Covid-19 vaccination for this Saturday at the local pharmacy led centre in the Odeon Cinema. I had previously photographed it through the glass window, lens held against the glass. As the exposure at iso 800 wide open was 1/8 sec, I cancelled that appointment and booked this Saturday again at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium where from memory the light should be better. All 3 local vaccination centre’s are using the Astra Zeneca vaccine. 

Edited by sb photos
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sb photos said:


I had booked my Covid-19 vaccination for this Saturday at the local pharmacy led centre in the Odeon Cinema. I had previously photographed it through the glass window, lens held against the glass. As the exposure at iso 800 wide open was 1/8 sec, I cancelled that appointment and booked this Saturday again at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium where from memory the light should be better. All 3 local vaccination centre’s are using the Astra Zeneca vaccine. 

So that's why they can't fill the appointments in London- it's all these stock photographer blighters cancelling their bookings to get better light!;)

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MDM said:

in and out in a few minutes

 

After the actual jab the patients were being ask to be patient and sit in a waiting area for 15 minutes at my place of inoculation just in case of adverse reaction.

 

I had the Pfizer one.  (You know the one with the miniature A-bomb in it.☢️)

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my first vaccine a few weeks ago, and took my camera along. My local medical center is giving shots in a parking garage. Cars pull into every other space, we get our shots, wait out the 15 minutes, then exit the garage. I never even removed my seatbelt. I did take my camera along, but lighting and shooting angles were not good and I didn’t think they’d be too happy about me stepping outside the car. Going back next week, so I’ll take my camera again and see what I can do.

 

The good thing that’s happened here, other than getting the vaccine, is that my oldest daughter had shoulder reconstruction surgery this week and it went well. In fact, there was less damage to the joint than originally thought. Her recovery should be much quicker and easier, though she’ll still need some extensive rehab therapy.

Edited by Cecile Marion
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.