Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

I’ve dealt with no shows a bit, even when asking for money.

”I’m waiting for my uncle to bring his pickup in a few minutes, then I’ll be right over.” Then a no show. I just move to the next in line which has always been successful. So far.

Edited by Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

We had to clear my father in law's house after he passed away. We tried to give stuff away using a local Freecycle site. Very unhappy experience, people would say that they wanted items but then failed turn up, us having to make a 12 mile return trip for nothing.  We then changed tack and started to ask for payment, when, lo and behold, people kept the appointments. Since then we have always asked for payment, even if we intended to give the stuff to the people who turned up.  Not sure what this says about human nature 😕

"If it is free then there is something wrong with it."   Syndrome.

Allan

• Love 1

I got my hair cut.  C$200 for cut and face wax --  around US $6.50.  Have to see if I can pay for one of the cats to go to the vet's sooner than later for worming and a vaccine.  And Lola's incontinence problem appears to be resolving.   Vet said give her another week and see how it goes.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Last year I planted this eremurus bulb and by late summer it was over seven feet tall. Just noticed yesterday that it’s starting to appear through the soil again...

eremurus-lily-bulb-ready-to-plant-S35B9R

Initially I just read the Alamy email, and asked my wife (who works in horticulture) what was a eremurus bulb. She said it reminded her of the Alien films. After clicking on go to this post and viewing in full I see why.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Initially I just read the Alamy email, and asked my wife (who works in horticulture) what was a eremurus bulb. She said it reminded her of the Alien films. After clicking on go to this post and viewing in full I see why.

The Alamy email?

Another Zoom wine tasting with the usual suspects last night. We're so rubbish at guessing the grape variety that this time all the whites were chardonnay and the reds cabernet sauvignon so we only had to get the country. Turns out we're not much better at that.

Catching up from my dry couple of days on the Ipcress File. One of those missing evenings, and how my clothes ended up where they did I've no idea.

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Another Zoom wine tasting with the usual suspects last night. We're so rubbish at guessing the grape variety that this time all the whites were chardonnay and the reds cabernet sauvignon so we only had to get the country. Turns out we're not much better at that.

Catching up from my dry couple of days on the Ipcress File. One of those missing evenings, and how my clothes ended up where they did I've no idea.

OMG I won't ask where your clothes ended up, but made me laugh😄

Going to attempt some heart shaped biscuits now - that should make me laugh as well😁

Carol

Well this could have easily gone in the thread for bad things happening but I think this has had a good outcome.  About 3 or 4 weeks ago, the owner of the house I am renting or letting (what's the proper verb in the U.K.?) wrote me to say that he will not renew my lease since he wants to sell the property!  Well that was really tough news to hear since I was not expecting it at all and love where I live.  I had two months to figure out my housing.  I decided that I needed buy a place and stop renting since the rents are crazy around here and only going up and up.  The owner of this house wanted way too much, so I engaged a realtor who took me around to look at homes....very depressing since what I could afford was not much a of house in crappy areas and further from my kids.  The owner of this house said he really wanted to work with me and asked me to tell what I could pay....well after a lot of back and forth, we came to an agreement and I have a signed contract today. Barring any unforeseen things happening, I will own this house come March 26th.  I think the sale is a win/win, he reduced the price of the home below market value but will have to do nothing to prepare the house for sale and deal with the hassle of getting it sold...not to mention I have been an great tenant, never missing a payment and not trashing the house.   And the really good news, I will be paying less a month on my mortgage than what I was paying in rent!!

• Love 6
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Wow! Glad things worked out for you, Michael. You must have been in a bit of a panic for awhile. How nice that you were able to reach an amicable agreement with the owner. Sounds like a nice deal for you in the end.

12 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Very happy for you Michael. My favourite mantra once again: there's always a silver lining.

Thank you Cecile and Gen, a lot off restless nights lately but I should sleep well tonight!

• Love 1

53 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

the hassle of getting it sold

Been there, ended up selling it to a guy who had investment rental properties after one buyer turned flaky.   Good to be able to stay in a house.   Congratulations. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well this could have easily gone in the thread for bad things happening but I think this has had a good outcome.  About 3 or 4 weeks ago, the owner of the house I am renting or letting (what's the proper verb in the U.K.?) wrote me to say that he will not renew my lease since he wants to sell the property!  Well that was really tough news to hear since I was not expecting it at all and love where I live.  I had two months to figure out my housing.  I decided that I needed buy a place and stop renting since the rents are crazy around here and only going up and up.  The owner of this house wanted way too much, so I engaged a realtor who took me around to look at homes....very depressing since what I could afford was not much a of house in crappy areas and further from my kids.  The owner of this house said he really wanted to work with me and asked me to tell what I could pay....well after a lot of back and forth, we came to an agreement and I have a signed contract today. Barring any unforeseen things happening, I will own this house come March 26th.  I think the sale is a win/win, he reduced the price of the home below market value but will have to do nothing to prepare the house for sale and deal with the hassle of getting it sold...not to mention I have been an great tenant, never missing a payment and not trashing the house.   And the really good news, I will be paying less a month on my mortgage than what I was paying in rent!!

Wow Michael that is so amazing for you and I can imagine the stress of not knowing what was going to happen.  So lovely to hear good news and 26th March is not so far away.  Buying and selling property here in the UK takes so much longer.  I will open a virtual bottle and celebrate on 26th March !

Carol

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Best thing you have ever done. Apart from what you think/ know the best thing is you have ever done.

I have always considered rental or leasing costs to be wasted money and will always prefer to purchase.

Allan

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Best thing you have ever done. Apart from what you think/ know the best thing is you have ever done.

I have always considered rental or leasing costs to be wasted money and will always prefer to purchase.

Allan

I agree Allan, I wanted to buy sooner but couldn’t.  My divorce 12 years ago left me tight on finances.  I shutter at the thought of how much I paid in rent over the years but had little choice then.

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

This depends.  I heard of Philly houses dropping by half in value, being basically unsellable, and turned into Section 8 rentals.   Houses in Nicaragua can take years to sell (I know of some in my town (my first rental where I stayed for three years was for sale the whole time and even after I moved).  What's a great idea in one location can be a trap in another.

My taxes and insurance  in Philadelphia were about what my rent is here.

With time on my hands I decided to purge some of the items in the attic. For some misguided reason I had kept the boxes from our electrical/electronic goods purchases over the years and had amassed a large quantity of them. They will all go to the local tip today, thus enabling me to further insulate the roof space. Should have done it years ago. I looked up the price of loft insulation and was surprised to find that the local builder's merchants were a good deal more expensive than a couple of DIY stores.

I'm still hoarding my photo enlarger and associated kit, along with the remnants of the large model railway that used to go around the walls of our sons' bedroom. I might give that stuff to a local model railway society when things get back to normal. Some useful finds included a set of boules and various beach bat and ball stuff, along with forgotten toys that will be useful when the grandbairns are able to visit. Once upon a time we were into home brewing of beer and wine, so several demijohns etc to be disposed of when lockdown ends.

Sadly no boxes of valuable Chinese pottery, old masters, or exotic jewellery to be found !

Edited by Bryan

• Alamy locked this topic