Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Just got the letter inviting me to book both first and second vaccines. So my first jab is on Monday, with the second one in April.

Finally I have something to put on my 2021 year planner... 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Betty and Paulette I have amended caption and tags.

How did you spot that one Betty?

Allan

Because I took a picture of one of those in 2009 and never figured out what it was. I clicked on your blue numbers to see what you were shooting these days. I must say, Allan, your photography just keeps on getting better and better. I never uploaded my image of my teasel because I couldn’t ID it.

So when I spotted yours, I had to know what it was, and spotted the error in the caption. More often than I’d like, I have missing letters. It’s like maybe I don’t tap firmly enough on a given key. I hope I don’t have any of those mistakes remaining but I’m sure I do. Actually, I find more where an extra letter has been added by mistake, rather than a left out one.

39 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Because I took a picture of one of those in 2009 and never figured out what it was. I clicked on your blue numbers to see what you were shooting these days. I must say, Allan, your photography just keeps on getting better and better. I never uploaded my image of my teasel because I couldn’t ID it.

So when I spotted yours, I had to know what it was, and spotted the error in the caption. More often than I’d like, I have missing letters. It’s like maybe I don’t tap firmly enough on a given key. I hope I don’t have any of those mistakes remaining but I’m sure I do. Actually, I find more where an extra letter has been added by mistake, rather than a left out one.

Actually it took a licence of an image for me to see a glaring error in the caption.🤢

Allan

On 05/02/2021 at 17:00, Betty LaRue said:

No worries, just bring a mcguigan. As they say.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
43 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

OH! and THANK YOU for the compliment.😘

Allan

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Weirdly enough I have found that the exposed sensor in my mirrorless camera is much less prone to muck than that in my DSLRs - and I change lenses very frequently as I use mainly fixed focal length glass. There is a theory that the action of the mirror sucks the stuff in, or maybe Sony has developed coatings that repel the crud, or the shaking sensor might be the answer ? I've only ever had to use a rocket blower with the Sony a6500 and there is rarely any need for spotting.

I've found with my cameras both mirrorless and DSLRs that sensor crud shows up most on newer cameras, and once what I assume to be machining and over oiling crud is gone, the cameras rarely get dust spots. 

14 hours ago, Bionic said:

@Allan Bell Just had a quick flick through your port and noticed 2CTCJMC is barley not wheat :)

Thank you for that. I have corrected where necessary.

Allan

20 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Just got the letter inviting me to book both first and second vaccines. So my first jab is on Monday, with the second one in April.

Finally I have something to put on my 2021 year planner... 😀

John, you were lucky getting your first appointment so soon. My letter arrived yesterday while I was out, and was busy in the evening. I booked my two vaccinations this morning. Had the choice of two sites, no difference in appointment dates offered. My first is next Saturday, and my second at the beginning of May. Will take a single camera and lens to see what opportunities there are, although I've already shot through the window and uploaded.

Edited by sb photos
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

John, you were lucky getting your first appointment so soon.

Yes, I was expecting my 'turn' would come later, maybe next month. And it was a surprise to be able to book both first and second jabs, so I can put both dates in my diary...

On 04/02/2021 at 11:11, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Wow that's very brave.  I had a bad experience cleaning sensors many years ago when I had the D200 - I managed to almost wreck it by introducing a score line right across it which showed up on every single image I shot over F4.  I told myself then I would never attempt a sensor clean again😁  It's Fixation for me😁

Well done 😁

Carol

That must have been a pain. Do you know what went wrong and was it very expensive to get the sensor replaced?

We've finally edged into the 21st century at the allotments, as I am now in possession of the email addresses of all of the committee members (extracting teeth would have been easier) and we have agreed to hold a Zoom meeting at the end of the month. Hopefully it will go rather better than the chaotic parish council meeting which made the UK headlines this week ! The future is, I trust, paperless.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but we've just used the last of our main crop potatoes and home grown apples from last year, and secured a supply of new seed potatoes for 2021. 

Edited by Bryan
4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Hopefully it will go rather better than the chaotic parish council meeting which made the UK headlines this week !

I used to be a Parish Councillor so I found  that video very amusing. I served my 4 years and resigned as some of the other councillor’s views and attitudes really didn’t sit well with me. 

......still waiting for our seed potatoes to arrive.

15 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

I used to be a Parish Councillor so I found  that video very amusing. I served my 4 years and resigned as some of the other councillor’s views and attitudes really didn’t sit well with me. 

......still waiting for our seed potatoes to arrive.

Also got T garment re PC, a long time ago. Quite traumatic as we were a group of independents who swept away the politically biased long standing tribe. We had to put up with heckling for the first few meetings, but they soon grew tired of that.

Re seed spuds, a brave young whippersnapper (not yet 70) visited Wilco on our behalf. They have a good selection at very reasonable prices. I won't be darkening the doors of our shopping centre until my vaccine has been delivered (tomorrow) and has had time to take effect.

Sowed leeks, onions, petunia and lobelia a couple of days ago, the gardening year gathers pace!

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

and has had time to take effect.

3 weeks from being punctured. At least that was what I was told. One week to go but I will still be cautious and wearing a mask etc etc.

Allan

15 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

That must have been a pain. Do you know what went wrong and was it very expensive to get the sensor replaced?

Hi, yes it was - as to what went wrong - operator error i.e. me being over enthusiastic and no doubt very heavy handed!  From memory I used something called Eclipse which was a cleaning fluid which came with it's own swabs I think.  At the time it wasn't financially viable to get the sensor replaced, can't remember how much.  In the end I sold it for parts although in working order explaining what was wrong with it.  A valuable lesson learned for me😉

Carol

31 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi, yes it was - as to what went wrong - operator error i.e. me being over enthusiastic and no doubt very heavy handed!  From memory I used something called Eclipse which was a cleaning fluid which came with it's own swabs I think.  At the time it wasn't financially viable to get the sensor replaced, can't remember how much.  In the end I sold it for parts although in working order explaining what was wrong with it.  A valuable lesson learned for me😉

Carol

I have always used Eclipse fluid and swabs  and it's quite straightforward on the Sony SLTs- although it's precisely because of the pellicle that it needs doing so rarely.

I wonder if you had a poorly-made swab so you poked the sensor with the stick instead of the fabric.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

3 weeks from being punctured. At least that was what I was told. One week to go but I will still be cautious and wearing a mask etc etc.

Allan

We are told here in the US that we will be wearing masks until herd immunity is reached with maybe 70% of people vaccinated. That is a long way off. Apparently there is a chance, however small, that a vaccinated person can get the virus and pass it on. They may or may not realize they are infected. It is such a nightmare! I don't mind the mask as much in the winter cold but I sure hope to enjoy the summer sun on my entire face.

Paulette

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I have always used Eclipse fluid and swabs  and it's quite straightforward on the Sony SLTs- although it's precisely because of the pellicle that it needs doing so rarely.

I wonder if you had a poorly-made swab so you poked the sensor with the stick instead of the fabric.

Yes you are probably right, a case of all the gear and no idea also !  

Carol

My son had his face-to-face interview Friday, and a walkabout of the plant. This is the job in Kansas. They are putting together an offer for him now, so it’s pretty much a done deal. He lives in Alabama now, about 10 hours by car, and he’ll be a bit over an hour and a half away when he moves, probably mid-March.

We threw a family celebration dinner for him Saturday. BBQ ribs, my baked beans and other good stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I’ve finally become a Covid-19 statistic… in a good way. This morning I drove to York, to join the line of oldsters queuing up for what a sign announced would be my ‘vaccination journey’. “Join the blue queue”, a woman with a clipboard said, “not the red queue. That’s for voluntary euthenasia”…

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son had his face-to-face interview Friday, and a walkabout of the plant. This is the job in Kansas. They are putting together an offer for him now, so it’s pretty much a done deal. He lives in Alabama now, about 10 hours by car, and he’ll be a bit over an hour and a half away when he moves, probably mid-March.

We threw a family celebration dinner for him Saturday. BBQ ribs, my baked beans and other good stuff. 

Lovely to have some good news - that will be great for you Betty to have your son not so far away...

Carol

• Like 1
On 06/02/2021 at 12:19, sb photos said:

John, you were lucky getting your first appointment so soon. My letter arrived yesterday while I was out, and was busy in the evening. I booked my two vaccinations this morning. Had the choice of two sites, no difference in appointment dates offered. My first is next Saturday, and my second at the beginning of May. Will take a single camera and lens to see what opportunities there are, although I've already shot through the window and uploaded.

Don't think you will have a problem Steve, I took someone to Asda Watford today for their jab and managed a few clicks with the RX100 no questions asked....

Carol