Post a good thing that happened in your life today

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Just had my flu vaccination. I wasn't old enough, but this time the age limit came down to 50- so I am.

Being poked with a fork would have hurt more. They don't even do the sterile swab now- the pharmacist said it was never necessary.

And as for it not hurting- one study suggested that it hurt more if you were swabbed- it was the sting of the alcohol being injected! So much for that old myth.

Hope you don't have to wait for the second one too long. 

16 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Wait till tomorrow, some times I've had mild symptoms, some times a sore arm, always nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to deter getting a jab.

Nothing today, though I did notice a twinge when I put my shirt on, but to be honest parts of me sometimes feel like that anyway.

A good dry run for the vaccine though- I couldn't remember how I felt about injections. Though I suppose that means they must be OK.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Nothing today, though I did notice a twinge when I put my shirt on, but to be honest parts of me sometimes feel like that anyway.

A good dry run for the vaccine though- I couldn't remember how I felt about injections. Though I suppose that means they must be OK.

That's good. 

Just got a date for my first Covid jab, next Wed.  Got a text from my GP's surgery with a link to the community centre's website where they are carrying out the jabs (it's within walking distance).  Then I could choose a date and time in 10 minute slots.  Got a confirmation text within seconds.  All done within 5 minutes - I'm impressed so far, let's hope they actually have some vaccine when I get there!

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Missing apostrophe - well, it's important...!
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Had a home visit interview with the National Police and Nicaraguan Immigration today.  They wanted to see banking information, size of my pension, my lease, know what I did for a living in the US, where my pension came from, and what Nicaraguan citizens knew me.   Couldn't get my ex-landlord on the phone and another friend is sick, so sent them to talk to two neighbors here, one the owner of the time-sharing cat, the other the owner of a pulperia across the street.   Migracion will be in touch, now that verification of where I live and my money and such has been done.   I managed without an interpreter.

Apparently, enough of us foreigners weren't where we said we were that Migracion and the Policia Nacional are doing checks on all of us as we renew now.  Didn't get photos of them (they wore masks).  They also asked about my fish in the 130 gallon tank.  I told them the grandparents were from the local hydro lake and I had three generations in the tank now.

Good that there's progress being made on the renewal.   Migracion in Managua will get in touch with me when they're ready to do the cedula.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My daughter got accepted into grad school at the University of Washington today! First of two choices. She'll hear from the second one next month but it's pretty much the first really good news we've had in quite awhile so we're all thrilled.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
On 14/01/2021 at 11:51, spacecadet said:

Just had my flu vaccination. I wasn't old enough, but this time the age limit came down to 50- so I am.

Being poked with a fork would have hurt more. They don't even do the sterile swab now- the pharmacist said it was never necessary.

And as for it not hurting- one study suggested that it hurt more if you were swabbed- it was the sting of the alcohol being injected! So much for that old myth.

UK doesn’t do flu vaccinations for under 50? We get them here at least 18 years and over, not sure what the youngest age limit is. OK, just checked. 6 months and older.

Edited by Betty LaRue
5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

UK doesn’t do flu vaccinations for under 50? We get them here at least 18 years and over, not sure what the youngest age limit is. OK, just checked. 6 months and older.

The age limit is for a free vaccination.

Under 50s get the free jab if they have various underlying health conditions as well as pregnant women. Younger children also have a nasal flu vaccination (from age 2- end of primary school if I remember correctly) :)

I saw a private doctor once when I lived in London. I had a very persistent flu and was advised to avoid the national health where I would have to wait a long time in a room with sick people. I hope it has improved since then. The private doctor was not expensive. The flu was the one Sylvia Plath had when she committed suicide. I’m not joking when I say it was not something you’d want to have if you were depressed. 

Paulette

I had my flu jab last fall at Boots Pharmacy — free via the NHS. I hope they will be giving me the Covid jab. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NYCat said:

was advised to avoid the national health

Of course you were! He wouldn't have got a fee if you did. We find it quite satisfactory although things are a bit stretched at the moment.

Depends what you mean by "expensive", the US spends two and a half times as much per capita on health as the UK! My flu vaccination was free. No-one here has to worry about being able to pay for their treatment.

Installed LED bulbs in the last hold-out room in the house- the dining room, which has decorative lights on a dimmer. Incandescent candle bulbs quite suddenly became scarce and expensive this year. So, a new dimmer and dimmable clear LED bulbs which should pay for the dimmer in a few months. They're already cheaper than tungsten.

Incidentally, auto white balance needs a little help with them. It thinks they're cooler than they actually are. A mired shift of about +55 mired and a bit of green tint correction does the trick. I think I have it the right way round- been a while.

Edited by spacecadet
On 14/01/2021 at 18:26, Mr Standfast said:

Wait till tomorrow, some times I've had mild symptoms, some times a sore arm, always nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to deter getting a jab.

I had a flu vaccination in January last year not long before my first (and last) holiday of the year. I was horrendously unwell around a week after taking it and almost had to cancel my hols. When I say horrendously unwell I mean I got what I can only assume was flu and it lingered for ages. At one point I was so unwell I had to take the day off (I work from home), I was verging on delirious and couldn't string a sentence together. Still no idea whether it was an untimely flu, a bad reaction to the jab or COVID-19, as there was some talk about early cases of COVID-19 occurring in Jan last year and several people I know had something very similar around the same time. 

Edited by Cal
1 minute ago, Cal said:

untimely flu

That. The vaccine doesn't protect you fully for a fortnight.

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

COVID-19

Or that.

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

bad reaction to the jab

Probably not, the allergic reaction is very rapid. The pharmacist only kept me seated for a few minutes. No anaphylaxis, no reaction.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Of course you were! He wouldn't have got a fee if you did. We find it quite satisfactory although things are a bit stretched at the moment.

Depends what you mean by "expensive", the US spends two and a half times as much per capita on health as the UK! My flu vaccination was free. No-one here has to worry about being able to pay for their treatment.

Goodness. I wasn't making judgments. Just stating facts from 1963. It was my school that advised me to see a private doctor. I was really skinny at that time in my life and hadn't been able to eat anything but yogurt and dry toast with honey for weeks. I must have looked VERY fragile and apt to pick up any dangerous illness I might have been exposed to in a crowded waiting room. The school was being properly protective. I mean it when I say I hope it would be better these days. I was a student and didn't find the doctor's fee exorbitant. He gave me something that fixed me up, bless him.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

Sorry Paulette, a bit sharp of me.

That is a long time ago, and of course you only had his word about the room full of sick people!

Apology accepted. It was the school that told me the waiting rooms were crowded with long waits. That was then and the opinion of the school faculty, not that poor doctor who I liked and who helped me. Don't think bad things about him, please. I liked him and thought his fee was fair. I was not, after all, contributing any money to the national health since I didn't earn money and pay taxes as a foreign student. I was fine with paying my way.

Paulette

• Upvote 1
38 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That. The vaccine doesn't protect you fully for a fortnight.

Or that.

Probably not, the allergic reaction is very rapid. The pharmacist only kept me seated for a few minutes. No anaphylaxis, no reaction.

Just good to see chaps who don't like injections biting the bullet.

• Haha 1

I have a leftover pork chop, candied yams seasoned with cinnamon and butter in the oven, and will have a vegetable medley with it.

It’s cold outside but warm within. The sun is shining.  Life is good if one appreciates the small comforts of one’s life.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have a leftover pork chop, candied yams seasoned with cinnamon and butter in the oven, and will have a vegetable medley with it.

It’s cold outside but warm within. The sun is shining.  Life is good if one appreciates the small comforts of one’s life.

Betty, I practically live on small comforts of life.  I often photograph people who are way better off than I am, bigger homes, fancier cars, fatter bank accounts, but I never feel envious.  I have great friends and family, roof over my head, food to eat and a career that has made me feel like I never really had to work for a living.  About all I can ask for! So, yes! Life is good you when appreciate what you have!  I have had my lumps...been through a divorce, lost a brother and both parents, but you have to keep your head up and move along.

• Upvote 2

Cal, Mark is almost certainly right about your January jab and your flu. I had the same thing happen about 7 years ago in NYC. Flu can be a bitch. It's not a simple cold. 

Edo

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, I practically live on small comforts of life.  I often photograph people who are way better off than I am, bigger homes, fancier cars, fatter bank accounts, but I never feel envious.  I have great friends and family, roof over my head, food to eat and a career that has made me feel like I never really had to work for a living.  About all I can ask for! So, yes! Life is good you when appreciate what you have!  I have had my lumps...been through a divorce, lost a brother and both parents, but you have to keep your head up and move along.

I’ve also had my ups and downs, and I’m lucky that I don’t have a depressive personality. 

I’ve always felt that what doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger. I think you have that personality to overcome, too, Michael.

There are a lot of strong people on this forum who just keep on keepin’ on. Get up and dust yourself off...my motto! ☺️

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Just good to see chaps who don't like injections biting the bullet.

If people who know what they're talking about (and that includes almost anyone outside the Cabinet) reckons it's such a good idea that the state should pay for it, then a couple of phone calls, a walk down the road and a poke in the arm that I hardly noticed is the least I can do.