Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yeah, Michael — but you had one hell of a break.

One person at the fracture unit told me what you just said; total recovery might take a year and it might not be really total. Like everyone now, I'm doing the best I can. I'm not depressed and I'm not feeling sorry for myself. But I am stressed. 

I’m sure you feel bad luck has been walking in your shadow for a few years, ever since the fire. I know I would feel that way. Learning the ins and outs of a new country, (I know you were there once, but not in Liverpool) Pandemic, broken arm, and I’m sure there are other things. All I can say is you must be made of steel.

Are you still putting up with alarms going off in the night, or whatever it was?

Ah, Betty — there's a good thing! Or rather the discontinuing of a bad thing. No false alarms for almost two months. 😃

Now if they could only keep the elevator running, figure out why I can't use WiFi, and come up with a way packages could be left in the unmanned lobby, my life here would be semi-normal. 

The newest lockdown seems soooo serious. McD has stopped doing pickups and the very popular Asian chicken place has also. I spoke with two Uber bike delivery guys. They said business has all but disappeared. Hard times. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah, Betty — there's a good thing! Or rather the discontinuing of a bad thing. No false alarms for almost two months. 😃

Now if they could only keep the elevator running, figure out why I can't use WiFi, and come up with a way packages could be left in the unmanned lobby, my life here would be semi-normal. 

The newest lockdown seems soooo serious. McD has stopped doing pickups and the very popular Asian chicken place has also. I spoke with two Uber bike delivery guys. They said business has all but disappeared. Hard times. 

Good news on the alarms. I can’t imagine trying to manage the pain of a broken bone, then when you attain some sort of restless sleep, being awakened by an alarm.

I hope the infections lessen soon, and things get more manageable on that front.

A nice thing for me is it is just breaking dawn here in Kansas, and I’m seeing beautiful colors painting the sky. Sometimes we need to find joy in the smallest things. I was awakened with severe pain in my back this morning and was forced to get up two hours before normal. I fetched my newspaper in the pitch dark.
I’m on my second cup of coffee, which is the cup I add elderberry liquid for my immune system. My eyes are still bleary, so I’m waiting for the caffeine to kick in. Y’all are probably having lunch about now or just past.

Yesterday, with Echo on my shoulder, I played an African Gray video for her on my iPad. She loved it, and leaned forward to beak the other bird. I filmed her several times.

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

That creates a lovely picture Betty. Here in Western Australia it is 11:30pm at night with an easterly wind blowing which indicates a warm to hot day tomorrow. Amazing to think some of you are just waking now and I'm about to go to bed.

My good thing is finding small, positive healing things. I've had an extremely rough couple of weeks (without going into specifics), and I appreciate small things more than ever that make life bearable - a nice cup of tea, talking to my kind aunty today on the phone etc. I'm thankful too for this thread about good things too and the friendly contributors.

Tomorrow and the next day will be hang onto your hat days. They are talking about 60mph wind gusts. (96.5km?)

I think I won’t look outside for joy. Maybe clean my refrigerator! :P

• Love 2

I managed an appropriate appointment for my 2nd dose of the vaccine. It's a bit of a madhouse in NYC with opening up to people 65 and older. The more the better as far as I'm concerned. I just hope they don't run out ........ 

Paulette

• Love 4

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

I managed an appropriate appointment for my 2nd dose of the vaccine. It's a bit of a madhouse in NYC with opening up to people 65 and older. The more the better as far as I'm concerned. I just hope they don't run out ........ 

Paulette

Good for you. It’s interesting seeing how the states are handling it differently.

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Good for you. It’s interesting seeing how the states are handling it differently.

Yes. West Virginia, the Dakotas and Alaska have moved swiftly. It looks like New York and Kansas are going at about the same rate. Let's hope it all evens out. I worry about California. I have friends and relatives there. The hospitals have been overwhelmed with cases.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes. West Virginia, the Dakotas and Alaska have moved swiftly. It looks like New York and Kansas are going at about the same rate. Let's hope it all evens out. I worry about California. I have friends and relatives there. The hospitals have been overwhelmed with cases.

Paulette

Our ICU beds are full, but over the last couple of months, maybe three-four months, our positivity test rate has gone from 24% to 10.8%. Holiday gathering infections should clear before too long and then I’m hoping the hospitals won’t be so overwhelmed. Those numbers are county numbers, not state.

The government in Kansas doesn’t have a clue about getting the vaccine out in a timely manner.

We have a situation here where a surgery for one area has completed there higher tier vaccinations and want to start on the next lower tier but are being told to wait as the adjacent area surgeries have not completed the higher tiers yet.😲

Allan

Just had my flu vaccination. I wasn't old enough, but this time the age limit came down to 50- so I am.

Being poked with a fork would have hurt more. They don't even do the sterile swab now- the pharmacist said it was never necessary.

And as for it not hurting- one study suggested that it hurt more if you were swabbed- it was the sting of the alcohol being injected! So much for that old myth.

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Just had my flu vaccination. I wasn't old enough, but this time the age limit came down to 50- so I am.

Being poked with a fork would have hurt more. They don't even do the sterile swab now- the pharmacist said it was never necessary.

And as for it not hurting- one study suggested that it hurt more if you were swabbed- it was the sting of the alcohol being injected! So much for that old myth.

Wait till tomorrow, some times I've had mild symptoms, some times a sore arm, always nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to deter getting a jab.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Hope you don't have to wait for the second one too long. 

16 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Wait till tomorrow, some times I've had mild symptoms, some times a sore arm, always nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to deter getting a jab.

Nothing today, though I did notice a twinge when I put my shirt on, but to be honest parts of me sometimes feel like that anyway.

A good dry run for the vaccine though- I couldn't remember how I felt about injections. Though I suppose that means they must be OK.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Nothing today, though I did notice a twinge when I put my shirt on, but to be honest parts of me sometimes feel like that anyway.

A good dry run for the vaccine though- I couldn't remember how I felt about injections. Though I suppose that means they must be OK.

That's good. 

Just got a date for my first Covid jab, next Wed.  Got a text from my GP's surgery with a link to the community centre's website where they are carrying out the jabs (it's within walking distance).  Then I could choose a date and time in 10 minute slots.  Got a confirmation text within seconds.  All done within 5 minutes - I'm impressed so far, let's hope they actually have some vaccine when I get there!

Edited by Vincent Lowe
Missing apostrophe - well, it's important...!
  • Love 2
  • Like 3

Had a home visit interview with the National Police and Nicaraguan Immigration today.  They wanted to see banking information, size of my pension, my lease, know what I did for a living in the US, where my pension came from, and what Nicaraguan citizens knew me.   Couldn't get my ex-landlord on the phone and another friend is sick, so sent them to talk to two neighbors here, one the owner of the time-sharing cat, the other the owner of a pulperia across the street.   Migracion will be in touch, now that verification of where I live and my money and such has been done.   I managed without an interpreter.

Apparently, enough of us foreigners weren't where we said we were that Migracion and the Policia Nacional are doing checks on all of us as we renew now.  Didn't get photos of them (they wore masks).  They also asked about my fish in the 130 gallon tank.  I told them the grandparents were from the local hydro lake and I had three generations in the tank now.

Good that there's progress being made on the renewal.   Migracion in Managua will get in touch with me when they're ready to do the cedula.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

My daughter got accepted into grad school at the University of Washington today! First of two choices. She'll hear from the second one next month but it's pretty much the first really good news we've had in quite awhile so we're all thrilled.

• Love 5
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 11:51, spacecadet said:

UK doesn’t do flu vaccinations for under 50? We get them here at least 18 years and over, not sure what the youngest age limit is. OK, just checked. 6 months and older.

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

UK doesn’t do flu vaccinations for under 50? We get them here at least 18 years and over, not sure what the youngest age limit is. OK, just checked. 6 months and older.

The age limit is for a free vaccination.

Under 50s get the free jab if they have various underlying health conditions as well as pregnant women. Younger children also have a nasal flu vaccination (from age 2- end of primary school if I remember correctly) :)

I saw a private doctor once when I lived in London. I had a very persistent flu and was advised to avoid the national health where I would have to wait a long time in a room with sick people. I hope it has improved since then. The private doctor was not expensive. The flu was the one Sylvia Plath had when she committed suicide. I’m not joking when I say it was not something you’d want to have if you were depressed. 

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

was advised to avoid the national health

Of course you were! He wouldn't have got a fee if you did. We find it quite satisfactory although things are a bit stretched at the moment.

Depends what you mean by "expensive", the US spends two and a half times as much per capita on health as the UK! My flu vaccination was free. No-one here has to worry about being able to pay for their treatment.

Installed LED bulbs in the last hold-out room in the house- the dining room, which has decorative lights on a dimmer. Incandescent candle bulbs quite suddenly became scarce and expensive this year. So, a new dimmer and dimmable clear LED bulbs which should pay for the dimmer in a few months. They're already cheaper than tungsten.

Incidentally, auto white balance needs a little help with them. It thinks they're cooler than they actually are. A mired shift of about +55 mired and a bit of green tint correction does the trick. I think I have it the right way round- been a while.

Edited by spacecadet

• Alamy locked this topic