Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

On 14/01/2021 at 18:26, Mr Standfast said:

Wait till tomorrow, some times I've had mild symptoms, some times a sore arm, always nothing to worry about and certainly nothing to deter getting a jab.

I had a flu vaccination in January last year not long before my first (and last) holiday of the year. I was horrendously unwell around a week after taking it and almost had to cancel my hols. When I say horrendously unwell I mean I got what I can only assume was flu and it lingered for ages. At one point I was so unwell I had to take the day off (I work from home), I was verging on delirious and couldn't string a sentence together. Still no idea whether it was an untimely flu, a bad reaction to the jab or COVID-19, as there was some talk about early cases of COVID-19 occurring in Jan last year and several people I know had something very similar around the same time. 

Edited by Cal

1 minute ago, Cal said:

untimely flu

That. The vaccine doesn't protect you fully for a fortnight.

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

COVID-19

Or that.

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

bad reaction to the jab

Probably not, the allergic reaction is very rapid. The pharmacist only kept me seated for a few minutes. No anaphylaxis, no reaction.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Of course you were! He wouldn't have got a fee if you did. We find it quite satisfactory although things are a bit stretched at the moment.

Depends what you mean by "expensive", the US spends two and a half times as much per capita on health as the UK! My flu vaccination was free. No-one here has to worry about being able to pay for their treatment.

Goodness. I wasn't making judgments. Just stating facts from 1963. It was my school that advised me to see a private doctor. I was really skinny at that time in my life and hadn't been able to eat anything but yogurt and dry toast with honey for weeks. I must have looked VERY fragile and apt to pick up any dangerous illness I might have been exposed to in a crowded waiting room. The school was being properly protective. I mean it when I say I hope it would be better these days. I was a student and didn't find the doctor's fee exorbitant. He gave me something that fixed me up, bless him.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

Apology accepted. It was the school that told me the waiting rooms were crowded with long waits. That was then and the opinion of the school faculty, not that poor doctor who I liked and who helped me. Don't think bad things about him, please. I liked him and thought his fee was fair. I was not, after all, contributing any money to the national health since I didn't earn money and pay taxes as a foreign student. I was fine with paying my way.

Paulette

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

That. The vaccine doesn't protect you fully for a fortnight.

Or that.

Probably not, the allergic reaction is very rapid. The pharmacist only kept me seated for a few minutes. No anaphylaxis, no reaction.

Just good to see chaps who don't like injections biting the bullet.

I have a leftover pork chop, candied yams seasoned with cinnamon and butter in the oven, and will have a vegetable medley with it.

It’s cold outside but warm within. The sun is shining.  Life is good if one appreciates the small comforts of one’s life.

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have a leftover pork chop, candied yams seasoned with cinnamon and butter in the oven, and will have a vegetable medley with it.

It’s cold outside but warm within. The sun is shining.  Life is good if one appreciates the small comforts of one’s life.

Betty, I practically live on small comforts of life.  I often photograph people who are way better off than I am, bigger homes, fancier cars, fatter bank accounts, but I never feel envious.  I have great friends and family, roof over my head, food to eat and a career that has made me feel like I never really had to work for a living.  About all I can ask for! So, yes! Life is good you when appreciate what you have!  I have had my lumps...been through a divorce, lost a brother and both parents, but you have to keep your head up and move along.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Betty, I practically live on small comforts of life.  I often photograph people who are way better off than I am, bigger homes, fancier cars, fatter bank accounts, but I never feel envious.  I have great friends and family, roof over my head, food to eat and a career that has made me feel like I never really had to work for a living.  About all I can ask for! So, yes! Life is good you when appreciate what you have!  I have had my lumps...been through a divorce, lost a brother and both parents, but you have to keep your head up and move along.

I’ve also had my ups and downs, and I’m lucky that I don’t have a depressive personality. 

I’ve always felt that what doesn’t kill me, makes me stronger. I think you have that personality to overcome, too, Michael.

There are a lot of strong people on this forum who just keep on keepin’ on. Get up and dust yourself off...my motto! ☺️

• Love 2

16 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Just good to see chaps who don't like injections biting the bullet.

If people who know what they're talking about (and that includes almost anyone outside the Cabinet) reckons it's such a good idea that the state should pay for it, then a couple of phone calls, a walk down the road and a poke in the arm that I hardly noticed is the least I can do.

Well, I’ve served my ban from the forum - who knew that Alamy had its own correction facility? - and paid my debt to society. During my time in the slammer I got a facial tattoo, learned how to play the harmonica and ‘enjoyed’ a brief and not entirely consensual relationship with my cellmate, Knuckles.

Has anything happened since I’ve been away? Last time I saw the news, some TV guy called Trump was trying to become president. A joke, right??

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

Yesterday evening we drank a very nice Bacchus dry Brightwell Vineyard white wine from nearby Oxfordshire, was delicious, and had a wonderful bouquet.

We had a tour and wine tasting at  Brightwell Vineyard a year or so back, present from our daughter. They produce some very nice whites.

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Well, I’ve served my ban from the forum - who knew that Alamy had its own correction facility? - and paid my debt to society. During my time in the slammer I got a facial tattoo, learned how to play the harmonica and ‘enjoyed’ a brief and not entirely consensual relationship with my cellmate, Knuckles.

Has anything happened since I’ve been away? Last time I saw the news, some TV guy called Trump was trying to become president. A joke, right??

No joke. It happened. So did you get a pardon or serve your full sentence?

Edited by MDM

I had a singing bus driver. The bus that passes in front of my building and that I use a lot in my cat-sitting often doesn't have many passengers and can be really empty these days of people working from home and going off to live in their country places. Today I was the only passenger and had a twenty minute ride with a driver who was enjoying a few songs. He sang "Stars Fell on Alabama", "Faraway Places with Strange Sounding Names", "Dream a Little Dream of Me" and a few others. It was quite delightful and a change from the gloomy mood of a lot of us these days.

Paulette

• Love 5

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I had a singing bus driver. The bus that passes in front of my building and that I use a lot in my cat-sitting often doesn't have many passengers and can be really empty these days of people working from home and going off to live in their country places. Today I was the only passenger and had a twenty minute ride with a driver who was enjoying a few songs. He sang "Stars Fell on Alabama", "Faraway Places with Strange Sounding Names", "Dream a Little Dream of Me" and a few others. It was quite delightful and a change from the gloomy mood of a lot of us these days.

Paulette

Nice story. Reminds me of the time we took my father for a trip to Dublin not long after my mother had passed away.  Not surprisingly he wasn't in the best of spirits, but we took a ride on a tour bus whose driver's wit and repartee kept us  all amused and entertained throughout the journey. Turned out to be the high spot of the weekend.  We also visited the Guinness brewery, and I do like Guinness, but I recall thinking, that despite rumours to the contrary, the drink they served there tasted exactly the same as that served in our local.

27 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Nice story. Reminds me of the time we took my father for a trip to Dublin not long after my mother had passed away.  Not surprisingly he wasn't in the best of spirits, but we took a ride on a tour bus whose driver's wit and repartee kept us  all amused and entertained throughout the journey. Turned out to be the high spot of the weekend.  We also visited the Guinness brewery, and I do like Guinness, but I recall thinking, that despite rumours to the contrary, the drink they served there tasted exactly the same as that served in our local.

We went to Dublin a few years ago to see Art Garfunkel in concert. Spent the evening before in a bar listening to a fabulous Irish band, and drinking rather a lot.  The next day we got the Dart train to the coast and cured our hangover with fish and chips and sea air before the concert. It was good to hear Art live as  Simon and Garfunkel’s ‘ Bridge over troubled water ’ album was a reminder of our courting days but with hindsight the night at the pub was more fun!! 

I think I've cleaned up my iMac's Magic Keyboard II's right hand shift key enough that I don't have to buy a new one next time I'm in Managua.  Shall see, but looks OK so far.  Used canned air, Residual Oil Remover, paper towels, and Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes.  Saves me $100.  Keyboard looks clean again, too.  My desk has a glass top over the keyboard shelf so I can keep the cats and some spills off it and still see the keyboard but over times, it does get cruddy.

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

driver's wit and repartee kept us  all amused and entertained throughout the journey. 

Talking about wit, once at Xmas time in London, we were in a very crowded lift at a Tube station. The lift has 2 doors at either end, one for entry, one for exit. Of course there were cheaters who entered through the exit to be first. The booming voice of the lift attendant was heard "Happy Xmas everyone, except those who entered from the back, I hope your turkey burn".

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

We also visited the Guinness brewery, and I do like Guinness, but I recall thinking, that despite rumours to the contrary, the drink they served there tasted exactly the same as that served in our local.

In the early 70's after touring Scotland, then ferry to NI and a quick trip to Belfast, I drove down to Dublin for a few days. I too thought Guinness tasted the same as in the UK, and also wrongly thought it would be cheaper. They were interesting times, and annoyingly I've never found the few rolls of B&W film I processed when back home. I've searched again recently without success for frames from a Sinn Féin rally outside the GPO building, thinking of archival uploading, but not found. Only shot on an Olympus Trip, but was adequate at the time.

Edited by sb photos

This morning I had what I was told is my last broken-arm visit to the Aintree University Hospital fracture unit. The doctor and a therapist gave to some tests and explain what I already knew: it will be a while before I am perfect . . . and I will probably never be perfect again. So be it. Who the hell is perfect? 

On the way out to the taxi, I found a letter from the NHS in my mailbox instructing me how to make an appointment for a vaccination. 

So, 'twas a good news morning, health wise. 

Stay well, everyone!

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 6