Post a good thing that happened in your life today

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm self educated. Unfortunately I had a bad teacher. 

Me, too, Ed. Although I had a few college art classes long after I’d already been selling my self-taught watercolors. I just enjoyed being around other artists.

I’m a voracious reader, and seek knowledge about many things. I don’t feel uneducated.
My mother had to quit school after the 5th grade because she had to help her sick mother raise 5 children after her father died. She was so well read as an adult she could hold her own in conversation with anyone with degrees. Just not on college specialty subjects like engineering, etc. Her spoken English was great. If she saw an unfamiliar word in something she read, she stopped, looked up the meaning and how to pronounce it.  
She had a good teacher! 😉

• Like 1

I am almost entirely self-taught, both my formal qualifications in science and the subjects where I have no qualifications (photography, videography, digital editing, computers). I hated school - it was like a prison, learning by rote, indoctrination, totally exam-focused) but I love learning.

I really enjoyed my university years and I worked incredibly hard for my qualifications. I quickly learned that to succeed in university one had to be completely self-motivated. There was no spoon-feeding. That is why I say self-taught. 

I do not come from a privileged background but I was fortunate as my parents were really supportive. My father’s father died when he was 12 and he had to leave school, run a farm and do hard labour to support his family so he knew the value of formal education. I really appreciate having had the opportunity to attend excellent universities and work with some amazing people ( thanks to the EU in no small part for that). 

Anything I have ever achieved is out of love for my subjects and hard work. It is so vitally important to love what you do. Otherwise it is not worth doing. I will continue to learn until I stop breathing. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, MDM said:

I will continue to learn until I stop breathing. 

My grandfather always said a contented man is a dead man.

Allan

22 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

My grandfather always said a contented man is a dead man.

Allan

I am rarely contented so no worries there. And I never listened to anything either of my grandfathers said - they both died before I was born. 

19 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Did you inherit his sunny disposition, Allan? 😮

Sunny disposition. My explanation. I came into this world with NOTHING and still have most of it left.

Allan

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sunny disposition. My explanation. I came into this world with NOTHING and still have most of it left.

Allan

Edited by Thyrsis

I've just read that the Oxford vaccine has been approved for use in the UK. It appears that the intention is to give as many people as possible a single dose, so providing some protection against the virus, with a delayed second dose 12weeks later. The UK government has ordered 100 million shots, so enabling 50 million people to be protected. I believe that this vaccine is also manufactured in the USA and elsewhere and that the company making it has agreed to sell it at cost during the pandemic. Hopefully the game changer we have been waiting for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've just read that the Oxford vaccine has been approved for use in the UK. It appears that the intention is to give as many people as possible a single dose, so providing some protection against the virus, with a delayed second dose 12weeks later. The UK government has ordered 100 million shots, so enabling 50 million people to be protected. I believe that this vaccine is also manufactured in the USA and elsewhere and that the company making it has agreed to sell it at cost during the pandemic. Hopefully the game changer we have been waiting for.

I've heard that Nicaragua will start vaccinating in March, and given who the country's friends currently are, probably it will be one of the Russian vaccines or one from China.    The US embassy's latest email to citizens enrolled in the STEP program says:  "The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas.  Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination."    Some of the expats will probably go to the US for the vaccines. 

• Like 1

I met my Grandson today for the first time. He was born just before Xmas but my daughter had to self isolate as someone on her maternity ward had tested positive for Covid. Let’s hope they're ok and little Ewan and his mum are doing fine 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My helper did a deep cleaning of the house and washed two loads of clothes, then we ordered pizza to be delivered and he walked my dog.  Paid him C$100 extra (roughly $3.50), so C$500 for today's work, which sounds like nothing to most of my friends in the US and like too much for some Nicaraguans and pinche gringos who'd pay $5 US or room and board for a day of work.   

About a year ago, I found out he was living off part-time work for me and another woman who wasn't using him that much, so asked my British friend if he could help her and he's been working for us as a dog walker and shopper.  This has been very beneficial for all of us.  We've also kept him in cell phones and my British friend has covered some medical expenses (he has a heart mummer which is apparently not as bad as it was).   He's working on finishing high school on weekends, and if he's willing, Jinotega has some college programs here in branches of some Leon and Managua universities.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

My helper did a deep cleaning of the house and washed two loads of clothes, then we ordered pizza to be delivered and he walked my dog.  Paid him C$100 extra (roughly $3.50), so C$500 for today's work, which sounds like nothing to most of my friends in the US and like too much for some Nicaraguans and pinche gringos who'd pay $5 US or room and board for a day of work.   

About a year ago, I found out he was living off part-time work for me and another woman who wasn't using him that much, so asked my British friend if he could help her and he's been working for us as a dog walker and shopper.  This has been very beneficial for all of us.  We've also kept him in cell phones and my British friend has covered some medical expenses (he has a heart mummer which is apparently not as bad as it was).   He's working on finishing high school on weekends, and if he's willing, Jinotega has some college programs here in branches of some Leon and Managua universities.

You’ll get your crown someday.

My back has taken a sudden turn for the worse, but the good thing is when I called for an appointment today with my physical therapist, I thought it would take a month or so to get in. I have an appointment for January 4th!! Good news.

Funny thing about my problem. My pelvis gets twisted and causes a lot of back pain. My therapist puts my leg over her shoulder, presses my hip. I hear a “thunk” and it’s back in place. Hope that’s what’s wrong because it’s easily fixed.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You’ll get your crown someday.

I'm on a cane so what I'd like is for my knee to be all better so I can walk more easily.  

He helps us.  We pay him for helping us.   I'm not a Great White Rescuer.   I met him when he was Gina (and have a photo of him from then).  His family wants him to be straight.   He wants to be a father (and isn't the only gay guy I know who has sired a child to be the child's devoted parent).  He's with the mother of his child now.  Adores his daughter.  His other employer and I don't think he presents as straight, but he's got to find his own way.  If he can manage being in a relationship with the mother of his child, fine.  If he can't, that's also fine for us.  His family never broke contact with him when he was Gina, but did pressure him to go into reparative therapy.  He was an attractive woman as Gina (I didn't figure it out and still catch myself using female pronouns for him), and is a doting parent.   Years ago, a woman gave him a baby to raise, then reclaimed the child two years later.   A couple of people want me to write at length about him and his two old ladies.

It's been an interesting year.   Nicaragua makes up in complications what it lacks in natural resources that could be used for industrial development.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My back has taken a sudden turn for the worse, but the good thing is when I called for an appointment today with my physical therapist, I thought it would take a month or so to get in. I have an appointment for January 4th!! Good news.

Funny thing about my problem. My pelvis gets twisted and causes a lot of back pain. My therapist puts my leg over her shoulder, presses my hip. I hear a “thunk” and it’s back in place. Hope that’s what’s wrong because it’s easily fixed.

I will do that for you for FREE.

Allan

11 hours ago, MizBrown said:

You get an OBE from me.

Allan

Drove the short distance to the coast to take exercise today, Swapped my driving gloves for a pair of mitts, and must have dropped the gloves leaving the car.  Came back to see them wedged under one of the wiper blades, a kind soul had clearly seen them and reacted. 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Any one still got any Watneys Red Barrel?

Just axcin.

Happy New Year.

Allan

No.  But if I drink enough Speckled Hen this evening I should be able to generate a supply by morning.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I’ve had my art studio in the same room that Echo’s in. One African Gray parrot puts out a lot of feather dust. I fight it constantly, and I won’t speak of the feathers she molts. 😬 Sometimes I feel like I’m in a Dracula movie, walking through swirling fog until I drag out the vacuum again. (So I’m exaggerating, I tend to do that)

While the room has good light with windows all around, there is only one wall outlet in the wrong place for my lights. A cord would have to run across the floor and I don’t want Echo chewing on it.  All of this has been occupying my mind F.O.R.E.V.E.R.

Today I decided I’d take out 3 pieces of furniture in my office and put my art table and softboxes in there. I have the outlets I need, no more feather dust, the natural light is still good, but now when I set up my lights I can paint after dark. And those lights won’t look like they’ve been snow-dusted from a parrot.
I’ve shoved a heavy credenza out in the hallway along with a side table, and will soon remove my easy chair from my office to downstairs. My art tables are in the office and I just need to unpack my softboxes and bring them up from the basement.

A good way to start the new year for me.

We’re expecting a decent snow tomorrow and I love watching snowflakes drifting down.

Happy New Year! 🎉🎊🎆💥☃️🥂

If I can only remember there’s a piece of furniture with hip gouging corners on it in the hallway when I exit the bedroom in the morning........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3