Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Good news yesterday, things are moving on. Had a text from my surgery letting me know covid vaccinations start in my home town on 11th February, first will be the over 80's. Also once vaccination dates are confirmed the NHS will make contact, not to ring the practise to book. I should be in the 4th wave out of the 9. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Good news yesterday, things are moving on. Had a text from my surgery letting me know covid vaccinations start in my home town on 11th February, first will be the over 80's. Also once vaccination dates are confirmed the NHS will make contact, not to ring the practise to book. I should be in the 4th wave out of the 9. 

Around Easter like me.

Allan

On 23/12/2020 at 18:13, Michael Ventura said:

And speaking of vaccines, I have to vent a little, so bear with me.  My daughter, who works directly with Covid patients on most shifts and other nights, she works with very vulnerable patients who are usually older and are recovering from some major surgery or procedure, has not received the vaccine yet, saying that her hospital has only received 100 doses.   They are doing a lottery to determine when the doctors, nurses etc...get theirs.   I understand all that but what makes me upset is that Congresspersons and Senators are getting their vaccines already!!  Both liberals and conservatives, so I am not picking on one side.  Many of these politicians have gone on TV and social media to show that they got vaccinated!  Meanwhile, frontline healthcare workers are in limbo, not knowing when they will get the vaccine.  Grrrr!

agree with you.

In Canada we now have medias trying to find anything to rile people having stories that Canadian snowbirds going to Florida will have access, by paying, to vaccine ahead of many of us.  Sorry, but the issue is that they will have access ahead of Locals who can't afford it and are likely way more at risk than these people...

The not so good, for the first time in our lives my wife and I spent Xmas day without other face to face company. I feel sorry for those who live alone at this time. 

However we enjoyed two zoom meetings, one with our sons and their kin, and another with  cousins in Canada and a brother living on the south coast of the UK. I had feared that zooming might be impossible due to overload, but both meetings worked fine. We learned that they had 10 inches of snow in Thunder Bay with a temperature of minus 18. In contrast our garden pond did freeze overnight but the light snow that fell soon melted away and we able to get out for a walk.

For entertainment we watched Michael Palin's following in the footsteps of Hemingway, both interesting and gently humorous. The 30 years of Have I Got News For You was also a good watch. The wonders of catch up TV. 

Had  intended to have a charitable quantity of wine, but in practice a single glass of Alsace Gewurztraminer was enough to wash down the turkey, with some left in the bottle to lubricate the inevitable further rations of that meat in days to come. 

A strange, but not unpleasant, Xmas.

51 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ah, Boxing Day. Anyone want to go a couple of rounds?

Not a fighting day Ed The name comes from a time when the rich used to box up gifts to give to the poor. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants, and the day when they received a special Christmas box from their masters. The servants would also go home on Boxing Day to give Christmas boxes to their families.

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, and useful. Since there are many Americans and other out-of-towners who don't know that. 

I lived 28 years in the UK and never knew. Shame on me for not being more curious. So thank you for posting ReeRay.

• Love 1

When I was very young I asked what Boxing Day meant or was for.  I was told that on Christmas day we were all supposed to go to church and Boxing Day was for giving, receiving and opening our boxed Christmas presents.  I believed that explanation and never delved any deeper.😔

Allan

Thank you for that. A friend asked me yesterday about why they call it Boxing Day. I couldn't remember and I have just emailed her the answer. I sometimes get more from the Forum than I do from Google.

Paulette

The pheasant was great. Only one piece of shot and OH got it;)

A bottle of '10 claret then Cadillac with the cheese was quite enough. Zoom with the generations later on. Beautiful Granddaughter had done a first Nativity with the cuddly toys and a tea towel on her head of course but that was hours before us, in NZ.

Edited by spacecadet

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

The 30 years of Have I Got News For You was also a good watch. The wonders of catch up TV. 

Excellent programme. Fascinating to see the Bojo bumbling away and making a total mess of hosting. Nothing has changed. Long may it continue - the programme not the bumbling Bojo. 

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The pheasant was great. Only one piece of shot and OH got it;)

A bottle of '10 claret then Cadillac with the cheese was quite enough. Zoom with the generations later on. Beautiful Granddaughter had done a first Nativity with the cuddly toys and a tea towel on her head of course but that was hours before us, in NZ.

My girlfriend in Oxfordshire used to cook pheasant for me, freeze a few lovely dinners for me, before she went off to spend a dutiful Christmas with family in Newcastle. 

I did Indian from M&S yesterday. Pasta and Italian red today. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Boxing Day is known as St Stephen’s Day in Ireland. St Stephen got stoned to death (literally). As a young man I used to try to follow in his footsteps (figuratively) over Christmas. Now a glass or two of good red wine is more than enough. 

• Love 1

On 26/12/2020 at 12:30, MDM said:

Boxing Day is known as St Stephen’s Day in Ireland. St Stephen got stoned to death (literally). As a young man I used to try to follow in his footsteps (figuratively) over Christmas. Now a glass or two of good red wine is more than enough. 

I'll go along with that thought, Michael. Yes, I knew about Saint Stephen's Day, being a curious Yank, an Irish person, and a resident of the new UK. I have affection and regard for all these places and their traditions. I'm grateful to the UK for taking me in and giving me the use of their NHS. I'm grateful to the Irish Republic for allowing me to be a citizen. And as a native-born American, I would fight invaders on our borders with my Swiss Army knife, but I would never venture abroad to fight Communism in far off lands. I learned that lesson in Vietnam. We were the best recruiting program for the VC there ever was. I support a united Ireland, but I don't support the IRA. They almost killed me in '82 in Regents Park. I was photographing the band stand 10 mins before it was bombed. And they killed 7 Irish horses that same day. In Saigon in the VC bombed my go-to pub/bistro. I will never forgive them for that. You don't kill civilians on the way home after a days work. That's evil.

I'm sorry. I'm a little drunk.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Not a fighting day Ed The name comes from a time when the rich used to box up gifts to give to the poor. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants, and the day when they received a special Christmas box from their masters. The servants would also go home on Boxing Day to give Christmas boxes to their families.

British friend explained that the servants generally worked the family's Christmas Eve and Christmas day dinners and were quite fagged (in the British sense) by the end of the Christmas parties and dinner.  So they had the day after off with gifts.   Custom here is half day off Christmas eve and all of Christmas day, and one month's salary as a bonus around the first of December, mandatory if a regular employee registered with INSS (local medical and old age pension insurance), customary for casual employees .   My helper came today to walk with me to the bank (I'm on a cane at this point), walk the dog and get breakfast, then go shopping at La Colonia for frozen peas, a dark locally made stout (one bottle), and other things.

Did a FaceTime call with my niece yesterday and she mentioned that a lot of Hispanics were moving into Charlotte, North Carolina, and their Anglo neighbors were complaining in a neighborhood FB group about the noise.  Just an audible reminder that the US is becoming a different place in fifty years.

A friend asked me if the Old Men of the Year this year would be wearing masks before they burned.   I'll have to check. 

Edited by MizBrown

• Alamy locked this topic