Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, and every review on YouTube is also glowing. MDM advised me to get the 16MG because Adobe may require that in the near future. 

Not necessarily the near future but quite likely within 5 years or less, so if you want future proofing, then it is sensible to spend the extra £200 now, as the memory can't be upgraded afterwards. The only component that can be upgraded is the storage. The current minimum RAM for LR and PS is 8GB with 16MB recommended. So saving the £200 now is likely to be false economy.

At the moment Adobe have not yet optimised their apps for the new chip but this is in progress I hear so it won't be possible to get the best out of them for photo editing until they do. However, Apple have optimised Final Cut Pro (professional video editor) and the reviews are amazing. I will be getting the slightly more expensive MacBook Pro rather than the Air as it is a bit more powerful although the Air is getting amazing reviews. Apple are claiming 5X graphics performance over previous models because of the revolutionary way the chip handles graphics. Having spent more time waiting than working on video editing on my well-specified 2014 MacBook Pro on a recent trip away, these new M1 MacBooks are definitely the way to go for on-the-road graphics editing. 

Edited by MDM

2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Betty, I would be interested to know apart from the amazing camera are there any other major changes and how you find using it.  I've been looking at them as the battery on my iPhone 8 is showing bad health so not sure whether to try and get the battery replaced or replace the whole thing.  I hate changing phones and always worry that something is going to go wrong as I'm not that tekky ha ha and I know the new phones don't have home buttons, are they easy to get used to ?

Thank you

Carol

Hi, Carol,

The lack of a home button stymied me for an hour. I stomped around the house muttering for awhile, because the phone was stuck on “settings”. Then I noticed a thin black line going across the bottom of the screen. Swipe up from that, and you get the home screen. After finding that, everything went smooth as silk. You can go online and find what all of the hand gestures do. I read it on my iPad before restoring the backup but it didn’t stick with me later. I should have gone back and reread it.
The actual physical size of the iPhone Pro Max is exactly the same as the 8 Plus, but you gain more screen. Those white strips at the top and bottom are gone. The new phone seems thinner.

I made a backup through iTunes on my iMac, but I couldn’t figure out how to check and see if all of my stuff had copied. It made me nervous. So I decided to make a backup through iCloud, but had used up most of my free space. I bought more gigs for 99 cents a month and the backup went. I found out while you’re backing up you need to let the old phone to go dark, then when transferring to the new phone you need to allow it to go dark. All of fhis done while plugged in to your charger.  I initially kept tapping the old phone to keep it alive and the backup barely crept. Once I let it go dark, it went relatively quick.  Those were the things that initially frustrated me. 
I like it and the trade-up is worth it.

I haven’t had a chance to fully test the camera, yet. I did do a selfie using portrait mode and I like it. I can’t wait to test it further.

I ordered a case featuring one of my whimsical watercolor paintings from FFA and it hasn’t been delivered, yet.
I don’t regret upgrading at all. So from one non-techie to another, if I can do it, you can! 😂
Any time you open one of your icons, like maps, photos, calculator or anything, swipe up from the bottom to close it. Easy.
Good luck if you trade up.

Betty

edit:

Always before when I bought a new phone, all of my files were transferred from one phone to the next in-store. Since this takes awhile, they don’t do that anymore during Covid because they don’t want people in the store that long. They ordered the phone for me and it came to my house. (Be sure you ask for signature delivery) After I did the backup at home, I took it to the store (my carrier) and they activated it and took payment. Then they wiped my old phone and took it as a trade-in.

You’ll need to check on how it is done where you are.

Edited by Betty LaRue

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I could probably go with 999 tag and 8GB of RAM, since I dought that I'll be producing stock in 5 years. But I'll go for the 16. 

Who knows Edo? The one thing that is predictable is unpredictability itself. This time last year the idea of a global pandemic was completely non-existent except perhaps for a few Chinese doctors who were seeing something very strange happening. For me, Covid-19 led me to down a road I would never have even considered a year ago. 

You know the good thing that happened to me today is I woke up feeling dreadful again, aching all over as if I had not slept, like I was a few months ago with Long Covid. All the good of my recent travels seemed to have disappeared and I was back to square one. My thoughts at the time are unprintable as I don't swear online. But believe me I was cursing, as my health seems totally out of my control. Anyway I got up, had a fresh ground powerball of Sumatran coffee and  gradually started to feel ok. So I have had a productive day so far, editing and even getting out for an hour or so taking some pics.

What will the rest of the day or the year or the decade bring? Who knows? I only have this moment now but planning for the future is a good thing. 

Edited by MDM

39 minutes ago, MDM said:

I only have this moment now but planning for the future is a good thing. 

I have made my will.

Allan

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, and every review on YouTube is also glowing. MDM advised me to get the 16MG because Adobe may require that in the near future. 

Get the extra memory. 

There's one review that says that the new chip doesn't work well with one of the video graphics programs.   And everything from Adobe at this point is working in emulation, which seems to be fine for a number of things.  It also doesn't allow external graphics cards.   Not working that well with Adobe Premier at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGlodCAnP8

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hi, Carol,

The lack of a home button stymied me for an hour. I stomped around the house muttering for awhile, because the phone was stuck on “settings”. Then I noticed a thin black line going across the bottom of the screen. Swipe up from that, and you get the home screen. After finding that, everything went smooth as silk. You can go online and find what all of the hand gestures do. I read it on my iPad before restoring the backup but it didn’t stick with me later. I should have gone back and reread it.
The actual physical size of the iPhone Pro Max is exactly the same as the 8 Plus, but you gain more screen. Those white strips at the top and bottom are gone. The new phone seems thinner.

I made a backup through iTunes on my iMac, but I couldn’t figure out how to check and see if all of my stuff had copied. It made me nervous. So I decided to make a backup through iCloud, but had used up most of my free space. I bought more gigs for 99 cents a month and the backup went. I found out while you’re backing up you need to let the old phone to go dark, then when transferring to the new phone you need to allow it to go dark. All of fhis done while plugged in to your charger.  I initially kept tapping the old phone to keep it alive and the backup barely crept. Once I let it go dark, it went relatively quick.  Those were the things that initially frustrated me. 
I like it and the trade-up is worth it.

I haven’t had a chance to fully test the camera, yet. I did do a selfie using portrait mode and I like it. I can’t wait to test it further.

I ordered a case featuring one of my whimsical watercolor paintings from FFA and it hasn’t been delivered, yet.
I don’t regret upgrading at all. So from one non-techie to another, if I can do it, you can! 😂
Any time you open one of your icons, like maps, photos, calculator or anything, swipe up from the bottom to close it. Easy.
Good luck if you trade up.

Betty

edit:

Always before when I bought a new phone, all of my files were transferred from one phone to the next in-store. Since this takes awhile, they don’t do that anymore during Covid because they don’t want people in the store that long. They ordered the phone for me and it came to my house. (Be sure you ask for signature delivery) After I did the backup at home, I took it to the store (my carrier) and they activated it and took payment. Then they wiped my old phone and took it as a trade-in.

You’ll need to check on how it is done where you are.

Hi Betty,

Many thanks, that's really helpful.  I also freak out when the screen goes dark on anything Apple...

I will definately give it some thought - I am tempted😁 it's surprising I think how quickly we get used to new ways of doing things I guess.

Thank you again

Carol

56 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have made my will.

Allan

Same here years ago. It’s crazy not to. 

34 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Get the extra memory. 

There's one review that says that the new chip doesn't work well with one of the video graphics programs.   And everything from Adobe at this point is working in emulation, which seems to be fine for a number of things.  It also doesn't allow external graphics cards.   Not working that well with Adobe Premier at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGlodCAnP8

Adobe will have to rewrite their apps or they will lose big time for video. Final Cut Pro is my choice anyway for video and apparently flies on these new machines. Perpetual license with free updates and Pro Res Raw with many recent mirrorless cameras. No contest for Mac users in terms of price unless using other Adobe apps besides LR/PS and Premiere.

Edited by MDM

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

my iPhone 8 is showing bad health so not sure whether to try and get the battery replaced or replace the whole thing

£49 by Apple, plus a bit of postage if you can't go to an Apple Store, not too bad really.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Edited by Harry Harrison

31 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

£49 by Apple, plus a bit of postage if you can't go to an Apple Store, not too bad really.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Many thanks Harry, just been to Apple Chat and they've set me up an appointment tomorrow at Brent X so will see what happens - it will also give me a chance to look at the other phones😁

Carol

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

Same here years ago. It’s crazy not to. 

Updated mine twice recently due to move. 

Next thing to do is organise funeral arrangements. Pay now, cheaper later. Yep funeral costs are rising quickly.

Allan

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Betty,

Many thanks, that's really helpful.  I also freak out when the screen goes dark on anything Apple...

I will definately give it some thought - I am tempted😁 it's surprising I think how quickly we get used to new ways of doing things I guess.

Thank you again

Carol

Happy to help. The swipe up is actually easier and faster than the button.

Went out in the car to do a bit of shopping. When I left home the on-board computer said I could travel 622 miles on the fuel in the tank.

When I returned to home after driving about 8 miles it said I could travel 628 miles.

I will have to go out a few more times then I will be able to do a 750 mile round trip without filling up.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Went out in the car to do a bit of shopping. When I left home the on-board computer said I could travel 622 miles on the fuel in the tank.

When I returned to home after driving about 8 miles it said I could travel 628 miles.

I will have to go out a few more times then I will be able to do a 750 mile round trip without filling up.

Allan

Only if it all goes downhill from here. 😁

wim

My friend had surgery on her broken wrist yesterday and I went with her. Unfortunately the pandemic made for one unexpected problem. I had brought food but couldn't eat it in the waiting room because you have to stay masked. It was snowing and rather nasty out and even Dunkin Donuts couldn't let me eat inside. So I had a rather cold spot on steps under a roof. I know, this is supposed to be GOOD things and it is all good today. She is past the hard part and now on the mend. She has a housekeeper she likes and Maria stayed overnight with her last night. I will go over this morning and Maria will be back tomorrow. One job we need to do is opening the little cat food cats that are impossible with one hand. We open a bunch and put them in the fridge. Cats rule.

Paulette

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Updated mine twice recently due to move. 

Next thing to do is organise funeral arrangements. Pay now, cheaper later. Yep funeral costs are rising quickly.

Allan

Done both some while ago.  Hope the funeral company doesn't go bust. 🙃

I had unexpected help from a local solicitor who was doing some work for us re the execution of a relative's will.  I asked if the company would update our wills in light of changed family circumstance and was told by her secretary that it would cost around £60.  However in practice she read through the will and explained that the existing text would still cover the changes, and no charge was made.  We'll go back to this person if we ever need further legal advice.

9 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hmmm. if you're looking for correct spelling, it's best to look elsewhere.

Yes, but it changed the meaning of that post quite a bit. It wasn't obvious. I thought you might have been having trouble with the lifts (elevators) in your apartment block.:lol:

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic