Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Good to see that you are making a recovery Edo ! One of the least satisfactory aspects of getting older is the difficulty in sleeping, I can't remember the last time that I slept through from night to morning, but it's something you can live with.

I can't remember having a night when I didn't wake up once or twice either, Bryan. And yes, my arm is getting better, repairing itself, as I've said. But Meralgia paresthetica is on my leg and it's a very painful condition. 

Gosh Edo it is good that your arm is healing and giving less discomfort but the old saying comes to mind. "If it is not one thing it is another."

Sorry you are having further problems. Wonder if it might be better to try and sleep sitting up?

It may take the weight off your leg when you lie on your side.

Allan

A good thing happened a few days ago when I went shopping at Tesco. I only had three items in my hands when I got to the checkouts which were quite full as usual at this time of year. I managed to get in a queue were there was only two people in front of me with very full trollies.

As I waited I looked around and there were two ladies waiting at another checkout about three or four away frantically waving in my direction. I looked around then back at them and they were pointing at me and waving. I went along to them and they told me I could get in line in front of them, they were next to be checked out, as I would be through before they had unloaded their trolley onto the belt.

What wonderful people we have in Lincolnshire.

Allan

• Love 3

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for that, when our libraries reopen I'll maybe take a look.  From your comment I'm guessing that he was kidnapped and sent to Europe but somehow managed to return?

The guy did quite a bit of traveling.  "1493" available as an ebook from Amazon.  The other book by the same author is "1491," just before the Europeans came in.   If I remember correctly, the Indian guy learned English to be able to talk his way onto a ship headed west.  Played a part with a British family to get back home. 

• Love 1

On 21/12/2020 at 11:55, Ed Rooney said:

Had a long hot shower this morning and shampooed my hair three times. Bliss. 

Meralgia paresthetica or Bernhardt-Roth syndrome is what’s been causing my bedrest and sleeping problems. This condition may be related to my broken arm or be an unrelated problem, a coincidence. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/symptoms-causes/syc-20355635

What’s disconcerting is that NHS Symptoms has nothing on it under any name.

Marry Christmas to you, Betty.

Interesting read. Are you pregnant, Ed? :D All kidding aside, you could have damaged the nerve in your fall.

Nerves are tricky. My chemo left me with a neuropathy from under my chest to groin. It started while I was on chemo, very intense. Now, 16 years later, it is mild, but still there. The odd thing is the only time I feel it is in bed. If I’m covered up, get too warm, throw the covers off a shoulder, the cool air causes those nerves in front (But not my shoulder!) to have a weird sensation/pain. I’m lucky that it’s like a wave. Starts slow, intensifies, ebbs off. All in a minute or two.

My son-in-law fell off the roof of a building and suffered severe spinal cord injury. He almost became a quadriplegic. He was in Jim Thorpe rehab hospital for a couple of months.  He still has weakness on one side. He has neuropathy to cold also, but over his whole body.

My good thing today is that my nephew with Covid, has tested negative once, but still has to get a second negative before being allowed to work.  He still feels horrible, just not as horrible. Has the symptoms still, but lessened a bit. I’m hoping he doesn’t get any of the complications of heart or lung damage, blood clots, etc.
I'm optimistically hopeful. Depending on how he feels, he may return to work this coming Monday, which would be 3 weeks after getting it. Somehow, miraculously, his wife tested negative. She thought she was getting sick at the beginning, but it must have been fear. Psychological.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My good thing today is that my nephew with Covid, has tested negative once, but still has to get a second negative before being allowed to work.  He still feels horrible, just not as horrible. Has the symptoms still, but lessened a bit. I’m hoping he doesn’t get any of the complications of heart or lung damage, blood clots, etc.
I'm optimistically hopeful. Depending on how he feels, he may return to work this coming Monday, which would be 3 weeks after getting it. Somehow, miraculously, his wife tested negative. She thought she was getting sick at the beginning, but it must have been fear. Psychological.

Depending on the type of test she took, the fact that she tested negative does not mean she did not have Covid as there is a window of some days in the early stages when people test positive but after that they can test negative even if they still have the disease. Because of the huge variation in symptoms ranging from completely asymptomatic to severe, she may well have had it mild in the first place and even possibly passed it to your nephew. So he could have tested positive and she negative at the same time. An antibody test would be definitive. 

If he still feels that bad now, he may not be going back to work next Monday or even next month. Some people get over Covid fast, others take weeks, months and maybe years (who knows on that one). The long term effects can be as debilitating as the acute phase or even worse. Trying to rush back to normality might be the worst thing he could do. People are used to getting ill, getting better soon after and getting back to work. Covid is not necessarily like this at all. Debilitating exhaustion after the acute phase is common and it can't be dismissed. Fighting it is probably futile and might even make it a lot worse. I speak from experience and wish him the best. 

• Love 1

My good thing for today (well actually yesterday) was finally seeing a respiratory consultant to check out the state of my lungs after months of waiting. I have been looking forward anxiously to this for weeks and going out of my way to try to make sure I would not contract Covid again. I had loads of tests on my breathing and a CT scan to determine if there is long term damage. The consultant was very positive and thinks there is no serious permanent damage from listening to my breathing but I will have to wait a few weeks to find out the actual results of the tests. You  know things are strange when the biggest thing in your life is getting cared for by expert medics. Long live the NHS.  

Edited by MDM
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Depending on the type of test she took, the fact that she tested negative does not mean she did not have Covid as there is a window of some days in the early stages when people test positive but after that they can test negative even if they still have the disease. Because of the huge variation in symptoms ranging from completely asymptomatic to severe, she may well have had it mild in the first place and even possibly passed it to your nephew. So he could have tested positive and she negative at the same time. An antibody test would be definitive. 

If he still feels that bad now, he may not be going back to work next Monday or even next month. Some people get over Covid fast, others take weeks, months and maybe years (who knows on that one). The long term effects can be as debilitating as the acute phase or even worse. Trying to rush back to normality might be the worst thing he could do. People are used to getting ill, getting better soon after and getting back to work. Covid is not necessarily like this at all. Debilitating exhaustion after the acute phase is common and it can't be dismissed. Fighting it is probably futile and might even make it a lot worse. I speak from experience and wish him the best. 

I feel he is rushing back too soon. He’s used up his sick leave, so he’s pushed by that and needs the paycheck. If he doesn’t  have the strength to do it, and I fear he won’t, he’ll find out soon enough.
I feel for everyone who’s had a serious case of it.

I’ve had the flu several times. It hits me particularly worse than a lot of people because of preexisting conditions, so it always took me about a month to 6 weeks to recover. I always ended up with pneumonia.

I remember the first time I had it, our three kids were young, under 8. My husband refused to fix meals, so I, with a 104F temperature, sat on a chair pulled up to the stove stirring pots because I was too weak to stand. I remember it felt like I was in a hallucinogenic dream. Those kiddos needed fed something nutritious. I always lost my taste with the flu so what I cooked wasn’t seasoned the best. Looking back, it doesn’t seem that far off to middle of the road Covid.

So Covid can be the flu on steroids and far beyond in some cases, with the possibility of lifelong repercussions. Wow.

Good luck on your tests, Michael.

21 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

A good thing happened a few days ago when I went shopping at Tesco. I only had three items in my hands when I got to the checkouts which were quite full as usual at this time of year. I managed to get in a queue were there was only two people in front of me with very full trollies.

As I waited I looked around and there were two ladies waiting at another checkout about three or four away frantically waving in my direction. I looked around then back at them and they were pointing at me and waving. I went along to them and they told me I could get in line in front of them, they were next to be checked out, as I would be through before they had unloaded their trolley onto the belt.

What wonderful people we have in Lincolnshire.

Allan

I usually do that in Aldi if I have a full trolley and someone behind just has a couple of items. They are usually quite surprised! 

In Waitrose I self scan my shopping on a phone app and pay from my phone at a self check out. No queuing necessary! 

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I feel he is rushing back too soon. He’s used up his sick leave, so he’s pushed by that and needs the paycheck. If he doesn’t  have the strength to do it, and I fear he won’t, he’ll find out soon enough.
I feel for everyone who’s had a serious case of it.

I’ve had the flu several times. It hits me particularly worse than a lot of people because of preexisting conditions, so it always took me about a month to 6 weeks to recover. I always ended up with pneumonia.

I remember the first time I had it, our three kids were young, under 8. My husband refused to fix meals, so I, with a 104F temperature, sat on a chair pulled up to the stove stirring pots because I was too weak to stand. I remember it felt like I was in a hallucinogenic dream. Those kiddos needed fed something nutritious. I always lost my taste with the flu so what I cooked wasn’t seasoned the best. Looking back, it doesn’t seem that far off to middle of the road Covid.

So Covid can be the flu on steroids and far beyond in some cases, with the possibility of lifelong repercussions. Wow.

Good luck on your tests, Michael.

Thanks Betty. For me I am hoping for the best with those tests and I definitely feel somewhat better than I did a few months ago but I am still experiencing exhaustion at times and my lungs still feel really raw even if nothing shows up in the tests. Apparently this is common. I will just have to wait and see. 

I don't know about lifelong effects although in cases of serious organ damage that is certainly true. I have been reading a lot about Long Covid mainly because of my own experience and it is evident that the science is still at the beginning of understanding what is happening to people post-Covid. One thing for sure is that Long Covid can affect younger people very seriously, even those who were really fit and healthy beforehand.  The initial reluctance to admit that Long Covid even exists is no doubt partly down to employers wanting to admit that there can be serious long term effects that can prevent people returning to work. Like other post-viral illnesses, there is actually no treatment for the exhaustion which is one of the definitive symptoms. It is usually a matter of managing energy levels to maintain a baseline and this is essentially impossible if one has to work at the same time. 

Hopefully your nephew will get better soon but it is perhaps well to be prepared for a longer haul than going back to work so soon. 

Nice Christmas came by email a little while ago.

I have received notice that the batch of images I uploaded to Alamy on 3rd December passed QC earlier today.

Thank you Alamy and all the best to you for Christmas and the coming year.

Allan

• Love 2

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Thanks Betty. For me I am hoping for the best with those tests and I definitely feel somewhat better than I did a few months ago but I am still experiencing exhaustion at times and my lungs still feel really raw even if nothing shows up in the tests. Apparently this is common. I will just have to wait and see. 

I don't know about lifelong effects although in cases of serious organ damage that is certainly true. I have been reading a lot about Long Covid mainly because of my own experience and it is evident that the science is still at the beginning of understanding what is happening to people post-Covid. One thing for sure is that Long Covid can affect younger people very seriously, even those who were really fit and healthy beforehand.  The initial reluctance to admit that Long Covid even exists is no doubt partly down to employers wanting to admit that there can be serious long term effects that can prevent people returning to work. Like other post-viral illnesses, there is actually no treatment for the exhaustion which is one of the definitive symptoms. It is usually a matter of managing energy levels to maintain a baseline and this is essentially impossible if one has to work at the same time. 

Hopefully your nephew will get better soon but it is perhaps well to be prepared for a longer haul than going back to work so soon. 

I remember the times when I had the flu/pneumonia and felt I had recovered. I would feel energetic, start something like cleaning the house, and one minute feeling great. Two minutes later the exhaustion would hit like being run over by a truck. Kind of like starting with a full tank of gasoline then running dry suddenly. I expect Long Covid is something like that. It seems that illnesses that affect the lungs behave in that way.

My daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia when she was 12.  For several months, she did the same thing after her lungs were clear. I remember her coming in the house after a few minutes of riding her bike with her face ashen, and her lips blue.

Today I will make peanut butter fudge, then chocolate fudge to put in Christmas-themed tins for family gifts. On the downside, a weather front is coming through and we’ll have 65mph (104.6 kilometers) wind with it. I’ll not be out, or I might blow away. I hope birds will find a bush to hunker down in.

I had to do an unexpected cat visit this AM and it took me past a grocery store that was not crowded and had everything I wanted. The things we celebrate these days! They have a check-out woman there who radiates good cheer. She seems to see it as part of her job and I'm sure it makes her day better too. Today she was wearing an amazing Christmas sweater and an indescribable pixie hat with a spiral red Christmas tree on top. Bless her!

Paulette

• Love 2

Good news about Christmas dinner. My friend who usually cooks for a bunch of us has a broken wrist so we have been struggling to find delivery from a restaurant on Christmas Day. A few places nearby have gourmet meals at gourmet prices but we don't want to spring for that. My friend has found an Indian restaurant that has made their entire very long menu available. Yeah! So for me a good lentil soup with Indian spices and some chickpeas and spinach over basmati rice. Followed up by Indian rice pudding. Good food for delivery too. It won't be ruined on the way. So we are set. Just three of us this year because of the virus but good to stick to our small bubble. By the way, both my friends are Jews. I'm the only Christian. Just as Christmas should be. Festive for all.

Paulette

• Love 3

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Good news about Christmas dinner. My friend who usually cooks for a bunch of us has a broken wrist so we have been struggling to find delivery from a restaurant on Christmas Day. A few places nearby have gourmet meals at gourmet prices but we don't want to spring for that. My friend has found an Indian restaurant that has made their entire very long menu available. Yeah! So for me a good lentil soup with Indian spices and some chickpeas and spinach over basmati rice. Followed up by Indian rice pudding. Good food for delivery too. It won't be ruined on the way. So we are set. Just three of us this year because of the virus but good to stick to our small bubble. By the way, both my friends are Jews. I'm the only Christian. Just as Christmas should be. Festive for all.

Paulette

Mmm curry for Christmas dinner........We did that once, not difficult in an East London seasoned with restaurateurs of other faiths.

Brick Lane- you could google it.

Not this year though. All hospitality closed. Not even a pint on Christmas morning- and we can't do the usual round of friends either.🙁

Unless we find creative ways to circumvent the law.;)

Roast pheasant for us. Mmm- last time we had that it was shot by a work colleague and I brought it home on my bicycle handlebars. Had it with a bottle of Pomerol given to me by another work colleague, the Crown Court judge.

Edited by spacecadet

I've given myself the rest of the week off for Christmas, and I've cracked open the booze. I only drink a handful of times a year and Christmas is one of them, so it's starting to feel like an occasion now. I count that as a good thing.

Rained all day so I cooked two stotties this pm, a much better effort than my last attempt. I have Greggs recipe but found that cooking at gas mark 7 for 15 minutes turning once, as recommended, led to a partially burnt outer skin and the innards not cooked. This time I used gas 6 and rotated the breads in the oven every 5 minutes. It took about 25 minutes, but they appear cooked through and are not burnt.  Will be trying a piece for supper. 

My Christmas will be with just my son....my daughter will be working at the hospital (she's at that age where the extra pay is worth more than hanging with family).  Going to make lamb chops and roasted smashed red potatoes with garlic and butter.  Pretty simple meal.

Sounds like a good meal. Smashed potatoes are a family favorite here. My Christmas will be simple and spent with one of my twin sons; my only child left on the eastern side of the country. We’ll be having yellow rice and chicken, cheesy corn bread, and 1905 salad. Also, apple crumble with vanilla ice cream for dessert. 

• Alamy locked this topic