Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, sb photos said:

 

Carol, the downside re my original iPhone 5 was 3g was slow when uploading Alamy news. The 6 was a big improvement, but with 16GB storage I am always fighting for more free space.

I had 64 Gig on my 8, this one has double that and I could have ordered double again. I’m not sure, but spending another .99 to get 50G more than the free 5G with iCloud, would that help you, sb?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hoping to receive my new (second hand in like new condition) lens today.

 

Allan

 

 

Tested the lens on the camera on which it is going to be a permanent fit and it seems to be OK mechanically. Everything is working.

 

Today is heavily overcast and raining so hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow to go out and take some test images.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Tested the lens on the camera on which it is going to be a permanent fit and it seems to be OK mechanically. Everything is working.

 

Today is heavily overcast and raining so hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow to go out and take some test images.

 

Allan

 

 

What lens Alan? The only lens I leave continuously on one of my D750's is a Tamron 24-70 G2, my most used lens. Personally I'd like a 150-600 or 200-500 long lens, but can't cost justify it as it would currently get minimal use. I might hire one though for my next visit to Shetland. Weather here is s**t, likely worse tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sb photos said:

 

What lens Alan? The only lens I leave continuously on one of my D750's is a Tamron 24-70 G2, my most used lens. Personally I'd like a 150-600 or 200-500 long lens, but can't cost justify it as it would currently get minimal use. I might hire one though for my next visit to Shetland. Weather here is s**t, likely worse tomorrow.

 

Sony E18-135 f3-5-5.6 OSS to go on my Sony a6000 permanently as lightweight street photography system. (27-202mm equiv).  It has good write-ups. Actually the weather does not look good here either but I must get out for a walk I.m going stir crazy.🤪

 

Allan

 

I do have full frame Sony a7 mk3 (and mk2) and have the 24-70 also which is one of those bodies most of the time. Trouble is I have another 5 full frame lenses to choose from so they do get swapped around quite a bit.

 

ITMA

 

Edited by Allan Bell
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weather horrible but I cycled to the allotment and picked some rosemary for the roast spuds  tomorrow.

 

Saw a video of our 6 year old granddaughter singing carols at school. Prompted to warp out the carols and played some with OH.

 

Which reminds me, yesterday we watched a programme about Vaughan Williams "The Lark Ascending", where it was played by the then 15 year old Julia Hwang. Incredible. 

 

On a darker note, I've picked this music as one of the pieces to be played at my funeral. Hopefully not anytime soon.....

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick shop tonight filling a large reusable bag just. Timed it just right, arriving at Aldi just after 9:30, car park was almost empty, as was the store. I always leave my glasses off when shopping otherwise they would steam up. Single till in use and a small well spaced queue, didn't need to threaten anyone re distancing. In and out in no time, best time to shop.

 

Not today, but yesterday evening, close enough, watched Prof. Sarah Gilbert discussing the many vaccines developed at the University of Oxford Jenner Institute via Zoom from STFC/RAL. Most interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be posted in the “bad thing” thread, but it ended well. So here it goes. I tried pairing my new iPhone to my car today, through Bluetooth.  In the past, either my son-in-law or grandson did it for me with each new phone. That allows me to receive calls hands-free while driving and keeping my eyes on the road.

I decided to do this one myself, for the obvious health reasons. I was in and out of my cold garage for half of a day. I watched video how-tos, read instructions, tried them all, nothing worked. Finally I went to my car’s website, Subaru, and went through the on-line manual until I found something pertinent. Carrying my phone and iPad out In the frigid garage again, with the how-to open on my iPad, keys in the ignition in the on position, (which I’d done each try)I finally got it done. That’s what we non-technical people go through. I had a hard time feeling happy at my success because I’d been so frustrated for so many hours.

its done though, so I’m forcing HAPPY. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a problem with Lightroom Classic 10.1 on a 27" retina iMac running Big Sur, and went on line to see if others had been having the problem.  The machine is supposed to be sufficient for running LR Classic 10.1, but found that the best advice was to use one of the installed generic color profiles and drop back to LRC 10 or earlier.  Dropping back to LRC worked for me, and I also ticked the box for opening in lower resolution.  My Windows Dell laptop is a bit newer and hasn't had any problems.  This appears to be Adobe's fault but could be some Apple's fault.  So, I was up late with a computer issue again. 

 

My machine lost Bluetooth connections and I had to pull out a USB mouse.  I finally got that back.  

 

Bluetooth is weird.  I occasionally see popups from strange TVs and phones trying to pair with my iMac. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Had a problem with Lightroom Classic 10.1 on a 27" retina iMac running Big Sur, and went on line to see if others had been having the problem.  The machine is supposed to be sufficient for running LR Classic 10.1, but found that the best advice was to use one of the installed generic color profiles and drop back to LRC 10 or earlier.  Dropping back to LRC worked for me, and I also ticked the box for opening in lower resolution.  My Windows Dell laptop is a bit newer and hasn't had any problems.  This appears to be Adobe's fault but could be some Apple's fault.  So, I was up late with a computer issue again. 

 

My machine lost Bluetooth connections and I had to pull out a USB mouse.  I finally got that back.  

 

Bluetooth is weird.  I occasionally see popups from strange TVs and phones trying to pair with my iMac. 

 

We are being advised not to upgrade to LR 10 at the moment until problems are ironed out. Still using 9.4 here.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

We are being advised not to upgrade to LR 10 at the moment until problems are ironed out. Still using 9.4 here.

 

Allan

 

 

I didn't have any problems with LRC 10 other than it was slow, but I have photos on an external Thunderbolt 2 drive that has some age on it and wonder if that was having problems.   The update to LRC 10.1 broke more stuff, and I had three or four reboots, with corruption of Bluetooth settings, apparently.    Windows machine users aren't reporting these levels of problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

We are being advised not to upgrade to LR 10 at the moment until problems are ironed out. Still using 9.4 here.

 

Allan

 

A good source of advice on newly released LR issues is Victoria Bampton's Lightroom Queen, www.lightroomqueen.com

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problems I had pairing my phone is it had paired itself to my TV, or the pairing was copied over from my old phone. I had to unpair the TV for the pairing to my car to work, because the only option showing was my TV, not the car. Of course, I still don’t understand anything!! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, sb photos said:

 

A good source of advice on newly released LR issues is Victoria Bampton's Lightroom Queen, www.lightroomqueen.com

 

 

 

 

That is where I got it from. They have my email and keep me updated.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

One of the problems I had pairing my phone is it had paired itself to my TV, or the pairing was copied over from my old phone. I had to unpair the TV for the pairing to my car to work, because the only option showing was my TV, not the car. Of course, I still don’t understand anything!! 😂

 

The pairing was probably copied over from the old phone.   And if the phone was paired to the TV, yes you did have to unpair that.  I've got a Magic Mouse II and a Magic Trackpad II and switched the trackpad to a new iPad. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A first birthday zoom with the Beautiful Granddaughter in New Zealand at teatime (ours......she was mangling bits of Marmite on toast and grape hedgehogs (don't ask) for breakfast and about to be taken to the zoo).

A whole year and so far away. We would have gone again or they come here but...............sigh. They don't even have coronavirus.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

This morning was a giant step forward for me: for the first time in 5 weeks, I was able to tie my shoes. 

 

That's good, you must be on the mend. I remember after a hip replacement being advised not to bend over to tie shoe laces for a while, otherwise the hip could have dislocated. I ended up buying and wearing horrible shoes with a velcro strap fastener to tide me over.

Edited by sb photos
Link to post
Share on other sites

First for me dug some Celeriac which I've never grown before and made Celeriac Cheese and onion Gratin. In the oven as we speak or type. Another first cooking it, if I don't poison myself I'll let you know tomorrow. 🤨

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The one veg I have grown this year for the first time is New Zealand Yams or Oca. Dug the first plant a couple of weeks ago but left the other three as these were rather small. About 3cm long!  Can be eaten raw in salads or roasted. Slightly lemony flavour but more of a chestnut texture than a potato texture. Very different!

 

new-zealand-yams-S3BJBP.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I had a call today from a therapist at one of the fracture hospitals I have been to. She gave me a long interview about my condition, had me do a number of tests, and she said she would be sending me a new sheet of exercises. She seemed to think I was doing well but warned me that when all is done I will not regain the level of dexterity I had before the fall. That's something I already knew. So poco a poco.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

I had a call today from a therapist at one of the fracture hospitals I have been to. She gave me a long interview about my condition, had me do a number of tests, and she said she would be sending me a new sheet of exercises. She seemed to think I was doing well but warned me that when all is done I will not regain the level of dexterity I had before the fall. That's something I already knew. So poco a poco.

 

It is good that they are keeping tabs on you.

 

Edo may I ask if you are actually registered with a doctors surgery. It just seems that all your problems seem to be seen to at a hospital without referring to a doctor.

 

If you are not with a doctors surgery may I suggest you register soon. It may be beneficial with regard to getting an appointment for the covid vaccination.

 

Allan

 

Appologies if I have missed something in earlier posts.

 

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the kind of news I like to hear Edo. You're getting there. I've never regained full movement of my arm. Is it a problem? Not in the least. I don't often have to lift my arm over my head to scratch my back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.