Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

On 26/12/2020 at 21:38, meanderingemu said:

...... it came from habit of people fighting over left over food on offer the day after Christmas, in early 20th century in Manchester.  

Now we just fight to get into the Trafford Centre........

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/scene-packed-out-trafford-centre-19526609

Sheer lunacy... :wacko:

Edited by Vincent Lowe

20 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/scene-packed-out-trafford-centre-19526609

wow.. 

i still have light anxiety going grocery shopping (heading now Monday 8am is quiet), i can't understand rushing to packed malls....

34 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

The bottom line is that human nature is such that most people will do whatever they can get away with (and that is just the sensible, broadly rule-abiding ones), often with little thought for the consequences. The regulations are too complex, the tier system too illogical and the u-turns so extreme that most people don't know what to do: the promise of a normal Christmas originally for 5 days followed by putting a large section of the population into Tier 4 at virtually no notice reveals a leadership so inept that it is no surprise to see people behave in the way they are doing. Too many people still think it does not apply to them - they won't get it or they will get it and it won't be serious or even worse they think it is a conspiracy (yes there are people who think that unbelievable as it seems to the rational among us).

In my crystal ball, I  see a national lockdown looming on the horizon but with the schools still open which will greatly reduce the effect of the lockdown. You don't need to be an epidemiologist to figure this out. Common sense would say that the greatest degree of spreading must be through mingling kids together and then sending them home to mingle with their families. Mask wearing in class was still optional right up to the last day of term before Christmas. How anyone with any brain thinks they can keep the schools open and contain the spread at the same time is beyond me. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, sb photos said:

An issue relating to the simplification of areas allocated a tier is counties that have multiple district councils can and have previously been allocated different tiers. Buckinghamshire ditched their district councils for a single unitary authority, so high and low Covid case areas are lumped into one. Personally, like many others, I have avoided eating or drinking out since the pandemic began in the UK, far far safer. Unfortunately there are groups of the population who believe they are invincible or don't care, likely those you mention, they are a threat to all. Soon the UK will all likely all be in tier 4/ full lockdown.

Ontario went provincial wide mock-down on Saturday, it was nice for Virus to wait until the 26th...

I'm in region (Ottawa, level Orange) that was doing  better at the time, so we are getting more businesses that were opened now forced to closed, for example we still had indoors dining by opposition to regions that were already red  and there has been major reactions that we were forced in lock-down because of the actions of other regions.  The big thing is that these other regions had significant level of cases from workplaces supply that were supporting us, so it gets way more complex.  Obviously the best solution would have been to handled properly upfront, but political decisions focused on other things, and now it's way more complicated.   

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

We mustn't turn on each other rather than putting the blame where it really lies. You-know-who would love it to distract from their eye-test driving and crony-enriching.

Well, there's 'personal responsibility' too...

I hear medics talking about their increasing workload, and other people reacting to the problems associated with 'long covid'. Hospital patients, in fear of their lives, are regretting the way they treated covid as a "hoax". It can be a hard lesson to learn...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

We had the second of our three pheasants for dinner. Stew this time, or pot roast if you must, great. A lovely reminder of even the meanest French bistro except for the lack of wine. Been a heavy week.

I love roast pheasant, many moons ago my cottage in Dorset had a huge estate near, when on leave from the armed forces used to help out the keepers and do a bit of beating for the shoots. Always got a few birds in exchange, never hung them just plucked, fridge or freezer depending when they were going to be used. Happy days. 😀 

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

The bottom line is that human nature is such that most people will do whatever they can get away with (and that is just the sensible, broadly rule-abiding ones), often with little thought for the consequences. The regulations are too complex, the tier system too illogical and the u-turns so extreme that most people don't know what to do: the promise of a normal Christmas originally for 5 days followed by putting a large section of the population into Tier 4 at virtually no notice reveals a leadership so inept that it is no surprise to see people behave in the way they are doing. Too many people still think it does not apply to them - they won't get it or they will get it and it won't be serious or even worse they think it is a conspiracy (yes there are people who think that unbelievable as it seems to the rational among us).

In my crystal ball, I  see a national lockdown looming on the horizon but with the schools still open which will greatly reduce the effect of the lockdown. You don't need to be an epidemiologist to figure this out. Common sense would say that the greatest degree of spreading must be through mingling kids together and then sending them home to mingle with their families. Mask wearing in class was still optional right up to the last day of term before Christmas. How anyone with any brain thinks they can keep the schools open and contain the spread at the same time is beyond me. 

Yes, it is one thing the last year should have thought us, The delivery of the message is as important as the message itself....  

At least you guys seem better set up on the Vaccine side.  We are for some reasons sitting on stocks, sigh, and Vaccine centres in Ontario were actually closed for 4 days over Christmas week-end, even though health professionals are now going out to say they volunteered to work through it, none were called upon....

it's going to be a bumpy ride

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I hear medics talking about their increasing workload, and other people reacting to the problems associated with 'long covid'. Hospital patients, in fear of their lives, are regretting the way they treated covid as a "hoax". It can be a hard lesson to learn...

i feel for the health professionals.  

Was reading this post by this doctor who on Christmas helped a covid patient on intubator so she could have same Facetime with her family, just to see said family, husband and kids, at the other end with a large gathering of people, no distancing, no precautions. 

i probably would have quit by now...  

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Latest news is that the hospitals are getting to the same levels as they were during the first wave. As for long covid, I could write a book about it (or better still make a movie - if I can find the energy 😩.

There is not a lot one can do for people who think it was or is a hoax or caused by 5G or is just like seasonal flu and so on. Shouting at them doesn't seem to work. 😬

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Excellent stereotyping. Perhaps your sister should impose the rules and educate her offspring better then.

Stereotyping  was not my intention. I was just relating a personal story. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Stereotyping  was not my intention. I was just relating a personal story. 

Fair enough. It did read like stereotyping of young people to me though as you quoted Stephen saying: 

Unfortunately there are groups of the population who believe they are invincible or don't care, likely those you mention, they are a threat to all. 

before going on to say:

So true. My sister in law has 3 teenagers, 2 of them at university. They come and go as they please, out drinking with friends, no isolating after travel and no thought to how their actions could impact on others. Makes me cross! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MDM said:

Fair enough. It did read like stereotyping of young people to me though as you quoted Stephen saying: 

Unfortunately there are groups of the population who believe they are invincible or don't care, likely those you mention, they are a threat to all. 

before going on to say:

So true. My sister in law has 3 teenagers, 2 of them at university. They come and go as they please, out drinking with friends, no isolating after travel and no thought to how their actions could impact on others. Makes me cross! 

So which stereotype are you?

10 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

So which stereotype are you?

Probably educated liberal leftie snowflake remoaner according to the populist press. White Irish according to the ethnicity quiz. Doesn't go anywhere near describing the complexity of my character. Howza about yerself?

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MDM said:

Probably educated liberal leftie snowflake remoaner according to the populist press. White Irish according to the ethnicity quiz. Doesn't go anywhere near describing the complexity of my character. Howza about yerself?

Very similar, with miss-emphasis on the "probably educated". 😉

19 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

School of hard knocks, for me, and university of life... 😎

Didn’t Van  Morrison have a song with that title? I am guessing you are not related. 

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Close enough. I used to live in a van...

Which brings us nicely back to the pandemic. I have never lived in a van but I have a lot of Van Morrison music. However, no more will I give him a penny after his Covid song. Given his age and the importance of his voice for his music, I hope the school of hard knocks doesn't teach him another very harsh lesson. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, aphperspective said:

On a totally different track just finished converting all my Christmas meat bits into three massive mixed meat and veg pies with puff pastry tops. 

That's another great thing about pheasant.

Minimal leftovers.

We don't get the pies though. Only soup.

Edited by spacecadet

• Alamy locked this topic