Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I remember the times when I had the flu/pneumonia and felt I had recovered. I would feel energetic, start something like cleaning the house, and one minute feeling great. Two minutes later the exhaustion would hit like being run over by a truck. Kind of like starting with a full tank of gasoline then running dry suddenly. I expect Long Covid is something like that. It seems that illnesses that affect the lungs behave in that way.

My daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia when she was 12.  For several months, she did the same thing after her lungs were clear. I remember her coming in the house after a few minutes of riding her bike with her face ashen, and her lips blue.

Fortunately I have never had pneumonia but it certainly sounds similar in terms of the exhaustion. However, it seems like Long Covid is different in that the actual symptoms of the acute phase can remain or return in people, even those who did not have severe Covid in the acute phase. This is what has been puzzling the scientists and it seems like it is hard to pin down what is causing it. I have had recurring lung problems (shortness of breath when active and lung pain) which get better and then come back, now over 9 months on. I am cautiously optimistic as I have been improving but also aware that I could crash again which has happened a few times already. A very strange year indeed.

I advise everyone to take extreme care until they get vaccinated. That is the real ray of hope in all of this. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

All sounds good to me (especially the apple crumble!), Cecile, but what is a 1905 salad?

I grew up in Tampa and much of what we ate was good Spanish, Italian, and Cuban food. The Spanish Park and Columbia restaurants were our favorite places to celebrate special occasions. The 1905 Salad is from the Columbia:

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/The-Columbia-Experience/Recipes/1905-Salad

34 minutes ago, MDM said:

I advise everyone to take extreme care until they get vaccinated. That is the real ray of hope in all of this. 

And speaking of vaccines, I have to vent a little, so bear with me.  My daughter, who works directly with Covid patients on most shifts and other nights, she works with very vulnerable patients who are usually older and are recovering from some major surgery or procedure, has not received the vaccine yet, saying that her hospital has only received 100 doses.   They are doing a lottery to determine when the doctors, nurses etc...get theirs.   I understand all that but what makes me upset is that Congresspersons and Senators are getting their vaccines already!!  Both liberals and conservatives, so I am not picking on one side.  Many of these politicians have gone on TV and social media to show that they got vaccinated!  Meanwhile, frontline healthcare workers are in limbo, not knowing when they will get the vaccine.  Grrrr!

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I grew up in Tampa and much of what we ate was good Spanish, Italian, and Cuban food. The Spanish Park and Columbia restaurants were our favorite places to celebrate special occasions. The 1905 Salad is from the Columbia:

https://www.columbiarestaurant.com/The-Columbia-Experience/Recipes/1905-Salad

I will check it out.  I love that cuisine!  I dined at The Columbia down near Sarasota on St Armands Island, is that the same restaurant? It was very good!

22 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

And speaking of vaccines, I have to vent a little, so bear with me.  My daughter, who works directly with Covid patients on most shifts and other nights, she works with very vulnerable patients who are usually older and are recovering from some major surgery or procedure, has not received the vaccine yet, saying that her hospital has only received 100 doses.   They are doing a lottery to determine when the doctors, nurses etc...get theirs.   I understand all that but what makes me upset is that Congresspersons and Senators are getting their vaccines already!!  Both liberals and conservatives, so I am not picking on one side.  Many of these politicians have gone on TV and social media to show that they got vaccinated!  Meanwhile, frontline healthcare workers are in limbo, not knowing when they will get the vaccine.  Grrrr!

I don’t blame you for being upset. Governors are getting the vaccine, too, and to me it seems they are much more able to control who they are around than health care workers who have no choice unless they quit their jobs.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Agree Michael. The whole thing is entirely chaotic from the top down here. They are going to vaccinate health workers among the first batches. However, my wife is a teacher and there is no talk at all of vaccinating teachers as a priority. Teachers are vital to the whole system and it would collapse without them. The schools have stayed open with very little regulation on kids wearing masks.  The original idea that was proposed about there being very little transmission by kids as a justification for keeping schools open is total nonsense. Many of the  confirmed cases here are a direct result of keeping the schools open which has been a major contributor to the currently dire situation in Britain. My wife is being as careful as possible in the circumstance maintaining distance in class, keeping windows open, wearing a mask at all times etc. If we had not already had it I would be extremely worried but I am hoping we are retaining some immunity as the evidence for reinfection appears to be still minimal.

I guess for the young ones there is a greater likelihood of a mild dose and rapid recovery but it is unbelievable that someone like your daughter is not top priority. My son is working on placements in hospitals and GP practices but not directly with Covid patients. He had Covid back in March and recovered rapidly but I do worry about him nevertheless. We can only hope for the best. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Tulsi Gabbard won't get the vaccine before those most vulnerable. I know she mentioned our "grandparents". Don't know if she said more than that. She has gone her own way pretty often and is not running again. I'd love to know more about the politicians who are refusing to go first. I'd like to think there are more.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I will check it out.  I love that cuisine!  I dined at The Columbia down near Sarasota on St Armands Island, is that the same restaurant? It was very good!

Yes. Same one. The original opened in Ybor City, Tampa in 1905. There are two or three satellite locations now, including one in St. Augustine. I think the St. Armands location opened in the 80s. I remember going there when we spent time on Longboat Key. 
They have at least one cookbook and my chicken and rice recipe is adapted from theirs. 

Sorry your daughter has been unable to get her first vaccination. I hope she gets one soon. All our health professionals should be vaccinated first, especially those heroes on the front lines who are constantly dealing with COVID patients. It’s important they all be taken care of and quickly.

(I’m so thoroughly disgusted with the majority of our politicians, and how the pandemic has been handled in the US, I’ll save my comments for a more appropriate place. I have nothing positive to say.)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Tulsi Gabbard won't get the vaccine before those most vulnerable. I know she mentioned our "grandparents". Don't know if she said more than that. She has gone her own way pretty often and is not running again. I'd love to know more about the politicians who are refusing to go first. I'd like to think there are more.

Paulette

Yes, I know there are some politicians who have declined to get the jab until most critical people have gotten theirs.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Not great. 

I believe that health workers are being prioritised here, but don't know the reality.

I am able to avoid my normal practice of using the bus and am trying to avoid shops, but there are many quite elderly bus drivers who are exposing themselves to risk who should perhaps get some priority, likewise older shop workers. 

Re the politicians, there are a lot of fake anti virus rumours floating around and I guess they feel that they need to demonstrate that they believe the vaccine is safe.  Maybe should have delayed until the vaccine is more commonly available.  Case of can't win?

Hopefully the Oxford vaccine will get approval shortly and, if so, that may be a game changer. They have many millions of doses available worldwide and ready to go, It might not be quite as effective as some of the others but is does work, and is both very cheap and readily available.

Goodish news, our elder son is hoping to come for Xmas day, dependent upon a negative test result due today. Fingers crossed.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I believe that health workers are being prioritised here, but don't know the reality.

I am able to avoid my normal practice of using the bus and am trying to avoid shops, but there are many quite elderly bus drivers who are exposing themselves to risk who should perhaps get some priority, likewise older shop workers. 

Re the politicians, there are a lot of fake anti virus rumours floating around and I guess they feel that they need to demonstrate that they believe the vaccine is safe.  Maybe should have delayed until the vaccine is more commonly available.  Case of can't win?

Bus drivers should be at the front of the queue for vaccination. They provide an essential service and are dangerously exposed. A large number of London bus drivers (mostly from BAME backgrounds and not necessarily elderly) died from Covid in the first wave when they had virtually no protection at all. 

As for politicians getting vaccinated, no doubt there is a case for that but it could work both ways. People who are most vulnerable to conspiracy theories are probably less likely to trust politicians anyway (or indeed trust anybody except for their own kind). And it is astounding what people will believe. 

17 hours ago, NYCat said:

Good news about Christmas dinner. My friend who usually cooks for a bunch of us has a broken wrist so we have been struggling to find delivery from a restaurant on Christmas Day. A few places nearby have gourmet meals at gourmet prices but we don't want to spring for that. My friend has found an Indian restaurant that has made their entire very long menu available. Yeah! So for me a good lentil soup with Indian spices and some chickpeas and spinach over basmati rice. Followed up by Indian rice pudding. Good food for delivery too. It won't be ruined on the way. So we are set. Just three of us this year because of the virus but good to stick to our small bubble. By the way, both my friends are Jews. I'm the only Christian. Just as Christmas should be. Festive for all.

Paulette

A bit late to the discussion so that is why I am going backwards.

My Christmas dinner is going to be an Indian meal too.  Chicken Tikka Masala and Pilau rice. I like to add a bit of Italian on the side by way of Garlic bread. I also have Mango chutney on the plate.

Very traditional English as usual. One year I cooked up a special Spag Bol for Christmas dinner.

Allan

We will be on the sherry and mince pies tonight as usual but have decided to have them outside in the driveway. We have informed some of our friends that should they coincidentally be lawfully exercising in the street at the time they may coincidentally be able to say hello lawfully over the fence and have a coincidental drink lawfully should they so lawfully decide.

And there is a small illuminated tree in the garden and lights on the gate pillars should they forget where we coincidentally live. And a flaming brazier.

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

We will be on the sherry and mince pies tonight as usual but have decided to have them outside in the driveway. We have informed some of our friends that should they coincidentally be lawfully exercising in the street at the time they may coincidentally be able to say hello lawfully over the fence and have a coincidental drink lawfully should they so lawfully decide.

And there is a small illuminated tree in the garden and lights on the gate pillars should they forget where we coincidentally live. And a flaming brazier.

Am getting in the car right now.

Allan

19 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The UK and the EU just announced a Brexit trade deal.

Much better than having UK gunships looking for French fishing boats.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

i know we aren't supposed to mention politics in the forums but I think we have got a pretty good deal in the circumstances.

Allan

Please do not reply to this as we all want a nice peaceful Christmas.

ALL THE BEST

ITMA

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I think we have got a pretty good deal

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Please do not reply to this

So you can express your opinion on the deal, but no one else can?  😎

No opinion from me, though. I'm just relieved it's over... 😝

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

No opinion from me, though. I'm just relieved it's over... 😝

24 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Over?

It hasn't even started.

Please gentlemen Can we end it here

Allan

• Like 1

Funny Story. 

Man took an old tatty stuffed dog to the antiques road show for a valuation. The expert took a look and asked if the man wanted a true evaluation. The man said yes I would like to know how much it is worth. The expert ask the man what HE thought it would fetch in good condition. Sticks he replied.

Allan

• Love 1

My son is driving from Alabama to be here for Christmas. A joy for me. He chose to drive rather than take a risky flight, which he always has done. He told me if he gave me Covid he’d never be able to live with himself. He’s negative. My daughter’s family are also negative, so hopefully our small family gathering will be safe.

I have two pumpkin pies to bake, a Tex-Mex dish to make, another dessert as my contribution to Christmas dinner and chocolate fudge for my son who loves it. Then he’ll gripe that I made him gain weight. :D
We had two days of high wind with snow flurries yesterday. The weather will be nice tomorrow, but snow is expected next Tuesday-Wednesday.

In spite of all the nastiness in 2020, my cup runneth over.
Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁

• Love 3

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Please gentlemen Can we end it here

17 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Just sayin',is all.

Greetings all.

Edited by spacecadet

Had a zoom session earlier today with my daughters family in Bristol. My 10 year old grandson had plenty of corny jokes to tell while we opened presents. One stood out and made me laugh. It went something like this - Why didn't Boris Johnson bake a cake? Because he didn't know how many tiers to put on. 

• Thanks 1

• Alamy locked this topic