Post a good thing that happened in your life today

On 20/03/2020 at 23:58, Bob J said:

Ok. I might win this one. I had an eye exam about a year ago and an optician (with a rather poor bedside manner) told me that it looked like I had early-onset macular degeneration. So I was preparing for early age-related blindness. That was tough. Today I had a very thorough eye exam at the hospital and was told .... You have an extremely mild eye defect that has been there since birth. Your eyes are fine - go home and stop worrying.

So, that was nice!

Had a very similar episode a few years ago, optician said also with terrible bedside manner he thinks i might have a brain tumour or cancer ( always a pleasure to hear ), a week later after much concern my doctor said the exact same as you, scaring from birth. Some opticians really should keep their opinions to themselves and just advise seeing a doctor to be certain there's nothing serious going on. Glad your all good ;)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jay D said:

Had a very similar episode a few years ago, optician said also with terrible bedside manner he thinks i might have a brain tumour or cancer ( always a pleasure to hear ), a week later after much concern my doctor said the exact same as you, scaring from birth. Some opticians really should keep their opinions to themselves and just advise seeing a doctor to be certain there's nothing serious going on. Glad your all good ;)

I worked for an Ophthalmologist, then eventually he invited an optometrist Into the practice. The Ophthalmologist went to medical school, then specialized (more schooling) in Ophthalmology, eye surgery, disease of the eye, etc.

Optometrists do not go to medical school. They go to schools of Optometry. From my own personal observation, an optometrist desires to diagnose medical conditions, and I think it’s harder for them to be in the same office complex with an Ophthalmologist, who gets most of the respect, and gets to see everything. Optometrist’s jobs get very boring, so they tend to think (desire)they can diagnose when they can’t. Not saying they can’t get lucky sometimes like a person blindfolded shooting an arrow toward a barn. :D Even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes.

I actually got better sensing things than the optometrist, because of years taking down medical histories and symptoms from the patients seeing the ophthalmologist, and assisting during the exams and hearing the diagnosis and explanations from the doctor. I also assisted with office surgery and observed hospital cataract & and implant surgery. I knew enough that if a friend or family member told me symptoms, I could discern whether it was serious enough to immediately (emergency) get in to see the doctor.
Meanwhile the optometrist sat across the hall working the Phoropter, flipping lenses (is this clearer or is this) checking what prescription people needed for new lenses. Of course they can put dilating drops in and check pressures in the U.S.  So they peek at retinas and if they see something a bit different, they try to diagnose and end up appearing a bit dumb, if not frightening the liver out of the patient. 

My mother had one of those scars on her retina. The best she could see out of that eye was 20/30. Perfect 20/20 out of the other eye.

OH has just dug out her borough engineer father's copy of "An Introduction to Modern Architecture" (J.M. Richards, 1940). A 1941 Utility paperback. Bliss.

Edited by spacecadet

My new iPhone Pro Max was delivered yesterday. I made a backup copy of everything on my iPhone 8 Plus to iCloud, and transferred it to the new phone without a hitch. Pay attention to that (I was successful) since I’m so technically-challenged! 😁 

I went to the store and got it activated this morning. 
The new phone camera is great. 3 lenses. Wide, super wide and portrait. Since my husband passed, I tend to buy myself birthday and Christmas gifts.

• Like 3

I got a new network extender today and can finally upload photos again. Hurray! It still took 15 minutes to upload seven images because we have crappy internet out here in the woods but I will take what I can get 🙂

• Upvote 1

I am going to buy the new M1 MacBook Air, so I guess I'll consider it a Christmas gift. My real gift is that the doctor told me I can stop using a sling on my broken arm. It's not healed yet, but it's moving in that direction. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I am going to buy the new M1 MacBook Air, so I guess I'll consider it a Christmas gift. My real gift is that the doctor told me I can stop using a sling on my broken arm. It's not healed yet, but it's moving in that direction. 

That’s wonderful, Has the pain level decreased? I’m supposing the use of a sling is to keep you from using it while it’s healing. So going without may mean you can use it a bit..like tying shoes, and other gentle things.
Yes on the Christmas gift to yourself. I just bought a new iPhone.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Actually, I feel worse. I had another bad night.

And no, I can not tie my shoelaces. But I can see the healing in the cuff improving in a comparison of X-rays. Step by step.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My new iPhone Pro Max was delivered yesterday. I made a backup copy of everything on my iPhone 8 Plus to iCloud, and transferred it to the new phone without a hitch. Pay attention to that (I was successful) since I’m so technically-challenged! 😁 

I went to the store and got it activated this morning. 
The new phone camera is great. 3 lenses. Wide, super wide and portrait. Since my husband passed, I tend to buy myself birthday and Christmas gifts.

Hi Betty, I would be interested to know apart from the amazing camera are there any other major changes and how you find using it.  I've been looking at them as the battery on my iPhone 8 is showing bad health so not sure whether to try and get the battery replaced or replace the whole thing.  I hate changing phones and always worry that something is going to go wrong as I'm not that tekky ha ha and I know the new phones don't have home buttons, are they easy to get used to ?

Thank you

Carol

46 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

There's a glowing review in today's Guardian, Ed. Sounds like a good present... better than socks!

Yes, and every review on YouTube is also glowing. MDM advised me to get the 16MG because Adobe may require that in the near future. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yes, and every review on YouTube is also glowing. MDM advised me to get the 16MG because Adobe may require that in the near future. 

Not necessarily the near future but quite likely within 5 years or less, so if you want future proofing, then it is sensible to spend the extra £200 now, as the memory can't be upgraded afterwards. The only component that can be upgraded is the storage. The current minimum RAM for LR and PS is 8GB with 16MB recommended. So saving the £200 now is likely to be false economy.

At the moment Adobe have not yet optimised their apps for the new chip but this is in progress I hear so it won't be possible to get the best out of them for photo editing until they do. However, Apple have optimised Final Cut Pro (professional video editor) and the reviews are amazing. I will be getting the slightly more expensive MacBook Pro rather than the Air as it is a bit more powerful although the Air is getting amazing reviews. Apple are claiming 5X graphics performance over previous models because of the revolutionary way the chip handles graphics. Having spent more time waiting than working on video editing on my well-specified 2014 MacBook Pro on a recent trip away, these new M1 MacBooks are definitely the way to go for on-the-road graphics editing. 

Edited by MDM
2 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Betty, I would be interested to know apart from the amazing camera are there any other major changes and how you find using it.  I've been looking at them as the battery on my iPhone 8 is showing bad health so not sure whether to try and get the battery replaced or replace the whole thing.  I hate changing phones and always worry that something is going to go wrong as I'm not that tekky ha ha and I know the new phones don't have home buttons, are they easy to get used to ?

Thank you

Carol

Hi, Carol,

The lack of a home button stymied me for an hour. I stomped around the house muttering for awhile, because the phone was stuck on “settings”. Then I noticed a thin black line going across the bottom of the screen. Swipe up from that, and you get the home screen. After finding that, everything went smooth as silk. You can go online and find what all of the hand gestures do. I read it on my iPad before restoring the backup but it didn’t stick with me later. I should have gone back and reread it.
The actual physical size of the iPhone Pro Max is exactly the same as the 8 Plus, but you gain more screen. Those white strips at the top and bottom are gone. The new phone seems thinner.

I made a backup through iTunes on my iMac, but I couldn’t figure out how to check and see if all of my stuff had copied. It made me nervous. So I decided to make a backup through iCloud, but had used up most of my free space. I bought more gigs for 99 cents a month and the backup went. I found out while you’re backing up you need to let the old phone to go dark, then when transferring to the new phone you need to allow it to go dark. All of fhis done while plugged in to your charger.  I initially kept tapping the old phone to keep it alive and the backup barely crept. Once I let it go dark, it went relatively quick.  Those were the things that initially frustrated me. 
I like it and the trade-up is worth it.

I haven’t had a chance to fully test the camera, yet. I did do a selfie using portrait mode and I like it. I can’t wait to test it further.

I ordered a case featuring one of my whimsical watercolor paintings from FFA and it hasn’t been delivered, yet.
I don’t regret upgrading at all. So from one non-techie to another, if I can do it, you can! 😂
Any time you open one of your icons, like maps, photos, calculator or anything, swipe up from the bottom to close it. Easy.
Good luck if you trade up.

Betty

edit:

Always before when I bought a new phone, all of my files were transferred from one phone to the next in-store. Since this takes awhile, they don’t do that anymore during Covid because they don’t want people in the store that long. They ordered the phone for me and it came to my house. (Be sure you ask for signature delivery) After I did the backup at home, I took it to the store (my carrier) and they activated it and took payment. Then they wiped my old phone and took it as a trade-in.

You’ll need to check on how it is done where you are.

Edited by Betty LaRue
31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I could probably go with 999 tag and 8GB of RAM, since I dought that I'll be producing stock in 5 years. But I'll go for the 16. 

Who knows Edo? The one thing that is predictable is unpredictability itself. This time last year the idea of a global pandemic was completely non-existent except perhaps for a few Chinese doctors who were seeing something very strange happening. For me, Covid-19 led me to down a road I would never have even considered a year ago. 

You know the good thing that happened to me today is I woke up feeling dreadful again, aching all over as if I had not slept, like I was a few months ago with Long Covid. All the good of my recent travels seemed to have disappeared and I was back to square one. My thoughts at the time are unprintable as I don't swear online. But believe me I was cursing, as my health seems totally out of my control. Anyway I got up, had a fresh ground powerball of Sumatran coffee and  gradually started to feel ok. So I have had a productive day so far, editing and even getting out for an hour or so taking some pics.

What will the rest of the day or the year or the decade bring? Who knows? I only have this moment now but planning for the future is a good thing. 

Edited by MDM
39 minutes ago, MDM said:

I only have this moment now but planning for the future is a good thing. 

I have made my will.

Allan

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Get the extra memory. 

There's one review that says that the new chip doesn't work well with one of the video graphics programs.   And everything from Adobe at this point is working in emulation, which seems to be fine for a number of things.  It also doesn't allow external graphics cards.   Not working that well with Adobe Premier at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGlodCAnP8

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hi, Carol,

The lack of a home button stymied me for an hour. I stomped around the house muttering for awhile, because the phone was stuck on “settings”. Then I noticed a thin black line going across the bottom of the screen. Swipe up from that, and you get the home screen. After finding that, everything went smooth as silk. You can go online and find what all of the hand gestures do. I read it on my iPad before restoring the backup but it didn’t stick with me later. I should have gone back and reread it.
The actual physical size of the iPhone Pro Max is exactly the same as the 8 Plus, but you gain more screen. Those white strips at the top and bottom are gone. The new phone seems thinner.

I made a backup through iTunes on my iMac, but I couldn’t figure out how to check and see if all of my stuff had copied. It made me nervous. So I decided to make a backup through iCloud, but had used up most of my free space. I bought more gigs for 99 cents a month and the backup went. I found out while you’re backing up you need to let the old phone to go dark, then when transferring to the new phone you need to allow it to go dark. All of fhis done while plugged in to your charger.  I initially kept tapping the old phone to keep it alive and the backup barely crept. Once I let it go dark, it went relatively quick.  Those were the things that initially frustrated me. 
I like it and the trade-up is worth it.

I haven’t had a chance to fully test the camera, yet. I did do a selfie using portrait mode and I like it. I can’t wait to test it further.

I ordered a case featuring one of my whimsical watercolor paintings from FFA and it hasn’t been delivered, yet.
I don’t regret upgrading at all. So from one non-techie to another, if I can do it, you can! 😂
Any time you open one of your icons, like maps, photos, calculator or anything, swipe up from the bottom to close it. Easy.
Good luck if you trade up.

Betty

edit:

Always before when I bought a new phone, all of my files were transferred from one phone to the next in-store. Since this takes awhile, they don’t do that anymore during Covid because they don’t want people in the store that long. They ordered the phone for me and it came to my house. (Be sure you ask for signature delivery) After I did the backup at home, I took it to the store (my carrier) and they activated it and took payment. Then they wiped my old phone and took it as a trade-in.

You’ll need to check on how it is done where you are.

Hi Betty,

Many thanks, that's really helpful.  I also freak out when the screen goes dark on anything Apple...

I will definately give it some thought - I am tempted😁 it's surprising I think how quickly we get used to new ways of doing things I guess.

Thank you again

Carol

56 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I have made my will.

Allan

Same here years ago. It’s crazy not to. 

34 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Get the extra memory. 

There's one review that says that the new chip doesn't work well with one of the video graphics programs.   And everything from Adobe at this point is working in emulation, which seems to be fine for a number of things.  It also doesn't allow external graphics cards.   Not working that well with Adobe Premier at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEGlodCAnP8

Adobe will have to rewrite their apps or they will lose big time for video. Final Cut Pro is my choice anyway for video and apparently flies on these new machines. Perpetual license with free updates and Pro Res Raw with many recent mirrorless cameras. No contest for Mac users in terms of price unless using other Adobe apps besides LR/PS and Premiere.

Edited by MDM
4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

my iPhone 8 is showing bad health so not sure whether to try and get the battery replaced or replace the whole thing

£49 by Apple, plus a bit of postage if you can't go to an Apple Store, not too bad really.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Edited by Harry Harrison
31 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

£49 by Apple, plus a bit of postage if you can't go to an Apple Store, not too bad really.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Many thanks Harry, just been to Apple Chat and they've set me up an appointment tomorrow at Brent X so will see what happens - it will also give me a chance to look at the other phones😁

Carol

53 minutes ago, MDM said:

Same here years ago. It’s crazy not to. 

Updated mine twice recently due to move. 

Next thing to do is organise funeral arrangements. Pay now, cheaper later. Yep funeral costs are rising quickly.

Allan

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hi Betty,

Many thanks, that's really helpful.  I also freak out when the screen goes dark on anything Apple...

I will definately give it some thought - I am tempted😁 it's surprising I think how quickly we get used to new ways of doing things I guess.

Thank you again

Carol

Happy to help. The swipe up is actually easier and faster than the button.