Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Done both some while ago.  Hope the funeral company doesn't go bust. 🙃

I had unexpected help from a local solicitor who was doing some work for us re the execution of a relative's will.  I asked if the company would update our wills in light of changed family circumstance and was told by her secretary that it would cost around £60.  However in practice she read through the will and explained that the existing text would still cover the changes, and no charge was made.  We'll go back to this person if we ever need further legal advice.

There is that old saying "Where there's a will there's relatives" or have I got the wrong one. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Who should I leave the trappings of my nomad life to? I'll need a solicitor. Hmm. Costly?

You can buy a cheap will-making pack in WH Smiths (presuming it still exists) or do it online. You need an executor (such as a close relative) and two witnesses (or maybe just one at the moment as there was something I read about a change in the law because of Covid-19). 

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Actually, the lifts in my building have been out of order a lot this past year, but the new management company are getting things together. 

So you did have nomad lifts.

Sometimes they were there, sometimes they weren't.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 16:09, Harry Harrison said:

£49 by Apple, plus a bit of postage if you can't go to an Apple Store, not too bad really.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Thank you again Harry, I had my appointment with Apple yesterday.  They ran a full diagnostic check also and all good so just replaced the battery.  I actually did contact them via chat about the same problem about a month ago but I think we got cut off😄.  Anyway I was very impressed with Apple, there were 3 queues, one for click and collect, one for those who didn't have an appointment and one for appointments as I had.  Only me in that particular queue so was able to go straight in and seen 5 minutes later.  They also do temperature checks at the door.  The guy who dealt with my phone was excellent and said the phone was in top condition.  He was also quite happy to show me the new iPhone 12's and I must admit I was tempted ha ha.  However, I had to leave my phone there to be dealt with and return an hour later to collect so that's what I did.  Again temperature checked when going in.  Very professional service and the guy reckoned my phone should be good for another 2/3 years - have had it for 3 years, where did that time go!   Whilst waiting for my repair to be done,  I went into 02 - again excellent service.  You wait at the entrance to be called through - again there was only me so was called straight away.  Managed to get an even better monthly deal with 02 - the lady I dealt with told me I had been with 02 for 26 years !  

All in all very good distancing measures in the whole of Brent X though it wasn't busy in there at all thankfully !  Even had a coffee in John Lewis before going home😄

Thank you also Betty, like I said I was tempted ha ha and the 12's do look good, enjoy using yours😄

Carol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you again Harry, I had my appointment with Apple yesterday.

That's brilliant Carol, glad it went well and good to know that you can go somewhere like Brent X safely. I've only recently changed to Iphone, 1st gen. SE, wish I'd changed much earlier!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

That's brilliant Carol, glad it went well and good to know that you can go somewhere like Brent X safely. I've only recently changed to Iphone, 1st gen. SE, wish I'd changed much earlier!

Glad you are happy with your iPhone Harry😄 first generation ?

Carol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

the guy reckoned my phone should be good for another 2/3 years - have had it for 3 years, where did that time go!

I tend to sell or give away my mobile phones on at two or three years so the new owner can get some use out of it before it finally dies.  But my phones have been Huawei Y7's, not iPhones, roughly $230 phones on sale (current one was $217 as an open box or returned phone with the full warranty).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Thank you again Harry, I had my appointment with Apple yesterday.  They ran a full diagnostic check also and all good so just replaced the battery.  I actually did contact them via chat about the same problem about a month ago but I think we got cut off😄.  Anyway I was very impressed with Apple, there were 3 queues, one for click and collect, one for those who didn't have an appointment and one for appointments as I had.  Only me in that particular queue so was able to go straight in and seen 5 minutes later.  They also do temperature checks at the door.  The guy who dealt with my phone was excellent and said the phone was in top condition.  He was also quite happy to show me the new iPhone 12's and I must admit I was tempted ha ha.  However, I had to leave my phone there to be dealt with and return an hour later to collect so that's what I did.  Again temperature checked when going in.  Very professional service and the guy reckoned my phone should be good for another 2/3 years - have had it for 3 years, where did that time go!   Whilst waiting for my repair to be done,  I went into 02 - again excellent service.  You wait at the entrance to be called through - again there was only me so was called straight away.  Managed to get an even better monthly deal with 02 - the lady I dealt with told me I had been with 02 for 26 years !  

All in all very good distancing measures in the whole of Brent X though it wasn't busy in there at all thankfully !  Even had a coffee in John Lewis before going home😄

Thank you also Betty, like I said I was tempted ha ha and the 12's do look good, enjoy using yours😄

Carol

I am enjoying it! Thanks. I noticed when talking to my son out of state this evening, the sound quality/clarity seemed much better. 
You hung onto your money, that’s good. My 8 plus battery wasn’t up to par, either, and the side volume button fell off somewhere a month ago. Otherwise it was pristine.
Today I was notified my new case has shipped.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I tend to sell or give away my mobile phones on at two or three years so the new owner can get some use out of it before it finally dies.  But my phones have been Huawei Y7's, not iPhones, roughly $230 phones on sale (current one was $217 as an open box or returned phone with the full warranty).

I only ever had one iPhone play up, the original model with intermittent wifi. Still have my old iPhone 5 somewhere, when I find it I intend to just use it as an iPod for music in the car. My current iPhone 6 has done me well, but the lack of upgrading the iOS further is becoming a pain. I will be inheriting my daughters iPhone 10 in February when its contract ends.

10 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I only ever had one iPhone play up, the original model with intermittent wifi. Still have my old iPhone 5 somewhere, when I find it I intend to just use it as an iPod for music in the car. My current iPhone 6 has done me well, but the lack of upgrading the iOS further is becoming a pain. I will be inheriting my daughters iPhone 10 in February when its contract ends.

My iPhone 5 was a favourite, unfortunately the power switch packed up eventually and wasn't worth repairing, my iPhone 6 only got changed due to lack of memory only 16gb - I'm not one for loads of apps on the phone or even take loads of pictures on it, so far 64gb is fine for me.  Enjoy your iPhone 10 Steve😄

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I am enjoying it! Thanks. I noticed when talking to my son out of state this evening, the sound quality/clarity seemed much better. 
You hung onto your money, that’s good. My 8 plus battery wasn’t up to par, either, and the side volume button fell off somewhere a month ago. Otherwise it was pristine.
Today I was notified my new case has shipped.

Betty that's great everything seems so much better interested to see other changes as time goes on.  I still have the same case for my 8 as when I first got the phone.  Three things always need to happen before I walk out of the store with a new phone - first it has to go on line, second it has to have a protective screen and third a case.  I guess I'm a creature of habit keeping the same case for so long😄 Its just a fairly ordinary blue case for the back, I prefer these to the wallet type cases but there are some amazing cases around and I think the 12 has some called MagSafe.

Carol

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

My iPhone 5 was a favourite, unfortunately the power switch packed up eventually and wasn't worth repairing, my iPhone 6 only got changed due to lack of memory only 16gb - I'm not one for loads of apps on the phone or even take loads of pictures on it, so far 64gb is fine for me.  Enjoy your iPhone 10 Steve😄

Betty that's great everything seems so much better interested to see other changes as time goes on.  I still have the same case for my 8 as when I first got the phone.  Three things always need to happen before I walk out of the store with a new phone - first it has to go on line, second it has to have a protective screen and third a case.  I guess I'm a creature of habit keeping the same case for so long😄 Its just a fairly ordinary blue case for the back, I prefer these to the wallet type cases but there are some amazing cases around and I think the 12 has some called MagSafe.

Carol

Carol, the downside re my original iPhone 5 was 3g was slow when uploading Alamy news. The 6 was a big improvement, but with 16GB storage I am always fighting for more free space.

27 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Carol, the downside re my original iPhone 5 was 3g was slow when uploading Alamy news. The 6 was a big improvement, but with 16GB storage I am always fighting for more free space.

I had 64 Gig on my 8, this one has double that and I could have ordered double again. I’m not sure, but spending another .99 to get 50G more than the free 5G with iCloud, would that help you, sb?

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hoping to receive my new (second hand in like new condition) lens today.

Allan

Tested the lens on the camera on which it is going to be a permanent fit and it seems to be OK mechanically. Everything is working.

Today is heavily overcast and raining so hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow to go out and take some test images.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Tested the lens on the camera on which it is going to be a permanent fit and it seems to be OK mechanically. Everything is working.

Today is heavily overcast and raining so hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow to go out and take some test images.

Allan

What lens Alan? The only lens I leave continuously on one of my D750's is a Tamron 24-70 G2, my most used lens. Personally I'd like a 150-600 or 200-500 long lens, but can't cost justify it as it would currently get minimal use. I might hire one though for my next visit to Shetland. Weather here is s**t, likely worse tomorrow.

18 minutes ago, sb photos said:

What lens Alan? The only lens I leave continuously on one of my D750's is a Tamron 24-70 G2, my most used lens. Personally I'd like a 150-600 or 200-500 long lens, but can't cost justify it as it would currently get minimal use. I might hire one though for my next visit to Shetland. Weather here is s**t, likely worse tomorrow.

Sony E18-135 f3-5-5.6 OSS to go on my Sony a6000 permanently as lightweight street photography system. (27-202mm equiv).  It has good write-ups. Actually the weather does not look good here either but I must get out for a walk I.m going stir crazy.🤪

Allan

I do have full frame Sony a7 mk3 (and mk2) and have the 24-70 also which is one of those bodies most of the time. Trouble is I have another 5 full frame lenses to choose from so they do get swapped around quite a bit.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

Weather horrible but I cycled to the allotment and picked some rosemary for the roast spuds  tomorrow.

Saw a video of our 6 year old granddaughter singing carols at school. Prompted to warp out the carols and played some with OH.

Which reminds me, yesterday we watched a programme about Vaughan Williams "The Lark Ascending", where it was played by the then 15 year old Julia Hwang. Incredible. 

On a darker note, I've picked this music as one of the pieces to be played at my funeral. Hopefully not anytime soon.....

Edited by Bryan

A quick shop tonight filling a large reusable bag just. Timed it just right, arriving at Aldi just after 9:30, car park was almost empty, as was the store. I always leave my glasses off when shopping otherwise they would steam up. Single till in use and a small well spaced queue, didn't need to threaten anyone re distancing. In and out in no time, best time to shop.

Not today, but yesterday evening, close enough, watched Prof. Sarah Gilbert discussing the many vaccines developed at the University of Oxford Jenner Institute via Zoom from STFC/RAL. Most interesting.

This could be posted in the “bad thing” thread, but it ended well. So here it goes. I tried pairing my new iPhone to my car today, through Bluetooth.  In the past, either my son-in-law or grandson did it for me with each new phone. That allows me to receive calls hands-free while driving and keeping my eyes on the road.

I decided to do this one myself, for the obvious health reasons. I was in and out of my cold garage for half of a day. I watched video how-tos, read instructions, tried them all, nothing worked. Finally I went to my car’s website, Subaru, and went through the on-line manual until I found something pertinent. Carrying my phone and iPad out In the frigid garage again, with the how-to open on my iPad, keys in the ignition in the on position, (which I’d done each try)I finally got it done. That’s what we non-technical people go through. I had a hard time feeling happy at my success because I’d been so frustrated for so many hours.

its done though, so I’m forcing HAPPY. 

• Love 2

Had a problem with Lightroom Classic 10.1 on a 27" retina iMac running Big Sur, and went on line to see if others had been having the problem.  The machine is supposed to be sufficient for running LR Classic 10.1, but found that the best advice was to use one of the installed generic color profiles and drop back to LRC 10 or earlier.  Dropping back to LRC worked for me, and I also ticked the box for opening in lower resolution.  My Windows Dell laptop is a bit newer and hasn't had any problems.  This appears to be Adobe's fault but could be some Apple's fault.  So, I was up late with a computer issue again. 

My machine lost Bluetooth connections and I had to pull out a USB mouse.  I finally got that back.  

Bluetooth is weird.  I occasionally see popups from strange TVs and phones trying to pair with my iMac. 

10 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Had a problem with Lightroom Classic 10.1 on a 27" retina iMac running Big Sur, and went on line to see if others had been having the problem.  The machine is supposed to be sufficient for running LR Classic 10.1, but found that the best advice was to use one of the installed generic color profiles and drop back to LRC 10 or earlier.  Dropping back to LRC worked for me, and I also ticked the box for opening in lower resolution.  My Windows Dell laptop is a bit newer and hasn't had any problems.  This appears to be Adobe's fault but could be some Apple's fault.  So, I was up late with a computer issue again. 

My machine lost Bluetooth connections and I had to pull out a USB mouse.  I finally got that back.  

Bluetooth is weird.  I occasionally see popups from strange TVs and phones trying to pair with my iMac. 

We are being advised not to upgrade to LR 10 at the moment until problems are ironed out. Still using 9.4 here.

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

We are being advised not to upgrade to LR 10 at the moment until problems are ironed out. Still using 9.4 here.

Allan

I didn't have any problems with LRC 10 other than it was slow, but I have photos on an external Thunderbolt 2 drive that has some age on it and wonder if that was having problems.   The update to LRC 10.1 broke more stuff, and I had three or four reboots, with corruption of Bluetooth settings, apparently.    Windows machine users aren't reporting these levels of problems.

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

A good source of advice on newly released LR issues is Victoria Bampton's Lightroom Queen, www.lightroomqueen.com

• Alamy locked this topic