Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

17 hours ago, Bryan said:

With our stack of early autumn apples starting to go soft I decided to have my first ever go at making apple pie. 

Most recipes appeared complex with reference to lard or trex but the BBC website featured a simple solution using only plain flour, butter and a small quantity of water. My wife prepared the apples, actually russets, and added cinnamon, raisins and a little brown sugar. Mixing the dough was a messy business, and liberal quantities of flour were needed to prevent sticking, but I managed to produce a flat base and top. We used the lid of a pyrex casserole as a pie dish, and the Mrs demonstrated the cunning trick of transferring the dough from board to pie by wrapping it around a rolling pin.

Result, success, lovely pastry and a tasty, if possibly not the healthiest of pies. I do love apple pie !

Yes, apple pie is fantastic. For the filling, I use white and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a couple of spoons of flour for a bit of thickening. Put into bottom crust and dot the top with two tablespoons of butter and put the top crust on. Brush on a bit of milk on to top crust and sprinkle with a bit more sugar & cinnamon.

HMGRRA.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3

On 18/11/2020 at 05:51, Bryan said:

Result, success, lovely pastry and a tasty, if possibly not the healthiest of pies. I do love apple pie !

So do I! And apple crumble, and tarte tatin.. Just as well as we have at least 50 cooking apples stored! 

close-up-of-the-crust-on-an-apple-pie-S2

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, apple pie is fantastic. For the filling, I use white and brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and a couple of spoons of flour for a bit of thickening. Put into bottom crust and dot the top with two tablespoons of butter and put the top crust on. Brush on a bit of milk on to top crust and sprinkle with a bit more sugar & cinnamon.

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

So do I! And apple crumble, and tarte tatin.. Just as well as we have at least 50 cooking apples stored! 

Can't compete with you guys! 😉

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I want pie!

Lovely pictures of Seville, Ian. I lived there for 8 months but never got around to doing several of the major landmarks. That was always going to happen tomorrow, then one day I was gone. 🤭

Seville was wonderful, especially Triana.  Would love to go back some time.

We went in March so it wasn’t hot! 

Were you living in Oxfordshire in the late '80s?  I wonder if you ever listened to the David Freeman show on BBC Radio Oxford? I did a weekly spot there, David's pet Yank. 

(I must start calling you Thyrsis, not Ian.)

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Were you living in Oxfordshire in the late '80s?  I wonder if you ever listened to the David Freeman show on BBC Radio Oxford? I did a weekly spot there, David's pet Yank. 

(I must start calling you Thyrsis, not Ian.)

Yes, and yes! DF interviewed Ian about commercial photography when we were running the studio in Oxford. 

You probably knew Bill Heine? He sadly passed away last year.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCIEpWhz6fZWxkZ126_z7

Edited by Thyrsis

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I recall one year being involved in that mad late-night drive from France to London. I wasn't driving or even a passenger. I was just waiting with my glass. 😎

Well we are on our way to getting NINE bottles due to a double booking........watcha gonna do🤩

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

The Beaujolais Nouveau is in.🍷We need bigger emojis.....

Big enough?

Allan

🍷

Or even bigger.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Big enough?

Allan

🍷

Or even bigger.

ITMA

🍷

How did you manage THAT?!

Aah.......font size......brilliant...thanks😎

That seems to be tops, though, wouldn't last long tonight.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

🍷.

I've left sanity behind!

I’ll bet you miss 2 Buck Chuck, don’t you? Kansas’s Trader Joe’s doesn’t sell wine and I’ve never got to experience their wine. I think it can be sold in Oklahoma now, but I’m not there. I know the law passed two years ago in the vote. I’m not sure there was a Trader Joe’s in Oklahoma City when I left. If there was in wasn’t easily accessible from where I lived, and wine wouldn’t have been sold anyway.

I'm making a pear bourbon pie for Thanksgiving. I love baking pies, but eating them even more. So after seeing your pie photos Betty and Thrysis, and your pie story Bryan, you all got me thinking about eating the pear bourbon pie for desert on Thanksgiving with a leftover piece for breakfast on Friday - and those thoughts are the good things that happened to me today.  Thanks gang!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

And I’ll be making a blueberry pie, special request by my son.

One of the absolutely best lunches I ever had was in Bar Harbor, Maine. Clam chowder and blueberry pie. They each were exquisite. I usually like pies with fruit that has a bit more tartness than blueberry because sugared up, they still have more flavor. But that blueberry pie....ummmm

Betty, it’s the only fruit pie I like, so am glad about his request. Since we’re the only family who will be in town next Thursday for Thanksgiving, we plan to meet in a green space somewhere and have a Turkey sandwich, blueberry pie picnic. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Look at what you lot made me upload. This was our lunch yesterday.

Gourmet smoked salmon, avocado, capers, red onions, toast, balsamic dressing. Who's joining me?

2DCF8NK.jpg

• Love 2

• Alamy locked this topic