Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Drove my "old Mercedes" (2001 e320 4matic wagon) at 110 mph (177kph) in a light rain after spending months 

getting it put back together. The new Michelin tires are great.

Sorry little boy thrill, like listening to Deep Purple or Jeff Beck...

Chuck

• Love 2

16 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Drove my "old Mercedes" (2001 e320 4matic wagon) at 110 mph (177kph) in a light rain after spending months 

Chuck

Know that kind of thrill. I was test-driving a new car once. I wanted to hear how good the stereo system was. I put in a CD with Eric Clapton’s “River of Tears” and was transported. I bought the car. It’s turn radius stunk but it had a great sound system.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

Congratulations! Wow 4matic!

For me it will be Janis Joplin when I'm reading this: Oh Lord won't you give me....

😂

wim

(who's quite happy with a simple 2017 Kia Niro which does 50 mpg US or 58.85 mpg UK or 1:21 or 4.8/100 in EU speak)

21 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

There's little opportunity for speed on our overcrowded roads, plus I'm getting to be too long in the tooth for that kind of thing, but as for music while trundling at a sedate pace,  Speedway at Nazareth by Mark Knopfler would be my choice. I generally turn up the volume when that track appears. I love the understated delivery of the climax of the song, "but at the speedway at Nazareth I made no mistake", then there is a fabulous instrumental section. Makes a change from Vaughan Williams on Classic FM.......

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Congratulations! Wow 4matic!

For me it will be Janis Joplin when I'm reading this: Oh Lord won't you give me....

😂

wim

(who's quite happy with a simple 2017 Kia Niro which does 50 mpg US or 58.85 mpg UK or 1:21 or 4.8/100 in EU speak)

Wim,

Have a stack of CDs, but just signed up for Apple Music and it is fun to be able to call up almost anything that I have not heard since

high school.... Was just listening to Rory Gallagher.  Even played George Clinton for my 13 year-old today.  I have always enjoyed Janis.

This old Benz has become a labor or love for me, currently over 150,000 miles,  There is still almost no traffic on the highways around

Boston, MA and the cops pay no attention to an old guy driving a station wagon.

Chuck

Had a lay in this morning and an easy going day today. Yesterday left early and got home around 11pm. Was a busy day, driving to Canterbury then Hastings, but only a 280 mile round trip. Weather better than expected, only had 3 hours of rain to avoid early afternoon, and of that 1.5 hours I was driving. Likely the last trip like that until our forthcoming lockdown ends.

• Love 1

On 31/10/2020 at 05:05, Chuck Nacke said:

Have a stack of CDs, but just signed up for Apple Music and it is fun to be able to call up almost anything that I have not heard since

high school.

I still love my old CDs. The woodburner's blazing, there's beer in the fridge, and I've chosen John Prine Prine to keep me company this evening. The perfect companion (if Jorma Kaukonen is busy)... 

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I saw a fat robin in the Jefferson Market Garden this morning. I asked it if it was, by any chance, born in my garden but it wasn't saying.

Paulette

Smart Robin. Keeping its business private. Maybe it thought you were going to ask for rent.

8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I still love my old CDs. The woodburner's blazing, there's beer in the fridge, and I've chosen John Prine Prine to keep me company this evening. The perfect companion (if Jorma Kaukonen is busy)... 

Listened to the Band, Last Waltz, this afternoon. Never been a fan of John Prine, but I did not appreciate Bob Dylan until I turned 60.....

Phoned the hair dresser and she brought my appointment forward from inside next lockdown. Going in at 11.00 am tomorrow.

Allan

• Love 1

I had a garage sale a couple of weeks ago (15-17th) with the help of my two daughters. We all wore masks, and the shoppers did also. We are all in the clear, now. 
I made a tidy sum, so did one of my daughters. The other daughter didn’t bring anything but her ability to work hard which is invaluable.
Today a veteran’s charity came and picked up what was left. My basement storage room and garage has never been this uncluttered. I had wanted to do this shortly after moving, but circumstances prevented it.  I’m not someone who gets along with clutter well. My kids always tell me I throw out the baby with the bath water! :D

In spite of selling numerous pairs of shoes, I still have...In my closets...not telling.
Anyway, at last pulling off the sale is my good thing. Let the shoes accumulate.

BTW. I had to promise my family that this was my last garage sale. My one son-in-law who has to do all the pole hanging and box-toting up basement stairs, and otherwise heavy-lifting is getting rather testy. :lol:

• Love 4

3 hours ago, Bella said:

I will be enjoying a glass of prosecco with a prawn cocktail while watching the Melbourne Cup this afternoon, also put a bet on as is the yearly tradition here :D

Did you make any money Bella? An outsider won.

29 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Did you make any money Bella? An outsider won.

Unfortunately not but my husband managed to pick second, with $5 each way he won $5... paid for my prosecco :D

I came home and continued uploading... try to recoup my $10 ;)

How about you?

1 minute ago, Bella said:

Unfortunately not but my husband managed to pick second, with $5 each way he won $5... paid for my prosecco :D

I came home and continued uploading... try to recoup my $10 ;)

How about you?

I didn't bet. Just spent my day beeing hostage to swooping magpies. Good reason to try and catch up on my mountain of images.

• Love 1

We went for a walk locally yesterday along the river Wear valley  and through the local parks in search of autumn colour. The display doesn't match that seen elsewhere, there are no deep reds, but it's still beautiful. Carrying only the diminutive RX100, I managed to accumulate a few decent photos to upload. It's strange that you see some new compositions, despite having walked the route many times. I'm grateful that, despite our advancing years, my wife and I are still able to get about on foot or by using a bicycle.

Plus, a new bike shop has opened locally and they will have a crank extractor for me to pick up today 😇

Edited by Bryan

9 hours ago, John Richmond said:

No cycle crank extractor photos on Alamy, Bryan

tool, repair, special, maintenance, bike, bicycle, cycle, tool, isolated, - Stock Image

It's that black thingy.

And here it's in use:

Bicycle assembly in workshop, man installs crank - Stock Image

2CW03EM or 2AYAGX5 or 2AYAGX2 or 2AYAGWD or 2AYAGWW or 2AYAGWG or 2AYAGX3 or PCK3MK or PCK3MR

But you're right with 8,273 sesults for bicycle tool, it's remarkable how few images there actually are of decent bike tools. And how few understand what's been going on in their own pictures. Could be a translation thing of course.

wim

edit: I now see that even in this good clear image of this mechanic taking a crank off, it says Bicycle assembly in workshop, man installs crank.

No he doesn't.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic