Post a good thing that happened in your life today

The high potassium in bananas is supposed to be good to cure cramps. The magnesium in nuts is also supposed to be good.

Paulette

My good thing, I had a four hour, socially-distanced visit with an old friend today. I have a decent-sized garage, so I swept it up a bit and ran a fan for added air circulation with the large doors open, too. It was great to catch up.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 07/10/2020 at 17:16, Ed Rooney said:

Good to hear that things are going well for you in the well-run city state of Singapore, Gui. 🙂

Last night (today starts at midnight) I slept soundly until the phone alarm woke me at 7:30. That's the first time in many years that I did not wake up with foot and leg cramps. Why? Two months ago I decided to stop taking the statin Rx that my NYC doctors prescribed. 

Edo

Hi Edo, unfortunately unemployment rate went up 3.4%, worse than the 2009 financial crisis. For me am practicing self affirmation, seems like working bit by bit despite during this turmoil. 

A great pub lunch in my local of 30 years ago, courtesy of friend who prefers not to eat alone. Vast roof-tiles of steak and gorgonzola pie and chips for us and Barbary duck (see uploads) for OH.

First time in a pub since February, so a pint of Youngs ordinary (or whatever it's called nowadays). And wine and more wine.

This one is from 2012 but you get my drift.

D1CCHC.jpg

Edit: Youngs London Original. Hmph.

Edited by spacecadet

Today there are some birthdays to celebrate/observe

1873 – Karl Schwarzschild (old greybeards will remember his -effect on film exposure)
1907 – Jacques Tati (Jour de fête! Monsieur Hulot's Holiday! But above all: Mon Oncle!  - he died in 1982)
1911 – Joe Rosenthal (Iwo Jima - died in 2006 at 94)
1935 – Don McCullin (84)

1947 - France Gall (Poupee de Cire, Poupee de Son - Eurovision Song Contest 1965 - she died in 2018 aged 70)
1975 – Sean Lennon (son of:

1940 - John (who would have celebrated his 80th birthday today)

And yes 1966 - David Cameron the one who gave you that referendum. (53 now)

After listening to some lovely France Gall and John Lennon music while keywording some traffic lights:

2D38FRB.jpg

it turned out (researching those) it's also the 53rd anniversary of the death of Che Guevara (aged 39 in 1967).

So since that moment I'm listening to my playlist of Hasta Siempre Commandante.

This is one of my favorite versions. And this one makes me quite nostalgic.

The playlist is over 400 long, but I'm sure there are some duplicates in there, but not a whole lot 😁.

Some more extremely long playlists of mine include: Ghost Riders in the Sky (2; 3)

And the also appropriate:

Les Feuilles Mortes -Autumn Leaves for most of you (Chet Baker, Eva Cassidy live at the Blues Alley DC - for if you need a good cry.)

Both over 250 items long. 😎

wim

Edit: Pruned back my Hasta Siempre collection, weeding out all false attributions and duplicates. Result: 324 versions with correct performers and 22 with unknown ones.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

First curry for a long time last night with exactly 6 of us. Shami kebak and saali duck, great to be back but with a mad chuck-out at 2145 thanks to the latest swivel-eyed regulations.

You have to wear a mask unless seated and my glasses steamed up as always (the demisting trick doesn't stop them getting cold) so I had to take them off and get a friend to point to the table. Should have tried a flipping white stick.

Edited by spacecadet

Not today but close enough, yesterday. 

Finally revisited Pin Mill after a long long time. Car park in Pin Mill Lane was full, not unexpected. Free village car park was being resurfaced, found a side road to park in. Was in a time warp, not much changed since I last visited other than the decaying wooden hulks had decayed a little more. Rained a little soon after arrival, but no problem. The rain drove away what appeared to be a camera club outing. Should have gone back to the car for my wellies but my trainers only sunk into mud a few times. Have a good percentage of keepers. The newly acquired C1 returned a good mpg, was almost all A41, M25 and A12, no traffic issues. A most enjoyable trip into Suffolk. 

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

Visited Lincoln city this morning. Had a nice time taking photos and conversing with people. The boss in Grayz Tea Room, where I stopped for lunch, recognised me from a visit I made back in August last year. That made my day.   Must get stuck in and get the images uploaded to the big A now.

Allan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Visited Lincoln city this morning. Had a nice time taking photos and conversing with people. The boss in Grayz Tea Room, where I stopped for lunch, recognised me from a visit I made back in August last year. That made my day.   Must get stuck in and get the images uploaded to the big A now.

Allan

I went to Lincoln for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I'm wading through my images as we speak.

John.

45 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I went to Lincoln for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I'm wading through my images as we speak.

John.

Wish I had known we could have met up. Socially distancing of course. I might have been able to help you.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Wish I had known we could have met up. Socially distancing of course. I might have been able to help you.

Allan

Allan,

The next time I'm over your way I'll get in touch, thanks.

John.

Not earth shattering but a good thing nevertheless I guess is going from two to three stars QC! Noticed this today having been two stars since joining in March this year. So, thank you Alamy and I hope this helps the visibility of my images and the speed of checking. Anything positive is good news at this time.

• Like 1

The sky over Jinotega stopped raining enough to flood my courtyard.   My helper got the mess from the weekend's overflow into the house cleaned up on Monday.   Some my plants seem to love the rain and an orchid that I wasn't sure would make it is growing some new roots.  One of my cats is doing pole dancing (walking) on the poles that support my shower curtains and clothes, but no photos suitable for Alamy yet, just some with the iPad for Facebook.   Culled photos from my portfolio yesterday, then today sent in 9 older ones and one new one to Alamy for approval or not.

I finished the log store to replace the, er, log pile. My woodwork is dreadful but my Dexion is excellent.

Also, a boot jack so we don't have to dance around to get them off. Just a drawer front with a "V" cut in it and a step underneath so you can stand on it with the other foot for leverage. We used to have a lovely iron one in the form of a friendly- looking beetle with curly antennae but the local scum stole it for scrap.

Like heck did I remember to take pictures.

Edited by spacecadet

Are there really more bad things than good?

OH said she fancied something wicked last night. We'd already done that, but the new homebrew isn't half bad.

Edited by spacecadet
On 07/10/2020 at 18:10, NYCat said:

The high potassium in bananas is supposed to be good to cure cramps. The magnesium in nuts is also supposed to be good.

Paulette

I took potassium for cramps, bit it didn’t help. Magnesium did the job. I’ve had leg cramps since I was a child.

16 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I took potassium for cramps, bit it didn’t help. Magnesium did the job. I’ve had leg cramps since I was a child.

I just like bananas and nuts.

Allan

I just got some good news about a cat-sitting client. I was asked to start taking care of her cat because she was in the hospital for "something serious" and would be having surgery. Today I got an email informing me that it was a benign brain tumor and she is doing well. Sounds like a really frightening experience -- for her and for her family. The kitty is a sweetheart and I get to continue to take care of her for now.

Paulette

• Like 4

Bitter sweet. Picked the last of the greenhouse tomatoes and enjoyed them with my lunch. I'll have to wait a long time before experiencing a tasty tomato again. The Mrs doesn't like uncooked tomatoes, so I get to have first choice. 

Got stuck in and emptied most of my greenhouse pots then cleaned them with abundant rainwater and disinfectant. Not an unpleasant task on a mild day. My wife's cousin was a professional gardener and he recalls having to break the ice in a bath of water in order to wash pots when he was an apprentice.

I use black plastic buckets with holes in the bottom to grow tomatoes, the handles are useful when carrying them full of compost, and they cost a fraction of the genuine horticultural article.

Started to collect fallen leaves to make leaf mould for the crop in 2 years time.

Completed and handed in my seed order for next year at the allotment - we get discount prices via the National Allotment Society. The gardening year is coming to an end but there is promise of things to come.

Good to have things to do 🙂

Last but not least, I've just had a glass of Merlot handed to me, dinner coming shortly. 🙂🙂

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought I'd finish 7c under but some overdues have just cleared so I'll be getting a bit of loot out of Alamy this month after all.

Edited by spacecadet
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I thought I'd finish 7c under but some overdues have just cleared so I'll be getting a bit of loot out of Alamy this month after all.

Me too.

Allan

I made a coconut cream pie this morning. I’m giving half of the pie to my neighbors. Mike has done so much for me, helped me with this and that. Stuff a man does, and I’ve lost my handyman.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sounds like a good symbiotic relationship!  I’d do handyman stuff for coconut cream pie!

Lol. I called Mike and asked, “Do you and Darla like coconut cream pie?”

He answered, “Does a bear (his polite words) use the bathroom in the woods?” :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1